• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it 'Itsy Bitsy Spider' or 'Incy Wincy Spider'

How do you take your spider?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Van Bur3n

So I just looked into it,

APPARENTLY, the origin is neither Itsy Bitsy or Incy Wincy, it's ACTUALLY...

Blooming. Bloody Spider

No really, here is apparently where the poem sprung from, originally from Camp and Camino in Lower California (1910) known simply as "Spider Song":

Oh, the blooming, bloody spider went up the spider web,
The blooming, bloody rain came down and washed the spider out,
The blooming, bloody sun came out and dried up all the rain,
And the blooming, bloody spider came up the web again.

It originated from America and spread worldwide, and the song changed form. Apparently Itsy Bitsy also predates Incy Wincy.

We won.

I've heard it both ways growing up from my teachers. Incy Wincy (pronounced "EEN-SEE WEEN-SEE") more with the hand movements.

I've never heard "Blooming, Bloody Spider". Makes the song sound more aggressive with "Blooming, blooding Spider; blooming, bloody rain; blooming bloody sun..." Might as well just call it the "Fuckin' piece of shit spider/sun/rain" and get it all out in the open.

Valve are a US based company, therefore they have no authority over the English language. I think we need QEII to settle this one, I'll give her a bell and get back to you.

we'll toss incy wincy and the queen into the boston harbor where they belong

Rookhelm

my knee jerk says Itsy Bitsy, but after trying both, I'm not sure what was more common when I was a kid (U.S.).

I've heard both expressions, but I think the spider song usually had Itsy Bitsy, but maybe iv'e heard it both ways.

I wont hear any disputes on this.

Sorry to shatter your Incy Wincy world view

Incy wincy too here in the UK. Love how random this is lmao.

Also lol at people saying "the fuck is incy wincy". Itsy bitsy also makes zero sense.

If we're being intellectually honest. Itsy Bitsy is in the dictionary and Incy Wincy is not. But you are right, its baby talk which is utter nonsense to begin with.

Incy wincy. It's a UK thing I guess.

It's more complicated than that.

I've heard both.

But more importantly, congratulations, GAF! This is the first thread I've ever seen with the word "spider" in it where the majority of posts didn't incite arson, claim "nightmare fuel" or simply say "why did I click on this thread?".

If you can sing a children's song about a spider without crying in a corner afterwards, maybe someday you can see a picture of a spider on the internet without wetting your pants.

FuuRe

I know spanish language anglicisms are generally gross corruptions of the original words, but here in Chile it has always been "Incy Wincy"

Maybe that's the dead giveaway that it must be "Itsy Bitsy"

In the US, pigs in blankets are wrapped in a harder, biscuit like pastry. not a puff pastry. Sausage rolls are sausages in puff pastry.

Incy Wincy.

Not really true, while it is true if someone were to make pigs in a blanket from scratch at home they'd just use whatever dough they could get cheap at the store. Real pigs in a blanket from a restaurant or a store will have puff pastry.

HebrewNationalFranks.jpg

BadHand

Not really true, while it is true if someone were to make pigs in a blanket from scratch at home they'd just use whatever dough they could get cheap at the store. Real pigs in a blanket from a restaurant or a store will have puff pastry.

Do you prefer to eat those with a side of freedom fries or liberty cabbage?

BadHand

Here come the lowest common denominator insults. How nice of you. Shall I insult you based on the worst stereotype of where you are from as well?

Didn't mean to offend or insult - I thought this back-and-forth (in the spirit of the thread) was jovial.

Not sure why you would find a silly reference so insulting, though.

What? No, that's a sausage roll. Pig in a blanket is a sausage wrapped in bacon.

Did you miss the part where I said "We call it". We being Americans. The reason I say its not a sausage roll is because American hot dogs are all beef. British sausages are not made of all beef typically.

Didn't mean to offend or insult - I thought this back-and-forth (in the spirit of the thread) was jovial.

No worries.

Top Bottom