• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

neoemonk

Can i control all the font sizes yet? My PC is hooked up to my TV, and I couldn't read most of the text in the game back in December.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Where in the world is the folder that contains your custom UI's? I can't find them anywhere.

Grymm

Banned
Have logged in exactly twice in the last two weeks.

I knew what to expect with 1.2 and had low expectations. Some how it managed to be even worse than anything I had imagined.

Logged in, customized UI.

Opened the Legacy tab, loled a whole lot at "Coming Soon", loled even more thinking about stereotypical EAWare fans planning out their family tree while simultaneously still working on the exact chemical composition of Talis butt sweat.

Played 1 Warzone, it was Huttball which is fine, that's my favorite (which doesn't mean much because none of them are really any good). Something is seriously wrong with the pvp. It was bad before, but something is way worse now. Classes doing too much damage or taking too much damage or both, I don't know but it was all out of whack.

Guild was going for some server firsts on the new OP. Had no interest.

Logged out.

It's fascinating to me how bad this game actually is. You all know it whether you want to admit it or not. EAWare knows it. The free month they're giving out now, just in time for their earnings meeting, isn't an olive branch, it's desperation. Game tanked hard and there's no way to cover it up anymore. Truly fascinating. Game design schools should have an extra credit class titled "TOR: This is how you fuck up a video game 101".

Finally finish installing game assets, download and start installing English assets...get an error at 40%...currently having to repair "1 file" that is apparently larger than the entire patch 1.2 because it's going to take another 3 hours to finish. Seriously, this is appalling, and if I wasn't getting a free month I would quit right here and now.

EDIT: and now the number of files I have to repair has magically increased to 8, joy!

Zafir

Mixed opinions.

I love that I'm no longer stuck in huttball all day. Excellent change. Was getting sick of that warzone. Now you get a nice variety of Huttball, the new one and Voidstar. Just using warzone comms for gear is a step forward too. Prior to the patch I was rank 68 and still only had 3 BM pieces thanks to having terrible luck with comm drops.

Some of the class changes are a bit iffy. Still think they nerfed Sorc and Merc healing too much. Something needed to be done, but they went to the extreme.

The set bonuses being assigned to armouring seems broken. I swapped the mods out of my helm into an empty moddable one, and it did correctly recognise it being part of the set at first. However after flying myself back to the fleet, it's no longer recognises it.

Sound seems to be funny too since the patch. Ambience noises have turned up really loud, meaning you get an horrible speeder/turbine/machine kind of noise on the fleet unless you turn ambience down in the settings. I've heard crackling under certain circumstances, like when you get all those dauntless(Win the game in a certain amount of time) medals at the end of a warzone game. Plus I've even had my sound completely disappear besides the ambience noises at some points.

Francois424

Neo Member
Sound seems to be funny too since the patch. Ambience noises have turned up really loud, meaning you get an horrible speeder/turbine/machine kind of noise on the fleet unless you turn ambience down in the settings. I've heard crackling under certain circumstances, like when you get all those dauntless(Win the game in a certain amount of time) medals at the end of a warzone game. Plus I've even had my sound completely disappear besides the ambience noises at some points.

Ditto... very annoying. Also our companions volume is way to low.

Didnt have much of a chance to play but did manage to do my family tree.
Let's hope it will produce interesting results down the line.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
New warzone was extremely underwhelming. It's just alderaan with a different spin. All these maps are too boring man, they just copy paste some terrain and place three nodes in a line or a triangle--this game really needs an alterac valley type warzone. Legacy bonuses are really really expensive... hope the dailies are semi-fun -_-.

As for class changes, I've seen 0 concealment ops (or maybe I just didn't feel them lol), and I can kill sorcs pretty easily now. Feel like they got nerfed a bit too hard. Mercs on the other hand are as unkillable as ever with a guard... (that 15 second interrupt immunity WITH a damage reduction is ridiculous). Operative healers seem great, I got one down to 10-20% and all of a sudden he shoots back to 100, have no idea how--maybe a combination of his emergency 30% heal and a health pot + dots? They seem like they take the most direct damage but can heal it more quickly than other healers (spiky healers).

gatti-man

New warzone was extremely underwhelming. It's just alderaan with a different spin. All these maps are too boring man, they just copy paste some terrain and place three nodes in a line or a triangle--this game really needs an alterac valley type warzone. Legacy bonuses are really really expensive... hope the dailies are semi-fun -_-.

As for class changes, I've seen 0 concealment ops (or maybe I just didn't feel them lol), and I can kill sorcs pretty easily now. Feel like they got nerfed a bit too hard. Mercs on the other hand are as unkillable as ever with a guard... (that 15 second interrupt immunity WITH a damage reduction is ridiculous). Operative healers seem great, I got one down to 10-20% and all of a sudden he shoots back to 100, have no idea how--maybe a combination of his emergency 30% heal and a health pot + dots? They seem like they take the most direct damage but can heal it more quickly than other healers (spiky healers).

The new wz is ok only because its hilarious. Keep penetrating! The wz must have said that atleast 30 times while I played. By the end I couldn't stop laughing. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Cystm

I knew what to expect with 1.2 and had low expectations. Some how it managed to be even worse than anything I had imagined.

Opened the Legacy tab, loled a whole lot at "Coming Soon", loled even more thinking about stereotypical EAWare fans planning out their family tree while simultaneously still working on the exact chemical composition of Talis butt sweat.

Played 1 Warzone, it was Huttball which is fine, that's my favorite (which doesn't mean much because none of them are really any good). Something is seriously wrong with the pvp. It was bad before, but something is way worse now. Classes doing too much damage or taking too much damage or both, I don't know but it was all out of whack.

Logged out.

It's fascinating to me how bad this game actually is. You all know it whether you want to admit it or not. EAWare knows it. The free month they're giving out now, just in time for their earnings meeting, isn't an olive branch, it's desperation. Game tanked hard and there's no way to cover it up anymore. Truly fascinating. Game design schools should have an extra credit class titled "TOR: This is how you fuck up a video game 101".

wuX3D.jpg

You are trying way too hard.

CzarTim

I am actually totally okay with the mando nerf. Healing feels more engaded now, and using my ammo savers is now a must rather than a last resort. I'm doing about 100-200k less heals a round, but I am enjoying it more now. (I use to just zone out and watch the bars fill up.)

I can abandon my old quests finally! About time jeebus

Still can't abandon Stay Frosty :-/

Logged out.

Raaaaagggeeee

Effect

Do the number of elites (for none heroic missions) you have to fight just keep increasing till you get the end of the class quest?

I've been trying to get to the end of my Jedi Sage class story before my time runs out at the end of the month. Level 40 now and just arrived on Belsavis. Starting to wonder if it's going to be worth dealing with those enemies just to get to the end or if I should just punch out now. Especailly now that I have Xenoblade to play (but there is no interaction with other gamers while I play since it's single player) I don't mind the Strong enemies. They tend to give a decent challenge when it's just me and my companion, especially when there are more then one. Elites I can simply do without. Many I can just bypass if I don't really need the experience the mission might give but if they keep increasing in class story missions I'm not sure if I have the patience to deal with them anymore. They suck out the little fun I get out of the combat. It simply becomes a situation of not screwing up the ability rotation or I can end up dying very quickly. No room for mistakes I'm finding.

aett

I love the Arsenal Merc changes. The new Tracer Missle animation is much better, and it's cool how Unload triggers more often, which more than makes up for Tracer Missle's 10% damage reduction (along with Heatseeker Missles doing 10% more). It sucks that Death From Above was nerfed a bit, but that was mostly something I used prior to level 50.

vilmer_

Woa 17 medals? The buff to master strike is insane, I was worried about the 3 added seconds to the force sweep cd, but it seems like Guardians are just fine and then some.

neoemonk

Patched last night to try to take advantage of this free week. I'm not sure if I qualify. I never paid for a second month. I went to log in but apparently they are applying a patch so the servers are down. Ugh.

Patched last night to try to take advantage of this free week. I'm not sure if I qualify. I never paid for a second month. I went to log in but apparently they are applying a patch so the servers are down. Ugh.

I never paid for a 2nd month and I was able to log in half an hour ago.

Benhur

Looked about the same to me, including the horrendous lack of AA that turned me off the game originally.

Not trying to be smart, but did you scoll down for the character AA option? I checked that, and while the game bogged down a bit, the character models looked better.

Not trying to be smart, but did you scoll down for the character AA option? I checked that, and while the game bogged down a bit, the character models looked better.

It isn't the character models that are the problem. Look at that background.

Even more than that, the real problem is when you move around. Everything that is made up of lots of straight lines shimmers and flickers because of the jaggies adjusting to your camera angle. It's an incredibly ugly graphical effect. There are a lot of straight edges and lines in a sci-fi game like this.

This might not affect everyone, I don't know. I do know I wasn't the only one close to launch who was experiencing shitty aliasing.
The game has AA..... there's even two different AA settings
I post a screenshot of my in-game AA settings on high... and you post this in response....

Yeah...

Dunlop

Didn't try the new Ops or WZ last night as I am frantically trying to make my sorc raid ready for next week (the columni Gods have not been nice to me in my FP's)

I did however play with the new UI and while a huge step in the right direction as a primary raid healer the Operation Panel is a flaming piece of shit.

No option to display the party member horizontally...bad (but personal preference)
Making the first group appear at the top left of the box instead of bottom left, where it would grow upwards as more groups are added is fucking brutal. I'm forced to put the ops pain in the bottom middle of the screen an my action bars around it or the first group will be in the middle of the screen...made worse that if you try to cast an AOE and you need to place it and happen to touch a raid frame..you can't

arg!

/end rant

gatti-man

It isn't the character models that are the problem. Look at that background.

Even more than that, the real problem is when you move around. Everything that is made up of lots of straight lines shimmers and flickers because of the jaggies adjusting to your camera angle. It's an incredibly ugly graphical effect. There are a lot of straight edges and lines in a sci-fi game like this.

This might not affect everyone, I don't know. I do know I wasn't the only one close to launch who was experiencing shitty aliasing.

I post a screenshot of my in-game AA settings on high... and you post this in response....

Yeah...

Idk what's up with your system or what res you run at but for me I never get results like that plus you can always force more aa if you want.

The game does look better than it did. Character textures are much better, night and day better.

ooh, just realized that 'quitters' get a free week to remind ourselves why we quit.

Will be on later today to see what's up.

Are JK/SW OP yet???? D:

In pvp they always were. Pve no not yet doubt they ever will be too.

Well, found out the set bonus thing 100% doesn't work. I made orange augmented gear and swapped my columi stuff and no dice. 500k down the tubes, another 500k to fix it. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

FLEABttn

Banned
I enjoyed the new FP, but the healer we found was terrible and stood in every fire he could, so we ended up leaving at the last boss because of his severe attraction to green shit on the ground.
Wish Bioware would just rebalance everything to not require a dedicated healer, that gameplay mechanic is the worst

Combat responsiveness seems to be fixed, to me at least, which is nice. Now if they can cram a proper LFG tool in here and I might stick around.

Went with the "retro" UI and customized it a bit so that it fits better.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Man I tried to get my UI to look almost exactly like that and had no success. Couldn't get the bars to be perfectly level/even with each other for some reason.
It takes a bit of trial and error. It would be nice if they went back in and put in X/Y values, a grid, and/or a snap-to-grid so you could move things around and ensure they're aligned. Right now it's like trying to do a flowchart in MS Word.

Nice to see a Ke$ha fan on GAF.

Not that anything felt any different. I think it looked better texture wise, but I'm not sure.
I had to fiddle with a few things to get the higher res atlasing (including the higher res atlasing "high" drop down) to finally pop in. They seem to "phase in" as well... you go through ~three texture "builds" before everything looks like it should (low res, normal, high res).

Zafir

They royally screwed up todays patch. Logged on today to find half of the 1.2 content gone. The crystal vendor is back where the guild bank was. The lift is blocking the new section of Ziost Shadow meaning you can't get to the new Op. The black hole daily giver on the fleet is gone, so is the ship to take you to it. Plus if you happened to log off in that area, you couldn't log on your character. Campaign gear vendors were gone, so was legacy vendors. Warzones just weren't happening.

Weirdly the War Hero vendor and Legacy System managed to stay.

Eitherway they've taken the servers back down now to do emergency maintenance.

Top Bottom