• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer Unbounded |OT| Bound and Rebound

Arucardo

One more tip, if you're having trouble with the frag attack events just keep tapping A to boost all the time (don't wait to use it, it fills back up right away) and to skip the slowmotion crashes (you can hit more cars at once more easily when doing that)

EDIT: (heh can't stop doing this) one more thing about drifting, you have to exit the drift gently, if you push the stick all the way to the side you'll just end up drifting in the other direction. The feels like a mix of NFS Most Wanted and TrackMania 2 to me (which is great!). Sometimes it goes a little wider than I expected but I'm starting to learn the logic to it.

One more tip, if you're having trouble with the frag attack events just keep tapping A to boost all the time (don't wait to use it, it fills back up right away) and to skip the slowmotion crashes (you can hit more cars at once more easily when doing that)

EDIT: (heh can't stop doing this) one more thing about drifting, you have to exit the drift gently, if you push the stick all the way to the side you'll just end up drifting in the other direction. The feels like a mix of NFS Most Wanted and TrackMania 2 to me (which is great!). Sometimes it goes a little wider than I expected but I'm starting to learn the logic to it.

Everyone should be turning off the slow-motion camera stuff. It actually makes Fragging a lot easier to do.

I wish they came up with a term better than fragging.

Jubbly

What other graphical settings should it have?

- VSync Toggle
- Detail levels (you either have a PC good enough to play the game, or you don't)
- AA options

That's what I hope for at the bare minimum from a PC game.

Have to say, bar those issues, this is one cracking, super enjoyable game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the game doesn't work. It says it's connecting to servers and crashes to desktop immediately.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I think a decent tutorial would be a start. I personally don't mind not having one but for the average joe who doesn't hit a message board or see tweets from BugBear it would be an accessible way to understand the dynamics of the gameplay.

Back in my day experimentation was the only tutorial I needed. =D

bryanee

Is matchmaking broke on the 360 version? I still cant get into a game with more than two other people online, its driving me crazy. Anyone else having problems with the online mode?

luffeN

Does it lag for anyone on the PC? I get constant 60 fps, but sometimes it feels as if it is lagging (single player), pretty strange. And as for the drifting, probably already said, but you don't need to hold the drift button all the time while drifting. Hold it long enough to start drifting and then control with throttle, brake and steering.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fantastic PC experience thus far. Loaded it up and the game required absolutely no tweaking. It runs like butter right out of the gate with super fast loading times and a perfect framerate at all times. Well done, Bugbear.

Game is really cool too and surprisingly stylish. It's definitely not Ridge Racer but that doesn't mean it isn't an amazing arcade racer. I think I'm really going to enjoy it.

I did it, GAF! I have obtained the one and only PS3 copy of the game on the entire planet! I look forward to many online races, where I shall always come in first place!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does it lag for anyone on the PC? I get constant 60 fps, but sometimes it feels as if it is lagging (single player), pretty strange. And as for the drifting, probably already said, but you don't need to hold the drift button all the time while drifting. Hold it long enough to start drifting and then control with throttle, brake and steering.

ATi Hardware? Try playing in windowed mode, It should fix it. It's probably that full screen funky thing that ATi stuff randomly does in games.

luffeN

ATi Hardware? Try playing in windowed mode, It should fix it. It's probably that full screen funky thing that ATi stuff randomly does in games.
Yeah, Radeon 6950 :/ Okey thanks, will try!

The game was difficult initially but now, except for the frag events, getting 3 stars is not that tough. Maybe in the later districts? Dominated 2 of 9 so far.

Fantastic PC experience thus far. Loaded it up and the game required absolutely no tweaking. It runs like butter right out of the gate with super fast loading times and a perfect framerate at all times. Well done, Bugbear.

Game is really cool too and surprisingly stylish. It's definitely not Ridge Racer but that doesn't mean it isn't an amazing arcade racer. I think I'm really going to enjoy it.

Anybody playing online?

VVV Mars VG

Good god, man! It's Ridge Racer! Stop going round corners so sensibly! Drift, get boost! Your brakes are there for one thing - initiating a drift!

Remember it's Ridge Racer only by name, in actual fact the gameplay is very different from traditional RR's. Cornering is a judgement process, slowing and talking a perfect line often gives much improved exit speeds and greater consistency. It really depends on the corner and how wide the exit is, knowing where you can gain boost.

Good fun so far though, it does remind me a lot of Spilt Second but that's no bad thing for me as I enjoyed that a lot too, just lacking in longevity. Talking of longevity, the track editor looks pretty ace though I'm still unlocking more blocks to create my city.

Talking of which I made aother video today, very close finish in the first race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFMmPRTzVXo

Arucardo

This thread got a nod on Bugbear's twitter, heh.

Man, still can't start the game in online mode. Someone from Bugbear said having special characters in your steam name can cause it, but unfortunately I don't.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

I don't get lag, I get a solid 60fps. I have an ATI 7970. Also, thanks for the tip on the drifting. I'll will try that later.

Arucardo

Solved my issue, all I needed was a modem reboot (probably UPnP issues, tends to not work when it's been on a long time).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Haven't tried jumping online yet, but man, the single player game is so satisfying. Loving it thus far!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Those of you who have the game. Can any of you tell me if steering wheels are supported? Can any of you play with a G25, TH500RS or Fanatec FFB wheel? If so, are there any options to wheel config such as ffb strength etc? How is the ffb? Strong? Weak? How's the steering control?

Jubbly

Haha, had a great 'bug' - landed on top of another car after a jump and was stuck on top until it exploded:

rru_2012_03_31_03_49_fr003.png

Haven't been as frustrated with a game in a long time as I am with this one. Even threw my controller, and I never do that. Wtf is with this game starting off so hard? I've passed one racing event (came in 3rd) and one drifting event and that's it. Game makes me want to punch someone on the face.

Sysgen

DRIFT, get AIR, and obliterate objects for boost. Then use that POWER judiciously. If there's a shortcut coming up to bust open then use on that. Frequently those shortcuts will give you more boost which you can then chain.

A reviewer wrote that the shortcuts are hardly shortcuts. Not the point! They help you gain more boost.

It took me about half an hour to get 1st in the second event. The A.I. isn't a slouch, which is appreciated, but I find the early events are more frustrating than they need to be. I'm still trying to figure out how to powerslide reliably, sometimes I press the button whilst turning and nothing happens, I'm not certain what I'm doing wrong. I have to hammer the button multiple times to trigger the powerslide sometimes.

I find you've got to boost chain early on to get ahead and try to make judicious use of shortcuts, leaving a few for successive laps.

I'm still trying to figure out how to powerslide reliably, sometimes I press the button whilst turning and nothing happens, I'm not certain what I'm doing wrong. I have to hammer the button multiple times to trigger the powerslide sometimes.
I had the same problem. I found slightly hitting the brake (ever so slightly) along with the powerslide button triggered the slide every time.

luffeN

Tried the windowed mode but it got even worse with the "lags". Maybe it has something to do with the Windows 8 AMD drivers.

Isomac

Tried the windowed mode but it got even worse with the "lags". Maybe it has something to do with the Windows 8 AMD drivers.

Don't say Windows 8 is your main OS...

This game is so good. I have had a bit problems with some events but so far it's been quite easy.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Haven't been as frustrated with a game in a long time as I am with this one. Even threw my controller, and I never do that. Wtf is with this game starting off so hard? I've passed one racing event (came in 3rd) and one drifting event and that's it. Game makes me want to punch someone on the face.

Really? I've played a little bit at a friends place and it's probably one of the easiest racing games I've played recently. You can easily get into first place by the end of the first lap and just stay there.

Drifting seems really unreliable as well, There's no real sense of control with it. RR games always had that over the top drift mechanic though and it's somewhat like that.

I haven't picked it up myself since I think $50 is a little rich. I will certainly grab it during a steam sale though. I'm sure online will be dead by then but maybe there could be some good tracks floating around.

luffeN

Don't say Windows 8 is your main OS...
Yes it is :p Haven't thought about games when installing it, but a friend and I always switch as soon as possible to try out new Windows shit ;) So far it runs perfectly. It is Win 7 + Metro and some minor improvements.

RedStep

Really? I've played a little bit at a friends place and it's probably one of the easiest racing games I've played recently. You can easily get into first place by the end of the first lap and just stay there.

You're the most wrong that a person can be. RR:U is hard as nails (until you get faster cars, then it's a little easier). Play another race. Or reset the game and start in the beginning if he already had fast cars unlocked.

See, I found the opposite to be true. In Frag events, I was jamming A over and over. I'd boost and take out a dude, passing the two next to him. What I found to work like a charm was slowing down... literally braking until they all pass me, then using a boost to hit 3 or 4 of them at once, then letting them regroup again. Doing that, I can pass those on the first try.

For anyone experiencing Xbox controller issues in the PC version, make sure you only have one controller plugged in. The game was picking my Logitech G13 up as a controller for some reason and it was causing my controls to fall back to the keyboard. Unplugged it and the game was fine after

bryanee

I'm actually find that the difficulty is starting to level out the better I have got. I'm coming first more often and only having the odd racer where I can my ass handed to me.

Still having the same issue with online multi, no more than three in a race. Did anyone else buy this?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
For anyone experiencing Xbox controller issues in the PC version, make sure you only have one controller plugged in. The game was picking my Logitech G13 up as a controller for some reason and it was causing my controls to fall back to the keyboard. Unplugged it and the game was fine after

That was my issue. I had a Wiimote connected to my PC, took out the bluetooth dongle and I was good to go.

What in god's name is this game :D

I bought it today on a whim and already 3 starred all the events in the first area.
I had to tear myself away from it because my hands got all clamped from the adrenaline.
I mean... holy shit.

luffeN

Anyone having problems with Williams Way? 3 stared everything but I am short 7000 points to unlock the next event.

Edit: Just unlocked. "Forgot" to destroy stuff in the event before it.

Top Bottom