• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monday Night Combat Invitational - Now with more DOTA!

Annoying that Europe is literally dead at this time (unsurprisingly, it is a small population at the moment after all!), and I get high ping on all the US-East servers.

Really addictive stuff though - need to get better at other pros though because I'll end up too comfortable with assault soon.

Yeef

Quick question, probably obvious question, but how do you roll/evade? one of the tips says that pros with melee weapons can roll and I've seen other people do it (with the same character I was playing at the time, no less), but in the key bindings I don't see it listed and I couldn't find anything on Google.

Wthermans

Banned
Quick question, probably obvious question, but how do you roll/evade? one of the tips says that pros with melee weapons can roll and I've seen other people do it (with the same character I was playing at the time, no less), but in the key bindings I don't see it listed and I couldn't find anything on Google.

Certain Pros can lunge like the Assassin in MNC. To do this, switch to your melee weapon and hit reload (default "R"). Pretty much ANY Pro with a melee has to use the lunge at higher levels of play for mobility. It's highly important to be able to gank someone, switch to melee, and lunge back into your bots for protection. Some Pros with Mobility skills (such as Veteran and Spark) can switch between lunge and skills to increase their overall speed almost tenfold.

Wthermans

Banned
Got into this day 1, I really like the game itself, just not the LoL model it uses. I might play it randomly here and there but since I got into the Dota 2 beta, and then seeing this use the LoL pay for pro's model.. big turn off.

Figured that since the devs like Steam so much they would have picked the more cosmetic route. Tried to play the beta again a few days ago, and I could only pick between 5 pro's..beginning of beta I could pick all of them. Not a big fan of gameplay changing money grabbing.

While I do believe the cost of base Pros (non Sharpshooter/Commando Pros) is rather high, Uber has been pretty good about mixing up the free Pros each week. They don't want you to unlock all Pros right away (and the game isn't even conducive to this). They want you to play the free Pros, learn their intricacies while they're free, and find 2-3 that you like each week and work towards unlocking them. Most Pro classes have similar playstyles so even if someone locks your preferred Pro you can usually find another that is rather similar. Also, even if you don't get a Pro you know how to play, it's good to learn other classes (even if your team will hate you).

My biggest problem with the game at the moment is that you can tell who's going to win a round within the opening minutes of the game. Yeah you can try to fight back and form some comeback, but the Combat Credits you gain for a long comeback win are FAR less than if you had just taken a loss, collected your CC and moved onto another game. I'm finding most people will just AFK in spawn after the first Annihilator if the teams are unbalanced (which happens quite often since Uber still hasn't implemented ELO matchmaking (even though it's been promised for almost 3 months).

Also, the reliance on levels and bot killing is a disappointment. It seems I spend over half the game just killing basic AI that follows a predetermined path and those kills in early game can take upwards of 10-15 seconds for high HP bots. All that AI killing is required otherwise you fall behind in Pro level and you'll have zero chance of beating a higher level player. The reliance on levels and bot kills in the game is extremely boring and leads to frustrating situations where you're facing players with 2-3+ level advantages because a single person on your team keeps dying. There's very little reason to keep playing when you realize this is happening due to the way Combat Credit gain doesn't increase the longer a game goes on.

So, is there an update today? Seems to be every thursday.

I agree that it needs ranked matchmaking (although that will come obviously in time), and it's almost funny how heavily a team will get pummeled once control has been taken.

Card Boy

Banned
This update we're trying something new. Something so free, so crazy, so full of bacon that it just... might... work. All Pros are free this week!

We're also trying to improve our new user experience with an updated landing page that highlights the new user guide, latest stats, news and content. Speaking of new content, check out the new Sniper and Gunslinger uniforms! Plus some entertaining new taunts to show off at the end of a game. Who knew the Wascot knows karate? We also did lots of bug fixing, some balance tweaks, product updates, and more!

As always, feel free to leave us feedback on http://www.uberent.com/forums!

New Rules
Free Pro Rotation: All Pros!
New landing page in the main menu.
Build Teams: Can now build teams of two players.
Added VO Volume setting to the options screen.
Rearranged how the options screen works.
New option for ignoring controller input.
Volume now has smaller increments that can be adjusted.
Added "Borderless Windowed Mode" into the options screen.
The "Play" button now switches to a "Rejoin" button if there's a game you can rejoin.
More VOIP chat improvments. Should be very usable now.
Updated region listing in the "Play" menu to be more obvious and easier to use.
Added "Team Game" and "Practice Game" to "x/10" header in the main menu.
Added right click invite or ignore players from chat lines.
New message and reward for player "Comebacks". If you die 3 times without scoring a kill, then score a kill you'll get a "Comeback" bonus of $25 added to your kill money.
Burning Duration: 5 -> 6
Normalized knockback effects on Pros to affect each Pro the same way.

Bug Fixes
Fixed Products activating when the player is dead.
Fixed lunges from steering towards dead bodies.
Fixed taunts overlapping while previewing them in the Locker Room.
Fixed several different servers crashes.
Fixed several different client crashes.
Fixed some instances where games would start without being 5v5.
Fixed a rare case of not being able to switch weapons when you stunned until a reload is finished.
Fixed the delay in using a melee weapons after a lunge.
Fixed client and server disagreeing on weapon accuracy when using accuracy endorsements and the Crack Shot Product.
Fixed rare case of two late joining players getting the same Pro.

Products
Money Magnet: Fixed effects not showing up on Combat Girl.
Money Magnet: Added new sound when money is picked up.
Jumpy Spunky: Added new sound when the player jumps while juiced.
Awesome Spunky: Fixed playing a hurt sound and effect when juicing.
Awesome Spunky: Push radius: 512 -> 1024
Awesome Spunky: Push amount: 125000 -> 140000
Spunky Lightning: Speed Boost: 250 -> 200
Death Bombs: Fixed fuse effect to properly scale with fuse time.
At'em Bomb: New effect
Investing for the Unenhanced: New audio when the Product is used.
Hot Hands: New sound when grappled
Leg Up: New sound when you level up
Snappy Comeback and Clean Slate: New sounds on spawn
Kill Products: New sounds on kill
Death Dodger: New effect and sound.
Health Inverter: New sound
Critical Armor: New sound

Bullet Gorge Arena
Continued art revisions.
Fixed some blocking areas that caused Spark's Arc Flash not work properly.

Downtown Spunky Arena
Art revisions.
Updated collision in underground area.
Moved player spawn buildings back away from the Moneyball area.
Repositioned and added more in-game clocks

Cheston
Rampage: Fixed being able to get the rampage damage and effect while grappling.
Rampage: Fixed missing initial pulse when rampage is used.
Rampage: Damage Radius: 320 -> 352
Tommy Gun: Fixed an instance where it would have no recoil.
Tommy Gun: Spread return per shot: 0.02 -> 0.023 (reverting to pre-Update 20 value)

Combat Girl
Combat Girl: Alt Fire: Fixed getting money like she does from healing.
Combat Kitties: Fixed firing sound lingering after they are gone.
New Taunt: Laugh

Gunner

Gunslinger
New Uniform: The Law

Karl
Junior: No longer goes after shielded Moneyballs.

Sniper
New Uniform: Cobra
Traps: Fixed headshotting a bot that stuck in a trap from slightly moving forward.

Tank
Jet Gun: Range: 640 -> 704
Rail Gun: Damage: 60 -> 66
Product Grenade: 100/200/250/300 -> 80/160/200/240

Veteran
Freight Train/Lunge: Fixed using jump jets to go farther than intended. (for realz this time)
Flying Falcons: Alt Fire Slam: Fixed cooldown not working.
Hot Seat: Fixed not getting Critical Shot bonuses.

Wascot
New Taunt: Karate
Crook Hook: Fixed stun not working when players are hooked.
Shifty Shuffle: Fixed a rare case of Wascot grappling one pro while counter-grappling another.
Shifty Shuffle: Made horns larger.
Coin Launcher: Damage: 20 -> 25

Relax.MX

I loving SMNC a lot!! im like 14 hr !!! and MNC was like 6 hr(and i buy it Day 1 with preorder)

But i have one question what is this "products" thing? who i can use that?

Yaska

So, got into this a while ago. Played once, and now the game crashes everytime I try to start it :/ Any advices? been messing with the config files, reinstalled the game from scratch, ran dofnetx and dx installers etc.

derFeef

All Pros! Two player team matchmaking!
Still getting beat up by spam-right click :(

I loving SMNC a lot!! im like 14 hr !!! and MNC was like 6 hr(and i buy it Day 1 with preorder)

But i have one question what is this "products" thing? who i can use that?

Unlocked per level and golds. Stuff like "drop bomb at death" or "shoot faster for 3 seconds after the first shot". You can equip three of those things at once, at level 10 you should alraady have 3 available for free.

Tokubetsu

All Pros! Two player team matchmaking!
Still getting beat up by spam-right click :(

Unlocked per level and golds. Stuff like "drop bomb at death" or "shoot faster for 3 seconds after the first shot". You can equip three of those things at once, at level 10 you should alraady have 3 available for free.

Where do I see them/pick them?

Wthermans

Banned
Where do I see them/pick them?

Locker Room > Products

So I was talking with some devs in the general lobby late last night (Ubergaf, Ekanaut, Scathis, and 1 other) and I brought up the point that you can gain more CC per minute by losing a match quickly than if you played a full match and won (50-60 CC for 5 minute games compared to 120-140 CC for 15 minute games) and their only advice was to "buy boosts". Also, they pretty much confirmed the matchmaking system will be Elo based and use W/L as the metric. Given that W/L doesn't equate player skill in a game that is so teamwork dependent AND the fact that W/L is so easy to manipulate to place yourself in lower tiers, I'm thinking the matchmaking is not going to be a Quick Match savior like all the players are making it out to be.

Honestly I was really disappointed in the devs response to CC gain per minute. It seems they want you to spend real money to counter it and/or just throw games that last too long. Not a good way to build a F2P fanbase.

alba

Little is the new Big
Ahh perfect, just received my invite straight from the beta registration on their official site (I got two extra on steam, wondering about what I'm going to do with them) :)

Sanic

Just played a game where I went 2/0/7, 165 bots killed. It's an awesome feeling to go without dying during a match.

Honestly I was really disappointed in the devs response to CC gain per minute. It seems they want you to spend real money to counter it and/or just throw games that last too long. Not a good way to build a F2P fanbase.

Yeah. I got an answer like that about the Endorsement and Product buying when people were
saying things like "Pay to Win".
For new people you gotta deal with high leveled people that have played since beta and have tons of upgrades geared toward their character.

Yeah. I got an answer like that about the Endorsement and Product buying when people were
saying things like "Pay to Win".
For new people you gotta deal with high leveled people that have played since beta and have tons of upgrades geared toward their character.

yea, logged in just 4hrs now. i am having the hardest time killing any pro's, it seems like they have endless health. as sniper, i got 2 headshots on another sniper, had a teammate doin some damage to him as well, and he just ran away, hopping gleefully. i on the other hand go down pretty easy.. any idea on what im doing wrong?

Also, is it really that expensive for credits? 60$ for just enough to buy a character/ or endorsement?

Edit: i have over hundred hours on mnc, so i feel like i know the basics, im just not getting smnc?

derFeef

yea, logged in just 4hrs now. i am having the hardest time killing any pro's, it seems like they have endless health. as sniper, i got 2 headshots on another sniper, had a teammate doin some damage to him as well, and he just ran away, hopping gleefully. i on the other hand go down pretty easy.. any idea on what im doing wrong?

Also, is it really that expensive for credits? 60$ for just enough to buy a character/ or endorsement?

Edit: i have over hundred hours on mnc, so i feel like i know the basics, im just not getting smnc?

SMNC is not about killing pro's. It's about pushing, surviving, and ganking when possible. Just like dota. Health has increased by a large amount. Once I got my head around the new system, it started to click.

SMNC is not about killing pro's. It's about pushing, surviving, and ganking when possible. Just like dota. Health has increased by a large amount. Once I got my head around the new system, it started to click.

Ok, yea im not out just to kill pro's, im just tired of getting beat down constantly. i used to be more into turret upgrades/support, so im kinda missing those aspects of it. i keep hearing the dota comparisons. i havent played dota so i dunno bout dat.

So SMNC is a lot more like Dota-proper than the first game, right? That's what I've been told, and it seems to be true from skimming through this thread.

That's neat. I'm interested. I guess I'll play it when it comes out.

So, how long do matches typically last? EDIT: More skimming (a few posts up!) looks like 15 minutes for a full match?

derFeef

Ok, yea im not out just to kill pro's, im just tired of getting beat down constantly. i used to be more into turret upgrades/support, so im kinda missing those aspects of it. i keep hearing the dota comparisons. i havent played dota so i dunno bout dat.

Currently they have only one mode available, but they said that there will be more modes eventually, which would also include turret building. Support class is still fun if you are into that. Helping your mates is important.

Currently they have only one mode available, but they said that there will be more modes eventually, which would also include turret building. Support class is still fun if you are into that. Helping your mates is important.

Ah , that makes sense, i should have thought of that. thanks derfeef.

Also, any gaffers need a healer PM me and ill add you on steam.

Wthermans

Banned
So SMNC is a lot more like Dota-proper than the first game, right? That's what I've been told, and it seems to be true from skimming through this thread.

That's neat. I'm interested. I guess I'll play it when it comes out.

So, how long do matches typically last? EDIT: More skimming (a few posts up!) looks like 15 minutes for a full match?

A match is intended to last about 15-20 minutes. I've had matches last for almost an hour though. They have mechanics in place to try to end the match quickly after half an hour of play.

Most important thing in SMNC is to kill bots and stay alive. If you die a few times at the start of the match, you've just given the enemy a HUGE level boost and you'll have a rougher time for the rest of the game. Also, the Annihilator is VERY important. It is open for use every 5 minutes so press tab to check the clock/scoreboard and make sure you go into the Jungle and setup on the Anni prior to the 5 minute mark. The team that wins the Annihilator fights usually wins the game.

A match is intended to last about 15-20 minutes. I've had matches last for almost an hour though. They have mechanics in place to try to end the match quickly after half an hour of play.

Most important thing in SMNC is to kill bots and stay alive. If you die a few times at the start of the match, you've just given the enemy a HUGE level boost and you'll have a rougher time for the rest of the game. Also, the Annihilator is VERY important. It is open for use every 5 minutes so press tab to check the clock/scoreboard and make sure you go into the Jungle and setup on the Anni prior to the 5 minute mark. The team that wins the Annihilator fights usually wins the game.

Yep, sounds exactly like Dota. Excellent.

This. i finally started taking your guy's advice. and in 2 matches i went:

11-1-100
7-0-100

as combat girl. feels good. oh an i figured out the new endorsments. they do have some cheaper ones available for a few hundred here and there. which helped a bit.

Personaj

Neo Member
I've got two invites and I doubt my friends would be interested in this. Shoot me a PM with your Steam ID if you want one.

Sanic

Just won my 8th game in a row. Down to one or two deaths a match. I can feel myself growing stronger :p

That last match, however, also had a cpt. spark player who went 25/3/20 with 100 bot kills. Pretty crazy.

Wthermans

Banned
gunner still feels a bit overpowered

The biggest weakness with the Gunner is that he doesn't have any mobility skills and is very vulnerable to stuns/slows/roots.

Also, if anyone needs some tips or has questions about the gameplay, feel free to message me on Steam (you can find my SteamID in my GAF profile). I'll be more than happy to do a practice match or two with you and answer any questions you may have.

The biggest weakness with the Gunner is that he doesn't have any mobility skills and is very vulnerable to stuns/slows/roots.

Also, if anyone needs some tips or has questions about the gameplay, feel free to message me on Steam (you can find my SteamID in my GAF profile). I'll be more than happy to do a practice match or two with you and answer any questions you may have.

Still. Those guns rip you up.

Zabka

I loved Monday Night Combat. Finally got around to playing one game today and it reminded me why I never liked full-blown DotA games.

Wthermans

Banned
I've recently been having a blast (well when I'm not being matched with random pubbies against a 5 man build a team). Been playing a LOT of Veteran. His KaClaw is just so much fun. Nothing like grabbing a Sniper from halfway across the map, pulling him right in front of a turret and chain grappling him until the turret takes him out. He's very dependent on having your team help kill the high HP classes (or anyone with an Armor buff), but it's nice to be able to pick your fights while still having good HP and good escape tools. I just hope he doesn't get nerfed. :(

Wthermans

Banned
Disappointed it has the bullshit LoL mechanic of leveling up your account to unlock stuff. Just give it to me all at once. Ugh.

Eh, it doesn't make a huge difference. I don't even have any Endorsements purchased or slotted because I'm saving Combat Coins for Pros.

Wthermans

Banned
That's also a bad thing.

Why? The easier Pros don't take very many games to earn enough CC to unlock and there are always at least 5 Pros for free which rotate on a weekly basis. Also, there are enough Pros in each category that even if you can't play your preferred Pro in a certain category, there's going to be one that's extremely similar and will be easy for you to pick up. Also, Uber has already stated they want players to experiment with different Pros hence the reason they have almost half of them free each week and rotate them weekly.

Because it's an artificial block that prevents me from from trying anyone I want to try on a given day? I don't care even a tiny, little bit what their reasons are. The fact is that (with the exception - partially, at least - of this week), they are locking content behind some arbitrary wall that only comes down if I'm willing to either pay for it or grind it out or wait for some random lottery* to give me what I want on a particular week.

*Because eventually there will be more pros, and then more pros, and then more pros, and they won't have half of them available each week. It'll be a fraction that shrinks with each new addition. Even if they keep doing half, that still leaves the other half out of reach for as long as the rotations last.

Wthermans

Banned
Because it's an artificial block that prevents me from from trying anyone I want to try on a given day? I don't care even a tiny, little bit what their reasons are. The fact is that (with the exception - partially, at least - of this week), they are locking content behind some arbitrary wall that only comes down if I'm willing to either pay for it or grind it out or wait for some random lottery* to give me what I want on a particular week.

*Because eventually there will be more pros, and then more pros, and then more pros, and they won't have half of them available each week. It'll be a fraction that shrinks with each new addition. Even if they keep doing half, that still leaves the other half out of reach for as long as the rotations last.

Uber is striving to have Pros appear at least once every three weeks. Most Pros will show two out of every three weeks. If it ever reaches a point where Pros aren't appearing on free rotation often enough, they've stated they'll adjust how many are unlocked each week. I'm really not seeing the problem other than "but I want to play it noooooow" which isn't the best idea for a F2P game with limited content for them to make money on. If you really want it right away, just spend some cash on Uber Points and unlock a few Pros you want right away. Or you could play a couple games and unlock them for free. It's really not a problem.

I loved Monday Night Combat. Finally got around to playing one game today and it reminded me why I never liked full-blown DotA games.

I've never played a DotA game so I don't have the same frame of reference but I played one game and I wasn't super impressed. I hate how weak the guns feel. I shouldn't be able to shoot an opponent for 20 seconds and not kill him in any FPS or Third person shooter, DotA or not.

Wthermans

Banned
I've never played a DotA game so I don't have the same frame of reference but I played one game and I wasn't super impressed. I hate how weak the guns feel. I shouldn't be able to shoot an opponent for 20 seconds and not kill him in any FPS or Third person shooter, DotA or not.

If you're trying to kill other Pros within the opening minutes of the game, then you're playing it wrong. You need to level up on Bot kills which allows you to increase your damage and then you'll start killing Pros faster. Also, you should focus fire with a teammate to maximize your damage ability. You can't look at this game like you would other shooters or you're going to hate it.

I'm really not seeing the problem other than "but I want to play it noooooow" which isn't the best idea for a F2P game with limited content for them to make money on.

I don't give a shit if it's free-to-play. They can sell all the cosmetic items they want (and I'll even buy some, should the game prove fun enough for long enough), but I'll never, ever pay to unlock game content that should be there to start. Too, grinding up the fake-coin to unlock a pro is a similarly shitty solution to the "problem" of... wait, what is the problem with letting me have it all from the beginning, exactly?

Likewise, I don't give a shit if I can unlock them "quickly" by only playing a couple of games. The fact that I have to unlock them at all is bad in and of itself. It's bad in League of Legends (and I guess now Heroes of Newerth has it, too, now, but LoL is the only game I've played extensively that employs this bullshit tactic) and it's bad here. Bad bad bad. The more pros they introduce, the more I'll have to grind to unlock them. Bad.

Top Bottom