• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Lunar15

I've never actually had to pay a late fee. The last time I had a dvd for about 3 months and they wanted 25k. I said I wouldn't pay it and the clerk said "ehhh...just don't let it happen again." He said that every time I've brought a dvd in late.

I think that's a completely random modifier. They waived my first fee, but then I got charged on the next one, then didn't get charged ont he one after that.

Is it just me or are there huge gaps between when you can actualy save the game? Just started playing.
It's because of the lengthy cutscenes at the start. You can save nearly everywhere, and pretty much every night. Dungeons are a little more spaced out, but not really unfairly so.

It's so much better than other Persona games

Curufinwe

Thanks for the tips guys. It probably is largely due to not opening much up yet. I think the scale of the map in this type of game is just intimidating me a bit. In P4G I scoured every single map each day to make sure I wasn't missing something. The idea of doing that in P5 is daunting.

In P5, available confidants will appear on the map if you press [ ] at their location.

It's because of the lengthy cutscenes at the start. You can save nearly everywhere, and pretty much every night. Dungeons are a little more spaced out, but not really unfairly so.

It's so much better than other Persona games
I once lost like 90 minutes in Tartarus in P3FES...was so pissed. Fuck "once" numerous times.

muteki

Thanks for the tips guys. It probably is largely due to not opening much up yet. I think the scale of the map in this type of game is just intimidating me a bit. In P4G I scoured every single map each day to make sure I wasn't missing something. The idea of doing that in P5 is daunting.

Their are icons on the city map that indicate which confidant is available where, and what their link status is. Familiarize yourself with what activities are best when, but otherwise no scouring necessary.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think I'm at least halfway through Palace 6 now. The
high MP requirement for the fights is making this one harder to 1-day cheese (with SP regen patches) than the previous palace.

Does Haru's voice acting get better? She seems like exactly the kind of character I'd like, except her voice really grates on me. It's especially bad because all the other characters in the team are voiced so well.

I've never actually had to pay a late fee. The last time I had a dvd for about 3 months and they wanted 25k. I said I wouldn't pay it and the clerk said "ehhh...just don't let it happen again." He said that every time I've brought a dvd in late.
That happened to me the first time I had late DVDs. I just didn't borrow anything from there ever again.

Moaradin

high MP requirement for the fights is making this one harder to 1-day cheese (with SP regen patches) than the previous palace.

Does Haru's voice acting get better? She seems like exactly the kind of character I'd like, except her voice really grates on me. It's especially bad because all the other characters in the team are voiced so well.

That happened to me the first time I had late DVDs. I just didn't borrow anything from there ever again.

Nope

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Damn it. :( It's just so jarring to see her talking to other characters. The other team members put out perfectly acted lines and then Haru replies with something like "Ok, I guess SO" or some other totally inappropriate inflection in that ultra squeaky voice.

Damn it. :( It's just so jarring to see her talking to other characters. The other team members put out perfectly acted lines and then Haru replies with something like "Ok, I guess SO" or some other totally inappropriate inflection in that ultra squeaky voice.

I dont really mind it since her Father died and she was also forced to marriage to a guy she doesn't like. Chances are she's just not comfortable as everyone else,
imo

I didnt like it during her introduction, but after that I felt that she settled in well and
dropped the whole beauty thief act.
However if you havent come around yet then you probably won't.

Hey all

Just ordered the game, going to go collect soon.

Have a few questions regarding the DLC.

Are there any important ones I need to buy? I heard there is one with new battle music which really makes the game better?

Thanks all. Can't wait to play, loved P4G and P3P

Hey all

Just ordered the game, going to go collect soon.

Have a few questions regarding the DLC.

Are there any important ones I need to buy? I heard there is one with new battle music which really makes the game better?

Thanks all. Can't wait to play, loved P4G and P3P

The only ones I'd call important are the free costumes, and that's just because they're free. Other than that, just pick up the costumes from games that you like if you want a change of battle music. I went through the entire game without any DLC costumes and never felt the need for them, for example.

Bladenic

She's uneven as all hell but I felt like she sounded better near the end. Maybe it's just getting used to her voice though? It's definitely the most "I need to get used to it" voice in the cast.

Opa-Pa

I think my biggest gripe with Haru's voice is that she doesn't sound natural at all, it's pretty much a forced kawaii uguu female voice you'd expect from a japanese voice over while everyone else sounds like a real person... Even the talking cat.

Curufinwe

The stereotypical squeaky anime dub voice doesn't suit her at all. She sounds less mature than the shut-in who's two years younger than her.

broz0rs

Haru's the only anime-ish voice among the cast. Interestingly enough, I tried out the Japanese audio track and I felt I was playing an anime RPG, whereas I didn't get that impression at all with the English track. It was like night and day.

I think my biggest gripe with Haru's voice is that she doesn't sound natural at all, it's pretty much a forced kawaii uguu female voice you'd expect from a japanese voice over while everyone else sounds like a real person... Even the talking cat.
I was very thankful they didnt try and copy that ear scratching sound for Morgana, but then they did do so with Haru.

Still, Haru's voice is less out there than JP morgana. I've known at least one person whose voice sounded similar in tone to Haru, even if its incredibly uncommon.

Opa-Pa

I hear you, I was pretty worried of how Morgana's english voice would turn out considering his japanese one but Cassandra Lee did a great job and he ended up sounding quite "normal" yet stil charming and somewhat whacky.

I'm in January now. How many more hours are there until the end credits?

Like one and a half at most.

I hear you, I was pretty worried of how Morgana's english voice would turn out considering his japanese one but Cassandra Lee did a great job and he ended up sounding quite "normal" yet stil charming and somewhat whacky.

Like one and a half at most.

About 45 minutes to an hour I guess ? Unless you're seriously lacking Rank 10 links.

Thanks fellas. Damn, I'm going to miss this game despite it taking an eternity to get through.

JBwB

I once lost like 90 minutes in Tartarus in P3FES...was so pissed. Fuck "once" numerous times.

Currently playing through it now for the first time and this just happened to me yesterday.

I really hate how you can only save during the evening or at the entrance to Tartarus... But despite that I'm really loving the game so far.

broz0rs

How loud does this game run on OG PS4? I can't get myself to finish FFXV because it sounds like a fucking rocket is taking off (constantly).

I have the same experience while playing FFXV on my 1st gen PS4, and it's completely silent when running P5

I was able to complete FFXV and iirc cleaning up as much dust as possible on the PS4

In P5, available confidants will appear on the map if you press [ ] at their location.

Their are icons on the city map that indicate which confidant is available where, and what their link status is. Familiarize yourself with what activities are best when, but otherwise no scouring necessary.

Oh awesome, that makes it way less intimidating! Trawling all those streets daily would have been a bit much.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hey, need help making a decision very late in the game (Dec. 24th to be exact).

So I need to figure out which of the 7 girls I've maxed I should hang out with for Christmas & it seems the reward is an item that makes it much easier to level their ranking up. But it seems the farewell gifts you get for NG+ basically gives you all the stuff you'd eventually unlock by maxing their rank up. So should I go with Kawakami to make it so I can level her up faster & gain the massage to go out after dungeon exploring? Or would I unlock it via NG+ because I maxed her out already?

Haru's voice is anime as heck, but her character is anime as heck, so I think it fits.
The whole Beauty Thief thing, the oversized weapons that she awkwardly swings around, the "saccharine sweet on the outside but a coldblooded shadow slaughtering psychopath on the inside" shtick that makes an appearance in the 2/15 event, the fluffy hair, the way she interacts with Morgana, etc.

Her voice is on point.

So I need to figure out which of the 7 girls I've maxed I should hang out with for Christmas & it seems the reward is an item that makes it much easier to level their ranking up. But it seems the farewell gifts you get for NG+ basically gives you all the stuff you'd eventually unlock by maxing their rank up. So should I go with Kawakami to make it so I can level her up faster & gain the massage to go out after dungeon exploring? Or would I unlock it via NG+ because I maxed her out already?

You should
go with Kawakami because she is the best.

Haru is the worst of a great bunch when it comes to the main cast VA. She's fine, just pales in comparison to the others.

Eng Dubs or Original VAs? Original VA was fine IMO? Tone really suited her background/character. I honestly thought all the Original VAs were really good tbh, Morgana specially is a standout to his snarks and "yosh's".

alt27

Really enjoying the game, just got to 7th palace. Really need to read up on personas though, I have no idea what is strong or not. I just rely on the twins saying "thats a strong one" during the fusion process, which im sure means very little.

My only gripe so far was Power Intuition. Power intuition can go fuck it self.

Really enjoying the game, just got to 7th palace. Really need to read up on personas though, I have no idea what is strong or not. I just rely on the twins saying "thats a strong one" during the fusion process, which im sure means very little.

My only gripe so far was Power Intuition. Power intuition can go fuck it self.

They actually say that based on your confidant level (which in turn gives you more exp on fusion.)

There are no "bad" personas, it's just a matter of getting the right mix of stats, resistances and skills on your fusions.

Bladenic

They actually say that based on your confidant level (which in turn gives you more exp on fusion.)

There are no "bad" personas, it's just a matter of getting the right mix of stats, resistances and skills on your fusions.

There definitely are plenty of shitty personas. In fact I'd say there are more shitty ones than good ones by far.

But you should be playing the game by always having a decent stock of personas on hand, fusing a lot, etc. A shitty persona might still have a crucial resistance or null or a great buff, etc.

Palace 6's ost is pretty amazing and then how it goes to the calling card ost
with lyrics this time.
Simply amazing. I dont believe there's anything else to do as I maxed both
Sun and Kawakami before the deadline
as per the suggestions in this thread. Thanks :D

On to
steal Sae's heart then

theecakee

Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but some guy is making a SMS messaging app to look like the Persona 5 in game one that ShrineFox talked about at the end of his video.

Link to their Twitter

C_5TaXUXkAE0aCX.jpg

A short video demo.

There definitely are plenty of shitty personas. In fact I'd say there are more shitty ones than good ones by far.

But you should be playing the game by always having a decent stock of personas on hand, fusing a lot, etc. A shitty persona might still have a crucial resistance or null or a great buff, etc.

That's kind of a fuzzy point when the game gives you so many options to mold your personas at every stage of the game. What you might consider a shit persona might have carried someone else through a palace if they got the right mix of skills from fusion/gallows/cards.

Kawakami is the best pick by my calculations yeah assuming you maxed everyone. She's got a bunch of useful skills not unlocked by the final day gift, takes a fair while to rank up, is before Fortune access and has deadlines due to the need for normal school days at various points in her link. Though do note you get massage access from her Rank 10 / Final Day gift.

After that it's Ann and Makoto. Then probably Tae.

Then its a bit of a mess, you either get full useful access from their Rank 10 / Final Day gifts or they unlock after you've got Fortune access (so you can use affinity readings to avoid hangouts) or they are Haru who you pretty much don't need to hang out with anyway due to her being so easy to rank up. You should probably count the number of times you have to hang out before Fortune unlocks and pick the one with the most (to maximize time saved).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Kawakami is the best pick by my calculations yeah assuming you maxed everyone. She's got a bunch of useful skills not unlocked by the final day gift, takes a fair while to rank up, is before Fortune access and has deadlines due to the need for normal school days at various points in her link. Though do note you get massage access from her Rank 10 / Final Day gift.

After that it's Ann and Makoto. Then probably Tae.

Then its a bit of a mess, you either get full useful access from their Rank 10 / Final Day gifts or they unlock after you've got Fortune access (so you can use affinity readings to avoid hangouts) or they are Haru who you pretty much don't need to hang out with anyway due to her being so easy to rank up. You should probably count the number of times you have to hang out before Fortune unlocks and pick the one with the most (to maximize time saved).
Thank you, I went with what you said since I want to do some cleaning up during my NG+ play through (get a few social stats maxed out since 3 of them are lv. 4, play all games, read all books (I think I had ONE left, the
speed reader
one), max all confidants as I only had 10 of the optional ones maxed, need the lv. 10 & 50 jewel enemies, all infiltration items made (mainly the eternal lockpick, i just never had time to make it), & finishing up the compendium) & I want to make it as easy as it was when I did P4 Golden (to which I got the final social linked maxed out on the final day).

I would imagine maxing all the confidants will be easier in NG+ due to my social stats carrying over (no having to start late on Iwai, damn it) & having certain items/abilities that'll carry over, especially compared to P4 Golden. Not to mention it seems as though I had a lot more free time to do the social links, even if it seemed like half the time I was suggested we'd not do that today.

Having put a little over 100 hours into my first playthrough (I'm pretty sure I'm right near the ending as
I'm saying bye to everyone & getting a bunch of "parting gifts" that'll help me in my NG+
), I think my final thoughts can be summed up as this: Gameplay wise, it's a step in all the right directions. Characters, I feel like I liked the P4 main cast better, but maybe the social links from P5 a bit better, though I might need a refresher of all the P4 ones again. Story, I liked the mystery in P4 more & I think overall, perhaps prefer it over P5, but still liked the core concept.

I think if they took the gameplay from P5, made some minor tweaks, & made a cast as enjoyable as P4, P6 could be absolutely amazing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not sure if it has already been mentioned, but some guy is making a SMS messaging app to look like the Persona 5 in game one that ShrineFox talked about at the end of his video.

Link to their Twitter

A short video demo.
omg, I need to keep an eye on this. I already changed my SMS background to the one in the game, I could freakin' love to have this on my phone.

Also, can I just express a legit "holy crap, this caught me by surprise" moment that I had near the end of the game?
The reason why Igor's voice was different was amazing, & when I heard the "real" voice, I completely understood why I felt the "first" voice seemed off.

Finished at 111:29 hours.

Pretty happy to max all confidents and stats in one session without a guide, totally forgot about the books in the library though and also crafting all the stuff.

Fantastic game, ending thoughts.

I easily thought Akechi was the best thing about the game. Reminded me so much as Light from Death Note, that scene when I got shot I legit thought that was a bad ending and was waiting to restart it lol. Thought the game got too easy once I bought the SP regen and could fuse higher level personas. Against the final boss I had Ryuji charging, attacking boosting and megatoning, Haru on magic and shooting, Makoto on healing and defence boosting, and myself debilitating, charging and God's Hand. Finished level 72.

I think they should just straight up avoid the romance, only chose Ann and geeze it was rubbish, new game plus i will go full harem. The whole storyline after the Shido confession was pretty stupid imo. So they end up changing the cognition of the public who wanted to remain enslaved but cannot tell if they succeeded then after the final battle the opinion poll is 50% as to whether the Phantom Thieves exist.

just did the second last dungeoun and then the story dump. wow. i predicted it, but the way it was presented was fantastic.

this is probably my fav persona game.

5>2>3=4

Top Bottom