• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

best action combat system of this gen and best action combat system of all time?

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
2 questions

1. what is the best combat system of this gen in your opinion but explain in more detail your reasons

2. what is,in your opinion, the GOAT combat system and why?

Notes:
I want specifically action based systems, i am not disregarding turn based systems in your answers, but if you have a compelling reason to put a TB system in your answer, go for it

Of course these types of questions are always going to be hard to choose with the different genres out there, so choose one which you truly believe is the best realized combat system

Peroroncino

This gen? Easily Nioh.

Why? Snappy controls, stances, skills to learn, various weapon types, ki pulse and most importantly, one of the most satisfying parry systems out there.

As for the best action combat system of all time? That would be DMC4 Dante, the sheer amount of possible options and combos you can string thanks to the style/weapon switching mechanic is simply overwhelming.

Toni

Horizon, Horizon, Horizon.

Its combat and moment to momrent gameplay probably wont be topped this gen.

Bloodborne easily as well.

I'm curious what is so fantastic about the combat in Horizon? I've played it and got platinum. But nothing amazed me about it's combat, more like the contrary.

Bloodborne probably takes the cake for me though.

Gitaroo

Horizon is great with its mobility, parkour and archery, you really feels like a super bad ass archer you don't get in anything else. Its melee is very basic, wish they can add more melee weapons beside the spear. Save that for the sequal I guess. Bloodborne is perfection. Nioh too

I think many Japanese games are contenders, some from the left field even (like 1 or 2 musous can be deeper than I thought). There are the obvious types like DMC, Bayo and Ninja Gaiden Black.

The plot driven western games where the combat is shooting and a bit of stealth hasn't really impressed me yet as best combat. Perhaps a more detailed category for those - TPS combat?

Best of all time Dark Souls.

Best this gen Dark Souls 3.

Just kidding.

My favorite of all time is probably Ninja Gaiden, maybe Ninja Gaiden2.

This gen...........let me play some more Nioh, but Bloodborne is pretty good.

I do like Souls combat a lot, but it's not very actiony(?).

Horizon posts are out of their mind and have never played a real action game
or delirious fan boys.

Best of all time Dark Souls.

Best this gen Dark Souls 3.

Just kidding.

My favorite of all time is probably Ninja Gaiden, maybe Ninja Gaiden2.

This gen...........let me play some more Nioh, but Bloodborne is pretty good.

I do like Souls combat a lot, but it's not very actiony(?).

Horizon posts are out of their mind and have never played a real action game
or delirious fan boys.
Wtf is a "real" action game? Posts like these always sound so silly to me. And now people are fanboys for liking the combat of Horizon; what trash is this? Unless I'm missing the sarcasm or something.

Wtf is a "real" action game? Posts like these always sound so silly to me. And now people are fanboys for liking the combat of Horizon; what trash is this? Unless I'm missing the sarcasm or something.

It's a little tongue in cheek, but Horizon doesn't come close to being a best of action combat game. You can like it, I did, but if you are calling it the best when games like DMC, Bloodborn or Ninja Gaiden exist you aren't playing enough games.

I haven't played much so forgive me, but I just remembered Metal Gear Rising Revengence.

How has it not been mentioned yet?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
this gen ? easily robo recal on the oculus rift (not even a freaking question)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Shifty

Disregarding the ability to level yourself up to the point of OHKOing everything, NieR: Automata's combat system probably takes the gen for me. It's smooth, satisfying, has good combo potential and tries new stuff for the genre such as the floaty dash, bullet hell elements and sword throw moves.

All time is Ninja Gaiden Black because it's the closest a single-player game has come to the feel of a fighting game. Ninja Gaiden 2 gets an honorable mention because of the sheer visceral satisfaction of obliterating your enemies.

this gen ? easily robo recal on the oculus rift (not even a freaking question)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

You're not wrong. That game destroys every other VR title as far as combat goes.

Yeah forgot Nioh somehow.. dunno how. Best combat and combat system in any game this year by a country mile. It’s Ninja Gaiden level goodness which is expected from the same developer.

The melee combat in Horizon is dogshit, the Ai is subpar(the Ai on human enemies is the worst in a modern game I have seen)and the ranged combat ain’t that exciting really, my $0,05.

I mean I enjoyed using rifles and bows more in Nioh than using a bow in Horizon..

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
yeah Horizon's bow gameplay was great, but i don't really think it was anything too special

plus its melee was terrible

Narasaki

of all time? uhm...
2ff3e5e695716263ecc918248ee9ad1556c539b3_hq.jpg

This gen? maybe Nioh, maybe Bloodborne

I think the best combat in action games needs to have two essencial things:

- you need to have defensive options and the game force you to use it to survive
- you can never be on autopilot offense, EVER. You can't shut your brain while you're attacking, not even one second

This gen? Easily Nioh.

Why? Snappy controls, stances, skills to learn, various weapon types, ki pulse and most importantly, one of the most satisfying parry systems out there.

As for the best action combat system of all time? That would be DMC4 Dante, the sheer amount of possible options and combos you can string thanks to the style/weapon switching mechanic is simply overwhelming.

Perfect first answer. I'd add that DOOM also has a terrific gameplay loop, I might personally like it a bit better than Nioh but it's definitely close.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I pray that no one says Witcher 3.

The Witcher III baby!!!

If people can say Bloodborne and Nioh, then The Witcher III can easily be thrown in as well.

Sarcasm aside, none of those three should be included because if anything, all three are time based, parry based hack and slash defensive games as opposed to "action" combat system which based on the games listed seem to actually be missing.

Horizon definitely has great action combat this generation because all of it gels so well together, is fluid, responsive and fun which also makes it one of the best this generation. Very few games can add stealth, melee, bows and arrows, gadgets, traps, etc. and do it all to where as said above, can gel great together, be fluid, responsive and fun.

For Honor has the best one on one combat easily this generation especially if you take off the button prompts, etc. and have to defend and counter based on just watching your opponent and have a fast reaction time especially on hard.

Jetboxx

All time? I guess Ninja Gaiden II (not the crappy Sigma version). Ninja Gaiden Black is a little better game overall, but NGII features a better battle system.
This gen? Well, maybe Devil's Third or Bayonetta 2. Many people mention Nioh, but as for me, Nioh is just an epigonism, the gameplay is pretty repetitive and is nothing compared both to DS and NG.

xviper

this gen and of all time: Bloodborne

nothing is more satisfying than slashing monsters in Bloodborne, the combat feels amazing, the movement is awesome

Sanctuary

Good god no. Horizon is barely above generic third-person shooter caliber. The melee is completely throwaway too. The best thing about the combat in that game is figuring out the best way to beat new machines as they are introduced. After the first few fights with them though, it becomes 100% rote.

So far , for this gen it's between Nioh and Bloodborne. Bloodborne plays more like a faster Souls variant, while Nioh is closer to Ninja Gaiden with a stamina bar.

Of all time? No idea. My personal favorites would be Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry 3, Dark Souls, Nioh, Bloodborne and Dragon's Dogma.

this gen it's between Bayonetta 2 or The Wonderful 101. can't think of anything else that's even half as good as either of them.

all time is Ninja Gaiden II

Stiler

This gen?

For Honor - A game that actually tries some new things, attempts using stances/guards (which to my knowledge wasn't really done in a game since Bushido Blade). Overall it's a fun combat system with depth to it. The main falting point is fighting multiple enemies.

GOAT? Severance (aka Blade of Darkness).

BA6Iimy.gif

qqqjOIy.gif

Combat felt so damn rewarding in this game. It had a ton of different moves each tied to the weapons, which each character (there was a knight/dwarf/barbarian/amazonian) having their skills in certain weapon types.

This came out in the era of the Jedi Knight series where most action-adventure games followed in its footsteps. In those kind of games combat felt very disconnected. People generally just moved around strafing about and hap hazardly swinging their weapons around, it looked and played very sloppy.

Severance on the other hand completely skirted this problem by using a lock on/animation lock system. Where you could be able to lock on to an enemy, but whenever you did an attack the animation would play out in the direction you started it in. Now because of this that meant that you could read enemies attacks (or vice versa) and if you knew the attacks you could dodge/block them or counter.

Defense played a big role in combat as well, you couldn't spam attacks as it used a stamina system and when you ran out you tired and would be open to attacks. This was also how they balanced moves out, as high dmg/fancy moves would cost more stamina then just simple slashes/thrusts.

Sadly after this game most games just followed the Jedi Knight style. The only game to have similar combat, and imo it's where they got their inspiration from, is the Souls series. It plays pretty similar to Severance but severance still has more combat moves then it does, and it uses them more akin to say, a fighting game input (so you can have more moves then simply the buttons you press to attack).

This gen?

For Honor - A game that actually tries some new things, attempts using stances/guards (which to my knowledge wasn't really done in a game since Bushido Blade). Overall it's a fun combat system with depth to it. The main falting point is fighting multiple enemies.

GOAT? Severance (aka Blade of Darkness).

BA6Iimy.gif

qqqjOIy.gif

Combat felt so damn rewarding in this game. It had a ton of different moves each tied to the weapons, which each character (there was a knight/dwarf/barbarian/amazonian) having their skills in certain weapon types.

This came out in the era of the Jedi Knight series where most action-adventure games followed in its footsteps. In those kind of games combat felt very disconnected. People generally just moved around strafing about and hap hazardly swinging their weapons around, it looked and played very sloppy.

Severance on the other hand completely skirted this problem by using a lock on/animation lock system. Where you could be able to lock on to an enemy, but whenever you did an attack the animation would play out in the direction you started it in. Now because of this that meant that you could read enemies attacks (or vice versa) and if you knew the attacks you could dodge/block them or counter.

Defense played a big role in combat as well, you couldn't spam attacks as it used a stamina system and when you ran out you tired and would be open to attacks. This was also how they balanced moves out, as high dmg/fancy moves would cost more stamina then just simple slashes/thrusts.

Sadly after this game most games just followed the Jedi Knight style. The only game to have similar combat, and imo it's where they got their inspiration from, is the Souls series. It plays pretty similar to Severance but severance still has more combat moves then it does, and it uses them more akin to say, a fighting game input (so you can have more moves then simply the buttons you press to attack).

You're very right about Blade of Darkness, but wrong about Jedi Knight. Those games are much, much deeper than they apear. They're terifically well designed and made, for a more civilized age in gaming. No games took inspiration from them in combat depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnPPTDciICw

Keihart

This gen i would consider Uncharted 4 single player campaing's combat to be the best one i've played this gen, the game needed really badly an arcade mode or challenge mode, Shooting while jumping, swinging, runing and taking cover is pretty unique and melee finishers are very well animated, not only that but melee atacks are context sensitive so you learn to finish enemies with melee when out of bullets to steal their guns for example without having to pick it up or pushing them from ledges and so on.

Best of all time it's harder to pick tho, maybe DMC4...so many tools but at the same time, the game somewaht lacks escenarios to explore them, in this sense God Hand is better i would say since the better you play the harder the game becomes making you experiment and find new techniques.

Stiler

You're very right about Blade of Darkness, but wrong about Jedi Knight. Those games are much, much deeper than they apear. They're terifically well designed and made, for a more civilized age in gaming. No games took inspiration from them in combat depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnPPTDciICw

Look at it though, it literally looks extremely floaty, nothing at all like you'd see in the movies or what melee combat would be like. It's like your upper body animation is separate from the lower body. In melee combat your feet placement and everything is connected, it would just be really really hard to do anything while you're constantly running left/right and swinging a melee weapon about without actually placing your feet and using your whole body to do moves.

Tying combat to movement also led to combat where you couldn't really read attacks, it was less about being able to read your enemies attacks, then counter, etc and more about spamming abilities and defense and hoping the hit/block would connect before theirs would. At least that was my experience playing them back in the day online.

Wulfram

Mass Effect: Andromeda. Its got mobility and its got flexibility. Its not like most action games where you have basically one way to play the game.

(Its let down by the lack of variety from enemies, but I wouldn't consider that part of the "system".)

Teran

I'm partial to 3rd gen Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter's combat system in general is just first rate, I prefer it to Souls which is my 2nd favourite. I don't really think Souls did anything wrong either, it's was a smart design choice to sacrifice combat/weapon depth considering it was more of a traditional adventure RPG, so a system that relies a lot more on its fundamental principles is a good thing.

Narroo

All time is DMC3, easy.

I don't know about this gen, though.

Ah, DMC3 versus DMC4. It's a bit of a quantity over quality issue. DMC3's moveset is snappier, and feels better to use, but the Style system is fundamentally broken in that the depth is very unbalanced between the styles and the game is designed around sword master.

DMC4 feels more plastic and limited, but combining all the styles fixes the core issues DMC3 had. It's Sophie's choice here.

Sepultura

Mass Effect: Andromeda. Its got mobility and its got flexibility. Its not like most action games where you have basically one way to play the game.

(Its let down by the lack of variety from enemies, but I wouldn't consider that part of the "system".)
Glad to see Andromeda being mentioned. Just how the overall game turned out it doesn’t get enough credit for the fantastic combat.

Maogp

Mmh. I dunno for this gen, i didn't play a lot of games. But I have my answer for the all time question: Ninja Gaiden, W101, Bayonetta e Viewtiful Joe are, in my opinion, simply the best.

Rathorial

Probably Nioh or Bloodborn when it comes to action combat systems this gen.

For all time I'm going to dip out of melee combat, and pick F.E.A.R. 1. Still god-tier gun feel on multiple weapons, and one of the best implementations of slow-mo as a mechanic. The biggest reason though, is that the goal-oriented AI and level design feel so utterly in sync in ways other action games just don't. Almost picked DMC3, but the lack of any interesting level design in it holds me back, as it mostly relies on a stellar moveset against various enemy types.

That said...I really think Divinity: Original Sin 2 has incredible turn-based combat. Positioning to me has always been key to depth in turn-based games, and the sheer ways you/AI can use abilities to alter the battlefield accentuates that. Using height or objects for cover is hugely beneficial, flexible class system lets you be creative, buffs/debuffs actually matter, and the different interactions of various elements on ground keep fights from getting boring.

Top Bottom