• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

shaving while black

PixelatedBookake

I've been shaving for a while now, and, as a black guy, I can't avoid the dreaded razor bumps. I've tried a few anti-bump gels, use a single-blade razor, use shaving cream for sensitive skin, but nothing has worked. Bevel is too expensive for a broke-ass college student like myself.

Any of my fellow POCs have any tips, tricks, and pointers for avoiding razor bumps?

Nivash

Genuinely thought the thread would be about cops busting in on a guy shaving and shooting him "because he had a knife". I'm not sure if GAF has enlightened or ruined me.

Dynomutt

Wash you skin twice a day if you can to remove dead skin to allow your pores to breathe and hair to grow back uninterrupted. Salicylic Acid is your best friend gentle but stron enough for our skin.

Electric Razor
Andis T - Outliner
Braun type is it's not too close.

Single razor actually is better then multi-blade razors. Make sure to soften your hairs hot water and tea tree oil help to soften and lubricate. I tried a Gillette once and my skin looked like a crunch bar. Never again.

Your gonna be limited because of our curly hair man. It is what it is. It's that Pseudofuckourliveskid or what ever it's called.

Air

Banned
I don't shave, I trim. I think having stubble looks better than clean anyway unless you're in the military or a police officer.

That said I heard using a single bladed razor works better for skin apparently, but with the way our facial hair grows, you'll still probably get some kind of ingrown hair or razor bumps

commedieu

Banned
You gotta keep your face clean as hell. Our hairs curl. So when you shave them down, they irritate skin when growing, and if you've got oil, that clogs your pours.

Whenever I shave I keep my face super clean with unscented mild soap. Other folks can skip it. But a good scrub keeps me razor bump free.

Upstairs..

And.

Downstairs.

And I just use disposables.

But I use hair clippers now. Just without a guard. Makes prickles though. So conditioner works wonders to soften up.

HiiiLife

I've had to straight up get prescription because my bumps got bad. Don't get it nearly as bad anymore and I really gotta watch how often I shave

MechaX

I have always had to use the electric shaver once a week, as doing it every day or other day would be rough on the skin.

I tried to use a disposable razor once.

Never fucking again.

Invest in a set of Andis Outliner clips. You can adjust the blades to give a nice closer shave, without cutting you face off(Just keep in mind the shadow will come in a lot fast since its not baby smooth). I haven't had bumps since I switched over. Good luck homie

I've been shaving for a while now, and, as a black guy, I can't avoid the dreaded razor bumps. I've tried a few anti-bump gels, use a single-blade razor, use shaving cream for sensitive skin, but nothing has worked. Bevel is too expensive for a broke-ass college student like myself.

Any of my fellow POCs have any tips, tricks, and pointers for avoiding razor bumps?

Sounds like it's time to get yourself a trimmer.

I went through something similar where, because my facial hair grows in wildly it was basically impossible for me to shave with a razor without getting bumps. For just something basic, it'll run you like $15-30.

PixelatedBookake

You guys would say an electric razor is worth the investment? What kind of maintenance is required? Blade heads need to be replaced or anything like that?

I'm using bevel now and it helped the sides of my face but I still get some bumps around my mouth and on my neck.

Never use multi-blade disposable razors. I might have to look into getting an electric razor soon.

solomon

I had bad bumps for a while here's what helped me.
- An electric face brush for general face washing and exfoliation, use it twice a day and apply a good face toner/moisturizer after.
- Shave less frequently to let your skin heal up, my Dermatologist recommended I start using Bump Fighter Disposable Razors and they really did the trick, Amazon sells them in bulk.

Dynomutt

You guys would say an electric razor is worth the investment? What kind of maintenance is required? Blade heads need to be replaced or anything like that?

If you have a barber they can "zero gap" it for you for a closer trim or watch a youtube video. Not much to maintain just clipper oil and brush. Blades can last a long time if you take care of the clippers 6 mos to 1 year if not longer. Just clean blade tip with a little alcohol every once in a while with a brush and again oil then and you should be good.

My old customer service job required clean shaven faces for men so I had bumps for years. I let my face go after getting another job and all my bumps vanished. Felt amazing.

I did try bevel after getting a discount but it is hella expensive. It worked for me though when I was shaving regularly, I still had my bump scars from before but switching to single blade made a big difference in not getting too muh more. I also got in the habit of using tea tree oil to moisturize my face.

PixelatedBookake

Have you tried a safety razor? These things were life changing for me, and easier to use than I thought. And its cheaper in the long run! This is what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PKHIDRA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077LAJT2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I use a blade or two a week, personally.

These are better than the multi-blade disposables I was using when I first started and teared my neck asunder back when I was in high school, but the single-blade disposables still fuck up my neck with bumps. I've been trying not to shave so close to the skin, but an electric razor might be what I need. Better to just bite the bullet and buy one.

I'd say so, especially if you ever reach the point where you're interested in grooming versus shaving your facial hair completely off.

If you go the electric razor route, the only thing you may want to consider is also getting blade oil to extend the life of the blades. It's really inexpensive, like around $5.

DirtyCase

I'm white and I also have this. When I do shave with a razor the following day I have somewhere around 50 to 100 ingrown hairs in white heads.

So I bought an electric razor and use the sideburns trimmer.

Can get it pretty short with it and don't have the issue anymore. Luckily facial hair in most lengths has become more acceptable in recent times.

You gotta keep your face clean as hell. Our hairs curl. So when you shave them down, they irritate skin when growing, and if you've got oil, that clogs your pours.

Whenever I shave I keep my face super clean with unscented mild soap. Other folks can skip it. But a good scrub keeps me razor bump free.

Upstairs..

And.

Downstairs.

But I use hair clippers now. Just without a guard. Makes prickles though. So conditioner works wonders to soften up.

This is basically what i do and it is good advice. I always hated seeing guys with lots of scar tissue in their shave zone and never wanted to be like that. The above routine has kept me looking nice and smooth!

Da-Kid

I don't have that plague. When I shave I might get a bump or two but it goes away within a few hours or the next day. Hmm.. now that I think about it, I never had skin problems such as bumps, acne, blackheads, etc.

Daingurse

I just use a set of clippers. Shaving with a standard razor would always make my face bump up in hives, and I'm not about that straight razor life. I use this model trimmer. Which I believe, I got after seeing a thread with the exact same premise as this one lol.

71JoS3FUOrL._SX522_.jpg

Electric trimmer followed by acidic exfoliant is all that works for me. Sucks cuz I never get a nice close shave that feels really amooth for more than a day. I also shave every two weeks.

I recommend MUAC's glyluronic serum

Elev8ion

Neo Member
since our hair has natural curl and our skin is sensitive you got to use hot water and some tea tree oil. Single blade and after shaving hot towel brother....that's what works for me.

Razor bumps are gonna happen, but you can limit them with the above.

ZOONAMI

Safety razer and noxzema original as shaving cream.

I'm not black but I used to get bad razer burn and this works.

Noxzema kind of dries your skin though so use some original Nivia as aftershave.

And yeah let that hobo look go for a few days between shaves. People seem to be cool with that these days.

Upstairs..

And.

Downstairs.

Soap is fine but just make sure what your using isnt comodegenic. I recommend la roche-posay's purifying foaming cleanser. It is 100% non comodegenic and not drying.

Invest in a set of Andis Outliner clips. You can adjust the blades to give a nice closer shave, without cutting you face off(Just keep in mind the shadow will come in a lot fast since its not baby smooth). I haven't had bumps since I switched over. Good luck homie

This!

Dabanton

Electric clippers.

Anything else just messes up my skin and gives me ingrowing hairs that take 2 weeks to die down.

Top Bottom