• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

best action combat system of this gen and best action combat system of all time?

i-Lo

Bloodborne. Hunter v Hunter face off can truly feel like art in motion with those quick dodges. Funnily enough I've always imagined force users in SW would always move like this in a frantic duel and much to my surprise they actually come very closer in Battlefront 2. Overall, the system is easy to learn but difficult to master.

I've heard great things about Nier Automata & Nioh; hopefully, I'll play them at a later time.

For Of all time if realism is completely thrown out and if you dedicate yourself to learning and then fine tuning muscle memory then almost nothing can touch DMC4 with switching between weapons and style. In the right hands like user "donguri990" it's pure spectacle without parallel.

GametimeUK

If we are referring to the gen as PS4 / One / WiiU then I'd have to say Bayonetta 2 is the best action combat system if the generation.

dogen

Tying combat to movement also led to combat where you couldn't really read attacks, it was less about being able to read your enemies attacks, then counter, etc and more about spamming abilities and defense and hoping the hit/block would connect before theirs would. At least that was my experience playing them back in the day online.

?

Tying it to movement made it more readable.

highrider

Banned
Mass Effect: Andromeda. Its got mobility and its got flexibility. Its not like most action games where you have basically one way to play the game.

(Its let down by the lack of variety from enemies, but I wouldn't consider that part of the "system".)

It’s tops of this gen for me so far, Bloodborne is also up there.

RootCause

Horizon, the only one that truly feels new, satisfying , and just flat out fun. Easily the best combat in years. Here's hoping they can improve with the sequel.

Toni

Horizon, the only one that truly feels new, satisfying , and just flat out fun. Easily the best combat in years. Here's hoping they can improve with the sequel.

Horizon left a foundation that is in motion to be one of the greatests ever. Guerilla built an awesome gameplay and nailed the story and protagonist.

They only need to reinvigorate the melee gameplay and human AI for the sequel and we are looking at something very special.

Horizon 2 needs to do so little to be so great. Insane how Guerilla nailed it out of the park on the first go at open world.

This gen? Easily Nioh.

Why? Snappy controls, stances, skills to learn, various weapon types, ki pulse and most importantly, one of the most satisfying parry systems out there.

As for the best action combat system of all time? That would be DMC4 Dante, the sheer amount of possible options and combos you can string thanks to the style/weapon switching mechanic is simply overwhelming.

Way of the samurai 1 has a better parry system.

Damerman

Horizon left a foundation that is in motion to be one of the greatests ever. Guerilla built an awesome gameplay and nailed the story and protagonist.

They only need to reinvigorate the melee gameplay and human AI for the sequel and we are looking at something very special.

Horizon 2 needs to do so little to be so great. Insane how Guerilla nailed it out of the park on the first go at open world.
wholeheartedly agree with this. Melee is clearly the weakest point, especially considering a spear would lend itself to a great melee system within the horizon combat system. We sould be able to aim for specific body parts with a spear, with either swipe attacks or stabbing attacks.

I will throw my vote for dragon’s dogma as best of all time.

Edit: Alright so i need to add bloodborne, nier, nioh and for honor to my backlog.

Its too many games man.

Jreede

Neo Member
Bloodborne

It has the best feeling dodge action of any game I've ever played as it makes the Hunter versus Hunter encounters feel like a dance.

Also, a decently large weapon variety where every weapon plays differently and all are viable options to get through the game. I never felt like I had to give up on a weapon I enjoyed using due it becoming underpowered or unviable.

Bloodborne.

If you haven't played Bloodborne PvP you are missing out.

The combat Miyamoto Musahshi describes is The Book of Five Rings is completely realized by the Souls games. This is not a coincidence and completely intentionally captured by Miyazaki. I have recommended reading the book first to people who find difficulties with Souls-likes. From Software has done such a great job that the book now reads like a manual to the games.

Flux

For close combat, Dark Souls 3. Many styles to master, armour and weight play a big role, and timing is everything.

For third person shooters, Mass effect Andromeda. It's got great mobility and options in a genre of basically the same cover shooting.

Kremzeek

Yeah I'm going to have to go with Bayonetta, but I can't decide 1 or 2.....

I really love Transformers Devastation but I wish there was a longer game attached to it, and the levels kind of got samey.

Aztorian

For MMO's specifically I'dl like to highlight Black Desert Online.

This is the first mmo (that I played) which gets rid of the "press button x to cast fireball and press button y to cast lightningstrike". Instead it uses combination keys to perform abilities. Such as F + down key to perform some kind of lightning storm. When pressing some specific key after that cast you can create a chain of abilities.

I really really enjoyed the shit out of this combat system.

Never played bayo 2 but all the hardcore youtubers who've played both seem to always prefer 1. Citing gameplay changes that limited options or something. They didn't say 2 was bad though, just different.

The Stig

This gen? Easily Nioh.

Why? Snappy controls, stances, skills to learn, various weapon types, ki pulse and most importantly, one of the most satisfying parry systems out there.

As for the best action combat system of all time? That would be DMC4 Dante, the sheer amount of possible options and combos you can string thanks to the style/weapon switching mechanic is simply overwhelming.

i had no idea about this game, looks really good. Im gonna get it for PC today. any tips?

i had no idea about this game, looks really good. Im gonna get it for PC today. any tips?

Git Gud.. ;)

I mean it is quite a brutal game and shares many systems with Dark Souls such as the experience stuff.

But once you get to terms with the combat and get nice loot it will get easier for ya. First couple of bosses were road blocks for me since i had shit gear.. dealt no dmg.

But there is jolly Coop in this.

Pejo

Nioh for this gen, hands down. And I really liked Bloodborne, but Nioh blew it away. The stances and stance switching combined with the huge movesets just cemented it for me. Minus some bullshit bosses, this is probably my favorite of all time.

The Stig

Git Gud.. ;)

I mean it is quite a brutal game and shares many systems with Dark Souls such as the experience stuff.

But once you get to terms with the combat and get nice loot it will get easier for ya. First couple of bosses were road blocks for me since i had shit gear.. dealt no dmg.

But there is jolly Coop in this.

co-op too? hell yes.

edit - bought it, downloading now

Bazookaxp

All time? I guess Ninja Gaiden II (not the crappy Sigma version). Ninja Gaiden Black is a little better game overall, but NGII features a better battle system.
This gen? Well, maybe Devil's Third or Bayonetta 2. Many people mention Nioh, but as for me, Nioh is just an epigonism, the gameplay is pretty repetitive and is nothing compared both to DS and NG.

this gen it's between Bayonetta 2 or The Wonderful 101. can't think of anything else that's even half as good as either of them.

all time is Ninja Gaiden II

Came here just to post this. Ninja Gaidens combat system was always league above and beyond everyone else's. Felt like a full fledged fighting game inside and action adventure game.

The controls were tight and spot on to force a level of skill and not just be a hack and slash like many games at the time.

This gen? Easily Nioh.

The parry in Nioh was pretty bad. You have to anticipate it too far in advance and even then it's a nebulous window where it just never feels satisfying.

Agreed with DMC4 Dante

The visceral savagery of Ninja Gaiden II remains unmatched.

Yeah this is the best that I can think of right now.

paulpp

Neo Member
Currently playing Horizon (about 2/3 through) and it's definitely up there with the best.

If the climbing mechanic was more Zelda BOTW and less Uncharted, it possibly would be the best.

Top Bottom