• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UnderRail |OT| The Fallout 3 you've waited 17 years for

I think I purchased two copies for Steam in the past, but not sure if the keys I have were used or not.

First two people that PM me can have them. Again, not sure if they've been used or not yet.

120v

just want to say i spent two hours on the game last night and had a blast. anybody on the fence should definitely check it out (i'm not seeing any reviews for this anywhere, so i thought i'd throw in my 2 cents)

Purkake4

Banned
For the love of god I hope you're all using tab to highlight interactive objects. The game would be near impossible without it.

Also, especially for sneaky knife people, it's all about the perks. Get Crippling Strike, Dirty Kick and Opportunist, stun lock those bastards good. Almost all status effects can stack, 3x crippling strike messes almost anyone up.

bati

I can't quite decide on a build. In the EA version I've played a stealthy pugilist and it was amazing, allowed me to see pretty much all of the content, including the arena and gauntlet. I had no crafting whatsoever though. For my first run in the release version I'm trying to come up with a build that would allow me to do the same and still be good at combat. So far I've got a stealthy knifer (which is too much like the pugilist I had I think) or maybe a crossbow build. I can't for the life of me come up with a PSI version where stealth and perception (with Snooping, for spotting secrets) would fit in, even though I'd love to play a character like that.

Purkake4

Banned
I can't quite decide on a build. In the EA version I've played a stealthy pugilist and it was amazing, allowed me to see pretty much all of the content, including the arena and gauntlet. I had no crafting whatsoever though. For my first run in the release version I'm trying to come up with a build that would allow me to do the same and still be good at combat. So far I've got a stealthy knifer (which is too much like the pugilist I had I think) or maybe a crossbow build. I can't for the life of me come up with a PSI version where stealth and perception (with Snooping, for spotting secrets) would fit in, even though I'd love to play a character like that.
Heavy armor sledge hammer is fun, crafting and crossbow is also fun. Crawler poison caltrops will stun almost anything and allow you to pick them off.

bati

Yeah I guess I'll go with a crossbow+traps. I'll probably use Nerd Commando's template. Seriously, check this guy out if you're a serious RPG player, he has min-maxed builds for pretty much every serious RPG that has been released lately.

I think this build will work pretty well due to several factors:

- high PER for spotting secrets
- traps, which as I have learned in the EA build, were VERY useful in the gauntlet
- stealth, lockpicking, hacking. These three stats speak for themselves.

I still want to warp people's minds though :(. I guess it shows how good this game really is when you're always wanting to try out other skills and builds.

Is base stats at 10 (or even 9) a stupid thing? (because of permanent upgrades later?)

Here is a handy guide to attributes distribution, just ignore his comment about intelligence as it also affects Psi regeneration. It is not really recommended to evenly distribute your points, better to go for a specific build.

I just arrived in core city and I noticed that working for a certain faction bars you from joining another. So I'm not sure what to do now and which faction(s) to join. Which one has the best quests?

I accepted the first coretech job and then I was unable to enlist in the praetorian security.

Finished the GMS quest. Those raiders were hard. Had to set tons of bear traps, then lure them over by shooting. Then stab them as they got caught in my traps. Hostages almost died from my poison caltrops.

I'm also swimming in money. So much good loot. Nothing to spend it on though. No knife vendors. No knife blueprints either. I should be able to find some good stuff in the Junkyard though when I go.

Purkake4

Banned
Finished the GMS quest. Those raiders were hard. Had to set tons of bear traps, then lure them over by shooting. Then stab them as they got caught in my traps. Hostages almost died from my poison caltrops.

I'm also swimming in money. So much good loot. Nothing to spend it on though. No knife vendors. No knife blueprints either. I should be able to find some good stuff in the Junkyard though when I go.
Merchants update their stuff regularly and I think there are some triggers for better equipment becoming available as well, but I'm not 100% sure what they are.

I'm thinking of spending an entire level up just investing in a second offense skill. Like throwing. So I can finally have some ranged knives and caltrops/grenades.

So far I've only been leveling the minimum amount of skills needed to max them out for my level. Which actually has worked shockingly well. I hack/pick through anything. But my crafting is underutilized for now so I can probably spare the points.

I swear my Persuasion skill has been maxed the whole game and hasn't been useful once lol. At Junkyard.

Seems like you need Intimidate AND Persuasion to get anywhere socially.

edit: Investing in throwing also hasn't payed off, but eh. It might someday.

Not always, but you frequently need both yeah. So far, for me, there has been only one big case in which persuasion alone allowed me to defuse a tense situation.

Yeah I'll probably continue to invest in it just in case.

Speaking of, you get enough to max 8 skills. Should I have stuck with only 8 skills and everything else at 0? Or can I go with 9 skills?

bati

You don't need to max out all the skills. I think having an effective 120-140 is enough for lockpicking, electronics and most of crafting. Throwing also doesn't have to be maxed out, ~80-100 effective should be enough.

You don't need to max out all the skills. I think having an effective 120-140 is enough for lockpicking, electronics and most of crafting. Throwing also doesn't have to be maxed out, ~80-100 effective should be enough.

Alright sounds good. I'll keep throwing low. Focus is on melee and stealth anyway.

Also I'm completely lost in Depot A. I've discovered tons of places but no drill parts. And the fucking mutants and mutant dogs are so difficult.

There's also doors that open right into auto sentries lol. So annoying.

Purkake4

Banned
Alright sounds good. I'll keep throwing low. Focus is on melee and stealth anyway.

Also I'm completely lost in Depot A. I've discovered tons of places but no drill parts. And the fucking mutants and mutant dogs are so difficult.

There's also doors that open right into auto sentries lol. So annoying.
The drill parts are
in an area to the north-west in a barrel.

This, or Wasteland 2?

Or both?

I've no experience with Wasteland. But this game has been stellar. And I never really liked cRPG games. Tried Fallout and Fallout 2 and couldn't get into them for whatever reason, but this has made me a fan of the genre. Enough that I'll revisit some of the older stuff (and things like Age of Decadence) after a few playthroughs.

So yeah, definitely can recommend this game. And it is on GoG if you care about that.

From one hardcore CRPG and Fallout 1 and 2 fan to another, how good is this game?

From what I gather, the writing isn't close to Fallout and Fallout 2 quality but its still la fairly awesome game. As I said, I was not a fan of this genre at all, and it got me into it. I'm also finding it difficult too. There's multiple viable builds and ways to traverse levels. My stealth guy can get past a lot of combat, but when it comes time for combat I have to find ways to isolate enemies or I'll get my shit wrecked.

akira28

just crafted an electroshock pistol.

SO much fun luring enemies into a firing zone, grouping them up and then bouncing the electrical current between the targets.

this game encourages trapping and strategy.

Corpekata

Banned
I do have to say the forcing some AP into movement only is kind of brilliant, and letting you use it after actions. At first it seemed confining but it really does encourage a decent amount of strategy.

I do have to say the forcing some AP into movement only is kind of brilliant, and letting you use it after actions. At first it seemed confining but it really does encourage a decent amount of strategy.

I wasn't even aware of this lol.

[edit] Can someone please help me to reach the south railroad outpost?

I'm currently here: http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Lu-b1.png

and I need to get here: http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Lu-b30.png

http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lower_Underrail#Near_Rail_Crossing

From one hardcore CRPG and Fallout 1 and 2 fan to another, how good is this game?

From what I understand, this is a bit more a 1990-1995 old school CRPG game, focused on mechanics, stats and combat. While Fallout 1/2 are considered staple of the 1995-2000 CRPG age, with more emphasis on interesting quests, roleplaying through choices and consequences, etc.
Obviously there is some overlap.

Do any of the Psi Disciplines just downright suck?

I'm thinking about my next character already and want to go melee/Psi. Maybe some huge dude with heavy armor, with a sledehammer. And metathermics for ranged attacks. Sounds fun. Not sure how viable. How many schools should I specialize in anyway? All 3 doesn't seem viable unless I give up all crafting.

Also what's the stat spread for this sort of build? 8 STR/10 will/7 Int/Con?

I'm worried about the lack of Perception coupled with a lack of investment in Traps. My current stealth ninja has 3 Per but obscenely high traps so I spot everything. Granted I could just quick save a ton, but that feels like cheating.

New hotfix patch.

Version 1.0.0.2
Locked doors/containers will now be more clear on which skill they require
Fixed the bug that caused the game to crash when destructible rocks were being destroyed en masse
You will no longer be able to export character during tutorial
Fixed being unable to advance the main quest if the player persuaded Gorsky that there is no way to open the GMS vault
Fixed not being able to return to Silent Isle under certain circumstances
Fixed not having the option to tell Big Bret what happened to Newton if he was killed by psi beetles
Edgar's key now properly unlocks the safe in his room
The game is now automatically saved after the final Arena match cutscene
Fixed secret passage near GMS raider base
Fixed Gerhard Page's locker
Various minor types and map fixes

Purkake4

Banned
No, the parts are
outside Wyatt's house in a barrel. You'll know it when you find the place.
On the map with the mutants, go to the upper left corner. There is a building there that lets you go to the map on the left. There you have the barrel with the drill parts and Wyatt.

If you're still lost, check out the wiki, it's really good.

Found it by looking at a Let's Play. Umm... hmm I'm pretty sure I can't open those doors though. They are behind an 85 mechanical lock check or something crazy.

There is an alternative path:

In the room with the two auto-turrets and two sentry bots you can find the inner gate key card (it's the largest room with the sandbags): http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Ojy-u2.png
Which opens the garage door in the center left: http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Ojy3.png

Got it eventually.

Also I have all this loot that is worth so much but all the merchants are either too poor or wont buy what I have. :(

Kyougar

how can i kill the sentry bots effectively? My only psi skill that works is the 3 turn kinetic burst. my Weapons dont do any damage and EMP grenades are hard to come by

Purkake4

Banned
how can i kill the sentry bots effectively? My only psi skill that works is the 3 turn kinetic burst. my Weapons dont do any damage and EMP grenades are hard to come by
You can always avoid them. Otherwise AP ammo (bursts for best effect), tasers, electrified knives or electroshock pistols.

Top Bottom