• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie explains why Destiny 2 doesn't have dedicated servers

Disker

What a lousy answer.

Why not? "Well we don't want to spend to money even though we are gonna break even very easily, we don't want to invest in something crucial to the multiplayer experience"

Cranster

Banned
It's fun to make jokes but young writer Luke knew none of the details that people in current Luke's position have to worry about. There are people you have to answer to and serious limitations that you have to face.
Even then though Bungie is not the same developer they were back when Luke Smith was at 1up. The breakup with Marty is proof of that.

00ich

Is there a drawback to dedicated servers outside of cost?

Scalability and locality.

You can't just rent as many servers as you want anywhere in the world at that scale. In a P2P setup this fixes itself, with each console potentially acting as a server.

Bungie might need a new internal division to handle the planning and b2b relations to the datacenters. Blizzard had 70 people working on this in 2009.

If that planning doesn't work out the whole game tanks and with Millions of players looming at day one that's quite a gamble.
Maybe Blizzard shares it's knowledge but most probably not. Blizzard had 10000-15000 servers running. On the other hand the P2P code is tried and tested at this point.

Again, if it's that easy, then go to bungie and explain them.

Again, if it's that easy to fix, go and explain them how to make the same amount of money with that budget and this investment, explain that to any dev on the planet and make sure to put a timer to see how long you can talk before they start laughing.

Oh look they pretty much did that thing I said:

Bungie said:
https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/45919/7_This-Week-At-Bungie--05252017

Every activity in Destiny 2 is hosted by one of our servers. That means you will never again suffer a host migration during your Raid attempt or Trials match. This differs from Destiny 1, where these hosting duties were performed by player consoles and only script and mission logic ran in the data center. To understand the foundation on which we’re building, check out this Destiny 1 presentation from GDC. Using the terms from this talk, in Destiny 2, both the Mission Host and Physics Host will run in our data centers.
Though I have no idea why they're being so pedantic on the term "dedicated servers" especially when they seem to use a very liberal definition of peer-to-peer.

On the bright side that sounds like a real quality of life improvement for PVE content. But it sounds like they are going to keep handing laggers an unfair advantage in Crucible. On the bright side I only pop into Crucible to grind out quests and the like to help with PVE. Hopefully there is less of that in the sequel. It's bad enough when I'm playing like a complete asshat for some stupid quest in a 6v6 mode, but it will be even worse for my poor teammates in 4v4.

Top Bottom