• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koshien 2017 | Japan National High School Baseball Tournament

Beckx

l8RYoei.png

It’s time for Koshien!

Welcome to the NeoGAF discussion thread for Summer Koshien 2017, the Japan National High School Baseball Championship.

The tournament starts at 8pm ET tonight and will be streamed live at Asahi's site (http://www.asahi.com/koshien/). The first game is at 9:30ET tonight.

The National High School Baseball Tournament of Japan (referred to in shorthand as “Koshien” or “Summer Koshien” because it takes place at Koshien Stadium) is an annual high school baseball tournament organized by the Japanese national high school baseball federation in partnership with Asahi Shinbun.

This year is the 99th tournament.

The Japanese baseball nationals are pretty much the hypest thing ever. It’s a single elimination tourney It’s a single elimination tourney and for the seniors on the team, a loss means the end of their high school careers.

Every player on the field has been dreaming of getting to this stage and as a result the games are high drama with lots of emotion. Plus you’re pretty much guaranteed to see players who will be drafted out of high school to play pro ball in Japan and eventually make it to the US (like current Yankee ace Masahiro Tanaka).

JzQLm4Wl.png

In the first few rounds, there are three games per day. You can see the full schedule here (start times are local Japan time).

You can watch all the games at Asahi's Koshien site: http://www.asahi.com/koshien/

Asahi has apps for watching on your phone. (Links to be added later)

If you want to watch a full game replay, go to:

(Links to be added later when we confirm if they are available)

rdnoxoDl.png

Your absolute best source for information about the tournament is @eigokokoyakyu on twitter + blog at https://eigokokoyakyu.wordpress.com/

Also, YakyuDB.com will have full schedules, results, and stats for the tournament. The broadcasts will be in Japanese, but it’s not too hard to follow.

When you’re looking at stats, some quick things you can look for:

打率 = batting average
打点 = RBI
本塁打 (likely abbreviated in stat lines as 本) = home run
防御率 = ERA
2年 or 3年 = second year or third year student

Some things you’ll hear during the broadcasts:

“Sanshin” = strikeout
“Karaburi sanshin” = swinging strikeout
“Tsu base” = two base, e.g. double
“Haitaa!” = home run call, it’s gone
“Douten runnaa” = tying runner on base
“Straighto” or “massugu straighto” = fastball
“Kaabu” = curveball
“Forku” = forkball
“Slidaa” = slider

For position players the broadcasts tend to use equivalents to the US terms rather than the native Japanese, so I won’t list those because it’s pretty easy, like “sentaa” is the Center Fielder and “shorto” is the Shortstop.

if you want to participate on twitter, use the hashtags #高校野球 (high school baseball), #センバツ (Senbatsu) and #甲子園 (Koshien).

xCjjQkjl.png

Sadly I haven't had time to do a "teams to watch" preview this year. I have my eye on Yokohama and, of course, Osaka Toin. As always, I'll be rooting for the Hokkaido teams as well.

But never fear: eigokokoyakyu has put together an extensive preview and a tier list to help you out!

(More resources to come via edits.)

Enjoy the tournament everyone!

Beckx

It's pretty cool that the JWBL sponsored girl's baseball manga Karin Mound is getting promos this year.

Lucumo

Ha, it was actually an issue with the ad never loading (despite disabling all my addons) in the first place and me probably clicking on the "play" button too quickly.

Syf

Banned
Cool, thanks for this. Loved going to ball games in Osaka. First time watching this tournament though.

Beckx

The mobile app is way better for me than the site, as per usual. The app's features in general are way better.

Band playing the Comet Empire (Gatlantis) theme that inning, the Yamato revival continues!

Lucumo

The mobile app is way better for me than the site, as per usual. The app's features in general are way better.

Works as usual for me...also still way better than what we had some years ago.

And damn, that Touch music.

Lucumo

Sigh. Damn player problems in the final inning and now I can't even reach the website (An error (502 Bad Gateway) has occurred in response to this request.)

/edit: Looks like they equalized and I missed it...

Ottaro

Tied game in the bottom of the ninth, one out to go.

I will say it's great seeing how happy these kids are to be there compared to the grumpy old dudes that populate MLB. lol. This is my first time watching this.

Edit: Incredible finish.

Lucumo

Damn, that was a great opening game!

I'm exhausted though, going to sleep now. See y'all tomorrow.
Thought the same, definitely not an unentertaining one.

See you.

Tied game in the bottom of the ninth, one out to go.

I will say it's great seeing how happy these kids are to be there compared to the grumpy old dudes that populate MLB. lol. This is my first time watching this.

Edit: Incredible finish.
Yeah, I only ever watch Spring/Summer Koshien with the occasional NPB game every blue moon.

Lucumo

Wait, I went to the bakery for a moment and now it's raining like crazy? I apparently also missed 3 runs by Tochiku...

Lucumo

Damn, at least I should be able to watch the highlights in a bit...which they just showed as I was typing. Nice HR there. I hope they will continue. Games during rain are always fun.

Monumma

Sounds like i missed a crazy game. 3rd game at the top of the hour, thanks rain for not making me miss 2. xd

edit: whats up with the music for the recap at the end, lol.

Top Bottom