• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

venomenon

12 sols, 20 to go. God damn achievement whoredom.
Please tell me the game is unrealistic and the exact duration of one sol is the same for each planet. Feels like it takes longer than it should...

Please tell me the game is unrealistic and the exact duration of one sol is the same for each planet. Feels like it takes longer than it should...

I believe that yes, every day-night cycle is the same on every planet.

Some of us were hoping for realistic day-night cycles, but that went out the window when the cycle stopped being based on planet rotation.

venomenon

Yeah, I read about rotation not being implemented, they could still have simulated it by having the cycles differ in length. IMO they certainly should have, actually.
But ok, at least this probably means I didn't chose a bad planet for the extreme survival ordeal.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Does anyone's photon cannon on their ship actually require recharging? I just realized mine was 0% but could be fired, and I see no way to actually charge it. I saw the notification pop up for it once too.

With my photon cannon needing no charge, the basic mining beam on the ship is pointless.

Got 47 slots on my exo, 30 on the ship, and 18 on the multi-tool. Upgrading the ship further is going to be damned expensive. I know people talk about using the crashed ships, but that seems like a royal pain. The spawn rate of crashed ships with 1 fewer slots than the current one seems really high for me.

Man the crashes are the only thing really bumming me out about the game. Just had it crash on the very first loading section haha

Hope they get a patch out ASAP

Haluko

I don't mean to derail, but I've been kind of underwhelmed by NMS, and heard about Elite Dangerous. Thought of giving it a try... How does it stack up to this?

I'm not crazy about overly complex flight sims but I do love a rich vast world with combat and exploration. I was hoping NMS would be a bit more deep and rather than bump an ancient ED thread, thought I'd ask here from NMS players whove played both.

(Note: I'll more than likely will continue NMS, but I now have an itch I need to scratch, you know?)

Ive played Elite enough to get most of the ships, and Ive traversed to the center of the galaxy and back in Elite. Ive played NMS enough to max my suit, tool and almost my ship. Ive traveled about 50k light years in NMS. So I have a decent amount played in both games. I think I can help compare them a bit. I might jump around while I compare so forgive me.

They both have issues, but Elite is a much better game to me. The ships in elite are amazing and the combat is deep and satisfying. In elite you feel like a ship commander turning off subsystems and managing more power to weapons etc. Navigating the galaxy in Elite is way easier and more exciting, with more nuanced gameplay. Each ship in elite feel different and exciting and supports different play styles. I also find it more fascinating that the galaxy in Elite is procedural but tries to follow the rules and laws of our known universe. NMS planets are pretty cool and when you get a really good one its awesome. I really dislike that NMS planets often make no sense to me. I guess its all made up, but Ive landed on planets with pleasant perfect weather, generous amount of plants everywhere... and not a single lifeform. Then Ive had planets with that are hell with zero plants 120C temperatures with some many life forms I was tripping over them. Plus after about 60 planets they are all the same and its like knowing how a magic trick works.

The ships in NMS also feel the same to me. They look different on the outside and the cockpits differ a bit. Flying them never felt good. NMS ships just = more slots. In elite its all about the ships and it shows. NMS is all about walking around a planet. I hated flying the ships in NMS and combat was awful. Playing space combat in elite prior to NMS really made ship combat and flying unbearable in NMS.

Elite is much deeper than NMS, which is sad cause Elite could benefit from some deeper gameplay. Trading, fighting, navigating, flying, mining are way deeper in elite. Exploring in elite is lacking at them moment, and I think NMS shines more here. Elite doesn't have the same seamless transition NMS has when landing on planets. Elite also only lets to land on planets with no atmospheres. So its like landing on a barren planet in NMS but even more barren. On the flip side the planets in Elite look way more realistic similar to what it looks like to be on our moon.

They both are grind, but NMS has some really ridiculous design decisions. In elite if I sell my ship it goes toward the cost of the new one. NMS makes be basically leave my ship behind like garbage. NMS also makes you have to craft all your items again overtime you change ships or tools! Talk about trying to lengthen their resource hunting gameplay loop. In elite I have equity in my ships I own and money is always useful. NMS is just about getting max slots.

Overall if you just want to chill in a pretty simple/casual space exploration game NMS isn't bad. If you really dig space stuff and want to travel to real stars in our galaxy and want something way more complicated Elite is really good.

One last note, if Elite does one thing amazing its docking your ship at a space station. Ive docked over a 1000 times and overtime it feels awesome. If you have A VR headset elite is also the best thing you can experience right now.

If anyone has specific questions comparing these two games let me know

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm not sure that the day/night is identical on each planet. I was on a planet in a red system last night (for quite awhile) and not once did night turn to day on one side of the planet. Flew over to the light side and it was daytime but never became night.

Has anyone actually measure the time of the day/night cycle?

noomi

This may seem like a silly question, but would anyone be able to tell me the difference between beam focus and beam intensifier mods... I can;t seem to understand exactly how they help.

One works faster to mine, and the other one give more materials?

KaoteK

I'm falling out of love rapidly with this game, between the "already known" bug and increasing frequency of crashes I'm going to wait for fixes, but the real problem is the game play loop is getting really stale now.

I really wish they'd taken some cues from Elite (the original from 1984) such as:

Being able to make a living as a bounty hunter.

Systems having varying levels of danger (more pirates in dangerous systems etc)

There being proper trading, and the ability to smuggle illegal goods, with the risk of having to deal with police if you do.

I really hope future patches can flesh the game out, because there's a basis of something really special here.

I'm falling out of love rapidly with this game, between the "already known" bug and increasing frequency of crashes I'm going to wait for fixes, but the real problem is the game play loop is getting really stale now.

I really wish they'd taken some cues from Elite (the original from 1984) such as:

There being proper trading, and the ability to smuggle illegal goods, with the risk of having to deal with police if you do.

I really hope future patches can flesh the game out, because there's a basis of something really special here.

Funnily enough most of what you're asking for Sean said would be in the game. It sucks there's so much content missing currently.

RedSwirl

I don't mean to derail, but I've been kind of underwhelmed by NMS, and heard about Elite Dangerous. Thought of giving it a try... How does it stack up to this?

I'm not crazy about overly complex flight sims but I do love a rich vast world with combat and exploration. I was hoping NMS would be a bit more deep and rather than bump an ancient ED thread, thought I'd ask here from NMS players whove played both.

(Note: I'll more than likely will continue NMS, but I now have an itch I need to scratch, you know?)

Ive played Elite enough to get most of the ships, and Ive traversed to the center of the galaxy and back in Elite. Ive played NMS enough to max my suit, tool and almost my ship. Ive traveled about 50k light years in NMS. So I have a decent amount played in both games. I think I can help compare them a bit. I might jump around while I compare so forgive me.

They both have issues, but Elite is a much better game to me. The ships in elite are amazing and the combat is deep and satisfying. In elite you feel like a ship commander turning off subsystems and managing more power to weapons etc. Navigating the galaxy in Elite is way easier and more exciting, with more nuanced gameplay. Each ship in elite feel different and exciting and supports different play styles. I also find it more fascinating that the galaxy in Elite is procedural but tries to follow the rules and laws of our known universe. NMS planets are pretty cool and when you get a really good one its awesome. I really dislike that NMS planets often make no sense to me. I guess its all made up, but Ive landed on planets with pleasant perfect weather, generous amount of plants everywhere... and not a single lifeform. Then Ive had planets with that are hell with zero plants 120C temperatures with some many life forms I was tripping over them. Plus after about 60 planets they are all the same and its like knowing how a magic trick works.

The ships in NMS also feel the same to me. They look different on the outside and the cockpits differ a bit. Flying them never felt good. NMS ships just = more slots. In elite its all about the ships and it shows. NMS is all about walking around a planet. I hated flying the ships in NMS and combat was awful. Playing space combat in elite prior to NMS really made ship combat and flying unbearable in NMS.

Elite is much deeper than NMS, which is sad cause Elite could benefit from some deeper gameplay. Trading, fighting, navigating, flying, mining are way deeper in elite. Exploring in elite is lacking at them moment, and I think NMS shines more here. Elite doesn't have the same seamless transition NMS has when landing on planets. Elite also only lets to land on planets with no atmospheres. So its like landing on a barren planet in NMS but even more barren. On the flip side the planets in Elite look way more realistic similar to what it looks like to be on our moon.

They both are grind, but NMS has some really ridiculous design decisions. In elite if I sell my ship it goes toward the cost of the new one. NMS makes be basically leave my ship behind like garbage. NMS also makes you have to craft all your items again overtime you change ships or tools! Talk about trying to lengthen their resource hunting gameplay loop. In elite I have equity in my ships I own and money is always useful. NMS is just about getting max slots.

Overall if you just want to chill in a pretty simple/casual space exploration game NMS isn't bad. If you really dig space stuff and want to travel to real stars in our galaxy and want something way more complicated Elite is really good.

One last note, if Elite does one thing amazing its docking your ship at a space station. Ive docked over a 1000 times and overtime it feels awesome. If you have A VR headset elite is also the best thing you can experience right now.

If you want to do absolutely nothing but chill and look at planets, Space Engine might be your answer. It's free and just had a big update, but there isn't really a game there. It's just a virtual procedurally generated planetarium of our universe. Its advantage is that its procedural generation is far more advanced than NMS or Elite in terms of terrain. It's basically "Alien Landscapes: the Game."

But I agree that Elite Dangerous combat is probably a lot deeper than NMS combat. I've played like 60 hours of Elite exploration though and there's a lot less to do in it than NMS. That said, in my opinion seeing solar systems that actually work like solar systems and have unique configurations of planets, moons, and stars, does something for immersion and believably that just isn't in NMS.

Alebrije

So planets on NMS are more surreal? Exploration on Elite D is about? I mean can you walk on the surface and just wander around to see what you find ?

Bombless

Yeah, my beam cannon is also at 0 and while the game keeps telling me to recharge it with oxydes it keeps firing without issues. /shrug

KaoteK

Funnily enough most of what you're asking for Sean said would be in the game. It sucks there's so much content missing currently.

Thing is, all this stuff would be trivial to add, I mean these are systems that worked well on a ZX Spectrum, in 48k no less.

The updates of Horizon effect Vanilla for everyone - you just cant participate in moon/planet landing or the new crafting system with engineers. But tons of mission overhaul content has taken place to where I was able to play 50+ hours and have a good time whereas last year I put in 13ish and felt miserable after it. Community goals were implemented that make it far easier to earn millions of credits in just a few days, thus opening more options to the player for varying their playstyle. Exploration is still dull, but I found a beautiful system I bookmarked for the eventual update that adds atmospheric planet exploration and gas giant exploration. Truly stunning and original solar system I didn't think would have been generated.

I actually did not know that Horizon improved vanilla as well. I'd assumed that Frontier were pulling a Destiny and basically making the game useless if you didn't pony up for the expansion. Good to know if I want to jump back in!

I'm sort of starting to feel this way too, after a long stretch of just chilling out and enjoying what the game has to offer. Crashes are really bringing me down, but I'm also starting to get that nagging feeling of "get on with it" whenever I discover a new planet. I was especially surprised by how quickly the appeal of trying to find all the species on a planet died--like literally, I did it on one planet and decided it was a really fun challenge and to do it on all planets from then on, and then two planets later I'm kind of okay not doing it again.

Still into it, I think, but might take a bit of a break and wait for the next patch.

Venuspower

Found a really nice planet after all of my last planets were completely dead.

(only edited out the HUD)
Now I want to find a planet full of snow, trees and ice ^__^

BTW: No single crash after I travel with an empty inventory in my exo suit instead of a full inventory.

Carn82

So planets on NMS are more surreal? Exploration on Elite D is about? I mean can you walk on the surface and just wander around to see what you find ?

Currently, asfaik, Elite:D only allows you to land on dead objects, so no flora or fauna or atmosphere.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Done with my full survey of my starting system. I probably won't do this with very many over the course of my playtime, but I loved my starter planet and grew very attached to the system.

The Tiylaanjeli system (pronounced Tile and Jelly) is named for its star, Tiylaanjeli, because I was still learning the controls and uploaded it with the wrong button. Whaddyagonnado.

It's a Class F5f system in the Ibtrevievi Void, with 6 fairly varied celestial bodies. Outside of its hot and cold moons, the planets are named for gemstones.

Its capital world, Amethys, is so named because of the purple grass blanketing its entire surface.
It's described by the Atlas as a Paradise and I'd have to agree. The climate is temperate, there are a number of friendly animal species and while only moderately resource-rich, it is home to a thriving trading post. One day, Amethys will be a heavily colonized waystation for those making their way about the edge of the galaxy.

Amethys has twin lifeless moons nearby, one very cold and one quite hot.

Wintermoon is a snowy everygreen forest wrapped around a planet, with fascinating rock formations
It has some of the fewest outposts or signs of visitation of any world I've seen so far.

Summermoon is not quite so hot as to be difficult to navigate, but is unable to sustain animal life. Surprisingly, it's humid rather than arid, and supports a variety of flora.

Garneti is a planet of red rock with about half of its surface covered in deep blue oceans. Giant snailsloths roam its drifts and the unncessarily aggressive gatorfish make the propsect of open water exploration less than enticing, but its blood-red sky at night against the sea makes for one of the most stunning sights I've seen in the galaxy thus far.

A sister planet to Garneti, Ruby Zoisitia features the same largely red rock and looks deceptively similar to it at night (merely with murkier water), but in the day time has a sickly yellowgreen sky, making the whole planet feel a bit pallid, and it has the wildlife to match. It does have some very interesting coastal cave formations.
Unfortunately, the spinworms in the water and plaguestock cattle with glowing green pustules make it not quite a place I wish to revisit.

Finally, Tourmalus is dry, brown, craggy, and boring. It's one of the few planets I've visited so far that not only harbors no animal life, but cannot sustain any plant life either outside of simple cave flora. Most of its stretches are vast, empty, dusty plains with nothing to see; however, its taller cliffs can look quite nice silhouetted against the horizon.

All in all it's a wonderful system I hope some of you get to visit someday. I'm sadder than I thought I'd be to leave it behind, but in the end there is only one direction we can move: forward.

Haluko

The planets in NMS are wild and surreal, and when you get a good one I think its fantastic. Elite you can land on barren worlds without atmospheres. You can deploy a rover you can drive around in. Its pretty cool although it makes me a bit ill in VR after awhile. In elite you can walk around, but the planets have POIs (points of interest) a bit like NMS. Everything in Elite is trying to pretty realistic.

Someone mentioned space engine if you like to explore a procedural universe, I agree. Space engine is freaking amazing the UI is pretty awful but wow its pretty amazing. The developer is work on vive support. I can't wait.

KaoteK

I'm sort of starting to feel this way too, after a long stretch of just chilling out and enjoying what the game has to offer. Crashes are really bringing me down, but I'm also starting to get that nagging feeling of "get on with it" whenever I discover a new planet. I was especially surprised by how quickly the appeal of trying to find all the species on a planet died--like literally, I did it on one planet and decided it was a really fun challenge and to do it on all planets from then on, and then two planets later I'm kind of okay not doing it again.

Still into it, I think, but might take a bit of a break and wait for the next patch.

Yeah I'm at the point where because I have a ton of hyperdrive fuel, I enter a new system then immediately warp to the next one. I'll sometimes head to a planet to see if there's anything
I haven't seen, but other than weird animals there never really is.

I think I may have to pick up Elite on pc as that sounds much more like what I'm after.

I'm not sure that the day/night is identical on each planet. I was on a planet in a red system last night (for quite awhile) and not once did night turn to day on one side of the planet. Flew over to the light side and it was daytime but never became night.

Has anyone actually measure the time of the day/night cycle?

I'm pretty sure it was measured in the 1.00 leak version, but I'm not sure about 1.03. Day-night cycles haven't felt significantly different from planet to planet for me, and when I've thought I found a planet that had a really long cycle, it was just that the nights just didn't get very dark. I don't think the sunset/sunrise HUD element is shown on planets with environmental hazards, so it's harder to judge.

But if your anecdote is correct, that'd be great.

Spyware

Done with my full survey of my starting system. I probably won't do this with very many over the course of my playtime, but I loved my starter planet and grew very attached to the system.

Oh gosh. I loved this :D
I hope you post more stuff like this!

Venuspower

Interesting. I had my first crash recently after I changed my strategy to use the exosuit as primary storage rather than the ship.

I usually use both inventorys really much. 45 slots of my ship inventory are full.
And 47 slots of my exo suit. If I use all 48 slots the game becomes really unstable (PS4 version btw). In that case the game will crash every few minutes at every activity (even when I am navigating in the menu).

My First thoughts when I started my journey was, that the crashes are related to the progress I did in the game. But then I found out that my exosuit is the bad guy here :D

Still have some crashes (usually while using a black hole). But never had any freezes or crashing while moving items, running around the world or navigating in the menu since I pay attention of my exo suit slots.

Wintermoon is a snowy everygreen forest wrapped around a planet, with fascinating rock formations

It has some of the fewest outposts or signs of visitation of any world I've seen so far.

My winter planet is out there somewhere. I've only come across one planet with snow on it but it was a dud.

IIRC, Elite was a big influence on the team. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see features like those added.

Alebrije

The planets in NMS are wild and surreal, and when you get a good one I think its fantastic. Elite you can land on barren worlds without atmospheres. You can deploy a rover you can drive around in. Its pretty cool although it makes me a bit ill in VR after awhile. In elite you can walk around, but the planets have POIs (points of interest) a bit like NMS. Everything in Elite is trying to pretty realistic.

Someone mentioned space engine if you like to explore a procedural universe, I agree. Space engine is freaking amazing the UI is pretty awful but wow its pretty amazing. The developer is work on vive support. I can't wait.

Thanks , it seems NMS with a patch about real solar movement and better trade system could end a better experience for explorers enthusiasts. Will look for Space Engine since like exploration

Loudninja

The Tiylaanjeli system (pronounced Tile and Jelly) is named for its star, Tiylaanjeli, because I was still learning the controls and uploaded it with the wrong button. Whaddyagonnado.

It's a Class F5f system in the Ibtrevievi Void, with 6 fairly varied celestial bodies. Outside of its hot and cold moons, the planets are named for gemstones.

Its capital world, Amethys, is so named because of the purple grass blanketing its entire surface.

It's described by the Atlas as a Paradise and I'd have to agree. The climate is temperate, there are a number of friendly animal species and while only moderately resource-rich, it is home to a thriving trading post. One day, Amethys will be a heavily colonized waystation for those making their way about the edge of the galaxy.

Amethys has twin lifeless moons nearby, one very cold and one quite hot.

Summermoon is not quite so hot as to be difficult to navigate, but is unable to sustain animal life. Surprisingly, it's humid rather than arid, and supports a variety of flora.

Garneti is a planet of red rock with about half of its surface covered in deep blue oceans. Giant snailsloths roam its surface and the unncessarily aggressive gatorfish make the propsect of open water exploration less than enticing, but its blood-red sky at night against the sea makes for one of the most stunning sights I've seen in the galaxy thus far.

A sister planet to Garneti, Ruby Zoisitia features the same largely red rock and looks deceptively similar to it at night (merely with murkier water), but in the day time has a sickly yellowgreen sky, making the whole planet feel a bit pallid, and it has the wildlife to match. It does have some very interesting coastal cave formations.

Unfortunately, the spinworms in the water and plaguestock cattle with glowing green pustules make it not quite a place I wish to revisit.

Finally, Tourmalus is dry, brown, craggy, and boring. It's one of the few planets I've visited so far that not only harbors no animal life, but cannot sustain any plant life either outside of simple cave flora. Most of its stretches are vast, empty, dusty plains with nothing to see; however, its taller cliffs can look quite nice silhouetted against the horizon.

All in all it's a wonderful system I hope some of you get to visit someday. I'm sadder than I thought I'd be to leave it behind, but in the end there is only one direction we can move: forward.
Some great looking stuff :0

Oh, the experimental branch fixed the problem with Gek Transmission towers.

Guess I'm going to have to use a trainer or something.

I don't see how they thought Starship slot upgrades make sense as it is. Upgrading the Exo Suit all the way costs like 6 million units or something, whereas the Starship... Well, that depends entirely on how much time you're willing to spend looking for transmission towers and crashed ships, and the game actively discourages upgrading anything but a max-slot item (besides the exo suit) because you're literally just throwing away the old thing and getting a new one every time you increase it by 1 or 2 slots.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Honestly the "real" soler system model would actually break one of Sean's other things he mentioned.

He wanted to have the planets closer than they really would be to mimic the artistic science fiction covers and movies where you would see multiple moons or planets on the horizon

If they had actual star system properties you would lose much of this effect

Also I could potentially see it as a confusing task as to where you are with planetary rotation built into that as well.

One of the other issues I could see is you see the trade route lines in the areas in which those would have to follow the roations and AI would need far more programming.

So at some point there had to be a trade off and my guess they wanted to have artistic vision over programming

Muzicfreq

Banned
I decided to record me just sitting around. I think on stormy planets that are always raining there's lightning.

I can confirm thunder though.

Lightning probably more in the flash of light effect.

Zafir

Oh, the experimental branch fixed the problem with Gek Transmission towers.

Guess I'm going to have to use a trainer or something.

I don't see how they thought Starship slot upgrades make sense as it is. Upgrading the Exo Suit all the way costs like 6 million units or something, whereas the Starship... Well, that depends entirely on how much time you're willing to spend looking for transmission towers and crashed ships, and the game actively discourages upgrading anything but a max-slot item (besides the exo suit) because you're literally just throwing away the old thing and getting a new one every time you increase it by 1 or 2 slots.

Have they? I haven't got an update, and I tried it earlier today to see what the fuss was about and it still seemed to work.

But yeah I totally agree. I was looking at some ships and they were like 120mil for 43 slots. That's utterly insane. I thought I was doing pretty decently at 15mil, but evidently not!

The only way I've seen people reach that much is through that duping glitch, which I'm sure will also be fixed.

Septimius

Well, sol is our sun, so 1 Sol is normally a way of saying "one earth year", so it would be the same everywhere

Great writeup. My starter system wasn't quite as picturesque as yours, but I do miss it.

Honestly the "real" soler system model would actually break one of Sean's other things he mentioned.

He wanted to have the planets closer than they really would be to mimic the artistic science fiction covers and movies where you would see multiple moons or planets on the horizon

I mentioned this earlier, but the easy solution would be to have more moons per planet. You'd get the same book cover effect without making solar systems look like dioramas of clumped together planets. Given the fixed amounts of planets in the universe, this would have reduced either the number of planets per system, or reduced the total number of star systems, but IMO would have been a better tradeoff given how much the current systems break immersion.

I hope Sean will take another pass at this in future updates.

BouncyFrag

Having fully upgraded my gear to my liking, heading for the center is terrible affair with all the game crashes when warping. I'm always sure to hop in and out of my ship when leaving a planet to at least have a current restore point it's so bad. Fuck this broken game.

Where would I find Warp Reactors Tau and Theta? I got Sigma a long time ago but I can't for the life of me figure out to get either of these blue prints.

mokeyjoe

Also I could potentially see it as a confusing task as to where you are with planetary rotation built into that as well.

One of the other issues I could see is you see the trade route lines in the areas in which those would have to follow the roations and AI would need far more programming.

So at some point there had to be a trade off and my guess they wanted to have artistic vision over programming

Yeah, I mean in some ways NMS is trying to be what Elite isn't, rather than what it is. I also think it's a little unfair, at this stage, to compare NMS to a title which has had substantial updates over a couple of years and is has a gameplay heritage stretching across decades.

If NMS was better than Elite out of the gate then it would a hell if an achievement. I think in a year or two we'll have to see if the game has been updated in the manner being suggested. There's a great core of something there, I feel, and maybe time will tell if it can live up to the promise.

Top Bottom