• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

OBias

Best way to kill technomsncer? And nightmare? What weapons work best against them. Technomancers take forever, and I haven't fought a nightmare yet.

The Disruptor stun gun is great against technopaths. Not sure if it's the most efficient way but I was always killing the nightmare with Q-Beam.

Best way to kill technomsncer? And nightmare? What weapons work best against them. Technomancers take forever, and I haven't fought a nightmare yet.

Upgraded Q-Beam + Combat Focus kills Technomancers and Telepaths in no time. If you start when they're unaware one Combat Focus should do it. You don't even need to nullify their powers.

Upgraded shotgun + Combat Focus can take a Nightmare out pretty good. Takes about 9-10 shells.

Holy shit, this is a System-Shock-ass System Shock game. I'm having a great time so far, just arrived at the Arboretum but I'm taking my time exploring and scavenging like I usually play these immersive sims. I feel like the gunplay's a little wonky, but then again most games in the genre are like that. Still not sure how to deal with certain enemies but it's good that the game encourages at least a bit of experimentation, since just ramming shotgun shells at Phantoms isn't doing that much, which is something that should theoretically work in a classic FPS scenario, but the nature of these creatures forces you to mix it up a bit.

Love some of the obvious System Shock homages like the aptly named "looking glass" displays and the elevators, not to mention the entire setting and concept.

I kinda didn't keep up with the game that much pre-launch and I knew it was basically an immersive sim, but man, I did not expect this decent of a spiritual sequel to System Shock 2. So far it feels like a good compromise between SS2 and Bioshock, fixing and streamlining most annoyances from SS2 while still feeling more open ended and complex than what Bioshock turned out to be.

It's a bit of a shame that the story and setting so far feel a bit underwhelming and somewhat derivative of Bioshock's style and ideas, and not as strong as its predecessors. Mechanically though, it's pretty satisfying so far.

Stoze

The Disruptor stun gun is great against technopaths.

The stun gun is great against just about everything in the game. It's range and stun time are absurd when upgraded and firing weapons at it don't break the stun, unlike GLOO.

Near the end of my playthrough, I honestly found myself inadvertently shying away from using stun gun and combat focus just so I could actually fight and improvise in combat instead of hitting the win button (either way it was fun though).

Rizzi

Well fuck the end of this game. Fuck it to death.
Dahl is IN THE MEDICAL BAY you stupid asshole. Maybe instead of ignoring that fact, the game could instead oh, I don't know.. Actually trigger whatever it is that is supposed to save him? No? Oh but boy oh boy flying around in zero gravity sure is "fun"
when any collision kills him instantly.

Stoze

Well fuck the end of this game. Fuck it to death.
Dahl is IN THE MEDICAL BAY you stupid asshole. Maybe instead of ignoring that fact, the game could instead oh, I don't know.. Actually trigger whatever it is that is supposed to save him? No? Oh but boy oh boy flying around in zero gravity sure is "fun"
when any collision kills him instantly.
Not sure what you're talking about:
Dahl is in the Oxygen Processing room in Life Support. You can "save" him by knocking him out via stun gun.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm stuck, how do I get up from the
Reactor? (to speak to Alex in his office)
I don't have enough spare parts to repair the lift and I can't for the life of me find out how to get out of here without it, I've tried climbing all over the place for ages with no luck, it's starting to really piss me off now. Lacking 1 spare part has cost me so much time :/

xrnzaaas

I don't have enough spare parts to repair the lift and I can't for the life of me find out how to get out of here without it, I've tried climbing all over the place for ages with no luck, it's starting to really piss me off now. Lacking 1 spare part has cost me so much time :/

Climbing is a viable option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WClFyleDlQ

Nabs

I spawned an engineer then killed it. rip.

I believe there's a staircase you can take in the middle. It goes pretty high up, then you can climb your way out.

The Stig

bought the game after seeing the reviews and was hyped.

Sadly all the textures keep turning completely black. Unplayable.

intel i5 6600k
strix nvidia 1060GTX 6gb

even tried the brand new bleeding edge graphics driver. no luck :(

Nabs

bought the game after seeing the reviews and was hyped.

Sadly all the textures keep turning completely black. Unplayable.

intel i5 6600k
strix nvidia 1060GTX 6gb

even tried the brand new bleeding edge graphics driver. no luck :(

That's when you go and check the performance thread. I believe you're supposed to disable SSR.

Rizzi

Well, I beat it.
Some games are greater than the sum of its parts.
This is not one of them.

You were a typhon all along, inside a simulation. Written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan. Blegh.

The last half kind of dragged on for way too long. I was basically invincible at the end that enemies were more of an inconvenience than threatening. Or concerning in the slightest.
And the zero gravity areas. God those were annoying.

Rizzi

Did you
save Igwe earlier? He may have handled that shit himself so all you needed to do was follow his instructions later.

Yeah.
He was yelling at me on the radio that he died and now they couldn't ever escape if I so much as left the area. Whatever though, it was meaningless anyway.

Eusis

Yeah.
He was yelling at me on the radio that he died and now they couldn't ever escape if I so much as left the area. Whatever though, it was meaningless anyway.
Weird. My sequence of events was
knocking him out with a stun gun unaware in air filtration, then later heading to neuromod division to initiate removal, with Igwe moving him there off camera.
Ah well, yeah, not worth sweating.

lmao, no clue. My bad, I didn't know that part could be dramatically different. After I
knocked him out, I didn't have to do anything. Igwe picks him up and takes him to the Neuromod Division.

Weird. My sequence of events was
knocking him out with a stun gun unaware in air filtration, then later heading to neuromod division to initiate removal, with Igwe moving him there off camera.
Ah well, yeah, not worth sweating.

This is how I got that encounter myself:
If you ignore Dahl telling you to come to Life Support and instead go after his tech officer, Dahl will move to the Arboretum and try to kill Alex. Once you reach the Arboretum you have a very short window to race up there and incapacitate Dahl. Then once the Apex attacks afterwards, you have to move Dahl's body to the medical bay just like how you have to put Alex's body in his safe room. It worked fine for me though, but guess others may be having issues with it detecting that you carried his body there.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How many hours am I from the end?
The military drones have just shown up in Alex's office
. I'm honestly struggling to find the will to finish it as I'm not enjoying it much anymore but if I'm close I will.

Eusis

How many hours am I from the end?
The military drones have just shown up in Alex's office
. I'm honestly struggling to find the will to finish it as I'm not enjoying it much anymore but if I'm close I will.
Yeah, you're really close now. And I imagine you're familiar enough with the station to just run to the objectives and complete them with relative ease.

Starfield

can someone tell me how long the game takes if you want to explore every area, do every side quest and main quest?

Getting a HUGE Bioshock vibe from this <3

Warablo

Any recommendations on first 5 neuromods? Can I drop stuff on the ground without it disappearing? Do the mimic tumors stay on the corpses?

Any recommendations on first 5 neuromods? Can I drop stuff on the ground without it disappearing? Do the mimic tumors stay on the corpses?

1 I'd say hacking and scientist ablitity that allows you to harvest more from typhon is essential.

2 You can, though I haven't tried to leave the area to see if they are still there. Different area meaning between loading screens.

3 I think some might disappear when switching areas. It happened a couple times to me.

GavinUK86

can someone tell me how long the game takes if you want to explore every area, do every side quest and main quest?

Getting a HUGE Bioshock vibe from this <3

I did everything. All missions. Read all emails. Listened to all audio logs. Steam tells me I played it for 52 hours.

noomi

Question about one of the audio logs I listened to....

It was two guys talking. One of them was asking a hypothetical question about something "bad" they knew and wanted to know how it should be handled or exposed anonymously. So the other guy says you should post it on the huge sign outside for everyone to see. Now I imagine he was talking about the giant Transstar sign floating around in space, but I never got around to actually looking behind it to see...

also

I think one of them said something about a girl "slapping their peepee" made me lol

Sokka

Question about one of the audio logs I listened to....

It was two guys talking. One of them was asking a hypothetical question about something "bad" they knew and wanted to know how it should be handled or exposed anonymously. So the other guy says you should post it on the huge sign outside for everyone to see. Now I imagine he was talking about the giant Transstar sign floating around in space, but I never got around to actually looking behind it to see...

also

I think one of them said something about a girl "slapping their peepee" made me lol

About the first question

If you go to the Transstar sign you can see him stuck in some antennas, you can hack a nearby computer to reveal what he was going to change the sign to. It will say something like "ESCAPE PODS DON'T WORK"

noomi

About the first question

If you go to the Transstar sign you can see him stuck in some antennas, you can hack a nearby computer to reveal what he was going to change the sign to. It will say something like "ESCAPE PODS DON'T WORK"

HAH! That's pretty fucking awesome. Little details and side stories like that are so much fun. Glad to know it actually led to some conclusion. Thanks for the reply.

I left off at the end of the game, at the point where I have to choose
whether to go along with the original plan to blow up the station or Alex's/pre-memory wipe Morgan's plan to infect the coral. Not sure which to do... I'll do both in the end of course by just reloading my save.

I just don't get some of the complaints leveled at the game. I can understand console players who had to deal with input lag complaining about finding Mimics hard to hit with the wrench, but that the game is too hard, or the zero gravity segments too difficult to navigate? Or the people who finish the game in less than 15 hours... I guess "immersive sims" (I really hate that term) aren't for everyone, if you're not the kind to go out of your way to poke around and explore just for the sake of exploration that might lessen the game for people, and make it harder to boot. And as for the zero G segments, keep saying people here saying they hate those but I loved navigating the GUTS and zooming around the exterior. Even before this game I loved the zero-G navigation in Adr1ft and indeed kinda want to replay that now. It's kind of interesting to see how different people can have such different opinions about the game, but it kinda saddens me that not everyone can enjoy it as much as I have.

I'm guessing I'll probably finish up at around 35 hours tonight, and will save all the humans on the station except for that guy in Psychotronics who I killed because I didn't want to let a prisoner go free... Will be mildly upset if that keeps me from getting an achievement, but oh well. It's been a great ride.

I left off at the end of the game, at the point where I have to choose
whether to go along with the original plan to blow up the station or Alex's/pre-memory wipe Morgan's plan to infect the coral. Not sure which to do... I'll do both in the end of course by just reloading my save.

I just don't get some of the complaints leveled at the game. I can understand console players who had to deal with input lag complaining about finding Mimics hard to hit with the wrench, but that the game is too hard, or the zero gravity segments too difficult to navigate? Or the people who finish the game in less than 15 hours... I guess "immersive sims" (I really hate that term) aren't for everyone, if you're not the kind to go out of your way to poke around and explore just for the sake of exploration that might lessen the game for people, and make it harder to boot. And as for the zero G segments, keep saying people here saying they hate those but I loved navigating the GUTS and zooming around the exterior. Even before this game I loved the zero-G navigation in Adr1ft and indeed kinda want to replay that now. It's kind of interesting to see how different people can have such different opinions about the game, but it kinda saddens me that not everyone can enjoy it as much as I have.

I'm guessing I'll probably finish up at around 35 hours tonight, and will save all the humans on the station except for that guy in Psychotronics who I killed because I didn't want to let a prisoner go free... Will be mildly upset if that keeps me from getting an achievement, but oh well. It's been a great ride.

I'm not sure if people found the zero-g sections to be difficult so much as annoying, just because of how slowly you move in those areas. At least in the cargo tunnel of GUTS you've got that conveyor belt you can kind of glom onto, but the maintenance tunnel and the outside of the station limit yout to 1.5m/s (except for one time when I managed 2m/s somehow, still not sure how I did that). There's one sidequest on the outside of the station that took a few minutes just to get to, and there's nothing to do in the meantime. I just read GAF on my phone for a while.

Regarding Psychotronics:
you did indeed miss out on an achievement. But whatever, I'm still considering making a save at the end of the game to get that achievement and then reloading and murdering who I feel should be murdered.

Lime

Does using the alien magic stuff affect the ending? I am currently avoiding using or developing any of my powers precisely because of thinking that it'll affect the ending, but at the same time, it feels like I'm missing out a huge part of the gameplay by not using the alien magic.

For those who are having trouble with Zero-G travel and feel its too slow, you can speed yourself up by using thrust.

I wouldn't go too fast if I were you as you might get yourself into a collision and get hurt (or killed in other cases) in the process.

kliklik

Banned

You know that stuff is pretty much made up, right? The woman who runs those experiments was getting moral pangs about it and was going to blow the whistle. There are a few emails and transcribes back and forth about how to deal with her and "the situation" she was causing by increasingly questioning what they were doing. The guy in charge told her he put the prison records on the computer to reassure her. It's just there to make it easier for her to kill them and not blow the whistle on what is highly illegal. They were telling prisoners earth-side that they'd have their sentences commuted and be able to return to society if they 'volunteer', and maybe even get some free neuromods to boot. There's even a promotional poster of that very prisoner saying he's headed home, when they were clearly about to kill him.

I'm not sure if people found the zero-g sections to be difficult so much as annoying, just because of how slowly you move in those areas. At least in the cargo tunnel of GUTS you've got that conveyor belt you can kind of glom onto, but the maintenance tunnel and the outside of the station limit yout to 1.5m/s (except for one time when I managed 2m/s somehow, still not sure how I did that). There's one sidequest on the outside of the station that took a few minutes just to get to, and there's nothing to do in the meantime. I just read GAF on my phone for a while.

What? The top speed is 9.94 m/s. You need to use the 'sprint' button for thrusters.

OBias

At least in the cargo tunnel of GUTS you've got that conveyor belt you can kind of glom onto, but the maintenance tunnel and the outside of the station limit yout to 1.5m/s (except for one time when I managed 2m/s somehow, still not sure how I did that).

Uhhhhh you can actually sprint in zero-g and get 9.99m/s.

Zocano

Wait what. I could totally get to 15.99 m/s in zero-g flight.

It was very quick for me to get around. I assume a suit chipset let me get the extra 5 m/s

Just entering Life Support for the

Self destruction key, Alex's key that is.

I'm gonna assume I am pretty far, right? To be honest I hope not. Don't want this to end.

Top Bottom