• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS just dropped the Better Together update for Minecraft (Switch still TBA)

a coworker just recently asked me what console to buy for his kids to play Minecraft on, Sony not supporting this update make that an easy decision

sugarless

For what it’s worth, I don’t believe there’s any chance they won’t cave. It’ll happen eventually, for sure, just a matter of when and of how many games going cross-play it will take before it happens. If we get Activision pushing cross-play in CoD or Bungie pushing it for Destiny I could see them relenting real quick.

I really hope so. I think that they expected MS to only tie up X1, mobile and Win10. Nintendo being on board for this probably came as a shock (it certainly did to me), so we can only hope that lit a fire under them to make this happen after all.

If Switch gets 'Better Together' patches later than Windows/Xbox in the future, does cross-play still work between mismatched versions?
Would entirely depend on the changes (a minor bug fix would be fine with mismatched versions), and if there’s some sort of backwards compatibility with un-updated worlds going forward, but I doubt there will be any gaps after this anyway. They should be coordinated drops, so the problem shouldn’t even crop up.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No the Super Duper Graphics pack didn't drop today.

I'm with the other poster that said it might launch at the same time as the X.

Gowans

Realms is still coming for Xbox right?

I've got a very excited little boy who really wants a 10 person sub for him and his xbox mates.

Tried this during beta. Missus booted up the Xbox and I joined in on the W10 version. Worked seamlessly, was pretty impressed. Once the Switch version releases will try 3 way with that too.

Ya freak

My family is excited about the graphics update. Can't wait til that releases.

GulAtiCa

Realms is still coming for Xbox right?

I've got a very excited little boy who really wants a 10 person sub for him and his xbox mates.

This is what I'm wondering too, but for Switch. I want to create a private Realm for me (on Switch) and my friend who would place on PC

lyrick

Maybe because the PS4 hasn't really been on the outside looking in, until this.

Nah I asked the exact same question in the Thread regarding Kotakus article about how the Switch was completely decimating PS4 sales in Japan when comparing launches (or however the click bait title was fashioned).

I'm guessing that when I ask where the gif is in the next thread regarding why a PlayStation thing is getting left out of a thing or is floundering in some market, I'll get a similar reply then as well.

Looks like xbox one disc owners have to wait a few days for release?
Yup. On Xbox (and Switch) it’s not an actual “update”, but rather an entirely new game, so physical owners have to be sent download codes for the new version (actually, they might just add it to your account on Xbox, but I’m not sure, it likely says somewhere), which will take a couple days to process for everyone.

RdN

Does anybody know if Realms is working on Xbox One?

I couldn't figure it out by the article posted in the op.

Vanillalite

Looks like xbox one disc owners have to wait a few days for release?

Yup. On Xbox (and Switch) it’s not an actual “update”, but rather an entirely new game, so physical owners have to be sent download codes for the new version, which will take a couple days to process for everyone.

So how do I get the update with a disc version? Nothing in the store.

Per the FAQ

Q: I own Minecraft: Xbox One Edition on disc. Will I be able to get the Better Together Update for free?

A: If you own Minecraft: Xbox One Edition on disc and have played for at least 5 hours in the past 12 months or bought DLC, you’ll be able to upgrade to Minecraft for free, until January 30th 2018. If you haven’t played in the past 12 months, you can play five hours or purchase DLC before January 30th 2018 to unlock your upgrade.

Q: What’s the Better Together Update redemption process for disc owners?

A: You’ll need to log into Xbox Live (no need for gold) and insert the disc. You can either wait for the prompt once the game starts or go to the Xbox Store, where you’ll will find the new version of the game. If you’ve either played five hours in the last 12 months, or have bought DLC at any time, the new game should show up as free to download. If not, you can fulfill either of the conditions above before January 30th 2018 and then come back to the store to download. Please be prepared for a short wait, though - as it may take us a few days to process all the redemption requests.

Floody

You will have to wait upwards of a couple days for it to process. Assuming you played for the minimum amount of hours to qualify, anyway.

No.

Ah, okay thanks. Should be good on the time played requirement, it's pretty much all he plays.

Edit: lol, update just popped up. Wonder why it didn't about 5 minutes ago, still says buy, but I'll give it awhile before checking. Thanks again for the help.

Genuine question - if my friends and I have an existing vanilla PC Minecraft world, mod-free but privately hosted, is it possible to transfer it to whatever Worlds service or whatever is required to begin using it in Windows 10/Better Together? I'm unlikely to actually do this, I'm just curious if it's possible.

Installed the new version directly from the store and it still says beta everywhere. Anyone have that issue or is this normal?
On Xbox? Pretty sure they just took the latest Beta build and listed it on the store. I’ve had the beta since day one and didn’t get an update today, nor does there appear to be one. So yeah, should be normal.

sugarless

Yup. On Xbox (and Switch) it’s not an actual “update”, but rather an entirely new game, so physical owners have to be sent download codes for the new version (actually, they might just add it to your account on Xbox, but I’m not sure, it likely says somewhere), which will take a couple days to process for everyone.

OK so if I own digital "Minecraft for Nintendo Switch" it will see this on my account and I can download the new "Minecraft" game for free once it hits? Does that mean my saves transfer over?

On Xbox? Pretty sure they just took the latest Beta build and listed it on the store. I’ve had the beta since day one and didn’t get an update today, nor does there appear to be one. So yeah, should be normal.

Ahh. Thought so.

wtf, the beta was still buggy as hell

Yeah, not too happy about it. The beta wasn’t that great. My son and his friends won’t play it because it didn’t run all that well. They’ve gone back to the Xbox one edition. I thought we’d be getting something a bit more polished than the beta release. Just tried it some more and it hitches. I’d expect better from a franchise of this size.

Hmmm Xbox One store wants to charge me £16 for the new version. Should be free for me as I own Xbox One Edition already and have bought DLC.

I owned the disc version and definitely played more than 5 hours, and have the Windows 10 version but Xbox still wants me to buy it. Do I need to have the disc in the drive for the discount?

zou

oh and coordinates are now considered cheating, fuck this.

edit: and the interface is shit, it's a huge step back for controllers. I'll stick with the proper version for now.

Vanillalite

I owned the disc version and definitely played more than 5 hours, and have the Windows 10 version but Xbox still wants me to buy it. Do I need to have the disc in the drive for the discount?

Per the FAQ

Q: What’s the Better Together Update redemption process for disc owners?

A: You’ll need to log into Xbox Live (no need for gold) and insert the disc. You can either wait for the prompt once the game starts or go to the Xbox Store, where you’ll will find the new version of the game. If you’ve either played five hours in the last 12 months, or have bought DLC at any time, the new game should show up as free to download. If not, you can fulfill either of the conditions above before January 30th 2018 and then come back to the store to download. Please be prepared for a short wait, though - as it may take us a few days to process all the redemption requests.

Sephimoth

I don't understand. I have the game for Xbox One (digital) and it says I can get the update free, but when I go to the page it tries to charge me £16.

How do?

EDIT: See others having same issue

hemo memo

Gold Member
I thought Nintendo was the backward and stubborn one when it comes to decisions like this but they're surprisingly cool with it.

Meanwhile at Sony:
No_fun_allowed.png

Thread about an update turned into console wars within the first 5 posts.

Like? I came in to see impressions from people who have it and all I see is Sony talk. Is this a Sony thread now or a Xbox Minecraft thread, because I'm confused. I thought this was positive news, why is Sony of concern here? I thought we had multiple threads that have addressed their role and moved on from that?

I hope to get this game for my little cousin who's obsessed so I'm sure he's going to love this new update. I actually cant wait to tell him.

Genuine question - if my friends and I have an existing vanilla PC Minecraft world, mod-free but privately hosted, is it possible to transfer it to whatever Worlds service or whatever is required to begin using it in Windows 10/Better Together? I'm unlikely to actually do this, I'm just curious if it's possible.
Officially, no. Unofficially, I believe there are some 3rd part conversion tools out there somewhere, but I couldn’t tell you how reliable/accurate/well-maintained/up-to-date they are.

OK so if I own digital "Minecraft for Nintendo Switch" it will see this on my account and I can download the new "Minecraft" game for free once it hits? Does that mean my saves transfer over?

I don’t know exactly how they’ll handle it on Switch, and in fact I don’t believe the process has been announced/finalized. The process for receiving your copy might be different than on Xbox One, and unless Nintendo handles the process themselves it probably have to be different since MS can’t see your Switch play activity/add games to your Nintendo account/private message you a code.

Your saved should be able to be transferred though, yes, but they haven’t quite finalized that process either.

If you mean infinite world sizes, that’s a basic feature not tied to server.

Same with crossplay. You can start up a LAN connection between versions or join each other via XBL right from the Friends menu.

Oh so the Xbox One version has already infinite world size? Good to know. But to get it on the Switch and to play Crossplay I need a server of course.

Vanillalite

I don't understand. I have the game for Xbox One (digital) and it says I can get the update free, but when I go to the page it tries to charge me £16.

How do?

EDIT: See others having same issue

Per the FAQ

Q: I own Minecraft: Xbox One Edition on disc and played for at least 5 hours, or made a purchase within the qualifying time period. Where is my game?

A: If you’re eligible based on your purchases or game play, you will see a copy of Minecraft available inReady to install under My games & apps. If you don’t see this available then make sure that you’re signed in with the same account that was used to play or purchase content.

Mudo

Sad that it seems the fancy graphics aren't in yet. That is one of the feature I am most looking forward to and find it funny that their big update isn't launching with one of its (to me) big selling points. Oh well, I've got the beta installed on my XBONE I'll get it updated. The infinite world size is the other big one and that's exciting

Top Bottom