• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: Xbox One and 360 Were The Top Selling Consoles In December...in USA

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good for MS to quote actual numbers. If sony were close (you'd think they'd have shipped as much as they could), then the might also release hard figures to try and appear 'neck and neck' or close.

Plus if PS4 is on top for 2013 they'll emphasise that

kinggroin

Banned
People called me crazy for my prediction. Heheheheh

Microsoft at $500 is selling better in the US than the more powerful, cheaper PS4.

Dat ecosystem, dat US appeal.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Good for MS to quote actual numbers. If sony were close (you'd think they'd have shipped as much as they could), then the might also release hard figures to try and appear 'neck and neck' or close.

I assume the way its worded, PS4 is in between 360 and X1 numbers

Fularu

Banned
So the 3ds was, again, the top selling system in the US

Interesting how Nintenfo has both the top selling and (almost) the worst selling systems.

Gestault

I wonder who sold the most systems overall then... Nintendo or MS? Should be close.

3DS must have sold incredibly, but I feel like the limited Wii U performance may mean Microsoft coming out ahead in this case. 360 did really well, all things considered.

Overall, I think there's no question the PS4 having lower numbers compared to the XB1 is down to supply constraints on Sony's end.

B.O.O.M

Sony doesn't release NPD numbers usually

OT: Good number. On one hand given there's plenty of stock everywhere it should have hit over 1mil for December. On the other hand it's $500. So all in all good result

Anion

I wonder how much it would have been if it was like 450 of less

Edit:
Holly crap that Xbox 360 sale in December
Wow.

Boke1879

Sony didn't quote numbers even when they "won" NPD. They don't have to. They will quote worldwide figures where they clearly have a substantial lead and will continue to do so.

Pain

Banned
Well done, it seems flooding the market indeed was a sound US strat. I wonder how far behind Sony was though, ditto for nintendo.
If I remember correctly, the PS4 had about a 200k lead in November, right?
So PS4 sales must be higher than 708k but lower than 908k. Not bad for a console that's severely supply constrained.

Alienous

You can't sell what you've sold. If they were gone in November, they aren't available for purchase in December.

I mean. Jesus Christ, Nelson.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

OT: Good number. On one hand given there's plenty of stock everywhere it should have hit over 1mil for December. On the other hand it's $500. So all in all good result

That's my point though. If they 'lost' by 10-20k units, this release by MS might push Sony to release figures as a defensive measure

I think people are reading into it a bit too much, it all screams Sony not being able to match demand and Microsoft's supply stream. Fair play all round to Microsoft though great numbers,

Alebrije

Meanwhile in Mexico :
Photo took two days ago.

yTqytI.jpg

Good for MS, they have a $500.00 U.S. machine and managed to move that high volume. Just wonder how will be the bahavior outside U.S.

Futureman

PS4 should still be neck and neck with One due to the extra time on the market. So I don't agree that US is still MS-Land.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Sony used to release numbers all the time until the 360 was crushing PS3 at every turn, then they stopped.

gtj1092

Can someone put in the OP that the ps4 is still ahead in the US. People don't seem to get that. Means they were closer this month then they were last month.

Ah, then the thread title is wrong. It says the "Top Selling Consoles in Dec."
Major Nelson stated the Xbox 360 and Xbox One were the Top-Selling for their respective generations and Aaron said the 360 sold well. I assume Aaron means the 360 sold well because it beat the Wii and PS3, but probably didn't beat the Xbox One or PS4.

markom58

Neo Member
Congrats MS. 908k (Xbox One) and 643k (Xbox 360). That 643k 360 is actually more impressive. What's the LTD of 360 for NA?

Amir0x

Banned
I thought the PS4 outsold the Xbox One in the U.S?

I think people were extrapolating that if you add November (and they released a week earlier) and December, combined Sony would still be ahead in the US. I am not sure we are positive this is the case with 908k. And demand has been met for XBO - there is supply everywhere. Demand has not been met for PS4, which is still difficult to find. So, it's the upcoming months that are going to start to really paint us a picture as to what is going on. Given that 360 sold 640,000, and PS4 sold less than that, we can see how harsh supply has been for Sony given that they have so many more countries which legitimately demand their console to serve.

So, all these comments are not really telling the story.

The story is as follows ->

1. Microsoft shipped in 13 countries. However, if they had the supply to ship in more countries, they would have. Ergo, the fact that they shipped in less countries is not an indication of anything except that they did not feel they could meet demand in their only two strong territories if they shipped in more.

2. Microsoft really is only concerned with 2 out of those 13 countries, given past trends. We can maybe add Australia to that, if we're generous. Therefore, almost all of their sales were met in the US and UK and into the future that will continue to be the case.

3. Microsoft has met demand. So, January and February are going to be the months that we can get a picture of the true landscape: what happens when the holidays are over, that initial explosion in their only strong territories is over, and we have clear indication everywhere that they have met their demand since stock is now in excess in those countries?

4. Sony has not met demand. So, once more, January and February will tell how much longer that sort of thing can continue. Plus that they are going to continue to expand their lead in every other country on the planet, and Japan which Microsoft has zero shot in (and honestly I'm not convinced Sony has much of a shot in either) is also coming soon.

5. Will games like Titanfall help Microsoft? Will Sony's comparatively 'smaller buzz' titles allow them to slow down, or will the third party multiplatform big guns be enough?

UberTag

Will be interesting to see if Sony can right its ship on the supply front for January and February but with the Japan launch looming... I'm not so sure that it can.

I suspect Microsoft will surge ahead for good once Titanfall brainwashes the masses this March.

They will win one market while losing everywhere else. Yippee.

900k with all that stigma at 500$ is impressive. If they can ever close the price gap they might do alright.

What stigma? Other than the price, MS' 180s fixed pretty much everything (other than being underpowered of course). It's the successor to the best selling console last gen, the one that completely dominated it's opponent (in NA at least). Of course it's going to sell well. I'm surprised it couldn't break a million, what with all the stock it has.

I doubt the X1's stigma on internet forum has much to do in influencing mainstream buyers.
So demand is higher for X1 in the US?

Higher than the rest of the world at least; however, I feel it only came ahead due to PS4s being in very short supply. Demand is obviously much higher for Sony's console at this point, and it's worrying that MS couldn't sell 1 million X1s in a month which had seemingly very few PS4s available. Still, great sales, I just thought they would do better.

Top Bottom