• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Iron Fist |OT| Hi-yahh - March 17th on Netflix

ramparter

Banned
C614pzuV0AAErkW.jpg

"I AM NOT A VIRGIN! MANY WOMEN HAVE BEEN TOUCHED!"

Now I start to think he may actually be.

TheOddOne

- Complex UK: 'Iron Fist' Is Too Rich And White For Me to Give A Sh*t.
That's not to say the show is without highlights. Jessica Henwick's take on Colleen Wing is intriguing to see, even if she's a somewhat reluctant ally of Danny Rand's in the first chunk of the series. She has one particularly dope battle where she gets to let her rougher skills come to the surface, but without the proper storyline, she ends up becoming a sidekick with no forseeable motivation. Also, kudos to Carrie-Anne Moss and Rosario Dawson for resurrecting their MCU roles (lawyer Jeri Hogarth and nurse Claire Temple, respectively) for this series, but at times it feels like this was done solely to show how interconnected these larger characters are for future reveals.
- Vulture: Netflix’s Iron Fist Is a Tedious, Unremarkable Bummer.
You’ve probably also heard that Iron Fist is a big bag of Orientalist clichés. This is true. It’s far from the worst of its kind, but coming on the heels of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, both of which took greater risks with both style/mood and cultural point of view, the show feels like a regression. Jones is likable enough that you can’t despise his character, but Danny is still a young white guy’s fantasy about the mystical awesomeness of Asian religion and martial arts.

And the character’s casually entitled attitude makes his posturing more irritating. Picture Bruce Wayne without the cowl and gadgets, or Doctor Strange without the spells, then add an indestructible fist and the demeanor and accent of a trust-fund bro who went to Pepperdine: That’s Danny. He explains and demonstrates “Eastern” practices with the puppy-dog eagerness of guy who spent a week in Thailand and wants everyone to know it totally changed his life.
- Daily Beast: The ‘Iron Fist’ White Savior Controversy: Creator and Stars Respond to the Backlash.
On the issue of casting, Buck says he wasn’t aware of fans’ calls for a nonwhite lead until after Jones was cast—despite early reports that Marvel and Netflix did meet with several Asian American actors, before ultimately deciding to keep Danny white.

“To me it was just about finding the best actor for that,” says Buck. “It wasn’t until after we cast Finn that I became aware that there had been, you know, some controversy over that.”

“I understood where it was coming from,” he says, “but we just weren’t thinking in that way, at least I certainly wasn’t. I was just concentrating on the story and who would be a great actor to play this character.”

Has anybody asked Feige abput the thrashing this show is getting? A LOT of folks still seem to think tv and film divisions are integrated and talk as if they are one.

I'll eventually make my way through this, maybe really spread out the pain. I hope to hear the second half is better. There's so much TV on right now and so many games that I don't know how to fit this in if it's truly bad.

Sanctuary

You don't cast non-actors for leading roles unless you're intentionally setting out to make a B-movie.

He's as much of an "actor" as JCVD ever was. He's also way more inventive and accomplished with his martial arts.
Sidenote: It's Adkins, not Atkins like the diet.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...-this-generations-greatest-unsung-action-star

Not really sure how one can watch Undisputed 2 and ignore his charisma either. The only reason someone like Schwarzenegger gets the time of day now is because of how big he was in the 80s and 90s, not because he's more than a B-movie actor himself.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'll watch one episode. If I like it, I'll continue. I'm used to disagreeing with the consensus. If I hate it....bye bitch.

What would be the most effective way to show Netflix data crunchers they done fucked up ?

-Watch half an episode and stop
-Not watch it at all despite having watched all the Marvel TV series
-Watch, stop, start again and stop again

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh this is up earlier because US is already on daylight saving heh.

Intro reminds me of SF4, terrible music tho.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What would be the most effective way to show Netflix data crunchers they done fucked up ?

-Watch half an episode and stop
-Not watch it at all despite having watched all the Marvel TV series
-Watch, stop, start again and stop again

Just watch it and form an opinion for yourself dude, then if you dont like it, dont watch anymore. Its not rocket science.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just watch it and form an opinion for yourself dude, then if you dont like it, dont watch anymore. Its not rocket science.

Indeed.

I don't really have high hopes for this but I'll watch it and see if I agree or disagree with the reviewers. Don't just blindly hate the show because you want it to fail.

Kard8p3

Am I crazy here, or is this some bad camera work in the first ep?

19~ ish minutes in
After Danny talks with Big Al and before he talks to Joy, you get a camera panning down a street, looking at cars, shit not only seems shaky as all hell, but it really looks like you can see someone start to pick it up before it cuts away lol

Top Bottom