• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Veep - S6 |OT| - Making History. Whether You Like It Or Not. - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumley

Banned
Weakest season so far imo and they harped WAY too hard on Selena just being horrible to Gary every single second. Jonah's parts were completely hilarious as usual but outside of that the absence of Ianucci was felt.

honestly I thought this finale was fucking awful. They did a decent job of making up for the loss last season but now Ianucci's exit was so obvious this time. writing got much less funnier and wittier too. its been mostly lazy jokes.

Lack of direction for the characters and now having her run for president again? lol hell no, she shouldn't even go past primaries at this point. Jonah made this season watchable.

I was ready to quit until they teased a future plot thread of Jonah running for president as well, he'll make it amusing. but this show has clearly peaked a while ago. selina and her main team is no longer entertaining either, well not the way they've been written as of late. it felt kind of like a chore to get through a lot of this season tbh.

My feelings exactly.

Dice//

Banned
I didn't care for the structure and style either, and it got a bit depressing as Selena kept searching for a way to get out of her rut, but the one-liners kept me coming back.

Hopefully next season wraps it all up, gives her a kinda-happy ending.

shoelacer

Banned
There's no way Jonah could run for president. It's not that it's not believable or even funny, but don't tell me you wouldn't be sitting there pissed off that someone so grossly idiotic and incompetent could actually run for president.

Huh? He's already less stupid than the actual irl president

This show's problems in the past couple of series was perfectly shown during that Selina giving birth scene. Everyone just nothing more than a caricature.

Raven117

Yep. Show should have ended last season. The writers are just flailing at this point.

Didn't the creator leave?

Anyway, IMO the show started falling apart when she actually became President.

The whole show's premise was the "lot to do about nothing" part of being VEEP. IMO that was the canvass that made all of the jokes pop.

There is nothing funny about being President. Thats dead serious.

Then, not in office, the underlying joke of "VP does nothing" is so far from what's happening the show doesn't work as well.

So as someone that gave this show a shot years ago (with season 1) and got about three episodes in and didn't really enjoy it - but who is also a massive fan of the creative team behind this and the UK show it's based on, The Thick of It - is Veep worth sticking with?

I've seen on Metacritic that season 1 is ranked as the weakest season, with later seasons faring much better. Does the show improve after season 1? Consistently funny? Just asking because I saw some people highly recommend Veep in the Silicon Valley thread, a show to which I'm a fan.

So thought it might be worth trying again with Veep. Worth sticking with?

Hazmat

So as someone that gave this show a shot years ago (with season 1) and got about three episodes in and didn't really enjoy it - but who is also a massive fan of the creative team behind this and the UK show it's based on, The Thick of It - is Veep worth sticking with?

I've seen on Metacritic that season 1 is ranked as the weakest season, with later seasons faring much better. Does the show improve after season 1? Consistently funny? Just asking because I saw some people highly recommend Veep in the Silicon Valley thread, a show to which I'm a fan.

So thought it might be worth trying again with Veep. Worth sticking with?

Yes. I had trouble with the first season as it was airing, dropping it after 4-5 episodes before marathoning it shortly before season 2 started. Season 1 gets better as it goes on and 2-4 are absolutely perfect.

Yes. I had trouble with the first season as it was airing, dropping it after 4-5 episodes before marathoning it shortly before season 2 started. Season 1 gets better as it goes on and 2-4 are absolutely perfect.

Ah, thanks dude! Had a feeling this was the case. I was wondering all these years how I couldn't get in to something so loved and popular, and it looks like, as I suspected, it's a show that hits its stride around season 2.

Looking forward to marathoning every season shortly. Guess I'm in the awesome position of having the entire series there for me to watch.

Arttemis

My girlfriend and I binged this show a couple months ago. God damn, every second was great. I'm eagerly anticipating the next season.

Dmax3901

I can see where the disappointment is coming from but I still enjoyed series 6 overall. It's the right move to end it though.

Sloane

Banned
Yeah, sounds like a good decision. They could (and maybe should) have ended it with Iannucci leaving but it's definitely time now. Will miss the show but the last two seasons weren't so swell. Maybe they can get Iannucci back for the finale, Seinfeld-style.

HMD

I was hoping we'd get a couple more seasons cause no show has ever made me laugh like Veep, but I'm glad we're finally getting a proper finale.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
No idea how well sourced this is, but Deadline notes that Veep won't air until after May 31st next year.
We hear on good authority that Veep ‘s seventh and final season will not air in time to be eligible for the 2018 Emmy show. Production on the final ten episodes is set to begin in October, but at this point plans don’t include a debut before the May 31st eligibility cutoff date for the next Emmy cycle. HBO couldn’t confirm this as the official scheduling has yet to take place, but it appears likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom