• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brawl is one of the best examples of what the Wii could do over the GCN. Side by side, Brawl is so much more detailed than Melee it's not funny.

i think it also had a lot to do with the developers familiarity with the system(s). melee was released pretty much near the gamecube's launch if i remember correctly.

Nibel

Brawl is one of the best examples of what the Wii could do over the GCN. Side by side, Brawl is so much more detailed than Melee it's not funny.

Yup. They even showed the difference in the first reveal trailer (ignore Kirby). Link looks way better in Brawl for example.

Javier

The potential for the next smash bros game is so damn high. They could create some really amazing environments and character models. Really gonna be a thing of beauty.
Which is why they need to have a teaser trailer ready for E3. Even if it's just 20 seconds of non-gameplay animation, they'll hit it out of the park right there.

BD1

Banned
The potential for the next smash bros game is so damn high. They could create some really amazing environments and character models. Really gonna be a thing of beauty.

I'm actually most excited for the stages in Smash 4. More so than any new characters. Beautiful Nintendo worlds, spanning 30 years, in beautiful HD graphics. Can't wait.

I'm still betting on grezzo to develop the next portable zelda.

I think that as well. Especially if they use the OoT 3D engine.

I'm actually most excited for the stages in Smash 4. More so than any new characters. Beautiful Nintendo worlds, spanning 30 years, in beautiful HD graphics. Can't wait.

More important than the resolution is the possibility of getting more chaotically interactive environments!

One of the reasons why I forgave Mario Kart Wii for its unfathomably disappointing Battle Mode was the addition of deformable levels. It's so great when you're not working on a static playfield!

what is so hard about quoting the images?

Effect

MH3's problems:

- It runs at a sub-SD resolution, 360p if I remember right. Black border around the screen plus blurriness. On the kinda-plus side, no real jaggies I guess.
- Bloom out the ass. Every light source was bloomified. Made it look kinda ugly.

The character models are great however, especially the monsters, and the environments actually hold up really well too -- better than any Zelda game, but the drawback there is that the entire game needed loading screens every 50 feet. I would kill for a Monster Hunter game that was zone-less. I know that's part of the strategy, but the world feels so nice and alive but that takes me out of it every time.

I'm very interested in seeing MH3G in person because it potentially has solved the resolution issue, and due to that bloom might not be as noticeable. Aside from that I would imagine loading times are much shorter due to the cartridge medium.

Wow. Didn't realize the resolution was that low. It would explain things. The character are what I had issue with not so much the creatures, monsters, etc. The bloom though. *shakes head* I assume it would look better on the 3DS do to the smaller screen. Part of why I want it to come out.

I prefer they're not quoted in their initial appearance. Makes us have to take extra steps to see it in full size, but it's already sucked our bandwidth either way.

I generally use the strategy of making a smaller version of the pic and embedding it in a post with a link to the full size.

All this Skyward Sword talk has reminded me that I bought this game on Black Friday and never once bothered to boot it up.

I really need to clear up my backlog, one of these days.

Your post doesn't make sense at all.

Whatabout it doesn't make sense? I found the game to be a visual cancer to the eyes. It isn't due to it not being a graphical masterpiece. It's due to the Wii hardware, as it looks much better on the PC from what I have seen. Looking at a game like SMG on the Wii didn't look nearly as bad as Zelda.

Shiggy

I always thought it was.

Now don't be silly. It looked nice in 2001, but later titles on GCN looked much better.

SmashBrosMeleeFight.jpg

Still, it was such a great titles, with doing pretty much everything better than its successor. A not boring singleplayer-mode with Nintendo-themed stages, varied multiplayer stages that weren't all pretty much the same, no stupid power ups like that ball or trophies.

The difference is night and day though.

Galaxy and Sunshine is a better one.

Or RE 4 and Darkside Chronicles or Dead Space Extraction.

I don't even know what you are trying to tell me, sorry.

The only really bad thing about SS was its aliasing. But that's a problem every Wii games have.

Just admit you didnt like the artstyle they went with.

I am definitely not a fan of the artwork but that wasn't the worst of it. The washed out color, the lack of antialiasing, the textures, it just look so terrible IMO.

Gravijah

I prefer they're not quoted in their initial appearance. Makes us have to take extra steps to see it in full size, but it's already sucked our bandwidth either way.

yes, it always annoys me when people use the quote function to post an image that requires resizing to actually see.

EVIL

*Posts 3 awesome high rez pictures of nintendo titles*

you know, Nintendo's game assets scale really well. I would be almost content with just a HD versions of current Wii titles and I really hope the Wii U is backwards compatible.

Brawl is better tha Melee in every single way IMO

I was going to say something snarky about this, but…

It turns out that for competitive tournament players, the more deterministic nature of Melee is more useful.

It also turns out that for many who like fun where good players have to work harder to be better than less competent players (which is the case in my local gaming group), lots of chaos and random options is more enjoyable.

Portugeezer

Thing is, we already saw, a year ago, a real-time demo where two separate 360-quality* scenes (one 720p, one 480p) were simultaneously rendered by Wii U development hardware. Any Developer has the option of putting a simple, 2D (or very limited 3D) scene on the subscreen without having to take a hit on the main display.

If the hardware is somehow otherwise slower than the 360, then that's gotta be some impressive ZDRAM in there, pumping up that demo…

Looked better than anything on the 360 (Garden demo?)

Looked better than anything on the 360 (Garden demo?)

Aye. I'm lowballing here (hence my footnote), as it could just be that it's capable computationally of equivalent or just slightly greater than 360 performance per screen but that the added gpu features just make it prettier.

When I chat with people who are perhaps overly pessimistic, I err on the side of pessimism. When I chat with people who are overly optimistic, I err on the side of optimism.

Good gods! (edit: Sorry, came across that while searching for Nintendo's horsebag patent)

balance_board_vibratevpxpc.jpg

Filed: 22/4/10 - Published: 10/11/11

It's from the Japanese patent office.

Having difficulties ATM to post the source. (site doesn't allow direct linking it seems)

…wait, it's tethered to the Wii Remote? This seems like a rather horrible design.

(or maybe it means that it's wirelessly connected to the remote; still, it shows that they didn't think things through very well, I believe)

Now don't be silly. It looked nice in 2001, but later titles on GCN looked much better.

SmashBrosMeleeFight.jpg

Still, it was such a great titles, with doing pretty much everything better than its successor. A not boring singleplayer-mode with Nintendo-themed stages, varied multiplayer stages that weren't all pretty much the same, no stupid power ups like that ball or trophies.

Nope. Brawl does a lot of things better. The majority, in fact. There are some things that I think were better in Melee, but the improvements Brawl made eclipse them. I try going back to Melee once and a while, only to ask myself "why"

Doesn't it seem like vibration below your feet might throw you off balance? That's not a sensation we feel every day.

And if they decide to limit the amount of vibration to make sure it's not a risk, then what's the point?

Doesn't it seem like vibration below your feet might throw you off balance? That's not a sensation we feel every day.

And if they decide to limit the amount of vibration to make sure it's not a risk, then what's the point?

Is the rumble in Star Fox 64 supposed to cause you to screw up your controls?

It's an immersion thing.

Wolfie5

Since you last posted here? *stalks* Yes, a little bit.

#4160: Farsight studios Pinball Arcade coming to Wii U

#4321: patent diagram for Wii U controller's dock connector

#4372: patent diagram for Balance Board "rumble pack" accessory

A new game has been revealed?... sure it´s not a big game, but it does seem like there are some news that just gets burried in this thread.

Would be nice to have some kind of update on the first page when these kind of news happen.

Hope you make the next thread GameplayWhore. I really appreciate when you give the brief summaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom