• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Switch releases November 10

usctrojan

yup. ive tried it on several games and while i love it on splatoon it only works when plugged into the TV (good point, spiderman guy).

But when the screen is attached its just too weird rotating a screen with controllers connected to it and DOOM is sooooo frantic. One of the fastest shooters ever. I cant imagine it would be as solid as with traditional controls.

edit: also: not a dig. i think weve come so far. remember gyro on PS3 launch? Garbage.
edit2: sounds like a good parody video to make. Super crazy doom action using gyro.

HF2014

Got it for PC and PS4, and grabbing it for Switch! Handheld Doom? Christ, just cant wait to try that out!

Shauni

That's the typical 'myth' to explain low third party sales on Nintendo platforms. I think we saw the same repeatedly on Wii U ("it's missing this, it's missing that" / "it's late" / "it's more expensive"). Most casual gamers won't know about those differences. They want the latest FIFA game with the latest roster.

Also, the Switch version is priced lower.

Sometimes it's just that the users on the system are simply not interested in a game. And that seems to be the case with FIFA 18 on Switch.

Do most casual gamers not have eyes? The difference, in the case of Fifa, is pretty striking. Not to mention wasn't the entire MP gutted? I don't see how you can argue that had no impact considering just how common and expected that is as a feature nowadays

Si2k78

Doom is definitely one of the best fps on the ps4, maybe Titanfall 2. Switch has an absolutely incredible lineup this holiday season. Historical. 2017 fall-holiday on switch is this plus a frickin Mario game:
630x.jpg

My wallet will be in pure pain.

O wow! Looking at that picture just brought back soo many warm and tingly feelings. We’re all those games new relases for that year? My memory escapes me.

Si2k78

Is there a higher quality direct feed than the YouTube video? The graphics look good, but definitely on the blurry side, I wonder if that’s because of YouTube compression, or representative of the final product.

If we count Gran Turismo then it's only fair to include games like Splatoon 2 and Mario + Rabbids, which makes for a much nicer looking lineup.

Ah, I forgot that GT3 came out in Spring of 2001. If you remove it and FFX though, the point still stands for Fall/Winter, which I was referring to. The Switch does have quite a few titles (I'm not one of those "starving for games" people, I actually own quite a few games for the system), but that PS2 2001 Fall/Winter exclusive lineup is something that I don't think will ever be matched again in terms of quantity. The Switch's holiday lineup is nice, but it's certainly not historic.

I want to support 3rd party games on the Switch, but I already have this game sitting on my Steam backlog and $60...will have to think about this some more.

Renna Hazel

Ah, I forgot that GT3 came out in Spring of 2001. If you remove it and FFX though, the point still stands for Fall/Winter, which I was referring to. The Switch does have quite a few titles (I'm not one of those "starving for games" people, I actually own quite a few games for the system), but that PS2 2001 Fall/Winter exclusive lineup is something that I don't think will ever be matched again in terms of quantity. The Switch's holiday lineup is nice, but it's certainly not historical.

It's impressive indeed, and we don't even have to remove FFX.

Zubz

Banned
Wait, the Switch was one of the first games revealed for the system. I'm genuinely surprised Doom's coming out before it; we've only known it was coming for a little over a month.

I'm not complaining, though. I'm definitely in! But I kind of wish Wolfenstein was the one coming out sooner. It sucks we have to wait for 2018.

Laieon

No sale for me then. Splatoon type controls is the only way I'm interested in any console shooter.

Complete opposite here. GAF got me hyped for Splatoon 2 and I ended up picking it up day 1. I think I've put maybe 3-4 hours into it, I don't like the controls at all.

Laieon

So turn the motion controls off and enjoy one of the best games of the year.

I might go back to it eventually but the initial experience soured it for me a bit. Too busy playing Stardew Valley for the first time, Golf Story, and soon Mario and maybe Fire Emblem warriors.

Crayon

This is a great example of a ps4-targeted game being ported to the switch. We can learn a lot about what is and isn't possible on the switch from this.

I'll wait for a price drop. I'm already going to get Fire Emblem Warriors and possibly Mario Odyessy in November. Then Xenoblade has priority over Skyrim and Doom.

Hopefully I'm still interested by the time I finish those games. (Xenoblade is gonna take ages)

Deku89

While I'm not personally interested in it, I'm glad it's there (I might impulse buy if low enough, especially if they add gyro). Way too many games to get right now . . .

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Doom is a lock for me. Working 12-8 means a bit of down time later at night, plus the train back home. This is looking like the most expensive holiday of all time for me when it comes to gaming and that is mostly due to Switch

Doom
Skyrim (never played it)
Mario
2k (waiting for the physical)
BOTW DLC (If it hasn't been delayed)
Nine Parchments
2 More Joy-Cons

and an Xbox One X

Neiteio

DOOM to me feels like a RE4 type of game that I can and will replay like once or twice a year for a decade. I'm extremely happy to pay $60 for that type of experience.
This is exactly how I'd describe DOOM. It's a game you'll get the itch to play again and again. It's just a joy to play.

To those who love Nintendo games for their "game feel," where everything just feels right, and where the focus is on well-crafted mechanics and level design and pacing... DOOM is a must-have addition for your collection.

I also recommend Rocket League when that comes out. One of the best multiplayer games ever. It's kind of crazy two of my favorite PS4 games will soon be portable on Switch.

Doom is a lock for me. Working 12-8 means a bit of down time later at night, plus the train back home. This is looking like the most expensive holiday of all time for me when it comes to gaming and that is mostly due to Switch

Doom
Skyrim (never played it)
Mario
2k (waiting for the physical)
BOTW DLC (If it hasn't been delayed)
Nine Parchments
2 More Joy-Cons

and an Xbox One X
can I borrow a dollar?

Neiteio

Switch pretty much dominated 2017. Looking at my (likely) GotY list, I think two PS4 titles will make the Top 10 (REVII and Evil Within 2, the latter in my top three). The rest will be Switch titles, and one 3DS title.

krumble

Skyrim or Doom?

Doom definitely is ahead as far as want factor

Though I may just wait for both to drop in price, I’ll still be in mario 10th nov

DJwest

Switch pretty much dominated 2017. Looking at my (likely) GotY list, I think two PS4 titles will make the Top 10 (REVII and Evil Within 2, the latter in my top three). The rest will be Switch titles, and one 3DS title.
What are the Switch games in your top 10?

Neiteio

What are the Switch games in your top 10?
The Switch titles currently in my Top 10 are Breath of the Wild (firmly at No. 1), Sonic Mania, Mario + Rabbids, SteamWorld Dig 2, and Golf Story. I expect Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to also make the list. A 3DS game, Metroid: Samus Returns, is also on there. And like I said, PS4 titles REVII and Evil Within 2.

I also loved Nioh (PS4), and Switch titles ARMS, Splatoon 2, Pokken Tournament DX, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Thumper, etc. But I had to draw the line somewhere. I tend to prioritize strong single-player games since they endure longer as memorable experiences. Also didn't want to give the nod to enhanced ports, otherwise Mario Kart would make the list since it's pretty much a perfect game.

I fully expect DOOM and Rocket League to make many Switch owners' GOTY lists if they haven't already played them.

How about you?

DJwest

The Switch titles currently in my Top 10 are Breath of the Wild (firmly at No. 1), Sonic Mania, Mario + Rabbids, SteamWorld Dig 2, and Golf Story. I expect Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 to also make the list. A 3DS game, Metroid: Samus Returns, is also on there. And like I said, PS4 titles REVII and Evil Within 2.

I also loved Nioh (PS4), and Switch titles ARMS, Splatoon 2, Pokken Tournament DX, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Thumper, etc. But I had to draw the line somewhere. I tend to prioritize strong single-player games since they endure longer as memorable experiences. Also didn't want to give the nod to enhanced ports, otherwise Mario Kart would make the list since it's pretty much a perfect game.

I fully expect DOOM and Rocket League to make many Switch owners' GOTY lists if they haven't already played them.

How about you?
I don't have a Switch bro. I asked because I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger on the console. My PS4 backlog is huge too and I have very little time to play. Favorite games so far this year are Persona 5, Resident Evil 7, Wolfenstein TNO, , FF XV, Doom and XCOM2. 3 of those were released last year lol.

Bulzeeb

I wish there were plans for a gyro patch down the line, I am not playing a shooter with dual analog, on the other hand, L.A noire looks interesting control wise and since I've never played the original (even if I have it on PC) I might be buying that instead just for the gyro support

Neiteio

I don't have a Switch bro. I asked because I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger on the console. My PS4 backlog is huge too and I have very little time to play. Favorite games so far this year are Persona 5, Resident Evil 7, Wolfenstein TNO, , FF XV, Doom and XCOM2. 3 of those were released last year lol.
Yeah, this year has been absolutely stacked with great games, on all systems. It's amazing.

If you haven't already played Zelda on WiiU, I'd recommend a Switch for that alone, straight up. I'm sure Odyssey will also be a killer app.

If you liked XCOM2, you'd love Mario + Rabbids. It takes the XCOM gameplay and greatly expands your mobility options (i.e. team jumps to higher terrain and across gaps, dash attacks on enemies with no movement penalty, etc).

If you liked EarthBound and/or the Mario Golf RPGs back in the day (GBC, GBA), I highly recommend Golf Story. I don't normally care about golf, but the gameplay, writing and pacing is so good.

ARMS, Splatoon 2 and Pokken Tournament DX are all highly addictive multiplayer titles. I'm especially surprised by how accessible Pokken is — it looked overwhelming in videos, but in practice it has very simple inputs. Easy to play, tough to master. If you're more of a single-player person, I'd still recommend Splatoon 2 for its story mode.

If you haven't played Mario Kart 8 on WiiU, MK8D is a system-seller in itself. It's been nicely expanded with a true battle mode, extra characters and karts and items, the two-item mode and three-tier drift, and performance boosts. The HD Rumble is top-notch and it plays like a dream in portable mode, and maintains 1080p 60fps when docked.

Just some Switch exclusives I'd recommend. I think you can confidently pull the trigger. It also sounds like you love JRPGS, and if so, I'm sure you'll dig Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The original Xenoblade was considered by some to be a modern-day Chrono Trigger.

As for PS4, which you clearly do have, check out The Evil Within 2 — you may like it even if you didn't like the original. It's a really fantastic game. :)

I’m pretty confident this will drop in price, much as the original iteration did. Skyrim will probably retain its value a lot better, so I’m tempted to make that my November game. Bought it countless times before (360, 360 when my disc scratched, PS4), but the appeal of a portable Skyrim is too great.

Doom will always be there, with an outstanding campaign and an “Okay” multiplayer mode.

Top Bottom