• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Clipper said:
Yes, restoring your NAND will delete all your saves and any VC you have downloaded. You can redownload the VC stuff, though, and can back up your saves (use StartPatch or SaveGame Manager to copy the ones that you can't copy normally). I don't see any real reason for you to do that, though. The memory thing you saw seems unrelated to having homebrew on the Wii.
In fact, having homebrew looks like it's going to save him a lot of hassle.

panda21

i left my wii homebrew stuff un-updated for a while, just wondering should i bother updating bootmii? can you even do that? i think i have version 0.8

its kind of a pain having to have a gc controller plugged in to be able to boot the wii

also, the whole IOS/cIOS thing is still really confusing for me. is there any way to see what you have installed on your wii? i've put a whole bunch of things on there in the past and now i have no idea what is actually on it. i'm kind of surprised there isn't a tool out there to do that.

i have some version of 249 but no idea which, i'm assuming i should update to rev 16? or will that risk breaking some of my installed games that work?

panda21 said:
its kind of a pain having to have a gc controller plugged in to be able to boot the wii
You can use the front buttons on the Wii to navigate the Bootmii menus instead. Only one I remember is reset = confirm so you can switch on the Wii then hit reset to enter the system menu.

Alternatively, you can change the bootmii.ini (or whatever it is called) on the root of the SD card and set the autoboot to system menu (or homebrew channel) and the timeout to 0 seconds (I think you can do 0 seconds).

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Clipper said:
Yes, restoring your NAND will delete all your saves and any VC you have downloaded. You can redownload the VC stuff, though, and can back up your saves (use StartPatch or SaveGame Manager to copy the ones that you can't copy normally). I don't see any real reason for you to do that, though. The memory thing you saw seems unrelated to having homebrew on the Wii.

Thanks. Yeah, in reading around it seems like the memory corruption is just something that happens since official firmware 4.0 and onward. Sometimes it goes away, sometimes it doesn't, resulting in sending off the Wii to Nintendo.

I'll just stick to things as they are now and if it finally gives up the ghost and I have to send it in, hopefully Nintendo won't slap my wrist too hard for having hacked it.

Clipper

panda21 said:
i left my wii homebrew stuff un-updated for a while, just wondering should i bother updating bootmii? can you even do that? i think i have version 0.8

also, the whole IOS/cIOS thing is still really confusing for me. is there any way to see what you have installed on your wii? i've put a whole bunch of things on there in the past and now i have no idea what is actually on it. i'm kind of surprised there isn't a tool out there to do that.

i have some version of 249 but no idea which, i'm assuming i should update to rev 16? or will that risk breaking some of my installed games that work?
Just update everything via the Wiki. The versions it tells you to install are the best, and you will find tricks like how to navigate Bootmii and set autoboot and all that.

There are several tools that tell you what is on your Wii. Title Lister, AnyTitle Deleter and Dop-IOS come to mind. All are available via Wiibrew.org.

As for IOS249, upgrade to rev 15. Rev 16 is broken (primarily due to reintroduction of the dual layer bug).

Has anyone had any luck with GC Imports via Gecko OS? It's been ages since I've tried 1.07b so I updated to 1.93. And both back then and now I seem to have trouble playing my copy of One Piece Grand Battle Rush (JP)

I load it up, intro loads fine, main menu comes up, I can even select options and the Card gallery (basically like an art gallery) but if I do any of the single player modes, the music stops and it hangs after about 5 seconds with the message:

An error has occurred. Turn the power off and refer to the Nintendo Gamecube Instruction Booklet for further instructions.

I've tried all the other options I can think of, but to no avail. Can anyone help me out?

Choppasmith said:
Has anyone had any luck with GC Imports via Gecko OS? It's been ages since I've tried 1.07b so I updated to 1.93. And both back then and now I seem to have trouble playing my copy of One Piece Grand Battle Rush (JP)

I load it up, intro loads fine, main menu comes up, I can even select options and the Card gallery (basically like an art gallery) but if I do any of the single player modes, the music stops and it hangs after about 5 seconds with the message:

An error has occurred. Turn the power off and refer to the Nintendo Gamecube Instruction Booklet for further instructions.

I've tried all the other options I can think of, but to no avail. Can anyone help me out?
A similar thing happens with Naruto GnT 4.

I found the solution was as follows. On title screen eject the disc. Wait for the please insert disc message to come up then insert disc and you'll never be bothered with any read errors.

So give things along that line of logic a try...(you might need to experiment a bit)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
There's a cIOS249 rev 16? When did that hit?
And it once again features the dual layer bug?
How the hell did Wanin manage that one?

Clipper

Mejilan said:
There's a cIOS249 rev 16? When did that hit?
And it once again features the dual layer bug?
How the hell did Wanin manage that one?
It's a few weeks old now. I didn't bother mentioning it here because of the dual layer thing. There are some other additions, but they only aid pirates, so there is absolutely no reason to use it.

Starwolf_UK said:
A similar thing happens with Naruto GnT 4.

I found the solution was as follows. On title screen eject the disc. Wait for the please insert disc message to come up then insert disc and you'll never be bothered with any read errors.

So give things along that line of logic a try...(you might need to experiment a bit)

Thanks, tried that, ejecting the disk at different times. The best I got was that even after inserting the disc it would still ask me to insert it and even after ejecting/inserting the disc I would get it every 2 seconds making it impossible to back out or navigate.

I guess I'm just SOL (unless someone's able to fix it in a new update), I found a cheap price for a copy of Grand Battle 3, I might pick it up and try that game, but I have the feeling I'll just get the same problem :/

Clipper

Choppasmith said:
Thanks, tried that, ejecting the disk at different times. The best I got was that even after inserting the disc it would still ask me to insert it and even after ejecting/inserting the disc I would get it every 2 seconds making it impossible to back out or navigate.

I guess I'm just SOL (unless someone's able to fix it in a new update), I found a cheap price for a copy of Grand Battle 3, I might pick it up and try that game, but I have the feeling I'll just get the same problem :/
You might also want to try other ways of launching the game. StartPatch should get it playing via your disc menu and may work better than Gecko OS. I have one Wii game (CSI: Deadly Intent) that I can only play by using StartPatch (it doesn't work via USB and Gecko crashes), so maybe it will help for you too.

For instructions on getting and using it, see this page of the tutorial, but obviously choose the region free GC patches rather than blocking the updates.

Guys, I plan on picking a Wii on my next trip to HK, and as I understand the region for retail releases does not matter, as I can always buy the game, rip it to HDD and play using USB Loader, correct?

What about WiiWare and Wii Shop? Will it be set to my location or console's region? If I buy a NTSC-US console and have the US store, can I pay using European CC? I know thinkgs like that are impossible on X360, but I don't know about the Wii.

Checked FAQ in the wiki, but there's no info.

Castor Krieg said:
What about WiiWare and Wii Shop? Will it be set to my location or console's region? If I buy a NTSC-US console and have the US store, can I pay using European CC? I know thinkgs like that are impossible on X360, but I don't know about the Wii.
-Set to console region (well, the country setting of the Wii the first time you enter the Wii Shop actually sets your region*)
-Yes, though it suggested to set the country from Brazil as it is easier to buy points from there (details in here)

*-But it isn't important since the only countries you can select are those that are of that consoles region.

ZAK

Don't mean to be pushy, but no one's responded to me, and my problem gets weirder and weirder...

I first posed my problem in this post; basically, I'm trying to use StartPatch but can't seem to get it to recognize IOS 249.

I tried following what RocketDarkness said to do, since when I tried to redo the TBR steps I got the same result he did. However, I can't delete IOS 249! AnyTitle Deleter bombards me with errors, including ES_Identify errors, and while it shows me what I have, it can't delete it. Also, according to Dop-IOS, I have IOS 249 rev. 15.

So I can't get rid of the IOS 249 which I allegedly have, so I can't reinstall it, and meanwhile StartPatch refuses to recognize it. Help?

sruckus

I would just like to commend everyone here for the excellent thread. I finally caved to hacking the Wii over the weekend and I wish I had found this thread instead of trying to make sense out of the convoluted so called "newbie" guides all over the internet. What a pain.

Clipper

ZAK said:
Don't mean to be pushy, but no one's responded to me, and my problem gets weirder and weirder...

I first posed my problem in this post; basically, I'm trying to use StartPatch but can't seem to get it to recognize IOS 249.

I tried following what RocketDarkness said to do, since when I tried to redo the TBR steps I got the same result he did. However, I can't delete IOS 249! AnyTitle Deleter bombards me with errors, including ES_Identify errors, and while it shows me what I have, it can't delete it. Also, according to Dop-IOS, I have IOS 249 rev. 15.

So I can't get rid of the IOS 249 which I allegedly have, so I can't reinstall it, and meanwhile StartPatch refuses to recognize it. Help?
OK, that is quite weird. Your edits in the other post made me think you'd worked it out and IOS249 was working OK, but I guess not.

Hmm... perhaps there is something you could try. First, use TBR to install a patched IOS36 into the IOS236 slot, enabling all the patches (you should be able to use IOS249 to do this, but if it fails, use the steps for 4.2 Wii updated via Nintendo in the Wiki). Second, delete IOS249 with AnyTitleDeleter Mod (it should hopefully work then). Third, use TBR to install a patched IOS36 (again all patches) into the IOS249 slot. Then try StartPatch.

THe patched IOS36 should have the necessary capabilities to get StartPatch going. Remember that you won't have the real IOS249 when it comes to things such as USB Loading (but it seems you don't need it for anything else anyway).

ZAK

Clipper said:
OK, that is quite weird. Your edits in the other post made me think you'd worked it out and IOS249 was working OK, but I guess not.

Hmm... perhaps there is something you could try. First, use TBR to install a patched IOS36 into the IOS236 slot, enabling all the patches (you should be able to use IOS249 to do this, but if it fails, use the steps for 4.2 Wii updated via Nintendo in the Wiki). Second, delete IOS249 with AnyTitleDeleter Mod (it should hopefully work then). Third, use TBR to install a patched IOS36 (again all patches) into the IOS249 slot. Then try StartPatch.

THe patched IOS36 should have the necessary capabilities to get StartPatch going. Remember that you won't have the real IOS249 when it comes to things such as USB Loading (but it seems you don't need it for anything else anyway).
Thanks!

Okay, so I was using AnyTitle Deleter regular, not Mod, which is why it wasn't working. However, even when I did it right, it made no difference. I tried deleting 249 and reinstalling on 250 and it didn't work. I tried getting rid of 249 and 250 and starting over and the result was the same.

Then I did what you wrote. You didn't specify what to use to install patched 36 onto 249, so I used the IOS15 downgrade-install-restore method. This is okay, yeah? You also didn't say whether to run the "loud music" installer afterwards. I tried it both ways (rev 1 and then 15) and neither one was accepted by StartPatch.

By the way, is it normal for IOS 250 be have rev 65535? That's all I've ever seen it have.

Clipper

ZAK said:
Thanks!

Okay, so I was using AnyTitle Deleter regular, not Mod, which is why it wasn't working. However, even when I did it right, it made no difference. I tried deleting 249 and reinstalling on 250 and it didn't work. I tried getting rid of 249 and 250 and starting over and the result was the same.

Then I did what you wrote. You didn't specify what to use to install patched 36 onto 249, so I used the IOS15 downgrade-install-restore method. This is okay, yeah? You also didn't say whether to run the "loud music" installer afterwards. I tried it both ways (rev 1 and then 15) and neither one was accepted by StartPatch.

By the way, is it normal for IOS 250 be have rev 65535? That's all I've ever seen it have.
Yes, it's normal. I was more expecting you to use 236 to install the patched version onto 249, but what you did should also be OK as long as you enabled all the patches. I'm very surprised that neither of them works with StartPatch. Are you sure you have the correct version of StartPatch installed? What firmware are you currently on?

ZAK

Clipper said:
Yes, it's normal. I was more expecting you to use 236 to install the patched version onto 249, but what you did should also be OK as long as you enabled all the patches. I'm very surprised that neither of them works with StartPatch. Are you sure you have the correct version of StartPatch installed? What firmware are you currently on?
I'm on 4.0U. I got StartPatch from this page under v4.0, NTSC-U. Just in case I got the wrong one somehow, I downloaded it again and replaced it. Same thing happens.

By the way, the ES_Identify error says it's -1017. Just in case that's meaningful.

Clipper

ZAK said:
I'm on 4.0U. I got StartPatch from this page under v4.0, NTSC-U. Just in case I got the wrong one somehow, I downloaded it again and replaced it. Same thing happens.

By the way, the ES_Identify error says it's -1017. Just in case that's meaningful.
Well, I don't know what is really wrong. There is one more thing you could possibly try, though. If you were using the online method to install IOS249, try the offline method instead. Install the 'loud music' installer using the offline instructions for it. There shouldn't be a need to do the ATDM steps again.

If that doesn't work, then the only other thing I can suggest is to upgrade via the safe upgrader and then try to get StartPatch 4.2U going. Perhaps there was a bug in 4.0U or something.

ZAK

Clipper said:
Well, I don't know what is really wrong. There is one more thing you could possibly try, though. If you were using the online method to install IOS249, try the offline method instead. Install the 'loud music' installer using the offline instructions for it. There shouldn't be a need to do the ATDM steps again.

If that doesn't work, then the only other thing I can suggest is to upgrade via the safe upgrader and then try to get StartPatch 4.2U going. Perhaps there was a bug in 4.0U or something.
Alright. I got the WAD on my SD card and ran the installer. It said it worked, but, no difference. So in the end I'm down to the final option.

I used the safe 4.2 upgrade. It failed a couple of times, but eventually installed, and the latest StartPatch actually works. Yay Mario! Thanks!

donny2112

Clipper said:
Perhaps there was a bug in 4.0U or something.

If there is, I'm hitting it, too. 4.0U. Same issue as RocketDarkness. I'm trying to get No Disc Updates to work. Rechecked that I've followed all the instructions up to StartPatch with no luck. I'll try the 4.2 SafeUpdater later with the 4.2 StartPatch.

Thanks for keeping the Wiki up-to-date!

Edit:
Good to read that it worked for Zak that way! :D

SD card and reader turned up in the post, so its time to hack this bitch right open!! The rebirth of my new black Wii! Hope everything goes to plan..

To the GAF Wiki Tutorial I go!!

Oh well, braving through. The option to download the IOS's straight in this Trucha Bug thing isn't showing up (is it only for wired connections or something?) so I'll have to find and put them in manually. Not enjoying this step at all!

Not many people frequenting this thread I guess? Just tried installing IOS249 and after selecting IOS236 to use and getting to a disclaimer, an exception occurred and froze, forcing me to reset and shit myself. Wii has turned on again but now hesitant to retry unless somethings busted? Did anyone else experience this?

SecretBonusPoint said:
Not many people frequenting this thread I guess? Just tried installing IOS249 and after selecting IOS236 to use and getting to a disclaimer, an exception occurred and froze, forcing me to reset and shit myself. Wii has turned on again but now hesitant to retry unless somethings busted? Did anyone else experience this?

Just to be cautious, did you made a nand backup just in case???

that way you could try to do it again without worrying too much...

What firm do you have??

I did do a nand backup, but BootMii is only as an IOS and not a boot2 so no idea how I'd ever repair it if need be.

Its installed properly now, dunno why it bugged out on me and almost gave me a heart attack. Man alive :lol

Good....

btw, your nand backup won`t bee useful if bootmi is installed as a ios...

It needs to be in the nand (so, I think your black wii doesn`t let you install it there) :(

Clipper

SecretBonusPoint said:
Well that was a waste of time backing that up then. So if it bricks I'm fucked no matter what :lol Livin by the seat o my pants, bitchez
Well, if you install Priiloader, then you will be able to restore it. The only problem is that installing Priiloader can brick your Wii if you aren't very careful. In my opinion, you are better off just being careful. The best brick protection is prevention. Ask here before installing anything not detailed in the Wiki or doing any sort of upgrade (but check the Wiki for info first) and you can't brick your Wii.

As for your other problems, did you realise that to get the option to download the IOSes, you just had to push D-pad L/R? It doesn't display a list, it displays a static selection window (e.g., "< Download via NUS>") and you choose the value inside the <> with the D-pad (you can only ever see the selected option).

Also, you will get mild crashes from applications all the time. It's normal and you should just rerun them most of the time. The tutorial will warn you if what you are about to do poses any real danger to the Wii, so only worry if one of those steps with warnings fail.

Dalthien

Clipper said:
Also, you will get mild crashes from applications all the time. It's normal and you should just rerun them most of the time. The tutorial will warn you if what you are about to do poses any real danger to the Wii, so only worry if one of those steps with warnings fail.
Can you elaborate on mild crashes from applications?

My Wii has been having problems loading homebrew applications lately. GeckoOS will sometimes take 3 tries before it actually loads. (I will load the app and just get a permanent black screen as a result). The same thing will occasionally happen with cfg USB Loader. Once I get the app to load, everything runs fine and there are no problems during gameplay. The problem seems to be isolated to getting the app to start correctly.

I've been wondering if something might have gotten corrupted in my system memory, and if trying to restore my NAND might help. But then you mentioned that mild crashes are normal. So I'm wondering if my situation is normal, or something that I might need to try to correct.

Clipper

Dalthien said:
Can you elaborate on mild crashes from applications?

My Wii has been having problems loading homebrew applications lately. GeckoOS will sometimes take 3 tries before it actually loads. (I will load the app and just get a permanent black screen as a result). The same thing will occasionally happen with cfg USB Loader. Once I get the app to load, everything runs fine and there are no problems during gameplay. The problem seems to be isolated to getting the app to start correctly.

I've been wondering if something might have gotten corrupted in my system memory, and if trying to restore my NAND might help. But then you mentioned that mild crashes are normal. So I'm wondering if my situation is normal, or something that I might need to try to correct.
If you are running from the HBC, a common fix is to wait for the network light at the bottom right to stop flashing before you choose an application.

Otherwise, moving everything off the SD card and copying it back also helps sometimes.

Dalthien

Clipper said:
If you are running from the HBC, a common fix is to wait for the network light at the bottom right to stop flashing before you choose an application.

Otherwise, moving everything off the SD card and copying it back also helps sometimes.
Hmm - I never even thought about the flashing network symbol. Yeah, I do run them from the HBC.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try.

Cruceh

Banned
Well, I just installed homebrew channel for the Wii after going vanilla for 2 years. It's good and all, but wth do I do with it? Anything interesting?

Clipper

Cruceh said:
Well, I just installed homebrew channel for the Wii after going vanilla for 2 years. It's good and all, but wth do I do with it? Anything interesting?
There's a bunch of fun games and things available by the Homebrew Browser. Have a look through and see if anything tickles your fancy.

In case you don't know, you can also copy your own games onto a USB drive and play them from there. Load times are faster and you can force progressive scan in games that don't support it and so on. The Wiki has you covered if you want to go about doing that.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Clipper said:
you can force progressive scan in games that don't support it and so on.

The wiki mentions Prime Trilogy (Yeah, I know that otherwise it boots in 480i with CFG but otherwise the games does support 480p originally), so the only games I know wich actually do force 480p are Mario Party 8 PAL and Kororimpa. Are there others? I can't seem to find any kind of list of supported games on the wiki (or even googleing), even if incomplete or unofficial.

Clipper

Dash Kappei said:
The wiki mentions Prime Trilogy (Yeah, I know that otherwise it boots in 480i with CFG but otherwise the games does support 480p originally), so the only games I know wich actually do force 480p are Mario Party 8 PAL and Kororimpa. Are there others? I can't seem to find any kind of list of supported games on the wiki (or even googleing), even if incomplete or unofficial.
Others that I know of are Spider-Man 3, The Simpsons Game, Madworld and Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2.

Dash Kappei

FUCK FUCK FUCK!

HELP?

I'm using Marc's Shop's installer to update the Wii Shop (Method 2 from the Wiki) and at the first step (download version v5405 of IOS61 from the net since it can't find it on the SD card, I said yes obviously as the Wiki suggests) it just hanged on "initializing network".
It's been friggin' 10 minutes and it's still on "Inizializing Network......"
LAN Adapter connection.

What should I do?
Power off the Wii? It says it could brick it right? I have the nand backup but I'm fucking scared.

Fuck me for wanting to throw some more money at Nintendo for Wiiware and stuff. :/

Dash Kappei

Dash Kappei said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK!

HELP?

I'm using Marc's Shop's installer to update the Wii Shop (Method 2 from the Wiki) and at the first step (download version v5405 of IOS61 from the net since it can't find it on the SD card, I said yes obviously as the Wiki suggests) it just hanged on "initializing network".
It's been friggin' 10 minutes and it's still on "Inizializing Network......"
LAN Adapter connection.

What should I do?
Power off the Wii? It says it could brick it right? I have the nand backup but I'm fucking scared.

Fuck me for wanting to throw some more money at Nintendo for Wiiware and stuff. :/

Also, from:
http://gwht.wikidot.com/wii-shop
it says "This methods is only tested for firmware 4.2." Did it mean "only tested up to 4.2", right? Because I'm on 4.0 (never had the Wii Sports Resorts M+ video bug, dunno why but I'm not the only one at that)... shit is confusing.

Also, if I manage to recover and go the WiiSCU way instead of Marc's (damn me, it seemed easier and stabler to me!) which one should I choose? The wiki only redirect to the Wiibrew's page, where it's unclear which one should I chose if I'm doing it for the Wii Shop AND I'm on 4.0. Should I go for v0.22?

The page reports:

If you need Shop Channel, use version 0.23 (modified by SifJar) which downloads v18 of the Shop Channel, instead of getting latest version, due to some issues caused by getting latest version. This version also gets v6174 of IOS60 as in v0.22

For anyone using System Menu 4.0-4.1, use WiiSCU v0.22
* Fixes the IOS60 stub issue by getting v6174 instead of the latest version"

But anyway, maybe I'll never need all of this if I'm screwed, so please, please someone tell me if I should power off the Wii or something (see post above).
Sigh. -_-

Clipper

Dash Kappei said:
Also, from:
http://gwht.wikidot.com/wii-shop
it says "This methods is only tested for firmware 4.2." Did it mean "only tested up to 4.2", right? Because I'm on 4.0 (never had the Wii Sports Resorts M+ video bug, dunno why but I'm not the only one at that)... shit is confusing.

Also, if I manage to recover and go the WiiSCU way instead of Marc's (damn me, it seemed easier and stabler to me!) which one should I choose? The wiki only redirect to the Wiibrew's page, where it's unclear which one should I chose if I'm doing it for the Wii Shop AND I'm on 4.0. Should I go for v0.22?

The page reports:

But anyway, maybe I'll never need all of this if I'm screwed, so please, please someone tell me if I should power off the Wii or something (see post above).
Sigh. -_-
Power off the Wii. The Wii Shop update can't brick you and even if this were a full firmware update, the initialization stage won't brick you.

Yes, it means only tested up to 4.2. Sorry for the confusion.

Use the latest version of the shop installer, v0.23. You are meant to abort that sequence of statements as soon as you see something that applies, which for you is needing the shop channel. If you weren't installing the shop, you'd then choose versions based on whether you were on 4.0/4.1 and so on.

Dash Kappei

Clipper said:
Power off the Wii. The Wii Shop update can't brick you and even if this were a full firmware update, the initialization stage won't brick you.

Yes, it means only tested up to 4.2. Sorry for the confusion.

Use the latest version of the shop installer, v0.23. You are meant to abort that sequence of statements as soon as you see something that applies, which for you is needing the shop channel. If you weren't installing the shop, you'd then choose versions based on whether you were on 4.0/4.1 and so on.

I just LOVE you for being online and willing to reply so quickly! :D

Fingers crossed, I'll power of now... and then if it goes well, I'm confident tho reading your words (obviously it is MY decision, you will not be held responsible, lol) , I'll try Wiiscu 0.23 (again, for the record, with the LAN adapter).

Thanks mate!

Dash Kappei

So, luckily everything was fine, thanks Clipper.

Unfortunately, after that, I ran (at first I thought successfully) WiiScu (023), selected -Trucha for IOS61 and got the Wii Shop update as well.
Networking was ok this time and it did download the 15 items for IOS61 and the 18 for the Shop, everything seemed ok and when it was done I was taken back to the HBC.
Then I hit the home button and exited to the Wii Menu like I'm used to when I want to run games through the Disc Channel or I want to play VC/Wiiware games.

Then why the hell I'm still being asked to do the update to use the Wii Shop when I try to connect to it? -_-

Clipper

Dash Kappei said:
So, luckily everything was fine, thanks Clipper.

Unfortunately, after that, I ran (at first I thought successfully) WiiScu (023), selected -Trucha for IOS61 and got the Wii Shop update as well.
Networking was ok this time and it did download the 15 items for IOS61 and the 18 for the Shop, everything seemed ok and when it was done I was taken back to the HBC.
Then I hit the home button and exited to the Wii Menu like I'm used to when I want to run games through the Disc Channel or I want to play VC/Wiiware games.

Then why the hell I'm still being asked to do the update to use the Wii Shop when I try to connect to it? -_-
Sometimes, for some unknown reason, one or the other of the two methods doesn't work. Go back to marc's technique and it should hopefully work this time.

eznark said:
Any solution to rip and load GameCube games yet?
No.

Dash Kappei

Clipper said:
Sometimes, for some unknown reason, one or the other of the two methods doesn't work. Go back to marc's technique and it should hopefully work this time.

I'm thinking that maybe I didn't get the recommended:
"If you don't get the final continue prompt, it likely didn't work."
Since when I got back in front of the tv (when I left it was done for the IOS61 and at #16 out of 18 for the Shop update) it was showing the usual list of the first 4 apps of the HBC.
I'll simply try again then, with Marc's method as you suggest.
*update: nothing, Marc's method always hangs on "initializing network".
I'll try WiiScu again.
*update2: Bah, now even WiiScu gives me some "http error" problem... I give up for the time being -__- Out of curiosity, how come of the list of the IOS that WiiScu gives me (16, 38, 60 and 61) only 61 is the one to update?

---

But also, and much more important*:

*resolved in Edit2 below, but if someone lese had problems with Bootmii and black screens here it is:

I have the BootMii cfg 2.4 set to launch directly to the HBC.
Well, now instead of tacking me to the HBC I get a black screen.
I need to have set it to Wii Sys Menu and only from there I can go to the HBC (where everything seems still to work fine so far).
It's a bummer, since I hate waiting all that to have 10 minutes of playtime with Kororimpa 2, Mario or whatever.

My PAL launch Wii has:

HBC Channel with BootMii (although I first hacked my Wii when I was on 3.2 with the TP hack and got the HBC right away, never had a single problem until.. now!) and had Preloader before BootMii (then it stopped working and I've never recovered it when the new working .ini hacks were "released").

Oh, if it helps I've never installed channels, even with forwarder what's the name, nor the "dirty" trucha bug shit and all that jazz.

BootMii info:
BootMii/Stub/Mini v0.9
SysMenu: 4.0E boot1b boot2v3
NAND usage: 78.6%

EDIT2:
I think the problem might be that HBC 1.06 (before tonight I was still on 1.03) requires BootMii 1.1b5 to work with BMii CFG's custom booting.
I'll report back.
EDIT3:
Yes, that's exactly what it was! I had to install the newest BootMii Boot2 through the Hackmii installer 0.6. :D

Now I just need to go back to what started all this mess... trying to update the Shop :lol

Clipper

Ledsen said:
So is the StartPatch "region free wii games" option safe to use or should I use Gecko OS instead?
It seems safe enough. I use it to run CSI: Deadly Intent (which doesn't work with Gecko OS for some reason). It is also a little more convenient than Gecko OS seeing as it is always available.

Top Bottom