• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

Rlan

To celebrate the new year, I've accidentally made a bunch of new work for myself... by setting up a Sonic blog.

Sonic The Hedgeblog

tumblr_static_7o7c9pmt6ggswgww48kwkssw0.png

I own a ton of Sonic stuff and have posted a lot of Sonic artwork across my other blogs (Video Games Art Archive & Old Game Mags) so this'll be a place to post that stuff, as well as other funny bits and pieces I'll find in my collection, old Secrets of Sonic Team stuff, commercial GIFs and more.

Basically I'm a big fan of the Supper Mario Broth blog, and I'd like to do something similar, but for Sonic & Sega stuff,

I'm sure you guys'll love it. Also, follow the twitter!

So there's a mod (well, a collection of mods, really) that will restore the original Dreamcast maps and textures to the 2003 PC release of Sonic Adventure DX and the results are pretty fuckin' striking

P8ifzL6.png

I4ZryTJ.png

Given proper lighting and the Dreamcast version's original, lusher color palette (bottom), the game looks ten times better than vanilla SADX.

I genuinely had a dream last night that I inadvertently purchased Jak 2 on the vita when planning to click on something else next to it (apparently dream version of the PS store is 1 click buy), I was heavily lamenting losing £8 on that miserable game.

Fortunately I woke up and the only Jak2 is on my PS3.

I genuinely had a dream last night that I inadvertently purchased Jak 2 on the vita when planning to click on something else next to it (apparently dream version of the PS store is 1 click buy), I was heavily lamenting losing £8 on that miserable game.

Fortunately I woke up and the only Jak2 is on my PS3.

People on GAF still try and give Jak 2 praise. Those same people are MARKS.

So there's a mod (well, a collection of mods, really) that will restore the original Dreamcast maps and textures to the 2003 PC release of Sonic Adventure DX and the results are pretty fuckin' striking

Really does look so much better, holy crud. The models in SADX all have this obnoxious shiny waxy look to them.

In general I sort of miss the original models from the DC version. Sonic in particular actually looks closer to his classic self than a lot of people realize.

sonicsm.jpg

Make the eyes not green, and he'd basically look like Classic Sonic just a bit taller and with curved spines, which I'd argue looks better for a 3D game where the camera trails behind the characters.

WillyFive

P8ifzL6.png

I4ZryTJ.png

Given proper lighting and the Dreamcast version's original, lusher color palette (bottom), the game looks ten times better than vanilla SADX.

I want it.

I want it.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/sadx-dreamcast-conversion/news/first-release-read-this

It can be a little tricky to set up. Here's some of the hoops I had to jump through:

1. The SADX Mod Manager demands the North American version of SADX PC 2003. I thought that's the one I was using, but according to the developer behind the Mod Manager, even though it was in English it was probably a UK copy of the game. So I had to get that sorted out.
  2. Though the Dreamcast Conversion install guide links to the Palette Lighting mod's Github/whatever, you actually should visit the Sonic Retro forum page it also links because it needs a special d3d8 DLL that isn't included as part of the Palette Lighting Mod build (but is linked in the Sonic Retro thread)
  3. I also wanted to use this with something called "Sonic Adventure DX: Fixed Edition," which is sort of an unofficial patch for SADX, so you need to understand the mod load order. SonicGMI (for Sonic Generations) loads from the bottom up, but SADX Mod Manager seems to load from the top down, so mods at the top of the list load before mods at the bottom. In other words, SADXFE needs to be at the top of the list and Dreamcast Conversion at the bottom. (That way the mod manager loads SADXFE first, then Dreamcast Conversion gets applied over the top of it)
  4. Also, if you're using an Xbox 360 controller (or derivative), the Input Mod handles any controller problems you might have with the 2003 PC release of SADX.

Piers

Make the eyes not green, and he'd basically look like Classic Sonic just a bit taller and with curved spines, which I'd argue looks better for a 3D game where the camera trails behind the characters.

Actually wonder if they curved Sonic's quills for that exact reason: to give him a more pronounced look when seeing him from behind. If they were short like his classic look, you'd mostly just seeing these odd, circular protrusions, perhaps. (Although this quirk occurs anyway with how Sonic looks in Unleashed onwards)

In retrospect something that did occur to me years ago when playing through SADX is how smart Super Sonic's redesign was; his jagged quills may have looked fine from the side but likely didn't translate well from behind. As such it was spread outwards from his head, so you effectively had the 2D look of his quills, but now from the front/back of him.

Which is probably why it bummed out me out how Shadow was quite literally a texture edit of Super Sonic, and the latter was resulting changed to just curving his quills up in this weird banana-like fashion.

Tizoc

Ive always said i would never replay jak 2
However in the name of giving games proper judgement i want to replay it just to give it proper criticism from me

Also after some contemplation ive found sonic boom 2 to be my 3ds goty 2016
I really enjyed it fr its simplicity and short lemgth

CoryCubed

Probably a website error, but when I was looking at my achievements on Xbox One, I noticed Sonic Generations did not have the Xbox 360 logo bar. Could it be coming for Xbox One or at least backwards compatibility? It is solely the main game image like Xbox One main titles. If I click it, it goes to an error page.

7ceryOw.png

Ooops! What happened to this page?
We’ve moved some things around.

The page you are looking for may have a new location, or is no longer available. You might want to:

Start again from the homepage.
Check that you are using the website for your country or region.

Ceej

HUH. I always wondered why I preferred the DC original over DX, never took a direct comparison. It's like they just decided to suck away all the atmosphere in DX.

HUH. I always wondered why I preferred the DC original over DX, never took a direct comparison. It's like they just decided to suck away all the atmosphere in DX.

I'm doing up a video as an install guide/comparison for SADX and the Dreamcast mod, and I can also tell you that SADX very slightly breaks a lot of things and is in general a worse overall experience

For example, I tweeted this video:

https://twitter.com/BlazeHedgehog/status/817015569358737408

They added extra pauses between certain actions, Eggman's not positioned correctly during the zoom-up shot, when he spies the Chaos Emerald the framing graphic isn't aligned with Tails properly, and then when Eggman steals the emerald, in the DX version, this happens to Tails for one frame:

C1cBjLiUsAAjA_J.jpg

For being a "Director's Cut" SADX subtly breaks a lot more than it fixes, I think. And it's become the defacto version of the game!

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/01/16/sonic-subcriptions-disappear-from-archie-web-store/

Things aren't looking good for the Sonic comic.

Y'all ever buy Sonic toys or statues? If so, is there a good quality Metal Sonic one that's readily available?

"Readily available" is probably the term to get hung up on here. There was a fairly nice Metal Sonic "action figure" that's about 10" tall that was selling a few years ago for like, $25. Nowadays it goes for something like $60+ on Ebay. I got lucky and found one at a local thrift store for $2. He's pretty nice looking, but some of his joints feel a little loose. Still sturdy enough to stand without needing anything to prop him up, though.

(The eyes don't light up, I just used long-time exposure and a laser pointer on that last image)

Y'all ever buy Sonic toys or statues? If so, is there a good quality Metal Sonic one that's readily available?

The one Blazehedgehog posted is probably your best bet, and it's a great figure.

If you wanted to shell out some cash for a more sturdy and collector's piece, First Four Figures did a Metal Sonic statue a few years back. It goes for 350 on ebay, so definitely not a cheap option. It's also, IMO, an odd cast of Metal...Something a little off.

The statues themselves are incredibly solid pieces. I don't have this one specifically, but the few F4Fs I do have are really great pieces that hold their value and look and feel great.

Uzumaki Goku

I just completed a retrospect of Sonic 1-4. (I'll be doing the 3D Sonic games later this year)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biltl_G1YOs&t=1s

Although as I look back, there were things I could've done better. Somehow I mistook Spring Yard Zone as Spring Valley Zone. And I said "coins" instead of "rings". (Guess I just had Mario on the brain) There are things I think I could've done better, my Sonic 2, I made the mistake of assuming you couldn't scroll up after looking up. Sonic 3 & Knuckles review, I felt like I didn't go into enough about how why it was my favorite Sonic game ever made and Sonic 4... I honestly didn't have much to say about it..... Sonic 4 doesn't really feel like a sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, just a remake of Sonic 1 and 2.

Village

eVEN if it ended, Ian wrote some great fun stories.
Hope he gets to expand into other series/work though, I really like his writing when it is at its best.

I think he's good at character to character.
I don't think the reboot has been good though. The reboot as a whole is an unfinished mess, and the only fished part of that mess isn't really that interesting, and seems like it took away from finishing other parts of it. I would like him , or to see him write on characters more, world building might not be his bag. Unfinished promises galore.

Rlan

Well looks like the Sonic comic's death might be greatly exaggerated for now.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #294

"Memories": Sonic reminisces with his buddies Mighty and Ray, but Sonic and Mighty disagree on how they met. Can their friendship survive their egos’ revisions? Then in “Baking Bad,” Bunnie and Antoine put their competitive cooking skills to the test! Featuring cover art by Tyson Hesse and a “Kooky Kitchen variant" by Jennifer Hernandez!

SONIC UNIVERSE #97

"Freedom Fighters" Part Three: Amy Rose and Cream join Sally Acorn as they seek the components needed to repair Nicole’s systems, but during their quest an old adversary reemerges! Featuring cover art by Jamal Peppers and a "Sonic and the Freedom Fighters variant" by Tyson Hesse!

Nice SegaSonic Arcade reference, and Sonic Jam cover reference!

TimmiT

Well looks like the Sonic comic's death might be greatly exaggerated for now.

Not necessarily. Buying a subscription from Archie means you get 12 issues. There no longer being a Sonic subscription means that it could end within the next 12 issues, doesn't mean it'll end immediately.

My friends got wind of this spotify business and mentioned it to me, now I'm having to hold back on making a bazillion Sonic suggestions to their uninformed selves who only go as far as Sonic Adventure 2.

Top Bottom