• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms no live E3 presentation this year

I have a feeling that live presentation earlier in the year was them doing a test run to see if they could still pull it off. Honestly, I'd rather another direct after that sloppy presentation.

Shaanyboi

Banned
oh well.

I mean it's a bummer but I understand.

They do better with pre recorded stuff.

Their live shows record is not great.
I mean 2006 and 2010 are generally considered the only really great Nintendo E3s in the past decade with a live show. The Direct format has atleast been way more consistent, with 2015 being the only notable dud since the change.

Lingitiz

I don't think this means they will be doing a Direct like during the Iwata years. It probably means it will be like last year.

I was hoping they would do a conference just like the Switch reveal; that was great.

They had one game to show last year. Do you really believe there will be no reveals from them this year? They're absolutely going to do a Direct.

Nintendo feels so small these days compared to the other presentations, expected but it's a downer.

In 2014 they by far had the best showing and then owned the conversation for the whole week with Treehouse. In 2016 Breath of the Wild was the biggest game of the show despite Nintendo admittedly having an extremely minor presence.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
That's perfectly fine, and I didn't expect a live conference to begin with. Directs + Treehouse are better

Effect

Which was expected. That likely means a Nintendo Direct (or Digital Event or whatever they want to call it for E3) and Treehouse Live all E3 long. Which will be fine.

Splatoon tournament + Digital Event + Treehouse

I mean 2006 and 2010 are generally considered the only really great Nintendo E3s in the past decade with a live show. The Direct format has atleast been way more consistent, with 2015 being the only notable dud since the change.

It was a dud because of the content. It always comes down to the content.

Josh5890

That's fine. I love how they usually do it with the announcements early, and then a full day of Treehouse with going into deeper depth. The funny skits go a long way too.

Completely fine with this. The second digital event (I think it was the second one) was really well done. Just repeat that except with more announcement and maybe add like 10-20 more minutes to it.

18-Volt

Are there even a Nintendo executive speaking English as good as Iwata anyway? I think remaining chance of this happening gone with Iwata's passing.

emb

Bummer. Their presentation earlier this year was so on point (outside of the 3rd party stuff), I was hoping we might get to see something like it again for E3.

Guess it's to be expected though.

Seems like Nintendoland fireworks will forever be the way they ended their press conference legacy

Their E3 press conference legacy, yes. But their last live presser was the Switch presser in January of this year, live from Japan, with shitty translators who clearly weren't briefed on the content. It was a mess.

Expected, and honestly, just do what you did with the latest direct but bigger, and you're good!

For real, the new format (at least in NA, they spoiled the headlines more in the other regions) was incredible, the pacing was outstanding as well.

Do that, keep the headlines in teaser form rather than spoiling them, bring the new content, and you're golden.

This is to be expected. Nintendo Directs are far cheaper to produce and have less translation issues, due to the fact that most of Nintendo's devs are Japanese. Nintendo seems to no longer be beholden to the E3 schedule, and that's fine by me.

Obviously game journos are going to bitch because the faster paced directs are harder to cover/liveblog, plus they don't get free swag that Sony and MS give them. Plus they have to watch on the web just like us gamer peasants.

massoluk

Banned
The bearable parts of the Switch presentation were the pre-recorded ones, so yeah

Something probably sounds nice in planning, but actually terrible when live, like how they tossed Zelda to Reggie to Miyamoto to Aonuma to Kamishima then hanged there for a few minutes before actually going to trailer.

Azuran

Banned
Good. I don't want to hear a bunch of marks and paid plants cheering about every little thing like it's the greatest thing ever made.

I guess I'm one of the select few that misses the spectacle of the live presentation, sales talk included.

At least last year's Chicken-Robot style presentation was cool, looking forward to more of their creative stuff.

Robot Chicken was like 2014 dude. Last year Nintendo didn't have any sort of presentation, just Zelda and Treehouse.

The Giant

Banned
Awesome. I love the Digital Event + Treehouse Live combo. Hopefully this year they use Rick and Morty for the Digital Event.

gamerMan

After the disaster that was the Switch reveal, this is a Godsend. That presentation killed the Switch's momentum. I almost didn't get one.

J@hranimo

Banned
That's fine. The Digital Event + Treehouse E3 Coverage format has been working well the past few years. None of the fluff, all the games.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Good. Pre-recorded events are more entertaining.

iXqdBoG.gif

Neoxon

Not surprising, considering that they're gonna do that Splatoon 2 tournament at E3.

Hopefully they hit this Digital Event out of the park.

To me, live press conferences have always been reserved for the major players in the industry.

Agreed. Nintendo these days is in the periphery of the industry. I don't know that their relatively niche product line-up is well served by the "get hype" sort of atmosphere expected from a live event.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Thank You.

This is fine. Just roll on with the Direct and Treehouse

This is totally fine. I love the Direct format and it is entirely preferential to me.

Yep I knew it a Digital Event. All they have to do is follow the formula of this last Nintendo Direct. Great pacing with content.

Personally prefer their Directs.

So I'm happy

Woop woop! Nintendo Direct stays winning. It's such a clearly superior format, especially when you consider how rough that live Switch reveal was.

Cannot wait. Hype thrusters, engage!

All I want is a steady stream of game announcements. The Nintendo Digital Event will deliver that just fine.

Good. The Direct format is so much better.

Honestly I enjoy their Directs way more than the live shows. They absolutely killed it in 2014.

Good, Nintendo has rarely produced a live stage show that wasn't awkward as fuck. This is primarily a Japanese company. They can actually have developers talk without translator delays with prerecorded shows.

I much prefer the E3 directs to having nervous middle aged men babbling on a stage.

Good, I like the E3 directs, and especially the Treehouse events.

Fine by me. Roll all that beautiful game footage and then give me Treehouse goodness afterward.

I'm fine with Nintendo Directs, they're very creative when it comes to that.

That's perfectly fine, and I didn't expect a live conference to begin with. Directs + Treehouse are better

Which was expected. That likely means a Nintendo Direct (or Digital Event or whatever they want to call it for E3) and Treehouse Live all E3 long. Which will be fine.

That's fine. I love how they usually do it with the announcements early, and then a full day of Treehouse with going into deeper depth. The funny skits go a long way too.

Completely fine with this. The second digital event (I think it was the second one) was really well done. Just repeat that except with more announcement and maybe add like 10-20 more minutes to it.

Good, the direct format works better for them.

I'm happy to hear this news. I much prefer the digital events to live conferences.

LOL @ these responses.

This is like the equivalent of saying "well, I didn't want to go out with that hot girl anyway!".

Nintendo giving up on being a major player in the industry isn't something people should be excited about.

edit: aaaaaand last post on the page GODDAMN IT

Top Bottom