• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

So it turns out that my weird pixelization issue might be a problem with the TV itself. It has Best Buy Geek Squad guarantee but it will take up to two weeks for the whole process.

Is that normal? That sounds pretty long to me.

Does this TV overscan? If so what setting do you use to disable it?

Don't think so.

You can double check simply:

go to ps4 settings, sound and screen - display area adjust. When the image is maximally expanded (i.e, you can not press up anymore) the white lines should match the corners of your screen.

Sooo, i just bought the 49" XE8005 (or i think X8005E in the US) and although I´m still using the base PS4, the upgrade over my old TV is very noticable.

It just seems like i have the "HDR is washed out" Problem. With HDR off, the games look much better than on my old set, HDR does turn up the brightness but makes everything...greyer. But maybe also more realistic?

Just to be sure, i plugged the PS4 into HDMI port 3 and set it to enhanced hdmi (even without 4k, just because).

The Internet seems to be full with people that have the same Problem but there is little to no official Communication about that topic.

i had to adjust the HDR settings, u can't use the same settings u use in regular game mode.

Madness

I didn't get the update OTA. Had to use USB drive. I do notice the menus are now much faster as is the picture options, apps like YouTube. For some reason Samba Services Manager kept crashing. You need to re-enable it and then can delete data, force stop and disable it.

I wonder if the board swap repair I had screwed with ability to get OTA updates. Can anyone who downloaded OTA also tell me what android security patch level you are? Mine shoes July 1, 2017.

Flousn

i had to adjust the HDR settings, u can't use the same settings u use in regular game mode.

What settings do you use?

Right now, i only changed "color" to 60 and "Black correction" (if thats the correct english term) to low.
That seems to have the same color fidelity as regular settings on SDR and does not take too much fiddeling around everytime i switch between HDR and SDR.

Why is there not a way to save the hdr-specific settings? The TV obviously recognizes the HDR-mode.

Josue

The weirdest shit happened today. I turn on my PS4 and for some reason there's a bar of off colored pixels now. I messed with the settings and found that the only way to get rid of it was keeping gamma at max. I hope my TV ain't dying lol.

vwDuGka.jpg

YjJGoXk.jpg

Toe-Knee

What settings do you use?

Right now, i only changed "color" to 60 and "Black correction" (if thats the correct english term) to low.
That seems to have the same color fidelity as regular settings on SDR and does not take too much fiddeling around everytime i switch between HDR and SDR.

Why is there not a way to save the hdr-specific settings? The TV obviously recognizes the HDR-mode.

If does save them separate. Every app has its own settings too.

Having to change them comes with the fact that every game does hdr slightly differently so you have to tweak sometimes.

Flousn

If does save them separate. Every app has its own settings too.

Having to change them comes with the fact that every game does hdr slightly differently so you have to tweak sometimes.

The TV only saves changes to brightness and Gamma for the HDR-mode, every other setting is kept when switching between SDR and HDR.
But that is okay, as you said, every game needs slight adjustments anyway.

And, i have to say, despite the negativity towards the X800E (and i am well aware that ISP-panels are "shit" and i am an impressionable fool for thinking of this Set´s HDR is anything close "good") - i finally found the right settings for me and holy shit. I played Wipout for the first time in HDR after calibrating and now i understand the appeal of the technology.
Jesus Christ. Going from a 7 year old, 32 Inch Set to this was....an experience to say the least.

Toe-Knee

The TV only saves changes to brightness and Gamma for the HDR-mode, every other setting is kept when switching between SDR and HDR.

And, i have to say, despite the negativity towards the X800E (and i am well aware that ISP-panels are "shit" and i am an impressionable fool for thinking of this Set´s HDR is anything close "good") - i finally found the right settings for me and holy shit. I played Wipout for the first time in HDR after calibrating and now i understand the appeal of the technology.
Jesus Christ. Going from a 7 year old, 32 Inch Set to this was....an experience to say the least.

In pretty sure it saves black levels and contrast too. But I could be mistaken.

I have the XD8305 which is also ips and is been great for me coming from a 2015 Philips set.

Please share your HDR mode config

and also, I've been reading Reddit and apparently the reason why Sony's Vudu app isn't in 4K is because Sony needs to pay VUDU for development of a 4k app and for some odd reason that hasn't happened yet

weird.

bosseye

Anyone had an issue with the TV freezing/stuttering when changing volume? Not sure if it's the TV or the sonos playbar I'm using via optical. TV is the 49X800D.

Does it in Netflix, Amazon etc, if you change the volume using the TV remote it seems to interrupt the picture stream, makes it stutter or freeze for a few seconds. Also had issues with starting streaming content and getting no sound until you pause then unpause and the sound kicks in.

I haven't tried this latest update yet though, maybe that will fix it...

lazerfox

Anyone had an issue with the TV freezing/stuttering when changing volume? Not sure if it's the TV or the sonos playbar I'm using via optical. TV is the 49X800D.

Does it in Netflix, Amazon etc, if you change the volume using the TV remote it seems to interrupt the picture stream, makes it stutter or freeze for a few seconds. Also had issues with starting streaming content and getting no sound until you pause then unpause and the sound kicks in.

Yes I noticed the same. Happens mostly when streaming in 4K and/or HDR.

Didn't find a fix yet.

Update is pretty good

And yeah the osd is kind of laggy on this TV android TV

Better with update tho again I like the new ui for settings much nicer

bosseye

Yes I noticed the same. Happens mostly when streaming in 4K and/or HDR.

Didn't find a fix yet.

Hmmmm. I assume it's the TV, if I change the volume using the sonos app on my phone there isn't an issue. I don't recall it doing this when I bought the TV so I'm guessing it's a firmware issue introduced during one of the updates I installed a couple of months back. So hopefully this new update might address it (optimistic!).

HonorAll

Neo Member
My 49" x800D just got a software update today.

Has anyone else tried it yet to see what it does?

i just got an update on my 43 inch as well

As per, III:

It's a Performance patch.

When I received the OTA update, the patch notes & the firmware wasn't live on their support site yet. I too feel that the menu navigation is snappier.

http://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/PKG3-915-0139NAB-System-Update/td-p/649124

pretty sure this update cover a range of Sets including my 850D and the 800D. they all received the update around the same day.

Yes, this latest software version was released 10/03/2017 for your TV(XBR-55X810C).

The section below provides a list of benefits provided by previous updates and included in the latest System Software Update.

- Adds support for (Hybrid Log-Gamma) HDR content via HDMI input (does not apply to the XBR43X830C, XBR49X800C, XBR49X830C, XBR55X810C, XBR65X800C and XBR65X810C models)
- Reduces input lag for 4K HDR gaming (does not apply to the XBR43X830C, XBR49X800C, XBR49X830C, XBR55X810C, XBR65X800C and XBR65X810C models)
- Updates the system software to Android™ M (Marshmallow)
- Improves the general performance of the television
- Adds support for 4K Live/NeuLion® Sports digital video technology
- Improves general software quality of the TV
- Improves RVU support
- Adds Twin Picture (PAP function) support
- Resolves a condition where a black picture may occur after performing a remote Off/On (KDL-75W850C)
- Supports PlayMemories Online service
- Supports PlayStation™ Now service
- Improves Wi-Fi connectivity of the TV
- Improves picture quality (dynamic range, noise reduction, sharpness)
- Supports Netflix® streaming service (4K Models)
- Improves Lip Sync for HDMI input
- Improves performance and stability of the USB video playback features
- Resolves a condition where a black screen and no sound may occur when an input changes from YouTube® to another input
- Resolves a condition where a black screen may occur during USB video playback
- Supports Internet-based EPG (Electronic program guide)
- Supports Netflix streaming service (2K Models)
- Supports Amazon®, Pandora®, and Crackle™ applications
- Supports Force Reboot by holding down the Power key on the BT or IR remote controller
- Improves performance and stability of overall UI operation
- Improves performance and stability of the Action Menu

You can also check these items from this link. https://esupport.sony.com/p/support-info.pl?info_id=1681.

If you need to update your television, you can check the guidelines from this link.
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40952.

The weirdest shit happened today. I turn on my PS4 and for some reason there's a bar of off colored pixels now. I messed with the settings and found that the only way to get rid of it was keeping gamma at max. I hope my TV ain't dying lol.

vwDuGka.jpg

YjJGoXk.jpg

Are you still under manufacturer's warranty? Or even better, store extended protection? If so, get it replaced ASAP. This issue will worsen over time, sometimes rapidly.

CaVaYeRo

Is there a reliable comparison vs the newer X900E series available? Is it its natural upgrade? Getting the 800 is gonna be trickier and trickier...

lemmykoopa

Can't make a decision between the xe80 and xe90. Do you guys think there is a big difference in screen quality? Xe90 has local dimming which is supposed to be great for improving blacks.

Toe-Knee

Can't make a decision between the xe80 and xe90. Do you guys think there is a big difference in screen quality? Xe90 has local dimming which is supposed to be great for improving blacks.
Local dimming makes a nice difference with HDR I would very the 90 im actually in the process of moving my xd83 upstairs for the pc and getting a xe90 for the pro

Anyone have this happen to them? I use my XBR43X800D as a computer monitor--feeding it via a GTX1070.

Often times I'll leave the room only to return to find the TV is off. And I mean OFF. As in, you have to unplug it and plug it back in off.

I wrote that off as a bug, but then I started getting digital garbage dancing all over the screen. Checked and rechecked my connections. Ensured computer is Full Power, no sleep. Had no timers or ECO settings on the TV.

I called Sony and started a case but then the firmware update hit. I updated it...and so far so good. For the past 3 days I haven't seen any of that behaviour.

Is it possible a firmware patch actually fixed what was wrong, or am I looking at an eminent hardware failure that a firmware patch is just obscuring? Any idea? Similar stories?

Still have 20 days of warranty...

*banging set BTW. There are only a few epic price/performance purchases I've made in my life, and (assuming this doesn't die) the X800D is certainly one of them. My Onkyo 805 TX-SR805 is the other. Every model released afterward in that class had fewer and fewer features and lowered quality of components. Still pulling duty as a 7 channel amp.

CaVaYeRo

Yeah exactly, that's what I'm trying to decide as well (as XE90 is X900E in Europe). Any good comparisons and/or tests?

USF

Happy with the latest update

Update notes for KD-49X8000D
About this download

• Benefits and improvements from the latest update
  • Introduces How-to videos in the BRAVIA Recommendations shelf
  • Improves TV response time when using the remote control
  • Resolves YouTube 4K playback issue (2,560 x 1,440 resolution or higher)
  • Resolves an issue where "No operation shutdown" dialog box cannot be closed when using the VOL+/- buttons
  • Resolves an issue where the TV turns on by itself from standby mode
  • Removal of Twitter functions (Social Viewing)

Monad

Has anyone tried HDR gaming on PC with the 43-X800D?

I activated HDR on W10 for Forza 7 yesterday, but despite the overall improved image, the colors are completed washed out compared with the normal RGB mode.

Don't know if I need to calibrate something or just change the color adjustments in the TV...

Got the 49" at Best Buy. Open box for $550. Just had to buy a remote off Amazon for $40 and I was in business. This is the first 4k TV I've ever owned and holy shit this thing is gorgeous. Going to hook up my Pro tomorrow and get that set up.

Does anyone have any good settings profiles that they've been using? I have everything on default for now, but if you guys have found good color settings, I'd love to hear them!

Also, is there a way to properly close an app? I idled in Hulu for too long and I couldn't start any content. I got an error saying to restart the app, but leaving the app seems to keep it open in the background. Had to open Netflix and then go back to Hulu to get it to reset.

Got the 49" at Best Buy. Open box for $550. Just had to buy a remote off Amazon for $40 and I was in business. This is the first 4k TV I've ever owned and holy shit this thing is gorgeous. Going to hook up my Pro tomorrow and get that set up.

Does anyone have any good settings profiles that they've been using? I have everything on default for now, but if you guys have found good color settings, I'd love to hear them!

Also, is there a way to properly close an app? I idled in Hulu for too long and I couldn't start any content. I got an error saying to restart the app, but leaving the app seems to keep it open in the background. Had to open Netflix and then go back to Hulu to get it to reset.

Press and Hold the home button on the remote, it will give app tray, go to the app you wish to close then press down to get to the x and ok it.

Darkside21

Neo Member
Any chance at a sale for the x800d? It looks like there's only one seller for this on eBay or Amazon (Video and Audio Center). I'm not sure of their history on sales. But considering this model is no longer in production I wasn't sure if I should expect a sale on this or not this month.
If not I'll probably be pulling the trigger on it soon.

Just got an over the air update on my x800d. I’m in the uk. Decent 4k tv, but the viewing angles are a bit rubbish imo. I think i paid £550 for it last year - a great investment to go with my ps4 pro and i am sure it is good enough for the xbox one x too.

Link8295

Neo Member
The price is low because it's an edge lit 10bit screen.

There are true 10bit monitors that you know for sure are 10bit that on average cost more than or around the same price as 49 x800d. Im guessing there's no definitive proof that it is 10bit. Displayspecifications.com has it listed as 8bit+FRC.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Are you sure? Is there any proof that it doesn't not use FRC to get to 10bit? There's mixed up information all over the net. Plus the price seems too low for it to be true 10bit.
Rtings has verified it's 10 bit. The 8 bit thing started because rtings messed up the initial test methodology which they note in the review.

Link8295

Neo Member
Rtings has verified it's 10 bit. The 8 bit thing started because rtings messed up the initial test methodology which they note in the review.

Thing is if you read the comments on rtings you'll see someone asks if it is true 10bit. One of their reviewers states manufacturers are shoddy about sharing this info and that they can't say for sure but just that the display presents 10bit content properly. But this can still be done if the FRC is done properly.

Top Bottom