• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruce Straley Leaves Naughty Dog

Where do you think Bruce Straley will end up next?

Results are only viewable after voting.
It’s impossible to summarize 18 of the most influential years of my career in a blog post, but here we are — today, with the heaviest of hearts, I am announcing my departure from Naughty Dog.

This has been the hardest decision of my career. Naughty Dog is home. The Kennel is family. I’ve learned and grown so much from working with this incredible team. But after heading up three extremely demanding projects, and taking some extended time away from the office, I found my energy focusing in other directions, and I slowly realized this was the signal that it’s time to move on.

I joined the Kennel in 1999 as a texture artist on Crash Team Racing. Back before Naughty Dog even had a coffee maker. I was employee #15. From day one, I knew I was surrounded by some of the most talented, driven, and passionate people in the industry. They were pushing themselves to do things beyond what they even thought was possible, which in turn pushed me, and I loved it! I mean, it was also extremely intimidating, but the energy and determination to make something great, something we could all be proud of, was infectious. And that’s the way it still is to this day.

I’m leaving Naughty Dog with the strongest team it’s ever had, and that’s saying a lot. But more than the talent, it’s the people that I’ll miss the most. The work culture at Naughty Dog is about getting out of your seat and solving problems together. It’s what has allowed me to build so many friendships and gain so much respect for this stellar group of people. I get it¬ —“it’s just work” — but when you spend as much time as we do together, in the pressure cooker of creative work and deadlines, you really get to know a person. And I’ve had my share of difficult and humbling moments. But having the privilege to see people grow beyond their concept of what’s possible for themselves technically, creatively, and personally has been the most rewarding aspect of my job and continues to motivate me to do the same. I’m so proud to have been a part of this team. I can’t wait to see what they create in the future.

With the deepest gratitude — thank you to everyone I’ve gotten to work with over the years. I’ll miss you and your energy profoundly. Thanks to Andy and Jason for taking a chance on me and setting the bar. Thanks to Amy and Neil for being great creative partners. Thanks to Christophe for all the support and inspiration — I’ve learned so much from you. And an extra special thanks to Evan Wells. You were the first person I met who truly inspired me to believe in the power of gaming, and if not for you I may never have made it to Naughty Dog in the first place. My appreciation goes way beyond what words can say.

And a sincere thanks to the fans. Knowing I was a part of creating something that touched or moved any of you made this whole thing worthwhile — and now I, too, get to anticipate the next Naughty Dog masterpiece!

As I close this chapter with a heavy heart and an appreciation for everything Naughty Dog has done for me, I open the next with an excitement to continue the journey into the creative process. I don’t have anything to announce just yet, but I look forward to the discovery and to sharing it with you all soon.

Dog for life,
Bruce Straley

https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/a_m...witter&utm_campaign=Naughty Dog&sf113826121=1

idonteven

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

giphy.gif

Not shocked. I have been calling this for a while

Taking a year off after U4 just smelled of waiting out a contract.

Best of luck to him and where ever he goes.

BigEmil

Fuck, the last good director of Naughty Dog has left... ND no longer one of my top studios

Their shift to interactive movies instead of full on gameplay games nowadays is sad, gone are the days of Crash and Jak

Nephtes

You gave us some good stuff in the last 20ish years Bruce. God speed, and good luck in your future endeavors.

Your Uncharted 2 will always be the Naughty Dog GOAT for me...

Cardon

Damn. Sucks in one way, but good on Bruce for going out on top and not letting the work completely burn him out to the point where he hates the industry.

Aurongel

Not shocking after a sabbatical. Dude deserves all the rest he can get after shipping a few titles that pushed the medium forward in their own ways.

ND is in good hands.

Lifeline

I guess Lost Legacy was a test and since the game did well without Straley or Druckmann, probably doesn't feel a responsibility to stay.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Game Director on the only 4 titles from Naughty Dog I really like: Uncharted 2, The Last of Us, The Last of Us Expansion, and Uncharted 4.

(note: I still haven't played through Lost Legacy)

Hope he gets more opportunities to direct games!

pantsmith

Cool dude. Thanks for all the great games.

Also if I can plug Blood, Sweat, and Pixels for a moment, there is a whole chapter on the insane workload and burnout of working on Uncharted 4 - especially for a studio of perfectionists aiming to create a GOTY contender.

Frankly not at all surprised, based on his insane level of involvement after already being heavily involved with The Last of Us. I wish him well wherever he ends up!

Man, the fucking Druckmann jokes aren't the least funny, just so you know.

Word, they seem to be very close colleagues and collaborators and have great chemistry together. I'm sure neither of them is excited to give up the working relationship.

Shit. I hope TLOU2 turns out alright. Can't blame him for needing time off, though - he's done amazing work but also clearly worked himself to the bone. Best of luck to him in whatever he does next.

After reading Schreier's book, he absolutely needed this. Glad he was able to step away and hope the heavy toll his work took can heal.

Thanks for everything Bruce.

SheHateMe

And after reading the Uncharted 4 chapter in PSF's book, this makes me sad, but nod my head in agreement.

Good luck and Godspeed, Bruce.

mattp

shit. if i understood correctly, straley was like the gameplay director while druckmann directed story and cutscenes(maybe im way off here)

i hope this doesnt effect tlou2

Top Bottom