• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells 181.000 units in Spain (soon 205.000)

Jack cw

Impressive numbers for Spain. I'm still amazed that a country where the target demographic has a 50% rate of unemployment, pull such numbers. Should be more or less the same in mainland EU by now.

Impressive numbers for Spain. I'm still amazed that a country where the target demographic has a 50% rate of unemployment, pull such numbers. Should be more or less the same in mainland EU by now.

It has a 50% rate of young unemployment. The overal rate of unemployment is 25%. There is also a lot of underground economy, so people still have to queue at Apple Store when a new iPhone is launched, there is plenty of people on malls, etc.

Caronte

It has a 50% rate of young unemployment. The overal rate of unemployment is 25%. There is also a lot of underground economy, so people still have to queue at Apple Store when a new iPhone is launched, there is plenty of people on malls, etc.

Yeah, I bet they are the same people.

Jack cw

Well, overall are also people who are not really into gaming, so the regular male from 18-40 is in that 75% of employment and might be the one who can afford an apple device too. Regardless of this, Spanish people seem to be confident and spend their money on consoles as it seems. <3 Spain.

Majmun

15:1 is crazy

Especially when you consider Ps4's supply issues. The X1 demand seems to be abysmally low.

See the wonders of Kinect as a differentiating experience MS?

You see what happens?

lebowski_stranger.jpg

Xater

S¡mon;99091346 said:
He also says that he thinks PS4 would have sold 250,000 units if the supply was there.

That's the story of pretty much every EU country at this point. It could sell more if the supply was there.

Kimppis

Okay, 15:1 is pretty crazy, but is anyone really surprised? Xbox fans got their system at launch, which means that the gap will just widen, everywhere. This is just the beginning. And there's nothing MS can do. It's the return of the king. Xbone's price is higher, the hardware is weaker and the brand almost worthless vs. PlayStation outside the US... not to mention shitty entertainment/TV/sports options outside 'murica.

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if we see PS2 vs. OG Xbox situation outside the US (and maybe the UK)... or even worse. Atleast OG Xbox was a BEAST, with clearly better online service.

bud23

The unemployment rate it´s terrible, that´s true, but reality is different. When people talk about the current economic situation in Spain, they tend to ignore how big the country's black economy is. You would be amazed to know how deep the rabbit hole goes. Things are not as bad as they seem.

And yes, PS4/One ratio is abysmal. Welcome to Sony-land.

DBT85

That's the story of pretty much every EU country at this point. It could sell more if the supply was there.

Not just EU. Pretty much every country, except New Zealand where they are making PS4 Forts from the unsold stock.

ec0ec0

I knew it, you knew it: THE PS2 IS BACK.

(In the future, i may be the only person in spain without one... thats what happened with the ps2)

15-1 jaja thats funny.

It is dire, but there are a lot of people in Spain and there is always someone willing to spend money for entertainment.

No to mention that at least to my knowledge entertainment doesn't really suffer that much during recessions. People want to forget their real life shit at least for a short moments.

Loudninja

US:
PS4: 2 million
Xbox One:1,817,000

UK:
PS4: 530,000
Xbox One: 364,000

Spain:
PS4:181,000 *updated*
Xbox One:35,000

France:
PS4:240k
Xbox One:126k

AU:
Xbox One:65,917*first 3 days*

Germany:
PS4: 250K
Xbox One: 100K

Portugal
PS4:21k

kmax

Europe is going to be a tough nut to crack for MS this gen. They need to build a strong relationship with their European market, much like Sony have been doing for years.

Tiering countries, introducing a weaker and a more expensive console than the favorite, and including an unnecessary camera isn't really going to entice the majority, especially in Europe.

RalchAC

For what I've seen, there is plenty of PS4 stock here (Alicante, 350.000 habitants). The Christmas sales were rather good, but I think they have slowed quite a bit during January. I've went to Media Market, GAME and Carrefour and I've found PS4s in all of them. X1 too, obviously. There is stock in Amazon.es too, Gamestop.es and Game.es

I haven't seen a single add in the last few weeks. Maybe they'll start spending money on marketing once Infamous is released and sales will improve in March. But people's wallets are probably exausted right now. January is always a bad month and economy doesn't help. Those new 20.000 consoles will probably last for some time.

Acidote

I told you guys in several threads that this time it was going to be even more brutal than last gen and that a 5:1 ratio was easily coming. That 15:1 ratio is scary though.

One thing to consider is that Sony is fucking up the stock somehow with chain stores, as there is stock of PS4 in lots of places while in my zone it has been sold out since launch.

Alchemist

Remember when a few of the Xbox loyalists were saying the FIFA pack-in would help Microsoft gain market share in Europe?

Crazy how much XBO has been pushed here in comparison to the PS4 and the sales aren't even close.

Raytow

Remember when a few of the Xbox loyalists were saying the FIFA pack-in would help Microsoft gain market share in Europe?

Crazy how much XBO has been pushed here in comparison to the PS4 and the sales aren't even close.
I keep seeing XBO ads in La Liga matches, they are sure working Microsoft...

Top Bottom