• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded |OT| Bound and Rebound

Wonko_C

thank you and holeeeee sheeeeeit! i have been using the drift button like an ebrake. i cannot wait to try playing the way this review states. they could have at least mentioned that in the fucking manual for chrissakes.

I haven't played the game but I thought holding the drift button was one of the first ovbious things to try, I remember the first times playing Hot Pursuit I held down the X button only for my car to spin out of control, until I read somewhere that I just had to tap the button. I facepalmed so hard it left a mark.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
On your scale, Unbounded is the Greek alphabet

Js15H.jpg

Xander51

That Eurogamer review just sold me on the game. I love the FlatOut games, but I was wary of this due to the poor marketing and after watching that Quick Look, but that review totally turned me around. I'm going to wait and see if the PC version indeed shows up on Steam tomorrow.

That Eurogamer review just sold me on the game. I love the FlatOut games, but I was wary of this due to the poor marketing and after watching that Quick Look, but that review totally turned me around. I'm going to wait and see if the PC version indeed shows up on Steam tomorrow.

Same, this game wasnt on my radar 15 minutes ago, but after reading that review and watching the videos they had poster, I will be picking up a 360 copy after work. Game looks surprisingly great and like a really fun time. Pretty excited!

Xander51

Same, this game wasnt on my radar 15 minutes ago, but after reading that review and watching the videos they had poster, I will be picking up a 360 copy after work. Game looks surprisingly great and like a really fun time. Pretty excited!

Indeed! If it doesn't end up dropping for PC tomorrow, I'll pick up the 360 version. The fact that some have already found retail PC copies is somewhat encouraging, but with this game who knows.

I'll warn you guys. The game has a learning curve to it. It's challenging but rewarding if you play right (apparently, I haven't done that great so far).

robot

I'm holding down the fun button, but am still getting my ass kicked.

Some pretty fun tracks online. Lots of crazy jumps!

jett

D-Member
A drift button? That you have to keep pressed the entire time during your drift? How do you introduce something completely alien to racing games and not explain it in-game? :lol

What framerate does this hit on the consoles?

daviyoung

Banned
A drift button? That you have to keep pressed the entire time during your drift? How do you introduce something completely alien to racing games and not explain it in-game? :lol

That's pretty much the case with Hot Pursuit too, some of the drifting in the faster cars is almost Mario Kart-like.

Xander51

I'll warn you guys. The game has a learning curve to it. It's challenging but rewarding if you play right (apparently, I haven't done that great so far).

Yeah, the FlatOut games (the entries made by Bugbear anyway) are similar. I'm okay with it as long as it doesn't feel cheap.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
From what I read it's a rock solid 30. Min. pc requirements are fairly low though so if you have a mid range pc I'd suggest that option.
Hopefully the PC version is solid. I've run into too many instances with PC racing games where I find myself unable to hit a perfectly smooth framerate. Split/Second was limited to 30 fps (where 30 fps limits don't really work due to additional judder that isn't present on consoles). Blur was broken on ATI cards with tons of hitching (now I'm using nVidia, though). NFS-Hot Pursuit still doesn't deliver a rock solid framerate on my i7 + GTX580. NFS-The Run launched with a 30 fps limiter (which was later removed).

I've simply grown weary of fast paced racing games on the PC. Whether they have issues streaming the data fast enough or with general performance, I don't have a lot of faith in PC racers these days. Codemasters work is one of the only exceptions. Hopefully BugBear delivers as well.

GrayFoxPL

Can someone tell me about control options?

Customizable?

Can I have gas, brake on X and square or right stick and drift button on shoulder buttons?

Pretty please.

Wonko_C

That's pretty much the case with Hot Pursuit too, some of the drifting in the faster cars is almost Mario Kart-like.

What the F...fiddlesticks? (not being offensive) Did we play the same game? (NFS) I just tap the handbrake to initiate a drift. The car will slide through the curves pretty much in an Outrun 2 fashion. Holding down the handbrake caused me to spiral out of control. OMG I'm so going to try to play like this now.

EDIT: Nope, Holding the handbrake results in my car doing an uncontrollable 180 and stopping dead in its tracks. Did I understand it wrong, perhaps?

bryanee

Tried it EG's way and nah I prefer to just hold the drift in for maybe a second. I get alot more speed around corners doing it that way.

Can someone tell me about control options?

Customizable?

Can I have gas, brake on X and square or right stick and drift button on shoulder buttons?

Pretty please.

Two configs, that's it. Would have to look at the controls, as the default had accel and brake on triggers, but I think the other had face buttons. Can't be certain, though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hopefully the PC version is solid. I've run into too many instances with PC racing games where I find myself unable to hit a perfectly smooth framerate. Split/Second was limited to 30 fps (where 30 fps limits don't really work due to additional judder that isn't present on consoles). Blur was broken on ATI cards with tons of hitching (now I'm using nVidia, though). NFS-Hot Pursuit still doesn't deliver a rock solid framerate on my i7 + GTX580. NFS-The Run launched with a 30 fps limiter (which was later removed).

I've simply grown weary of fast paced racing games on the PC. Whether they have issues streaming the data fast enough or with general performance, I don't have a lot of faith in PC racers these days. Codemasters work is one of the only exceptions. Hopefully BugBear delivers as well.
Flatout 1, 2 and UC ran like a champ on the PC. I'm optimistic.

robot

Are you using it in conjunction with the brake?

No, that's probably the issue - a tear rolls down my check once in awhile because I wish it had the same drift style as the rest of the series. I'm probably in the minority though. Outrun 2 still has my favorite drifting though so there's hope here.

daviyoung

Banned
What the F...fiddlesticks? (not being offensive) Did we play the same game? (NFS) I just tap the handbrake to initiate a drift. The car will slide through the curves pretty much in an Outrun 2 fashion. Holding down the handbrake caused me to spiral out of control. OMG I'm so going to try to play like this now.

EDIT: Nope, Holding the handbrake results in my car doing an uncontrollable 180 and stopping dead in its tracks. Did I understand it wrong, perhaps?
Oh yeh, sorry was getting confused.

surly

Banned
This game is hard as fug
When I first started playing it, I thought that too. In fact, I was put off by it. I tried plenty of times to win the first race but couldn't even come in the top 3.

I ended up switching to different events as they unlocked, and new cars would unlock too, so I'd go back and try earlier events with different cars and I'd end up doing much better - maybe I was getting better at playing the game too. When I went back to the first race with one of the other cars, it only took me 2 attempts to win.

As such, I really like the difficulty level. It's unforgiving when you first start playing, but don't let that put you off - and I say that as someone that's not great at racing games in general anyway.

Jubbly

First shots from the PC version. No config options, locked VSync, no obvious way to tweak via available files C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\SteamUserNumber\202310\local\ridge racer unbounded

ridgeracerconfigre6e5.png

rru2012-03-3001-38-39ctw23.png

rru2012-03-3001-41-575m685.png

rru2012-03-3001-41-12v41tc.png

Top Bottom