• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved |OT| Early Access to the Land Before Time

My tribe is at 6 people, a few are randoms I met while at level 1. W have a large wooden fort, 3 high widen 8 fence circling a large area, 6 raptors, 1 anklo, 1 dilo, 1 scorpion, 1 trike, 1 bronto, and 1 rex. Loving the progress made so far! Had a few people wander near our base. Usually circle them on our raptors and offer help or suggest they leave. Trying not to kill on sight, but would if they start building near us (after warning, of course! )

Sucks that I'm on one of the first official servers and is hard to get in.

literally unplayable on a 970 still...
would love to play
I'm playing on a 970 and getting a smooth 30. Med settings with a few things customized (medium AA, shadows, nothing on EPIC, pretty much no ground clutter and sky quality, think a few other things). Everything still looks pretty and I'm able to enjoy everything.

Screenshots

Early work on base
UU25h80.jpg

Some of our pets
YP93T7u.jpg

Patrolling on our noble raptors
DVENcvJ.jpg

Found someone near camp. Offered assistance and steered him away.
AFFyB3k.jpg

Knocked out a rex and tamed him right through our front gate
NWCLT8g.jpg

knerl

Don't dare purchase this yet since I might end up disappointed. If not that it's going to make me wish for the finished product even more. If the devs however are as good as the folks behind The Forest at releasing updates this will end up simply amazing. Judging by the trailer that is. Dino riders meets Turok, open world and survival elements. Fuck that's cool. Doesn't hurt that it visually looks stunning.

Woo-Fu

Banned
All our pets disappeared overnight. Ankly, 2 trics, scorpion, 3 raptors, turtle, miscellaneous dillos, all gone. All were inside, no damage to our barn.

Ouch.

All our pets disappeared overnight. Ankly, 2 trics, scorpion, 3 raptors, turtle, miscellaneous dillos, all gone. All were inside, no damage to our barn.

Ouch.
Were they set on aggressive? Did you have high fences? Did you build near the shore?

Setting an animal on aggressive may send them on a chain reaction of battles leading far away from your base. If the walls weren't high then you're inviting players with ranged weapons to attack without threat. And of course building near the shore only increases the odds of being griefed.

Armaly

Every time I log off, someone has either killed or lost one of my dinos. I think i'm done playing this game with people I know. -_-

It's funny to read about people building massive towns and taming dinos when my experience for three hours was running around by my lonesome with broken bones as I got chased by raptors and other beasts. Sounds like a completely different game, lol.

I really want to get this game but if people are having trouble running it with a 970 there's no way my laptop's gtx 670m is gonna run it :(
Edit: although if it's heavily cpu based I'm pretty sure my laptop has an i7...

I tried this via Family Share from a friend and good god if I wouldn't have known better I would have thought the game ran off my HD3000 and not off my 7970 o.o

Performance aside I'm looking forward to play around with this more later, the concept seems fun :D

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing on a 970 and getting a smooth 30. Med settings with a few things customized (medium AA, shadows, nothing on EPIC, pretty much no ground clutter and sky quality, think a few other things). Everything still looks pretty and I'm able to enjoy everything.

Knocked out a rex and tamed him right through our front gate
NWCLT8g.jpg

how much meat do you need to tame rex.

hepburn3d

The server we were all on yesterday is full now :(

Any tips for somewhere I could rent a server for 2 people?

I've tried setting up a local host but can't figure out how to host and join. We only really want to play LAN or with GAF if I can figure it out :)

Edit:
Managed to join neogaf server :D gonna spawn on East side and create a EU possi if anyone wants to join. I notice it's PvP. Are you guys friendly enough or will I be watching my back?

Mirk

The server we were all on yesterday is full now :(

Any tips for somewhere I could rent a server for 2 people?

I've tried setting up a local host but can't figure out how to host and join. We only really want to play LAN or with GAF if I can figure it out :)

Edit:
Managed to join neogaf server :D gonna spawn on East side and create a EU possi if anyone wants to join. I notice it's PvP. Are you guys friendly enough or will I be watching my back?

Everyone seems friendly enough :D. We have a few gaf tribes running around now I think. Remember thou that the pw is gone now so random people will be playing too. So I would watch your back a little.

ducksauce

It's funny to read about people building massive towns and taming dinos when my experience for three hours was running around by my lonesome with broken bones as I got chased by raptors and other beasts. Sounds like a completely different game, lol.
This has pretty much been my experience in the 8 hours I've played by myself. I did managed to build two homes but I died and can't find my way back to them. I know I could build a bed and have a permanent spawn point but I can't stay alive long enough to gather the hides I need.

akileese

Anyone have an issue where you log out safely in your locked house (on a PVE server) and then you login dead needing to respawn? Early access and all that, but that really seems like a glitch you need to have sorted before deployment. What's the point in putting in a few hours trying build up your crafting if you can just lose all your progress randomly and have to start over again?

JambiBum

Anyone have an issue where you log out safely in your locked house (on a PVE server) and then you login dead needing to respawn? Early access and all that, but that really seems like a glitch you need to have sorted before deployment. What's the point in putting in a few hours trying build up your crafting if you can just lose all your progress randomly and have to start over again?

Even if you logout inside your house, there's a chance dinos can destroy it through fighting near you. Also if your house isn't fully enclosed it can get cold/hot which will cause you to start to lose hunger/thirst. Even on a PvE server someone can still destroy your house to get to your things but leave your body there. I don't know if you can in a PvE, but someone may be able to drain your blood while you are asleep and kill you that way as well. I've played this game for hours upon hours and haven't died randomly in a locked house but I don't play on PvE servers so that might be tied to those as well.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Make sure your house has a wood foundation. You can crawl under thatch and stand up to glitch through the floor and get to the person. I think you can also make your Dino fight around thatch houses to destroy them.

gossi

I have an AMD 6300 CPU (overclocked heavily to 4.5ghz) and a GTX 660 and confirm performance in this game is TERRIBLE. Running on low I get pre Playstation 2 graphics and 20fps average.

how much meat do you need to tame rex.
Didn't count,but we did it fast. People say it takes 5 hours to tame a rex, we did it in what felt like 2 or 3 hours. The more meat you put in initially the faster it goes and we started with about 6 stacks. Also used or raptors to attack the front legs of brontos and got easy kills (you can do it solo!) and lots of prime meat. No joke we were losing our guy up with a ton on prime meat. Brontos too easy to kill without stomping damage. And then we used or trike to harvest narco berries and would get them at a rate of 100 per minute, so darn efficient

akileese

Make sure your house has a wood foundation. You can crawl under thatch and stand up to glitch through the floor and get to the person. I think you can also make your Dino fight around thatch houses to destroy them.

It was a PVE server though. You can't even destroy someone's house on a PVE server let alone kill them.

I've been watching videos to this game and it looks like so much fun! Hopefully the final release isn't too far off so I can play on PS4! (Assuming it plays well)

BTW: I've heard this game requires a decent CPU...how is it supposed to run on consoles?

JambiBum

I've been watching videos to this game and it looks like so much fun! Hopefully the final release isn't too far off so I can play on PS4! (Assuming it plays well)

BTW: I've heard this game requires a decent CPU...how is it supposed to run on consoles?

The release isn't for a year. They've stated that they are keeping it in early access for that long before they release it on consoles. No one knows how it's going to run on consoles because we are so far out.

ARK has a higher peak concurrent player count (currently 56,479) than either H1Z1 (40,254) and DayZ (45,398). And it is close to beating the all-time peak concurrent player count that rust had, which was 58,973.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Were they set on aggressive? Did you have high fences? Did you build near the shore?

Setting an animal on aggressive may send them on a chain reaction of battles leading far away from your base. If the walls weren't high then you're inviting players with ranged weapons to attack without threat. And of course building near the shore only increases the odds of being griefed.

Nothing on aggressive, nowhere near the shore. Pets entirely inside, they can't even be seen, much less fired upon with ranged weapons.

Sarcasm

So I have enough to buy this in my NA paypal (which I am from the states), but the recent change steam made to regional purchasing landed my account in Taiwan.

So I can't use my PP..=(

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It was a PVE server though. You can't even destroy someone's house on a PVE server let alone kill them.

Your Dino isn't considered a player. So it can destroy.

Also you can use the needle to extract blood then feed them your shit and it will kill them.

So I have enough to buy this in my NA paypal (which I am from the states), but the recent change steam made to regional purchasing landed my account in Taiwan.

So I can't use my PP..=(

If you contact Steam CS and explain to them your situation then they could help flag you for the US store.

Sarcasm

If you contact Steam CS and explain to them your situation then they could help flag you for the US store.

Yea I put a ticket up with my passport 7 days ago.

Though supposedly using a card from the states within the states would do it. Would say having my sister using my account to make a purchase with my NA PP add NA to my account?

My tribe is at 6 people, a few are randoms I met while at level 1. W have a large wooden fort, 3 high widen 8 fence circling a large area, 6 raptors, 1 anklo, 1 dilo, 1 scorpion, 1 trike, 1 bronto, and 1 rex. Loving the progress made so far! Had a few people wander near our base. Usually circle them on our raptors and offer help or suggest they leave. Trying not to kill on sight, but would if they start building near us (after warning, of course! )

Sucks that I'm on one of the first official servers and is hard to get in.

Which server are you on? I'd like to come have a look at this big base, even if only a quick glance from the outside. Friendly by the way. Would join too if you're looking for new blood. Very familiar with the game but would probably be starting at lv 0 again.

Can anyone walk me through setting up and maintaining my own public server for this?

I'm a complete PC n00b when it comes to this stuff. :(

Rafy

Guys, I keep crashing while trying to join the GAF server. Has it been updated to 1.76? Is that the reason I am crashing?

gossi

Soo uhh..any chance my i7 860 and 650 ti are going to run this with anything beyond 1 fps?

You will get poor performance. If you change it to low graphics you will run around PS1/PS2 era graphics around 25fps.

They need to do some serious optimisation work!

hepburn3d

The tribe of hepburn3d has been set up on East Coast 3 (not my name choice, default if you don't set a name. balls) We have a wooden hut set up romantically by the beach with 2 fires, some irrigation and a pot fire. If any gmt people want to tribe up come along

Flunkie

Banned
Watched a lot of streams etc and i really cant wait to play this on PS4.

But i hope that they add some kind of PvE stuff etc.

I hate this PvP Survival games. I want something to enjoy with my friends. Not getting killed because of some immature kids etc.
This is coming to PS4? Holy shit.

MajorMane

Been playing this game for a few days now with my friends and I absolutely love it. Best dinosaur game I've ever played. I'm really impressed with all the updates to the game, as well. Runs much better now than it ever did before.

One problem I've been having, however, is that somehow someone (the same guy) keeps logging in into my character's body. Two days ago when it happened, my character would seemingly glitch out of the map and I would be taken to the respawn menu (without an option to respawn). A random came up to my friends and said his friend was there but to my friends it was my body. Last night, when the other guy logged in, it completely kicked me from the game and he was still in body. This happen to anyone else?

Rafy

OK, so I managed to join the GAF server after running a cache check on the game.
However, now I have run into another major issue, all I get after joining is a black screen and sound.

I am currently running another cache check. Do any of you have any other suggestions on how to resolve this ?

EDIT: Running 4670k stock, 8gb RAM and EVGA 970 SC

JambiBum

OK, so I managed to join the GAF server after running a cache check on the game.
However, now I have run into another major issue, all I get after joining is a black screen and sound.

I am currently running another cache check. Do any of you have any other suggestions on how to resolve this ?

The black screen thing is a loading issue that they are working on. You can just try again to get in. If not you'll probably have to wait til they fix it.

Rafy

The black screen thing is a loading issue that they are working on. You can just try again to get in. If not you'll probably have to wait til they fix it.

It's so unfair that our other writer has been able to play it with no issues... :(

I will try again and see if waiting it out fixes it...

Karak

Holy shit that was weird

Ya...each to their own but that was about as far from funny as it could have been without being made at all. Pretty much the same thing that is said to me whenever I review LOL

As for the game. Man ground clutter and sky continue to be the bane of playable framerates. But loving the number of updates they are doing.

gossi

Are you spawning at night? Night is pitch black.

Rafy

Are you spawning at night? Night is pitch black.

I don't know but that would be hilarious. All I can see is my mouse cursor (normal windows one)

EDIT: I don't think I am spawning at night since I can't even manage to pull up the menu when pressing ESC

Top Bottom