• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Ayumi

Use Windows 10 Game DVR as the above poster suggested to record gameplay, I record the last 3 minutes, an average 3 minute clip comes out to around 220MB.

Then I use the command line utility ffmpeg to:

Trim the video to the time range I want
Code:
Create a video that lasts 8 seconds starting at 0:03
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -ss 00:00:03 -t 00:00:08 -c copy output.mp4
Remove Audio from the video if I sound like a dork or if I have background noise
Code:
Copy a video without keeping the audio track
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c copy -an output.mp4
Concatenate videos together to make a single video with multiple clips

and other functions on my clips until they're how I want them, then I upload them to streamable if they have audio or gfycat if they don't.

I basically do this but with shadowplay and vidcoder instead of command line prompts and win10 game dvr. I've also got shadowplay set to last 30 seconds instead of 3 minutes. I'm just used to that number from xbox.
Whops, forgot I posted in this thread. Seems like I should just stick with Shadowplay, and try to remember when to use the 30sec option. I assume I can use it even when already recording a video?

I'll try the command way on some previous videos, if that won't work I'll check out vidcoder. Thanks, guys!

Magwik

Banned
Y'all know you can just use the Xbox App to naturally trim videos recorded with the Game DVR right?
It can also have set intervals down to I think record the last 15 seconds?

Grassy

Y'all know you can just use the Xbox App to naturally trim videos recorded with the Game DVR right?
It can also have set intervals down to I think record the last 15 seconds?

I use VLC player to do it myself as it's a bit faster. You just play the video and hit the record button to start and stop the section you want to trim and it saves it to your Videos folder.

Mr Swine

Banned
Am I the only one that wants a bit more players than 100? Sometimes it feels like 100 is way too little and you don't see a living soul for 10 minutes or more. The. Sometimes half of the 100 is packed in one area lol.

Has the developers said anything on adding new weapons to the game? I want more shotguns (double barrel please) and grenade launcher (if they can balance it)

Wardancer

Neo Member
Am I the only one that wants a bit more players than 100? Sometimes it feels like 100 is way too little and you don't see a living soul for 10 minutes or more. The. Sometimes half of the 100 is packed in one area lol.

Has the developers said anything on adding new weapons to the game? I want more shotguns (double barrel please) and grenade launcher (if they can balance it)

They have added a few weapons since release, Vector, Groza, MK39, VSS, glock are all additions and more weapons are very likely to come.

There is a double barrelled shotgun already, its over under instead of side by side but functionally the same.

Tovarisc

CM at beginning of the month said in interview that they are adding at least few more weapons in to the game. Since then they have added Mk14 (crate only) so expect few more in future. Expect them also to be crate only because fuck world spawn variety.

Also like Wardancer mentioned there is already double barrel shotgun in the game, S686. I personally hope they don't add any stupid overkill stuff like 40mm GL's.

Wardancer

Neo Member
CM at beginning of the month said in interview that they are adding at least few more weapons in to the game. Since then they have added Mk14 (crate only) so expect few more in future. Expect them also to be crate only because fuck world spawn variety.

Also like Wardancer mentioned there is already double barrel shotgun in the game, S686. I personally hope they don't add any stupid overkill stuff like 40mm GL's.

A m79 thats crate only and spawns with like 5 grenades and takes a primary weapon slot could work. You do not have enough ammo to spam it, it doesnt work at short range (fuse distance) and is reasonably hard to hit at long distance.

Really hope they add another .45 weapon or just remove the tommygun from crates and add it as a world spawn with a smaller 40 round mag.

Otherwise the problem with adding more guns is that they have covered most types of weapons so anything new will just either be better or worse version of an already existing weapon. Maybe some sort of heavier assault rifle like a G3 could find a niche, or a AK-12 for that 2 round super accurate burst.

Gbraga

It's the games way of forcing players together. Without it matches could last potentially forever. Shortly after a match starts a warning text should appear on the bottom half of your screen and notify you that you have 5 minutes to proceed to the marked area on the map and a timer will appear above your mini map. Open your map and you'll see a clearly marked white circle, that is the designated safe space. This is random every time. At certain points new text will remind you to move to the marked area. After the 5 minutes are up, a blue circle will appear on the map and slowly constrict until it envelops the white circle. When the blue circle starts constricting, the timer above your mini map will be replaced by a progress bar showing how close the blue circle is to enveloping the white one, and your rough position between the two circles. Being outside of the blue circle and in the blue zone damages you constantly. The further the match progresses, the more damage the blue zone does. After completely enveloping the white circle, the blue circle will replace the white one, and a new white circle will appear somewhere within the blue circle (always entirely within the blue circle). You will once again have a limited time before the blue circle will start constricting around the white circle, and this process will continue, and the the white circle will become smaller and smaller every time till the end when the safe area disappears completely, and the remaining players will take a shitload of damage and eventually die unless others die first. At this point players should be close enough to smell the cheetos on other players' fingers across computers.

Some tips: Sometimes it's hard to see exactly on the map if you are inside the safe zone or not and you don't want to move any closer than necessary. If you look at your mini map when you are outside of the white circle, you'll be able to see a dotted white line between you and the center of the white circle. The moment you enter the safe area, the dotted line disappears from your mini map. This way you know when you can stop crawling and pop a healing item for example.

Though it says you have 5 minutes to move to the marked area on the map (the first time), it actually means that the blue circle will start restricting after 5 minutes. It will take a while for the blue circle to reach the white circle. The closer you are to the safe area, the longer it'll take before the blue area catches up with you. The more experienced you become, the more time you can spend looting buildings and killing player before moving to the safe area.

You can heal and revive players in the blue zone.

Several times throughout the match, a red zone will appear on your map at random places. After a little while bombs will start dropping in this area. The area is pretty big, and bombs appear to drop at random. It's possible to move through this area while bombs drop. If you're unlucky, you'll get hit. Most of the time, you won't get hit by my experience. If you are inside buildings you are safe from the bombs (though I guess the wooden fuckboy shacks might not protect you). Vehicles will not protect you.

Aiming down the sights is the most accurate. Aiming over the shoulder is less accurate, but more accurate than hip firing. If you're inquiring whether to focus on third person or first person mode servers, that should up to your preferences. I imagine one mode will prove more popular over the other in the community. Time will tell.

Wow, thanks a lot for the detailed post!

I managed to kill two people last night, but ended up dying both times while looting their corpses, hahaha.

This is really the kind of game you have to try for yourself, I guess. I'm consider myself pretty open minded to games I'm not used to, but I was expecting it to take quite a few hours to click with me, I wasn't expecting to start having fun for a few days. Nope, first match, not having any idea of what I'm doing, it was already a blast.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Wow, thanks a lot for the detailed post!

I managed to kill two people last night, but ended up dying both times while looting their corpses, hahaha.

This is really the kind of game you have to try for yourself, I guess. I'm consider myself pretty open minded to games I'm not used to, but I was expecting it to take quite a few hours to click with me, I wasn't expecting to start having fun for a few days. Nope, first match, not having any idea of what I'm doing, it was already a blast.

Learning how to loot quickly (and to move while looting) is key to surviving the later circles (and early hotspots). Anyone standing perfectly still is a very easy headshot and people will be way more tempted to take the shot even if its not in their best interest so always try to move a bit ( you can do this while you loot with the menu )

Also learning what stuff is worth looting is very helpful, if you already have 100+ rounds for your main weapon, just ignore that shit, look for boosters (energy drinks and painkiller), meds (first aid kits) and scopes. Loot quickly and then run away and find cover before you equip stuff. Also make sure you have free space before running and looting because if you have to fiddle with inventory space while looting you are a lot more likely to get shot.

Gbraga

I don't their is any lore that I know as the game expects you to of play or at least know what a battlegrounds game is. As you've seen the blue circle shrinks forcing the play field to get smaller so you'll be more likely to run into people, each circle progressively does more damage as well.

You can check the timer just above you map to see when the circle is due to start shrinking and how far it has traveled so far, you can also check the map.

There is custom servers that might run melee only but the game really isn't suited to it as it is very janky when it comes to melee and the map is pretty darn big. There are other battleground games that have a little more melee focus though.

As for the camera it is whatever suits you, I prefer FPP now but I find 3rd person a little easier to spot people and abuse bushes etc.

Yeah, I did notice how some hiding places are a lot more effective in third person. The moment I switch, I can see even less than whoever I'm trying to kill.

Learning how to loot quickly (and to move while looting) is key to surviving the later circles (and early hotspots). Anyone standing perfectly still is a very easy headshot and people will be way more tempted to take the shot even if its not in their best interest so always try to move a bit ( you can do this while you loot with the menu )

Also learning what stuff is worth looting is very helpful, if you already have 100+ rounds for your main weapon, just ignore that shit, look for boosters (energy drinks and painkiller), meds (first aid kits) and scopes. Loot quickly and then run away and find cover before you equip stuff. Also make sure you have free space before running and looting because if you have to fiddle with inventory space while looting you are a lot more likely to get shot.

Oh, I didn't know you could move while looting, interesting.

I need quite a few more solo matches before I stop being useless, then I'll try duos.

Tovarisc

A m79 thats crate only and spawns with like 5 grenades and takes a primary weapon slot could work. You do not have enough ammo to spam it, it doesnt work at short range (fuse distance) and is reasonably hard to hit at long distance.

Really hope they add another .45 weapon or just remove the tommygun from crates and add it as a world spawn with a smaller 40 round mag.

Otherwise the problem with adding more guns is that they have covered most types of weapons so anything new will just either be better or worse version of an already existing weapon. Maybe some sort of heavier assault rifle like a G3 could find a niche, or a AK-12 for that 2 round super accurate burst.

Well two last weapons they have added are crate only and godtier versions of their world spawns. Groza and Mk14. Juiced up AKM and SKS. More damage / bullet, lower recoil, tighter cones of fire...

I need quite a few more solo matches before I stop being useless, then I'll try duos.

You can also move little bit when using meds and boosters. Helpful if you have reason to think there is hostiles nearby and don't want give them clear headshot when mixing some red bull with pills.

Blizzard

Banned
I was talking with some random squad mates in game, and I feel like this would be a good idea:

Binoculars as a drop that's more common than 4x scopes. Maybe 4x magnification, maybe uses the melee slot. It's kind of silly you can pick up a scope (like 8x) but can't hold it up to your eye and look through it for scouting purposes unless you have a compatible gun. So, binoculars could allow a player to scout for themselves or their squad but not necessarily gain an accuracy advantage.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Well two last weapons they have added are crate only and godtier versions of their world spawns. Groza and Mk14. Juiced up AKM and SKS. More damage / bullet, lower recoil, tighter cones of fire...

Yes thats why they are crates only because they are direct upgrades to existing weapons. The problem is finding other niches for weapons to put in as world spawns that doesn't just override another weapon.

Yeah, I did notice how some hiding places are a lot more effective in third person. The moment I switch, I can see even less than whoever I'm trying to kill.

Id say Duos are much better for practise since you don't die immediately and have someone to talk to and someone to watch if you do die.

Squads are harder for new players since other squads will be coordinated and will easily overwhelm newer players.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
From what I heard they plan on adding a lot more weapons because each map will have different weapons based on location. I believe the desert map is set in the US so expect more US weapons for that. The current map is Soviet so it has a lot of Russian weapons. So on and so forth.

Blizzard

Banned
From what I heard they plan on adding a lot more weapons because each map will have different weapons based on location. I believe the desert map is set in the US so expect more US weapons for that. The current map is Soviet so it has a lot of Russian weapons. So on and so forth.
I know I'm like the last person to realize this, but I saw a random picture of a swimming pool from Chernobyl recently, and the Battlegrounds swimming pool is almost certainly based on that.

Has there been any type of info when the next map is coming out?

I know I'm like the last person to realize this, but I saw a random picture of a swimming pool from Chernobyl recently, and the Battlegrounds swimming pool is almost certainly based on that.

Definitely

swimmingpool-lazurny-chernobyl-12-1024x683.jpg

I was talking with some random squad mates in game, and I feel like this would be a good idea:

Binoculars as a drop that's more common than 4x scopes. Maybe 4x magnification, maybe uses the melee slot. It's kind of silly you can pick up a scope (like 8x) but can't hold it up to your eye and look through it for scouting purposes unless you have a compatible gun. So, binoculars could allow a player to scout for themselves or their squad but not necessarily gain an accuracy advantage.

Yea, my group has talked about this too.

I'd love to see a flare gun introduced, for maximum end game ass-hattery. And it would mean you'd actually have a use for the pistol slot after early-game.

low-G

Pretty sure the giant framework on the military base is based on that giant Russian communications jammer thing they built.

Is the lag a problem with the servers? It doesn't seem to be my connection but every game i play it just constantly lags (on EU). It's pretty much unplayable.

Right, time to vent - I straight up despise the addition of Burst mode to UMPs, simply because I'm so used to clicking once to switch to Full Auto. Land, get a gun first, pursue a guy who is mid-reload and click and hold as if I'd spray a motherfucker down - nope, just a pathetic splutter of 3 bullets.

Hate it hate it hate it.

Bread

Banned
Übermatik;246342614 said:
Right, time to vent - I straight up despise the addition of Burst mode to UMPs, simply because I'm so used to clicking once to switch to Full Auto. Land, get a gun first, pursue a guy who is mid-reload and click and hold as if I'd spray a motherfucker down - nope, just a pathetic splutter of 3 bullets.

Hate it hate it hate it.
what a ridiculous complaint

press the key twice ffs, how have you not gotten used to the change by now.

Hybris

It's not ridiculous. I don't know a single person who uses the burst fire, and they could have easily made burst the 3rd option instead of 2nd. I'm used to it now, but it took a solid 2 weeks of playing to break the habit. Idk how much the poster has played since they changed it, maybe they haven't played much. I know I was cursing that change for a week when it happened. It's just pointless and simple play testing would have shown the high possibility of frustrating existing players.

alexbull_uk

I don’t think it’s that ridiculous tbh. QoL stuff is important to game design and adding extra clicks is rarely a welcome change.

I’d like the option to set a default firing mode personally, so newly picked up weapons are preset to auto for me. I’ve died a few times due to forgetting to change it from semi-auto.

Bread

Banned
I’d like the option to set a default firing mode personally, so newly picked up weapons are preset to auto for me. I’ve died a few times due to forgetting to change it from semi-auto.
I agree there should be a default firing mode, or guns should at least keep the firing mode that was set by the person who used it before.

But it's been like 2 months since they added burst, right?? If you're still dying because you set it to burst and not full auto then it's your fault and it's silly to blame the game for it.

Twookie

they should atleast make it so that the if you by mistake drop your gun and pick it up again that's on the setting it was before you dropped it

I've died a few times because of that

I have no problem making sure my UMP or Vector is full auto but I have always said the sole purpose of the burst modes on the SMGs seems to be to cause people to fuck up.

Podge293

Came second again. Must be 5 in a row of second now. This time was purely down to terrible guns. Last 2 had a kar and m16a. I'm just plain terrible in close combat without automatics

I just had some miserable rounds where at least once a guy ran into my building and caught me while I was loading my shotgun because the door made 0 noise when he opened it.

I mean, I know I'm dumb. It's me stuck in habit, not a fault with the game - I'm just telling you how much I hate it. I'm still not used to it after all this time either!

Tovarisc

Muscle memory can be tricky beast.

After 200h of BG I'm still not used to that ADS is click instead of hold so I often don't ADS when I should. Why? I have played every modern FPS with ADS mechanic since CoD 4 with ADS bound as "Hold RMB" so that is thousands of hours of FPS games hard coding that into muscle memory.

Lender

Omg fuck this. It was me vs another last team in duo's. Switch to my UMP while running in smoke since I'm surrounded for cqc and my clip for some reason is empty. I try reloading but the fucking gun doesn't do anything. Just before I die I notice that my clip is hanging upside down over my gun. Fucking bug cost me a possible win since I could have won this...

alexbull_uk

Omg fuck this. It was me vs another last team in duo's. Switch to my UMP while running in smoke since I'm surrounded for cqc and my clip for some reason is empty. I try reloading but the fucking gun doesn't do anything. Just before I die I notice that my clip is hanging upside down over my gun. Fucking bug cost me a possible win since I could have won this...

I died in the same way yesterday. UMP was randomly empty and it wouldn't let me reload it, so I died.

Wasn't very close to winning though so it didn't sting as much.

Top Bottom