• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Ruins Everything Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

diehard

Fleer
Anyone else find the traffic one to be kinda bullshit?

The whole "if you just make more roads there will magically be more cars" thing is kinda .. stupid?

This is such a good series. Found it a week or so ago. Found it through College Humor, which I just discovered 2 weeks ago. I always knew of it, but people always hatin on it so I never gave it a chance until recently. Dunno why the channel gets so much hate.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Anyone else find the traffic one to be kinda bullshit?

The whole "if you just make more roads there will magically be more cars" thing is kinda .. stupid?
It's counterintuitive, but the logic is there:

Making personal vehicles more convenient will lead to more people choosing to use personal vehicles, therefore more cars.

kavanf1

Interesting, but I'll reserve judgement. I remember his video about why gaming is male dominated and found it far too simplified to agree with. He mixed up cause and effect in that one. Not sure if he does it in others, but if so I'd take his arguments with a pinch of salt.

Nepenthe

This one is particularly frightening because when I went to my last family reunion, we stayed in a hotel with an indoor pool. Didn't have a bathing suit but I decided to join my family on the edge to shoot the breeze anyway. After a good fifteen minutes my eyes and throat were burning. The smell and feel of chlorine was so strong it was forcing people out. I tried to tell a worker, manager- someone- that their pool room was basically like walking into a cat hoarder's house, but all I got was "We don't put chlorine in the water. We use something else. It's fine. :D"

No trick; it's not.

Anyway, I say all of this to say that I've probably been near a pool that was 80% "contaminants" and it isn't fun, and also that I love this show to bits despite it destroying some of my sacred cows (orange juice is really disgusting).

YourMaster

It's counterintuitive, but the logic is there:

Making personal vehicles more convenient will lead to more people choosing to use personal vehicles, therefore more cars.

Yeah, but what people are forgetting is that this still means you've made live more convenient for a lot of people. If there are a thousand more cars on the road because of an infrastructure improvement, those thousand people first took the bus or stayed at home or whatever. Now even if there's congestion again, somehow these people are still in an improved situation, otherwise they'd take the bus again.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, but what people are forgetting is that this still means you've made live more convenient for a lot of people. If there are a thousand more cars on the road because of an infrastructure improvement, those thousand people first took the bus or stayed at home or whatever. Now even if there's congestion again, somehow these people are still in an improved situation, otherwise they'd take the bus again.

That's a separate discussion from the one you quoted. The other poster was scoffing at the idea that more roads lead to more cars and more traffic.

To your point, the problem is that spending for improving infrastructure for often single occupancy vehicles trumps spending for improving mass transit. Thousands more could benefit from better trains and better civic planning that doesn't have to account for personal vehicles, but that doesn't happen because we focus on cars.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Was lookin for something to take over for Bullshit and it looks like I found it.

I admit I wasn't a big fan and some parts can be a bit irritating, but overall it's quite well done.

Actually subscribed to CH but don't recall seeing his stuff come up though the fake Talia from the dirty Batman spoof was in one of the shows which got a giggle out.

Dai101

Banned
Liked the episode although it was kind of old news, who really believes Reality TV is not scripted?

d925g81.gif

I mean, i refuse to believe Deadliest Catch is scripted. Every other? Hell yeah. Fake as trump's tan.

clav

Caught the second half when the show was discussing the dangers of overhydration in marathons.

So his essay is basically football should change to flag football or non-tackle football since the current state of football guarantees CTE.

edit: Saw the first part. Talks about how playoff championship winners are a coin flip (i.e. best team during the season doesn't usually win championship) and the overmarketing of hydration.

Bgamer90

Banned
I just started watching this show. Really good. Reminds me of a more adult version of Bill Nye The Science Guy and Beakman's World.

Davey Cakes

Yeah, it's extremely watchable, compact, and informative. I don't mind Adam's personality at all. It's like a somewhat spunkier Alton Brown.

I really need to watch more of these videos. There are so many. I love education in little, entertaining bits.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I thought his NFL playoff discussion was one of the most poorly done segments in the show thus far. He should have better explained what constituents luck. While there are certain variables that are unforseeable (like ball physics in a complex play), many aspects can be determined through micro assessment.

Even injuries, which can vary due to differences in human biology, have some level of prevention from training. While a player cannot control the actions of another player, there are responses that reduce the chance of injury. That said, I think it's near impossible to predict how the body responds to force in every scenario. That requires a level of analysis that seems unobtainable due to the complexity of the human body.

clav

That's why we watch sports: unpredictability. You see people who are not interested in NFL or the NBA until playoffs.

NFL Playoff games are one game elimination, usually not in a series set as teams don't play against each other in a best of 7.

I think what bothers me about the hydration episode is that there's also a diet factor involved. Americans eat a lot of sugar + salt, which increases the risk of dehydration. Kinda wish he made the connection there although I guess his argument is purely from an athletic prospective.

SaganIsGOAT

Just started watching season 1 with my girlfriend. This show is amazing and hilarious. The way they display sources is smart, and Adam's hair if fucking marvelous. Seriously, I want to lay in bed with that man and run my fingers through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom