• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6: Bro-Splosion Announced, Nov 20 PS3/360, PC Later, PR/Trailer In OP

I like the trailer, but my concern with what looks like them completely embracing the "shooter" part of the series is that it's going to end up being Modern Resident Evil: Warfare with no sense of atmosphere or pacing that RE4 had. I mean, RE5 was already leaning on that side of the scale, but this one looks like they're tipping it over completely. I'm sure it'll be fun, but will it be RE4 fun (memorable) or RE5 fun (great in co-op but ultimately forgettable)

StuBurns

Banned
I can't stop imagining how this RE 6 feels to the father of the series, or how he would have handled it.

Like, tango gameworks has got the very core resident evil team members and his creator.
too bad I don't know japanese, someone should interview him.
His last game was the purest action game in the TPS genre, and RE seems to just be following where he headed with 4, I doubt he's disappointed by the direction the series has taken.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
I like the trailer, but my concern with what looks like them completely embracing the "shooter" part of the series is that it's going to end up being Modern Resident Evil: Warfare with no sense of atmosphere or pacing that RE4 had

yeah, i am concerned about this too. it's a pretty difficult thing to balance, i think. i imagine RE4 went through lots of tweaking--hell, its long development time and multiple revisions support this view. i imagine since it started as much more survival horror-esque then slowly seeped over into slightly more actiony territory, this helped to mediate its less traditional elements.

hard to say though. i would feel more confident if s.mikami was being consulted, at least, but what are you gonna do? i'm sure this team is super talented. it just takes a pretty keen eye for design to pay attention to the more complex elements you mention, like atmosphere, pacing.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Survival horror genre is dead. All hail action games.

I loved 4 and 5, so I'm definitely down for 6. I would have liked to see Claire back though. It's been a while.

I would like to see Co-op handled like RE2 handled the multiple storylines. 2 characters that are off doing there own thing but interact every now and then although it wouldn't be necessary. They would be able to communicate the whole game though. So one character would be experiencing things and telling the other "I just saw some crazy monster, if you ever come across this area watch out". Sometimes the scariest thing can be someone describing a possible threat. And if there are parts where they might worry about the other breaking tension the communicator can malfunction. I think that would be a cool concept.

Besides Hunnigan that girl looks like the policewoman chick from the terrible cgi movie, the one with mega boobs (which is the only thing I remember from it)

Hmmm, I'll hold out judgement on this one. I was burned pretty badly by 5, and sold it after becoming bored with it halfway through. Resident Evil 5 was polished and controlled fine, but in the end was just an action game. Despite the darker setting here I'm still getting a little of that vibe. I'm no nostalgia whore, and I know that things need to evolve, so I'll give this a fair shake, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say a part of me would like to see some of the atmosphere that RE2 managed to create in its opening chapters.

Famitsu's got a nice recap of what was discussed at the Premium Party.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201201/20008747.html

No info one optional co-op and I don't think I remember hearing it during the telecast. Any source on it?

Well that sucks if true.

The source for optional co-op is this guy, who found the info via the presentation.

The capcom livestream had a 30 minutes presentation about resident evil 6.

I can't find a decent translation.

edit: It seems the co-op is completely optional. If you choose to play single player, the AI partner is not there with you.

Here's the presentation if anyone wants to translate,

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-...entation-some-new-details-translation-needed/

the TMO

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/008/747/4f195ee23795e.html

This is the ganados village, or am I wrong?

also, cant unsee:

1v1vz88fjwowi.jpg

Dyno

My only concern is that this will be multiple short stories, meaning you'll switch from one character to another. This means the upgrade path for all characters is going to be truncated.

Hopefully each level is really well done and ripe for mutiple playthroughs in a structure similar to RE5. That way the game can still take advantage of max. upgrades and unlocks. It goes a long way to add sticking power to the game.

cvxfreak

Just rewatched the broadcast and no one said anything about the game's single player or co-op system.

Only new thing I can provide that I didn't tweet was the 150+ person dev team size. Other tidbits like "people may not be able to tell what is gameplay and what is a cutscene" go without saying.

(I'm reasonably fluent in Japanese so I wouldn't miss something crucial like this)

LiK

Just rewatched the broadcast and no one said anything about the game's single player or co-op system.

Only new thing I can provide that I didn't tweet was the 150+ person dev team size. Other tidbits like "people may not be able to tell what is gameplay and what is a cutscene" go without saying.

(I'm reasonably fluent in Japanese so I wouldn't miss something crucial like this)
I'm assuming coop is same as RE5 for now. That one part in the trailer where the girl was reviving the bald guy proves it's the same to me.

Thanks cvx, tons of info, finally a name for Leon's wonderful partner.

"Kobayashi, Sasaki and Hirabayashi to explain Biohazard 6 now. They are aiming for a game of the highest quality and emphasizing more on fear"

come on guys at least give them a chance, if they're saying that they're going to emphasize fear, they're the developers and I'll trust their word until I find out otherwise.

Nessus

Yeah some of the dialogue in the trailer is a little bit clunky, but compared to previous Resident Evil games, or pretty much any other Japanese game, it sounds like they've actually put some effort into getting someone who actually speaks English natively to clean up the dialogue.

Or maybe they only cherry-picked the best stuff for the trailer.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Thanks cvx, tons of info, finally a name for Leon's wonderful partner.

"Kobayashi, Sasaki and Hirabayashi to explain Biohazard 6 now. They are aiming for a game of the highest quality and emphasizing more on fear"

come on guys at least give them a chance, if they're saying that they're going to emphasize fear, they're the developers and I'll trust their word until I find out otherwise.
I think they are already succeeding in instilling fear to their fans.

To be fair, what else would they say to the RE fans? "Yeah, we're ditching the whole 'horror' thing. Kinda played out. Action movie mode is in, baby!"

And the same PR was used with RE5 and we all know how that turned out. RE6 is definitely going in the same direction. I just hope it plays better than 5.

Top Bottom