• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

tebunker

Banned
Thanks. I've never had any problem installing protectors on my numerous smartphones myself but never used steam method before.. I will try once more. Will let steam settle next time.

Let me put it this way: I pick up and clean my home before every gaming session.

Right so chances of dust in the air should be slim. Sounds like you clean.

I just installed mine, wiped down the counter, and installed, I had to lift it once for an air bubble that just wouldn't settle but it looks good now.

Best of luck. I was more confused that after the first time having moisture on the screen and not working why do the same thing again? Why not check to see what went wrong.

Also want to chime in that the amFilm looks great but it is far from perfect. It isn't cut 100% perfectly but it sits well enough to protect the screen where it needs it.

Vitacat

Those Waterfield pouches are a bad idea IMO. That zipper running around the opening means potential scratches every time the Switch goes in or out. I never buy camera bags with that sort of design for the same reason. Zippers are fine if the case flips open, but in a pouch design they're bad news waiting to happen.

TBH, seems like the Waterfield stuff is more form than function in general. The reality is that a good $20 case will offer better protection than even the $80 Waterfields. But I get it that some people really want something upscale and leather. I don't doubt the quality of the materials, I just don't think it's a logical choice, not for me at least.

Right so chances of dust in the air should be slim.

its dusty in the air where i live. i have to dust because the air is dusty. the air doesnt stop being dusty after i clean :) we have a lot of green, trees and birds and pollen and dust in general is prominent.

i hate birds so much

I just discovered dock socks on Etsy. Might go for a nice simple black one so I dont feel like I'm playing operation every time I dock the girl.

il_570xN.1209986687_r8bc.jpg

japtor

So this isn't going to be for everyone, but http://imgur.com/a/knFwo

It is mildly padded, but is nice because it can hold two sets of joycons and straps, pro con, my charger and ten foot cable. It also slides in to my back pack that holds my laptop.

Going to keep playing around with the configuration since I have a ton of space in the center.

I like the versatility of it though.

No Complaints for ~$15

I am also going to get a hard case later on once I see more of them take the abuse, and will get one that can hold the dock too so I can use it for more extensive trips.

Here is the Charger I got in case you are in the market.

Cable too.

Finally going to install the amFilm tonight! Woo.
Thanks for the pics, kinda tempted to get the smaller one cause it seems like it might be just enough for the system w/extra joycons laid out. How's the thickness with just them in there?

Actually looking around their stuff a bit now I'm thinking one of these, a bit more my style. The smallest one might barely fit the Switch (which itself is about 9.4" according to Nintendo) while the other two should be more than enough:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7WV7LQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Snowballo

Probably. That's the Japanese "standard type."

From top to bottom:

- "Extra hard", which is still plastic, not glass — Hori doesn't offer a glass protector.
- Anti-fingerprint. Ostensibly super-duper oleophobic...?
- Blue light filter. There are all sorts of theories about why blue light is bad business and can affect sleep. Hori claims it's "easy on the eyes!".
- Standard.

All of these scream gimmick to me. After using a tempered glass protector... there's just no going back, IMO.

Thanks for your help.
What is the tempered glass protector you would suggest?

Snowballo

So after a lot of pages if I got it right, the final suggestion is to go for a tempered glass protector, right?

1. Which one is the best one?
2. If I fail the first attempt will I be able to take it away, clean it and try again?

Thanks.

Vitacat

Amfilm screen protector should be here this week. Anyone noticeable difference when using the touchscreen?

None. The amFilm are among the best screen protectors I've ever used, and I've installed dozens over the years. Well made, includes a good installation kit, and look completely gorgeous when installed properly. Basically looks like the Switch has a beautiful glass screen instead of an easily scratched plastic one, and the touch works perfectly.

So after a lot of pages if I got it right, the final suggestion is to go for a tempered glass protector, right?

1. Which one is the best one?
2. If I fail the first attempt will I be able to take it away, clean it and try again?

Thanks.

1. amFilm sold on Amazon, superb tempered glass kit. There are others that are good as well, but many have had a very positive experience with amfilm, including myself. Rated 5 stars after 1,400+ user reviews -- that says it all.
2. Yes, but don't try to clean one that goes wrong, it won't go well. Plus, you get 2 in the kit above, just in case the first one goes badly.

Highly recommend that you read up on good installation technique if you're not very experienced. i.e. steamy bathroom technique, hinge method etc. Working in a clean, particle free environment is critical to getting an ideal installation without dust, bubbles etc.

Snowballo

Highly recommend that you read up on good installation technique if you're not very experienced. i.e. steamy bathroom technique, hinge method etc. Working in a clean, particle free environment is critical to getting an ideal installation without dust, bubbles etc.

Thanks for your reply.
I've checked and these are both available on Amazon.it

AMFILM

ORZLY

So you'd go for the first one right?

Where can I find installing instruction in this thread (steamy bathroom technique, hinge method etc)? Thanks so much

chooch81

I installed the nintendo protector that came with the official case. If i was to remove this to stick on the tempered glass, what would be the best way to removed the old one?

Genio88

I just discovered dock socks on Etsy. Might go for a nice simple black one so I dont feel like I'm playing operation every time I dock the girl.

il_570xN.1209986687_r8bc.jpg

There is no need to apply those things, which in my opinion are so ugly compared to the standard dock design, you just need to cut 2 straps of microfiber cloth, and 2 of double sided tape, and stick them into the dock on the 2 rails that Switch display touchs when you dock/undock it, that's enough, doing that the screen won't be touching hard plastic anymore

tebunker

Banned
Thanks for the pics, kinda tempted to get the smaller one cause it seems like it might be just enough for the system w/extra joycons laid out. How's the thickness with just them in there?

Actually looking around their stuff a bit now I'm thinking one of these, a bit more my style. The smallest one might barely fit the Switch (which itself is about 9.4" according to Nintendo) while the other two should be more than enough:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7WV7LQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thickness is okay. What you'd expect with a switch a thin layer of padding and some controllers sitting on top. I am still playing with the configuration and whether or not I want to travel with pro con which adds considerable bulk. While I am glad I went with the larger pouch, I think a smaller one would work better if I wanted to travel with less.

Looking at the link you posted I think i made a huge mistake. Hah! I like that bag a lot too. Switch should fit inside that just perfectly. Looks like itd make for a really good travel option.

Mdk7

Thanks for your reply.

AMFILM

ORZLY

Where can I find installing instruction in this thread (steamy bathroom technique, hinge method etc)? Thanks so much
Orzly is awesome as well.
Seriously crazy good.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
damn, screwed up my first AmFilm application

after putting the hinge tape on, i removed the mask film

placed it down perfectly but somehow a piece of dust found it's way in between the screen and glass

will have to make the shower steamier and try again a little later :/

Type40

Thanks for your reply.

AMFILM

ORZLY

I honestly believe the glass screens are made in the same factory. the AM comes with wet and dry cleaning cloths. Was pretty straight forward. I did it in a normal room that is subjected to dust, and i got no dust under it, Just need to do it quickly after it's cleaned

There is no need to apply those things, which in my opinion are so ugly compared to the standard dock design, you just need to cut 2 straps of microfiber cloth, and 2 of double sided tape, and stick them into the dock on the 2 rails that Switch display touchs when you dock/undock it, that's enough, doing that the screen won't be touching hard plastic anymore

I get that for many that works, but for me personally the sock makes more sense. I keep my dock sideways, and I'd kinda prefer to not be able to see the mismatched color of the microfiber. If I really went out of my way to find the right color and tape that wont just fall off in a few days I'd end up paying about the same amount of money.

Also I'd kind of prefer to not have to DO anything to my dock. Considering the things are $90. Say I screw it up, remove the tape, and now there is a sticky residue that touches the screen. No thank you.

Piggus

Thanks for your reply.

AMFILM

ORZLY

If the posted specs are right, then the Orzly is slightly thinner. The Amfilm has been more readily available though... I did't get my Orzly until yesterday, and I pre-ordered it in January.

EDIT: Amfilm is 0.33 mm, Orzly is 0.24 mm.

Munter

Received and applied the AmFilm glass protector. Very impressed with it so far, went on smoothly and effortlessly.

Piggus

When did they mark your order as shipped?

They had a problem with Amazon's preorder system and had to mark all orders as shipped in February in order to avoid cancellations. It was shipped via Royal Mail (I live in the US), and there was no tracking info. So I have no idea when it actually shipped... A little annoying, but the Amfilm probably would have arrived at about the same time due to demand.

If you were to order either one now, the Amfilm will probably get to you a lot sooner if Orzly is still shipping from the UK.

Sh0k

I installed the nintendo protector that came with the official case. If i was to remove this to stick on the tempered glass, what would be the best way to removed the old one?

Best way to remove it is to stick a piece of scotch tape to one of the corners and lift the protector from the Switch screen. I will be doing the same when I recieve my glass protectors tomorrow.

They had a problem with Amazon's preorder system and had to mark all orders as shipped in February in order to avoid cancellations. It was shipped via Royal Mail (I live in the US), and there was no tracking info. So I have no idea when it actually shipped... A little annoying, but the Amfilm probably would have arrived at about the same time due to demand.

If you were to order either one now, the Amfilm will probably get to you a lot sooner if Orzly is still shipping from the UK.
I ordered the Orzly back in January as well so I'm in the same boat as you yet I still haven't gotten mine yet. Decided to order the Amfilm yesteday but I'm wondering if I should just give the Orzly til this week. Seems people are finally getting them.

Tabasco

damn, screwed up my first AmFilm application

after putting the hinge tape on, i removed the mask film

placed it down perfectly but somehow a piece of dust found it's way in between the screen and glass

will have to make the shower steamier and try again a little later :/
I messed up my first one too.

I did that one in my room full of dust, but once I moved to the bathroom it was fine. No steam required for me.

ZOONAMI

Got my amfilm today. I got a spec of dust under the edge but was able to peel it back and get it off with a q-tip dipped in Rubbing alcohol. Looks perfect now!

japtor

Thickness is okay. What you'd expect with a switch a thin layer of padding and some controllers sitting on top. I am still playing with the configuration and whether or not I want to travel with pro con which adds considerable bulk. While I am glad I went with the larger pouch, I think a smaller one would work better if I wanted to travel with less.

Looking at the link you posted I think i made a huge mistake. Hah! I like that bag a lot too. Switch should fit inside that just perfectly. Looks like itd make for a really good travel option.
Heh I couldn't decide...just ordered the small and middle sizes. I want as small as possible but wouldn't mind a bit larger cause I could fit my iPad/more stuff in as a general bag. Or I'll keep both.

My Orzly Glass Temp protector came in today. Took my sweet time prepping the screen but I applied it perfectly so it was worth it.

Great glass screen protector. The coating is nice and smooth and I didn't even need to squeeze any bubbles out once I laid it down.

I'd recommend it if their shipping time wasn't horrible to the US.

So I finally got my Orzly tempered glass after waiting for nearly 3 weeks, couldn't be happier. Super easy to install, really smooth to the touch. They're as good if not better than expensive ones that I've used in the past (i.e. Invisible Shields), at more than half the cost.

bedlOGB.jpg

That's what my Switch looked like with the Biogenik protectors. A total mess.

WJQc64T.jpg

Hinge method works great.

CQfalot.jpg

Once applied. No bubble, aligned perfectly. Even kept the stickers for the 2nd protector just in case.

eehdpzX.jpg

bSsMZZr.jpg

jzD186W.jpg

Unfortunately there's a few specks of dust that went under despite doing the shower trick, but they're totally unnoticeable when the screen is on.

One more thing, it sits pretty tightly in my bent dock. I'll try to straighten it overnight.

Thoraxes

So I finally got my Orzly tempered glass after waiting for nearly 3 weeks, couldn't be happier. Super easy to install, really smooth to the touch. They're as good if not better than expensive ones that I've used in the past (i.e. Invisible Shields), at more than half the cost.

One more thing, it sits pretty tightly in my bent dock. I'll try to straighten it overnight.
Hopefully that means I can expect my order to come in soon-ish. Pre-ordered, and it shipped on release, but yeah, nothing yet.

Received my AmFilm screen protector!! (Ordered one after my Ozrly went MIA in the mail)

o2nDXfr.jpg

Used the hot shower method for the anti-dust protection, but didn't use the hinge method! (Was too eager to get it on there)

I have to say, i ALWAYS mess up screen protectors on my phone and rage quit but somehow i managed to eyeball it AND not mess up. I think I applied it perfectly and I'm REALLY happy with how it came out. I feel much more comfortable taking it places!

I've been putting off applying my screen protector. I think I'm afraid of messing it up and i pretty much just use the system docked anyway..... Maybe tomorrow..

chekhonte

I have my glass screen protector coming tomorrow after the first one I ordered never showed up even though it was "delivered". I was home and it was never delivered.

I have a plastic one on it now and man I suck at putting on screen protectors. I live with 3 cats, a dog and we heat our house with wood (fucking ash all the time) and it's nearly impossible to get all the dust and hair off the thing before for more than a second. It doesn't help that the plastic films carry a heavy static charge that suck any hair or dust right to them as soon as you peal off the the film to stick it to your screen. I think I need to take mine to work with me and try it there even though it's not much better there.

Any advice for somebody in the same situation? I'm not quite sure what to do.

Get my third set of AMfilm tomorrow.

Question: if I get bubbles under the film, do I not bother lifting and reapplying? Will they eventually go away in a day or two? I don't want to lift the film off the screen once I apply as I had one lose its adhesive when I did that.

Can i know when did you order? I also ordered Orzly tempered glass from Orzly Store Amazon US on March 4 and no signs of my order yet. I live in Malaysia.

Actually put my order way back in January, and it shipped on March 2nd. The dates that Amazon gives you for delivery should be a pretty good estimate (mine was between March 23-Apr 2nd).

kaskade

My glass one will finally be in today. Can't wait to finally get it on there. I won't feel as bad bringing it around now once I find a decent case.

Jarnet87

I went and bought some Velcro strips and just applied the soft part to the two front areas, and one near the top middle of the dock. Not going to get a screen protector at the moment as I have rarely used it as a portable.

Zafir

Get my third set of AMfilm tomorrow.

Question: if I get bubbles under the film, do I not bother lifting and reapplying? Will they eventually go away in a day or two? I don't want to lift the film off the screen once I apply as I had one lose its adhesive when I did that.

Depends what's causing the bubbles, if it's dust causing the bubbles then you can probably get rid of the bubble itself, the dust will naturally remain, and maybe a pocket of air around it.

TAS

This wait for the Orzly feels like forever. :/ Someone mentioned that if you mess up the application, do not try to clean off the adhesive before trying again. Is this correct?

chekhonte

I'd be way more worried about the fabric dock "sock" keeping in heat more than it scratching the screen. I'd cut the front part of the dock out or even cut out the little box that holds the the electronic bits before putting a sock on if I was really worried about scratches.

Depends what's causing the bubbles, if it's dust causing the bubbles then you can probably get rid of the bubble itself, the dust will naturally remain, and maybe a pocket of air around it.

No dust. I've had instances where a bubble would remain, a small one, but then I fuck it up by removing the film which destroys the adhesive in the corners.

Top Bottom