• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm on Route B of Nier: Automata and I've completely lost interest

Ok, it seems I got the endings vs playthroughs confused. My apologies. From what I heard is there are 26 different endings and you have to play through the beginning parts of the game everytime you playthough the game to get the different endings. If that isn't the case and you only play though it 3 times, fine, but it doesn't seem like a game that really needed 3 different playthroughs.

On a gameplay perspective, it seems mediocre at best with even the most diehard people saying the gameplay is repetitive and boring after the initial first couple of hours of starting the game.

Like I said, I don't see why this game has blown up the way it has, because it looks as generic as any other 3rd person semi jrpg character action game out there.

You're still wrong. Only B has repeated content, but also has new gameplay, new story sections, new plot revelations, and new sidequests. Route C is the sequel to AB.

Also I've put over 80 hours across two times playing this game and I never got tired of it. I actually want to replay it again before the year ends. It's my 3rd favorite game of all time.

LotusHD

Banned
Also I've put over 80 hours across two times playing this game and I never got tired of it. I actually want to replay it again before the year ends. It's my 3rd favorite game of all time.

Played it twice so far, within like a month, something I literally have never done before. (Though it did help that replaying the game lets you see things from a different PoV, keeping it somewhat fresh) And even now, I'm already thinking of replaying it once more this year. Sheesh...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Like I said, I don't see why this game has blown up the way it has, because it looks as generic as any other 3rd person semi jrpg character action game out there.

I honestly don't think there's anything quite like it, apart from its immediate predecessor.

"Generic" suggests its just another character action game whereas ironically one of the reasons some people have issues with Route B is it relegates "stylish combat" to a secondary role behind a new set of mechanics that are even more powerful.

labx

Banned
Route B and beyond are bad. I felt the same way.

You are wrong.

OP rush trough the main quest with 9S. Route C and D are worth the "grind" and you will witness one of the best video games of recent years.

pd: route C open up Chapter select.

Rosstimus

Banned
You can finish route B in 5 hours if you speed through the story content. Sure, much of it is the same as A, but you'll get to see an interesting new perspective on some of the game's scenarios. Without spoiling anything, it's very much worth getting to route C.

eshwaaz

I got endings A through E and a few other scattered endings, but I did not love the game as so many others did. It had its moments, but there was plenty I did not like, and none of the big story moments hit me as hard as I was expecting.

killatopak

I'm honestly quite surprised the game reviewed as well as it did, considering some of the glaring flaws it has and how idiosyncratic many of its elements are.

There are a lot games I'm surprised about the score as well but you have to remember a score is the sum of all of the game's parts. While you may find that it's currently lackluster for you, the parts that you haven't played yet, redeemed the game so much that it brought the score as high as it did.

You really need to get to route C and finish all main endings.

The hacking is the worst thing I had to do in a video game in 2017
That one tower robbed a lot of energy from me.

OP, usually I‘d say if you don‘t like a game, drop it and play something else, but it gets a lot better and is pretty rewarding. You haven‘t seen shit yet. Route C is basically the sequel, lol.

People felt the same way about B in Gestalt and RepliCant too. I think it's something Taro needs to figure out how to make it different enough to make it interesting for people if he's doing the whole "from another perspective" thing.

Maybe with a larger budget, the next game could have a different format altogether or maybe it could be a larger mix of new and old content but with new gameplay mechanics.

Arkeband

Banned
You should be breezing through Route B with the way stats and weapons scale, and with already knowing where to go and what to do. There's brand new story scenes injected and it skips a giant chunk of stuff you've already played (where the two are seperated).

But most importantly, C is completely brand new.

All endings except A-E are joke endings that only kick you back to the title screen and are permanently registered on your save file, you just load back up your game to pick up where you left off.

I didn't really care for 9S until I finished Route B, then suddenly he became my favorite character. His voice actor did an amazing job.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Equip a high damage spear with crit. And just toss them for days. Burns through stuff fast and gets the route over with quickly

I completely Disagree with this. some of the best quest were in Route B. add so much to main story.

It's all about the narrative value. Not that that really excuses the design being lacking, but yea, that's normally my main hook regarding sidequests in most games, because I often find them to not be very rewarding/ingenious in terms of gameplay.

What gets me is so many other games manage to maintain narrative value without relying so heavily on fetch quests and such as a crutch. The earlier point about the gameplay having trouble sustaining itself is I think the big thing here. When the main story as it is already has issues with repetition and dragging in places, it's tough to muster up the willpower to do quests that aren't nearly as fun and have the same problems.

I think that's a big part of why at the end of the day I have such mixed feelings about the game. I really wish it resonated with me more than it did. It frustrates me so much that I hear so many of the most interesting parts of the world and story are locked behind such dully designed sidequests.

I also wonder if the tone of the narrative just wasn't for me. I think my issue with the game, at least in the main story, is that it touches upon dozens of themes that are interesting in themselves, but it rarely really goes into many of them beyond the surface level. It was hard to provoke my thoughts when it felt like the game was throwing so much at me and not really giving each of them enough to land. I just found by the end of it I wasn't nearly as "whoa mind blown" as a lot of other people were. The above point about things being very "backloaded" is very true too. It was kind of a downer that the game holds a lot back at the beginning, then suddenly explodes with stuff going at you from everywhere, and then once that finally gets going, it was basically over. I dunno. I still enjoyed my time with the game but I felt it had a lot really holding it back from me truly falling in love with it as much as other people did.

I guess this post kinda became a rant. I dunno, I just have so much conflicting thoughts going around my head surrounding the game and I think a lot of the design aspects really let things down.

Hektor

Please point out all those other games that jump from character action to bullet hell to sidescroll shooter fluidly in a matter of minutes while incorporating a haunting and alien soundtrack into a well written story exploring the concept of existence in a way that uses common videogame conventions in a unique way.

You know, maybe you'd see it if you'd know anything about the game which you according to your first post don't do

I don't want to come off as mean, but your first post was legitimately antagonisitc

I loved route B in terms of playing as 9S and the story developments and implications.

Getting to Route C after playing through A and B was amazing since I was trying to avoid spoilers so I was amazed when I finally got it.

The heaviest story content is also loaded into Route C and the in comparison idyllic story of A and a good part of B was a necessary setup.

LotusHD

Banned
That one tower robbed a lot of energy from me.

OP, usually I‘d say if you don‘t like a game, drop it and play something else, but it gets a lot better and is pretty rewarding. You haven‘t seen shit yet. Route C is basically the sequel, lol.

This is literally the only game where I insist that someone should finish it before being quick to judge. Unless they just hate the gameplay, then there's nothing I can do about that. But any story concerns? Yep, just keep playing.

Ferr986

People felt the same way about B in Gestalt and RepliCant too. I think it's something Taro needs to figure out how to make it different enough to make it interesting for people if he's doing the whole "from another perspective" thing.

Route B in Nier 1 was vastly different from Automata. For starters you replayed half the game, and it changed so much, it actually changed the perspective of the story.

It was actually pretty masterful story telling wise, more than what it's done in Automata.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Look, if you're not feeling the gameplay, then quit it right now. It doesn't get better gameplay wise. Just watch the rest of the story on YT and save yourself hours of boredom.

Greedings

Yeah, I adore the game, but I found route B really difficult to get through.
I think they should have had something else between A and B. Even something short just to act as a palette cleanser.

That said, I didn't like 9S at first but grew to like him more during route B.

LotusHD

Banned
What gets me is so many other games manage to maintain narrative value without relying so heavily on fetch quests and such as a crutch. The earlier point about the gameplay having trouble sustaining itself is I think the big thing here. When the main story as it is already has issues with repetition and dragging in places, it's tough to muster up the willpower to do quests that aren't nearly as fun and have the same problems.

I think that's a big part of why at the end of the day I have such mixed feelings about the game. I really wish it resonated with me more than it did. It frustrates me so much that I hear so many of the most interesting parts of the world and story are locked behind such dully designed sidequests.

I also wonder if the tone of the narrative just wasn't for me. I think my issue with the game, at least in the main story, is that it touches upon dozens of themes that are interesting in themselves, but it rarely really goes into many of them beyond the surface level. It was hard to provoke my thoughts when it felt like the game was throwing so much at me and not really giving each of them enough to land. I just found by the end of it I wasn't nearly as "whoa mind blown" as a lot of other people were. The above point about things being very "backloaded" is very true too. It was kind of a downer that once the game felt like it finally got going, it was basically over. I dunno. I still enjoyed my time with the game but I felt it had a lot really holding it back from me truly falling in love with it as much as other people did.

I guess this post kinda became a rant. I dunno, I just have so much conflicting thoughts going around my head surrounding the game and I think a lot of the design aspects really let things down.

I mean, it has narrative value regardless of the sidequests though. Which I'm glad it does, as I don't want another FFXV type situation where none of them are worth doing due to being entirely lacking in that regard.

As for it not clicking with you completely, well, nothing you can do about it. Not everything is for everyone after all.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Route B in Nier 1 was vastly different from Automata. For starters you replayed half the game, and it changed so much, it actually changed the perspective of the story.

It was actually pretty masterful story telling wise, more than what it's done in Automata.

Actually there's far more variance in Automata's route B than in the original Nier's NG+. In the earlier game the whole point is that in gameplay terms it is absolutely 100% the same, just the change of perspective (relative strength, new cs, new VO) casts everything in a different light.

In Automata's route B, you get all that, plus a new set of gameplay mechanics, plus a good chunk of new action scenarios/variants based on those mechanics, and it all functions as a lead in to the events of Route C, which is all new and the best part of the game.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm honestly quite surprised the game reviewed as well as it did, considering some of the glaring flaws it has and how idiosyncratic many of its elements are.

After playing it, I guess I could finally understand this (Though again, sum of its parts and what not), but when people were predicting low numbers in the review thread, they baffled me. Everyone kept saying that all the first Nier needed was good combat (Since story and music was already a lock due to having Taro and Okabe back), and then it'd easily be a success as far as reviewing well. So we get Platinum of all people working on it, the well-received demo, and yet everyone was still so fearful, even the people that actually played the first game. That ultimately Taro's weirdness would just ruin everything. (Which I guess it could have, if not for that PR message lmao) I didn't expect it to be that that high, but the low predictions were amusing as hell.

It's even more surprising how the game kept selling months after release.

I can only assume people got tricked into buying it, or maybe out of curiosity. I know I bought it because of the good word of mouth here on GAF, but the game is average at best.

The entire game has been a horrible chore for me. I take multiple month breaks after only a day or two of playing because it's so frustrating. Whenever I get to ending E it better be so effing amazing that I spontaneously combust.

I mean, it has narrative value regardless of the sidequests though. Which I'm glad it does, as I don't want another FFXV type situation where none of them are worth doing due to being entirely lacking in that regard.

As for it not clicking with you completely, well, nothing you can do about it. Not everything is for everyone after all.

I guess it probably really is just a difference in philosophy. Honestly I'd prefer it if sidequests are something I can tune out or have truly be optional to having a fully well-rounded experience. If there's a game and people are all, "oh, you can't truly grasp the full story unless you do all these repetitive fetch quests", I'll zone out. Games are supposed to be fun, is I think the key thing here. The narrative can be amazing as hell, but if the game itself just can't support it then I really do believe that's a fundamental issue from a design standpoint. I totally get this is something everyone's going to feel different on, and I appreciate that they did try experimenting a bit more with tying everything together, but I'm trying to articulate why it would've been better if the sidequests themselves were just designed tighter.

Of course it's also probably a budget issue as well. The core game world is pretty tight so it's not as if they can have areas or towns that are sidequest exclusive.

At the end of the day, I still totally respect the game and its ambition. I think I just keep focusing on things that could've been better or smoother because I definitely do feel there is room for improvement in places.

Hektor

I can only assume people got tricked into buying it. I know I bought it because of the good word of mouth here on GAF, but the game is average at best.

40dc59dec5a34c392b4e5e792c8ac747--nier-automata-salts.jpg

I probably would have enjoyed the game substantially more if it was a more linear experience. The first time you visit the new areas during Route A were pretty enjoyable, if a bit short in comparison to the open world drudging.

Mifec

Going to start this soon... so what's the best way ? Route A story only or full side quests ?

The sidequests sometimes have really nice stories attached to them which made them worth for me but the execution is a slog and almost burned me out on the game. So be careful of it.

I hope the next game has MUCH MUCH better sidequests if they're afforded more budget.

Catvoca

Banned
Gameplay wise the game doesn't change at all from Route B onwards. So you can continue if you want to see the story through, but otherwise don't bother. It's probably worth seeing C&D, but personally I didn't think it was nearly as interesting as a lot of people here.

LotusHD

Banned

I can only assume people got tricked into buying it.
I know I bought it because of the good word of mouth here on GAF, but the game is average at best.

Yo, it's certainly alright to not like, or even hate a game, but you gotta let the pettiness go already, posts like this are just nonsense. But then again, you managed to get banned in your own thread for weirdly spreading misinformation, so I should no longer be surprised lol

Bulzeeb

I can understand that, route B felt like a complete chore, it gets better in the last bit and route c/d/e was worth hassle

Ferr986

Actually there's far more variance in Automata's route B than in the original Nier's NG+. In the earlier game the whole point is that in gameplay terms it is absolutely 100% the same, just the change of perspective (relative strength, new cs, new VO) casts everything in a different light.

In Automata's route B, you get all that, plus a new set of gameplay mechanics, plus a good chunk of new action scenarios/variants based on those mechanics, and it all functions as a lead in to the events of Route C, which is all new and the best part of the game.

Well I was talking story wise. Gameplay wise yeah Automata has more variety in route B (although to me was for the worse, didn't like the 1 button focus of 9S).

Story wise you don't get as much story variance than in Nier 1 , especially when you see how the new stuff really don't add much compared to what's added in Nier 1 NG+ IMO

At the end they go for different things, Route B doesn't pretend to be Nier 1 NG+, so it's not comparable.

True Fire

This game is what you make it. If you keep doing things you hate and make it a miserable experience then you're not going to like it.

Route B can be condensed into a 5 hour boss rush. The only annoying part is the beginning when you have to gather random crap, and the factory when you have to jump around as a robot.

Arkeband

Banned
Are the environments different or are you just doing new things in the same old places?

There are a handful of new areas and old areas change.

This game is what you make it. If you keep doing things you hate and make it a miserable experience then you're not going to like it.

Route B can be condensed into a 5 hour boss rush. The only annoying part is the beginning when you have to gather random crap, and the factory when you have to jump around as a robot.

That segment was brilliant and there are a few scenes later that refer back to it.

Izuna

Banned
Eh, you can finish the game pretty quick if you just mainline it. Doing a 100% run took me like 80 hours, but I play pretty slow. Probably more like 50-60 hours for most people.

What the fuck, wow. Are the side stuff relatively important for the story?

Yo, it's certainly alright to not like, or even hate a game, but you gotta let the pettiness go already, posts like this are just nonsense. But then again, you managed to get banned in your own thread for weirdly spreading misinformation, so I should no longer be surprised lol

I don't mean in a offensive way. You guys never told me I had to replay the game to finish it for real. I was only told the game had a good story and combat, two big lies in my opinion, since the story is locked behind playthroughs and the combat is very repetitive and simplistic.

But yes, Nier did get me banned and I should leave this thread before I get banned again lol. Bye!

eXistor

Route B was definitely bit of a slog being so similar to route A. It's definitey worth it to see the rest of the game though, shit gets bananas.

Top Bottom