• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIS

I see one of two things happening: Either Microsoft or Sony(more likely Sony) back out of next gen altogether. 360 or Ps3 keep going another few years, then thats it. No next gen. Sony has lost money on the Ps3 since 2006, never earned any proit until just recently. Doesnt at all sound like theyre ready for next gen.
OR, Microsoft and Sony release cheap almost identical consoles to what they have now, with some Wii U -like minor upgrades. People who think next gen from then will be comparable leap again I think are deluded. I think that happening is literally impossible, at least for the next few years. So yes, I would agree with you.

Sony is making profit out of the PS3 now? That's very good news actually, but wait is it making profit as in offsetting the losses overall or just made profit for a specific year?

Speaking theoretically here of course, just for shits and giggles, if Nintendo had have had a regular controller, and put that cash into the machine. Would we be looking at something significantly better?

The only really figure I've heard thrown around (With no real basis, and excluding Pachter's original US$25) is about US$50 to make the thing. Minus a few bucks for a regular controller and lets be generous and say $40 more to add to the core tech.

What might that give us? Anything closer to MS and/or Sony? I imagine not.

Well, in terms of retail graphics card prices, $50 is about the difference between a 1GB Radeon 7750 and 1GB 6870 - the 6870 is a very nice step up from the 7750. And Nintendo of course would pay a lot less than retail for their parts. And if that were $90? Well that bumps up your 1GB 7750 to a 2GB 7850, which doubles the framerate in many games.

So yes, if Nintendo took all the money going into the Gamepad and applied it to improving their hardware, it would make for a nice improvement indeed. But then it would be a pure war against specs, which is about as red-ocean as you can get. It would make the console an HD Wii and nothing more.

DjRoomba

Banned
Sony is making profit out of the PS3 now? That's very good news actually, but wait is it making profit as in offsetting the losses overall or just made profit for a specific year?

Profit in offsetting losses, specifically on the Ps3. However, In terms of the company as a whole on their balance sheet theyre at record losses.

AzaK

Well, in terms of retail graphics card prices, $50 is about the difference between a 1GB Radeon 7750 and 1GB 6870 - the 6870 is a very nice step up from the 7750. And Nintendo of course would pay a lot less than retail for their parts. And if that were $90? Well that bumps up your 1GB 7750 to a 2GB 7850, which doubles the framerate in many games.

So yes, if Nintendo took all the money going into the Gamepad and applied it to improving their hardware, it would make for a nice improvement indeed. But then it would be a pure war against specs, which is about as red-ocean as you can get. It would make the console an HD Wii and nothing more.

But an HD Wii with awesome graphics and Nintendo games ;). I wouldn't in a zillion years want them to forgo the GamePad, I was just curious.

One thing I haven't seen revisited since E3, was when John Harker popped in after a GDC behind the scenes sneak-peek and said "Wow!" to what he'd seen of the Wii U. What happened to the wow and John, is there still some wow anywhere? :)

ASIS

Profit in offsetting losses, specifically on the Ps3. However, In terms of the company as a whole on their balance sheet theyre at record losses.

If that really is the case then both Sony and MS can go into next gen without much problems. They have both the userbase and profit to sustain them. A 2013 release from both of them seems logical.

USC-fan

Banned
And he put true in quotes.

I'm seeing a trend of not taking posts in their full or proper context. ;)
I just dont have your secret decoder ring. So I take the post at face value

Not really,.....

This coming from a favorite gaf insider. Iherre. Op was in spanish.

The "target" specs I've seen ps4 (the pc's that are the first kits so to speak) are about 10x ps3 in terms of raw power cpu and gpu ... And this is always less powerful than the hardware end with the final models. And Xbox is even more beast NeXT * so I have commented. So as I say surprise in that regard when all predict "little jump" technology.

Now I don't have b decoder ring he can help us out. ;)

I still believe these are the specs of the system. then your setting yourself up for disappointment.

This could well be true in theory (hypothetical downward scalability of PS4/Durango engines) while not being true in practice (actual support from third parties).

ASIS

This coming from a favorite gaf insider. Iherre. Op was in spanish.

Now I don't have b decoder ring he can help us out. ;)

Yup, according to Iherre, the difference could be bigger than dreamcast Vs Xbox. I remember him saying something like that before.

These videos of the exact games I posted screenshots for look great. Heck, Motorstorm looks a hell of a lot better in video form because of all the motion blur that you say launch games didn't have. I couldn't find a video of Madden 07 on PS3 that wasn't a video of a TV or a review (or trailer, I was trying to stay away from official trailers that rarely show gameplay as it truly is). The only issue I have with any of these games in motion is how Genji went overboard with the full-screen AA.

Resistance Fall of Man
Call of Duty 3
Genji: Days of the Blade
Motorstorm

These games look a lot worse in motion, thank you for confirming earlier predictions

If one were to construct a console with the current rumors of Durango or Orbis what would you put a very rough BoM at...?

Including accessories the max I would guess is $550. I think it will be under that though as I'm trying to think from a "how much of a loss would they take on a console retailing for $399". I see them taking a loss that's more like $100-$130. They seemed to have targeted a base architecture that will have plenty of time to come down in cost by the time PS4 releases.

Speaking theoretically here of course, just for shits and giggles, if Nintendo had have had a regular controller, and put that cash into the machine. Would we be looking at something significantly better?

The only really figure I've heard thrown around (With no real basis, and excluding Pachter's original US$25) is about US$50 to make the thing. Minus a few bucks for a regular controller and lets be generous and say $40 more to add to the core tech.

What might that give us? Anything closer to MS and/or Sony? I imagine not.

Yeah $50 is something we've been looking at since the first thread. Since I can only go buy my estimated power range and estimated controller cost, it would depend on where the money was spent. $40-$50 extra for Nintendo hardware wouldn't be the same as it would be for the others due to Nintendo's philosophy IMO. In other words it would go much further in Wii U than it would for the other two IMO. So it we were working from the max end of my Wii U power range, I think that extra would at least put it within the raw power range of the other two. Other than that, no.

Ignoring the quotes devalues it. :p

Yup, according to Iherre, the difference could be bigger than dreamcast Vs Xbox. I remember him saying something like that before.

Haha. Just to help people out his name is LHERRE.

StevieP

Banned
I know the Dreamcast was only a little bit weaker than the PS2, they're are some ways though that the Dreamcast had the advantage over the PS2.
I doubt you're going to find any areas where the wii u has an advantage over the ps4 but these dreamcast comparisons are pretty out there.

Take a pc game on low and compare it to a pc game on high. Simplified as hell but it works better than asinine multipliers and comparisons between systems from 2 generations ago.

I doubt you're going to find any areas where the wii u has an advantage over the ps4 but these dreamcast comparisons are pretty out there.

Take a pc game on low and compare it to a pc game on high. Simplified as hell but it works better than asinine multipliers and comparisons between systems from 2 generations ago.
Are talking about the difference in visuals or the actual specs between the systems? The issue with that comparison is that the dreamcast ended up faring better against the ps2 (early years) in visuals compared to their specs due to several factors.

In any build (whether it's a console or a car or anything else) you can only have 2/3
I suppose it depends on one's definition of any of the three as well; it's all relative I guess.
Including accessories the max I would guess is $550. I think it will be under that though as I'm trying to think from a "how much of a loss would they take on a console retailing for $399". I see them taking a loss that's more like $100-$130. They seemed to have targeted a base architecture that will have plenty of time to come down in cost by the time PS4 releases.
Am I reading this correctly in that you think the loss per unit will be lower than your estimate range, by the time the product is release ready - or is it your opinion that at launch they'll be taking ~$100-130 loss per unit.

That still seems too much for me, from a business model standpoint.

A loss lead should be recouped by associated purchases - i.e. software platform royalties, both physical and digital, positive margins on accessories.

-----

Assuming they expect to sell an average of ~8 physical retail games per unit over the lifetime - that'd amount to about ~$50-60 in royalties. Not sure what they'd make on an extra controller and XBLA/PSN sales; but for the sake of argument let's say together that amounts to about $30.

Assuming a slim retailer margin on launch HW, let's say 5% - wholesaling for $380 - they'd want to target a cost per unit all-up of ~$460, for a loss of ~$80. Actually lower due to other production and distribution costs.

-----

So does ~$450 worth of tech buy you Durango or Orbis?

Probably not?

Did dreamcast have only 1/3-1/4 the power of the ps2?
Do these comparisons really matter?

The 128 bit generation was pretty much out there when it came to hardware parity of features, it was pretty much a matter of pros and cons of each architecture really, although GC and Xbox were in a class of their own. PS2 was an alien system with the vector units and a really atypical GPU that didn't support on-silicon acceleration of certain effects and techniques like DC did.

DC had a GPU with some performance advantages over PS2's custom GPU, namely the fact it could render in tile-based form (meaning only the visible pixels in the frame were textured saving calculations and texture-bandwidth) and it had texture compression which PS2 lacked so textures for games like Shenmue are actually really good for the time, unlike most texture work you'll see on the PS2 which by comparison was plagued by low res and low color depth on it's textures. I mean most of it's games stuck to 16 color textures, at most. (GTA's being really good if you want to be able to count the exact amount of colors per texture because they were so clearly unoptimized)

DC was a texturing beast, meaning texturing (also because of the tile-rendering) for a whole scene would take little hit compared to PS2, that was it's advantage.

The disadvantage? Well, it's specs claimed 3 million polygons real time; because of the low hit texturing had they were able to pull as much as 4.5/5 million polygons per second in Test Drive Le Mans; PS2 on it's turn did manage to pull the 10 million polygon mark on some games (Jak and Daxter, Virtua Fighter 4) which was the max polygon throughput in real-world really. If we're talking at straight Raw figures then DC was roughly 1/4 of the PS2 in total Gigaflops, but it was really efficient with it, so it closed the difference a little bit to 1/2, as polygon throughput figures put it, and it actually humiliated PS2 on texturing. Because of that, PS2 spent most of it's life pushing far more polygons than the DC could muster and ridiculously bad textures to go with it.

OryoN

One thing I haven't seen revisited since E3, was when John Harker popped in after a GDC behind the scenes sneak-peek and said "Wow!" to what he'd seen of the Wii U. What happened to the wow and John, is there still some wow anywhere? :)

I've been wondering about that myself. I don't know what that was about, never heard of any similar reports, and no one(including Harker himself) ever mentioned it since. I hope he wasn't simply teasing for the sake of it. That'd be cruel. After his "the sticks are clickable" revelation, I got the impression that he prefers the hit-n-run style info sharing, throwing a bone every once in a while, and probably wouldn't pull a prank like that.

But if he did... *dangles noose*

LOL, funny how everyone let that one slide, but were ready to hang Ideaman on several occasions. Nothing against anyone...just saying.

Am I reading this correctly in that you think the loss per unit will be lower than your estimate range, by the time the product is release ready - or is it your opinion that at launch they'll be taking ~$100-130 loss per unit.

That still seems too much for me, from a business model standpoint.

A loss lead should be recouped by associated purchases - i.e. software platform royalties, both physical and digital, positive margins on accessories.

-----

Assuming they expect to sell an average of ~8 physical retail games per unit over the lifetime - that'd amount to about ~$50-60 in royalties. Not sure what they'd make on an extra controller and XBLA/PSN sales; but for the sake of argument let's say together that amounts to about $30.

Assuming a slim retailer margin on launch HW, let's say 5% - wholesaling for $380 - they'd want to target a cost per unit all-up of ~$460, for a loss of ~$80. Actually lower due to other production and distribution costs.

-----

So does ~$450 worth of buy you Durango or Orbis?

Probably not?

The latter is correct. I believe it will be less than my max of $150 by the time it launches and in that range of $100-$130. I'm also factoring in that the hardware cost should scale down much, much better than PS3. I could see them at breakeven or even making a slight profit at a $399 price point before they consider a price drop. Ignoring the possibility of low sales forcing a need to consider a drop sooner. By then software is "pure profit". I put that in quotes because of the need to cover any necessary operating expenses.

Dalthien

The latter is correct. I believe it will be less than my max of $150 by the time it launches and in that range of $100-$130. I'm also factoring in that the hardware cost should scale down much, much better than PS3. I could see them at breakeven or even making a slight profit at a $399 price point before they consider a price drop. Ignoring the possibility of low sales forcing a need to consider a drop sooner. By then software is "pure profit". I put that in quotes because of the need to cover any necessary operating expenses.

I'm not saying that they won't go down that route, but that would be a pretty horrible business strategy for Sony. The games division was highlighted recently to be one of Sony's primary expected profit centers in the short-term, with a BIG expected jump in profit margins for the division.

Selling the PS4 at a loss of $100 out of the gate (which results in a loss per system, even after accounting for software sales years down the road), and then as you suggest - once the hardware finally gets back to break-even at $399 after a year or two, they drop the price and go right back into loss-leading mode again. So the PS4 is now looking like a drag on the gaming division for what, 3+ years? With Vita being the fallback option?

Ugh. Doesn't seem remotely feasible in terms of matching their expected profit margin surge in gaming in the coming years.

Banned
Wow what a Canada day today! Especially in Toronto! Rib fest, gay pride parade, euro cup final, fireworks, special events. Awesome day.

So.....what'd I miss? Is Nintendo still doomed? Are they third party yet?

I'm not saying that they won't go down that route, but that would be a pretty horrible business strategy for Sony. The games division was highlighted recently to be one of Sony's primary expected profit centers in the short-term, with a BIG expected jump in profit margins for the division.

Selling the PS4 at a loss of $100 out of the gate (which results in a loss per system, even after accounting for software sales years down the road), and then as you suggest - once the hardware finally gets back to break-even at $399 after a year or two, they drop the price and go right back into loss-leading mode again. So the PS4 is now looking like a drag on the gaming division for what, 3+ years? With Vita being the fallback option?

Ugh. Doesn't seem remotely feasible in terms of matching their expected profit margin surge in gaming in the coming years.

Who said they would drop the price at that point though? All I said was it would hit that point before they would consider a price drop. And because they seem to be already planning on the console lasting at least seven years before a successor is released.

But if the hardware costs do scale well, they could turn an operating profit after the first year. And that's just from software sales.

The same things as always. Yes. Soon.

Banned
I just really, really hope that Nintendo sees E3 as some kind of mainstream thing and that they save their real bombs for around launch
God I hope so too. I hope that September conference drops bombs like never before. It sold certainly solve my apathy problem towards the Wii U since E3.

snesfreak
Banned
(Today, 06:28 PM)

zqE0h.jpg
NOOOOOOOOOO! Not another one!

HylianTom

Banned
Wow what a Canada day today! Especially in Toronto! Rib fest, gay pride parade, euro cup final, fireworks, special events. Awesome day.

Nintendo will stop making games when they stop making hardware. I think they'll keep their word on this. But that's a long time away, hopefully. And the landscape may remarkably improve for them in one way or another. This industry is unpredictable and fascinating. :)

And snes.. damn. What was the offending post? One by one, the Nintendo fanmen around here are going kaput. Juniors, you have large, large shoes to fill. Many fallen friends..

StevieP

Banned

Welcome fellow Toronto gaffer. Our city was loaded today. Feel free to visit the official toronto thread in the OT community!

Anyone figure out what sneafreak did?

Dalthien

Who said they would drop the price at that point though?

Monthly unit sales?

Under your scenario, they basically have to hope for a slow start to sales. Strong hardware sales out of the gate means BIG losses in the first year, which takes a big giant shit all over their profit margin forecasts for the gaming division in the coming years.

And if they have a tepid start to hardware sales with a $100-$130 loss per unit out of the gate, then why are hardware sales suddenly going to spike a year or two out if they haven't dropped the price and people weren't all that interested when it launched at $399? It may happen, but I certainly wouldn't want to be banking my entire 8-year plan on that happening.

Taking a big loss (and $100+ loss per unit is a big loss) upfront is just a bad strategy for a division that is supposed to be seeing short-term growth in profit margins. It can work out to be a decent long-term strategy if you don't mind taking the hit in the short-term, but everything Sony has been saying in their financial statements suggests that they want the gaming division to show profitability growth in the short-term.

Again - I'm not even saying that they won't go this route. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did. But that's only because Sony has made so many other horrible business decisions in the recent past.

Banned
Nintendo will stop making games when they stop making hardware. I think they'll keep their word on this. But that's a long time away, hopefully. And the landscape may remarkably improve for them in one way or another. This industry is unpredictable and fascinating. :)

And snes.. damn. What was the offending post? One by one, the Nintendo fanmen around here are going kaput. Juniors, you have large, large shoes to fill. Many fallen friends..
Haha I know. I'm just joking. I was being sarcastic. I just find it funny how people cn say Nintendo is doomed and shit when they are the only one if the 3 who's gaming division doesn't bleed billions.

Welcome fellow Toronto gaffer. Our city was loaded today. Feel free to visit the official toronto thread in the OT community!

Anyone figure out what sneafreak did?
I should give that thread a look then!
The same things as always. Yes. Soon.
btw snesfreak told me what happened on twitter. I could update for you guys.

I don't dispute that what you're saying may be the case, but it really doesn't seem a recipe for profitability as the other poster points out, which they seem to be aiming for apparently.

Sony should be targeting a cost per unit of no more than ~$450 really, while Microsoft with the buffer of Live fees can probably go for a BoM of ~$500.

So the question becomes what can $450-500 buy you; what kind of silicon budget does that give you when things like HDD/SSD, BD drive, controller etc. are taken out.

-----

Query for anyone: Based on the rumored specs, what would be the expected BoM/COGS on a Wii U?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Nintendo usually decide to take a loss on hardware and make it up with software?
No, Nintendo traditionally don't loss lead, as far as I'm aware. They apparently did for a brief while with the GCN.

Banned
I don't dispute that what you're saying may be the case, but it really doesn't seem a recipe for profitability as the other poster points out, which they seem to be aiming for apparently.

Sony should be targeting a cost per unit of no more than ~$450 really, while Microsoft with the buffer of Live fees can probably go for a BoM of ~$500.

So the question becomes what can $450-500 buy you; what kind of silicon budget does that give you when things like HDD/SSD, BD drive, controller etc. are taken out.

-----

Query for anyone: Based on the rumored specs, what would be the expected BoM/COGS on a Wii U?
I think the Wii U console itself probably costs about $180 in parts. Factor in labour, assembly, packaging, pAinting, shipping, etc and that's about $200 total.

The GamePad probably costs $40-50 in parts and assembly, etc. So $200 for console + $50 for GamePad = $250. I think in all the Each Wii U unit will cost Nintendo about $250 to make. And since they want profit at day 1 they will sell at $300 (I was hoping for $350 for more powerful tech). All of this is speculation though.

Monthly unit sales?

Under your scenario, they basically have to hope for a slow start to sales. Strong hardware sales out of the gate means BIG losses in the first year, which takes a big giant shit all over their profit margin forecasts for the gaming division in the coming years.

And if they have a tepid start to hardware sales with a $100-$130 loss per unit out of the gate, then why are hardware sales suddenly going to spike a year or two out if they haven't dropped the price and people weren't all that interested when it launched at $399? It may happen, but I certainly wouldn't want to be banking my entire 8-year plan on that happening.

Taking a big loss (and $100+ loss per unit is a big loss) upfront is just a bad strategy for a division that is supposed to be seeing short-term growth in profit margins. It can work out to be a decent long-term strategy if you don't mind taking the hit in the short-term, but everything Sony has been saying in their financial statements suggests that they want the gaming division to show profitability growth in the short-term.

Again - I'm not even saying that they won't go this route. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did. But that's only because Sony has made so many other horrible business decisions in the recent past.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Nintendo usually decide to take a loss on hardware and make it up with software? I think they will continue to go that route after trying to make a profit on the 3DS. It isn't a great strategy your right, but neither is pricing high and acquiring abysmal sales. Though you could be right considering investors want to see Nintendo make a profit and soon. It will be interesting to see their strategy in the coming months.

StevieP

Banned
I think the Wii U console itself probably costs about $180 in parts. Factor in labour, assembly, packaging, pAinting, shipping, etc and that's about $200 total.

The GamePad probably costs $40-50 in parts and assembly, etc. So $200 for console + $50 for GamePad = $250. I think in all the Each Wii U unit will cost Nintendo about $250 to make. And since they want profit at day 1 they will sell at $300 (I was hoping for $350 for more powerful tech). All of this is speculation though.

It's not just the BOM of the parts and shipping. Retailers take a margin as well. To put console margins into perspective, the wii (according to Forbes) was making Nintendo $6/unit at launch.

What did snesfreak do? Give him our regards lol

Trevelyan

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Nintendo usually decide to take a loss on hardware and make it up with software? I think they will continue to go that route after trying to make a profit on the 3DS. It isn't a great strategy your right, but neither is pricing high and acquiring abysmal sales. Though you could be right considering investors want to see Nintendo make a profit and soon. It will be interesting to see their strategy in the coming months.

Actually, the 3DS is the first system in Nintendo's history they've taken a loss on after the price cut. They always make money off their hardware day 1.

Meelow

Banned
Question, who is still disappointed by Nintendo's E3?, I think everyone over reacted (including me) about they're conference, I still am madd about Nintendo's E3 but I am getting over it, I just hope Nintendo's Fall Conference gives us the E3 we wanted.

Banned
It's not just the BOM of the parts and shipping. Retailers take a margin as well. To put console margins into perspective, the wii (according to Forbes) was making Nintendo $6/unit at launch.

What did snesfreak do? Give him our regards lol
Something to do with IRC. Got into a heated debate. Things happened.

Also, I meant to say manufactured cost will be around $250 but after retail markup the Wii U will be around $300 and Nintendo will make maybe $5 profit on each unit sold.
Nintendo has never sold hardware at a loss until the August 2011 price cut of the 3DS. Even the GameCube, a console with only 21 million units sold globally, made Nintendo's profit margins rise. It sold 3 million less than the Xbox but was profitable from day 1 unlike the Xbox (which was never profitable in its 4 year life span).
Actually, the 3DS is the first system in Nintendo's history they've taken a loss on after the price cut. They always make money off their hardware day 1.
Exactly.

My mistake, thanks for the correction. Well if that is the case then lets hope Nintendo found the right price balance for the Wii U. I believe that NintendoLand will be a pack-in game. It seems like it has to because the 360 and PS3 have pack-in games (sometimes more than one) for $300. Not everyone will buy NintendoLand if it isn't a pack-in, and Nintendo needs to have that game, as they say, that "shows off the Wii U features."

Yagharek

Question, who is still disappointed by Nintendo's E3?, I think everyone over reacted (including me) about they're conference, I still am madd about Nintendo's E3 but I am getting over it, I just hope Nintendo's Fall Conference gives us the E3 we wanted.

I was never disappointed by it. I knew it was a bad conference for the gaf audience, but it had enough good games for me to get day 1. Pikmin/ZombiU/NSMB/P-100 and even Nintendoland will do nicely, thankyouverymuch. Trine 2 was a good surprise and batman is batman which may be worth a double dip at the right price.

I didnt expect the world from the conference. No Retro basically suggests to me that they are making the game that will be going up alongside the PS4/720 launch or reveals. Same with the mario galaxy team.

If you operate under the assumption that nintendo never announces games long way out from release, your expectations are kept in check.

I do understand why others were disappointed though, but I dont share their sentiment.

If Sony really needs profitability in short term following PS4 launch, they may require subscription fee a la Xbox Live. If they continue to ignore Nintendo as a direct competitor (and having recently attended a speaker series session featuring Jack Tretton, that is absolutely the case as he didn't reference them a single time while talking about Microsoft at least five times) then they could see that requirement as being on parity without worrying about nintendos online stance (free).

They could also be pushing for an upfront + monthly fee like MS is testing out with their online service included.

HylianTom

Banned

I'm still disappointed, but it hasn't deterred me one bit in my desire to grab one of these consoles on Launch Day. Oddly enough, details of the games on the show floor after the conference reinforced my resolve.

While Nintendo's PR and media relations may leave something to be desired at times, so long as they bring the games, I can easily get over that issue. :)

The PS3 is the only case where they took a $100+ loss on each unit at launch (and we all know what that did for their financials). And if bgassassin is correct, then the PS4 will soon join the PS3 in that special club.
In.credible.
Should be very interesting to see if such a gamble pays-off..

Dalthien

Nintendo historically tries to sell new hardware at break-even or at a profit. IIRC, they sold Gamecube at a very small loss at launch, but we're talking a few bucks, and that was offset within a few months. They also sold Gamecube at a small loss again when they dropped the price to $99, but again only a few bucks per unit. The 3DS is the only other example that I can recall where they sold a system at a loss, but that was due to the price drop which was needed due to slower than expected unit sales. (which is the exact same scenario I see happening if Sony tries to keep PS4 at $399 for an extended period of time).

Even in Sony's case - they historically sell their systems for a loss at launch - but usually only a moderate loss. The PS3 is the only case where they took a $100+ loss on each unit at launch (and we all know what that did for their financials). And if bgassassin is correct, then the PS4 will soon join the PS3 in that special club.

Nintendo historically tries to sell new hardware at break-even or at a profit. IIRC, they sold Gamecube at a very small loss at launch, but we're talking a few bucks, and that was offset within a few months. They also Gamecube at a small loss again when they dropped the price to $99, but again only a few bucks per unit. The 3DS is the only example that I can recall where they sold a system at a loss, but that was due to the price drop which was needed due to slower than expected unit sales. (which is the exact same scenario I see happening if Sony tries to keep PS4 at $399 for an extended period of time).

Even in Sony's case - they historically sell their systems for a loss at launch - but usually only a moderate loss. The PS3 is the only case where they took a $100+ loss on each unit at launch (and we all know what that did for their financials). And if bgassassin is correct, then the PS4 will soon join the PS3 in that special club.

I don't know why I thought Nintendo sold at a loss for hardware, must be all the doom and gloom of companies fogging up my memory. As for Sony, they better not hope that the PS4 will be another PS3, because honestly, they can't allow it, not with their financial losses. I realize their gaming division wasn't the primary (or even a cause) for their financial situation currently, but it doesn't help matters when they are, as you said, selling at a $100+ loss for each PS4. Sony needs to, I believe, aim for a $400-450 price point, maybe max $500. Sony can't allow themselves to get drunk on power again, even if that is what they are well-known for.

I've seen that Forbes citation...

But then I recall reading on here that there was an EDGE article in which Nintendo originally wanted to sell the Wii for $200 - but yielded to US retailers. And if that were true then that would imply Nintendo originally intended to sell for a significant loss.

That and a $6 launch margin doesn't seem to fit well with their third quarter earnings results for the launch period of the Wii. Net sales were roughly ¥415B; cost of sales around ¥250B, for gross margins of ~40% on their sales. Although I guess low HW launch margins may be hidden among older platforms and software revenue.

Teardown analyses at the time put the BoM at ~$160. Perhaps they gave retailers a ridiculously good margin for console hardware.

Dalthien

I've seen that Forbes citation...

But then I recall reading on here that there was an EDGE article in which Nintendo originally wanted to sell the Wii for $200 - but yielded to US retailers. And if that were true then that would imply Nintendo originally intended to sell for a significant loss.

That and a $6 launch margin doesn't seem to fit well with their third quarter earnings results for the launch period of the Wii. Net sales were roughly ¥415B; cost of sales around ¥250B, for gross margins of ~40% on their sales. Although I guess low HW launch margins may be hidden among older platforms and software revenue.

Teardown analyses at the time put the BoM at ~$160. Perhaps they gave retailers a ridiculously good margin for console hardware.

The story at the time was that Nintendo was initially planning on selling the Wii for $200 without Wii Sports, but then eventually decided to bump the price to $250 and include Wii Sports. In effect, they basically forced everyone to buy a $50 game with their system.

There's no doubt that Wii was profitable from the start. I suspect the system itself made a small profit at $200, and then the extra $50 from Wii Sports was pure profit (although the game would have sold ridiculously well if it wasn't packed in - so that $50 in Wii profit was coming at the expense of some of their other software revenue that they would have earned).

The story at the time was that Nintendo was initially planning on selling the Wii for $200 without Wii Sports, but then eventually decided to bump the price to $250 and include Wii Sports. In effect, they basically forced everyone to buy a $50 game with their system.

There's no doubt that Wii was profitable from the start. I suspect the system itself made a small profit at $200, and then the extra $50 from Wii Sports was pure profit (although the game would have sold ridiculously well if it wasn't packed in - so that $50 in Wii profit was coming at the expense of some of their other software revenue that they would have earned).

So what does that mean for NintendoLand and Wii U? Should it be a pack-in game, though it possibly would bump the price up by fifty, or should it stay as a separate retail game and keep the hardware price low?

Anth0ny

It's still the worst E3 ever. I didn't even care that 08 was bad because I was playing Brawl and Mario Kart. They earned the right to "sit a year out" imo. Not this time. They fucked up big.

Hopefully the Fall conference is good.

Meelow

Banned
It's still the worst E3 ever. I didn't even care that 08 was bad because I was playing Brawl and Mario Kart. They earned the right to "sit a year out" imo. Not this time. They fucked up big.

Hopefully the Fall conference is good.

I feel that as a whole this E3 was definitely the worst, but Nintendo's 2012 conference wasn't the worst Nintendo conference, Nintendo and Sony clearly have a problem every second E3 when they are showing they're new console/handheld again before or after it releases.

I agree I really hope they're Fall Conference is the E3 we wanted.

BOM is only a tiny part of what the price has to pay for. They also need to pay for marketing (just those E3 booths cost millions of dollars), customer support, system development costs, shipping and storage, and other things. The XBox for example lost Microsoft over a billion dollars, and most of that was advertising (though they also lost money on each system sold). They were buying their way into the gaming industry.

Dalthien

So what does that mean for NintendoLand and Wii U? Should it be a pack-in game, though it possibly would bump the price up by fifty, or should it stay as a separate retail game and keep the hardware price low?

At this point (just going by Youtube videos and such - I haven't played it), it seems like more of a Wii Play type of product than Wii Sports. Wii Play was a $10 game that was used to help sell the controllers.

If NintendoLand is the same type of product, then I could see it being included with the system as a way of helping sell the concept of the U-Pad to new owners. Until they can get the price of the pad down significantly, they don't really have any interest in selling extra pads to people - so NintendoLand doesn't make sense as a Wii-Play type of retail product.

But all the tie-ins to other Nintendo brands (Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion, Zelda, etc.) may encourage them to try to sell it as a standalone retail product. Hard to say at this point.

I'm curious Assassin, lets hypothetically say that the Wii U vastly performs under Nintendo's expectations and is rapidly turning into a GameCube, 3DS scenario. Do you predict that Nintendo would take drastic measures like they did for the 3DS? Whether that is a hardware price drop, early AAA game announcements (most likely saved for E3 or Nintendo Direct later), or Wii Select game/Wiimote bundle or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom