• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: Before the Storm |OT| Hella Walk with Me

MBR

Banned
I feel like "
Fire
walk with me" would've worked just as well as the OT title, since it's the first thing that happens in episode one.

So far, so good. Only gripe this far is Chloe's voice isn't as on-point as before, there's definitely a difference, and the dead stare in her eyes as your press LT when having the camera facing her face is hilarious.

Just had a conversation with a friend discussing our theories. Kind of changed my perception of what I just played. Hopefully people put some thought into what this episode teaches you before rushing to a judgement on its quality. I kind of can't wait for Episode 2.

So far, so good. Only gripe this far is Chloe's voice isn't as on-point as before, there's definitely a difference, and the dead stare in her eyes as your press LT when having the camera facing her face is hilarious.

They had to use a different voice actor due to the SAG-AFTRA strike. There are definitely points where I felt something was slightly off, but thought they did a really great job despite the circumstances.

MBR

Banned
They had to use a different voice actor due to the SAG-AFTRA strike. There are definitely points where I felt something was slightly off, but thought they did a really great job despite the circumstances.
Sorry. I'm aware. Just pointing out that there's an apparent difference in delivery (Background: I haven't played LiS since the last episode, haven't replayed, barely any trailers for this prequel, only news about the unfortunate strike). Most of the time it's really, really hard to tell.

I should probably have framed it differently in hindsight:
Considering that Ashly got caught up in the strike, the team did a really good job in casting a replacement, and the replacement is immediately a good fit for "Chloe", even though the lines are sometimes delivered with a bit too much "teen angst", which I felt was more natural in the original TiS.

Part of it, in my early impressions, I guess, might be just me over-analyzing the motive behind how this story will tie in to the original: Spoilers from the first hour following -

I personally am not entirely comfortable in acting a certain way toward David or Chloe's mom, but I'm not sure yet that my personal actions, which would fit better in a "Max type of character" are going to translate well into the progression here.
I have to say though, after making a couple of choices, I'm getting a good feel of how Chloe's really feeling and thinking, based on her life situation.

Still haven't formed a final opinion, but I liked the original, and was on the fence between buying this or just wathching a YouTube LP, and I'm glad I bought it.

TheDanger

Banned
I got the deluxe edition, but it still says purchase full season in the episodes menu, this the same for anyone else?

Spinifex

Super minor unrelated to story spoiler:

I really loved that there was basically a
20 minute D&D campaign you can play.
Really cool the amount of effort gone into this game, they didn't have to put that in at all.

Staf

I bought the deluxe edition. Don't know if i'll play it it now or wait for everything to be out. Do they have a release schedule for 2 and 3?

Reedirect

I'm really intrigued by the two remaining episodes, but can't help but think the devs are treading on very thin ice when it comes to
Rachel presumably having superpowers. Retroactively explaining Max's powers or hamfisting a connection between Rachel and the story of the original is what I'm most worried about. Rachel being the catalyst of all later events would only lessen the impact of LiS, in my opinion.

Playing it so far has been like walking on a soft carpet full of hidden nails – I always expect them to go too far in some spots. Let's hope it sticks the landing.

I'm really intrigued by the two remaining episodes, but can't help but think the devs are treading on very thin ice when it comes to
Rachel presumably having superpowers. Retroactively explaining Max's powers or hamfisting a connection between Rachel and the story of the original is what I'm most worried about. Rachel being the catalyst of all later events would only lessen the impact of LiS, in my opinion.

Playing it so far has been like walking on a soft carpet full of hidden nails – I always expect them to go too far in some spots. Let's hope it sticks the landing.
The spoilered is my main concern as well.

Obviously Rachel has always played a big part in the story of LiS with her absence, but I really like the mystery of Max's powers and the storm as something kinda godly and unknowable. I don't want Rachel's powers to diminish that in any way by making everything in LiS's story revolve around her.

I'm really hoping they handle it well, because so far I am enjoying the game a lot.

Necron

It wasn't actually too challenging at all and it was't a deliberate decision to switch engines. Simply put, when Deck Nine created their Storyforge tool (before BtS was a twinkle in anyones eye) they created it in conjunction with Unity.

To add a bit more about Storyforge (Quoted from elsewhere):

"Our staff writers actually write in code, dialogue and code to create branching structures that exports directly into a second part of the tools called StoryTeller which is a cinematic design tool that our cinematic artists use to light and block, insert camera frames and timing, and keyframe objects to create the cinematic elements. This is something our studio has been developing for years.

Sounds like Storyforge aligned really well with Life is Strange. Apart from tech, the writing seemed strong in this first episode. The dialogue seemed fitting and natural given the circumstances, for the most part. The whole section at the
junkyard (incl. the dream sequence)
was perfect.

Give the developer love for this scene on Twitter, it was a big highlight of the game for me.

Mild spoilers for the scene

One of the highlights of this episode, really. I didn't think that sequence would go on for that long (even expected a fade to black) but it actually did the whole thing and I was impressed afterward.

Looking at the statistics
many didn't know to put money into Joyce's purse... me neither, unfortunately. Did I really miss this or did I just not get a prompt?!

Some general comments:
Upon announcement of Before the Storm, I didn't think a game starring Chloe was all that relevant due to seeing so much already. However, the first episode already nicely showcases the relationship that was there with Rachel Ambers and reveals missing pieces that were alluded to but never really explained in the first game. I'm glad in hindsight for fleshing out the backstory of both Chloe and Rachel especially; it makes the events that followed them all the more tragic and meaningful.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Nice OT! I'm excited to participate in discussion as all 3 episodes are released, since I only discovered LiS when Ep. 4 was already out.

Despite being a huge LiS fan, I was super skeptical about BtS when it was announced - wasn't sure how a prequel would fit in with the story and was gutted to hear that Ashly wouldn't be able to reprise her role.

But I've played through the first 2 chapters and it's been really damn good so far. Deck Nine and the new actress have nailed Chloe's voice and personality - love her mannerisms/animations in particular, they're just dripping with sarcasm and disdain at points, haha. Eager to dig into the rest during the weekend.

Rosa Lilium

Neo Member
On steamcharts.com, it looks like Before the Storm has gotten pretty close to the peak of the original Life is Strange.

Before the Storm:
http://steamcharts.com/app/554620

Life of Strange S1:
http://steamcharts.com/app/319630

This is despite the fact that Before the Storm hasn't yet added the people who will binge play it once it's all released.

After having played it myself, the most surprising take it is how much playing Before the Storm was like playing Life is Strange. If Dontnod had wanted to make this game, it seems like it would probably be very similar to what we actually got.

Another thought I have is there is going to be players who complete Before the Storm first and then go on to complete season one so I wonder how that will change what choices they make in S1.

SlickVic

Great to hear this seems to have turned out well. Life is Strange is a game I loved, but I wasn't sure what to expect from this after hearing another developer was making it. Also think it'll be weird to hear Chloe not being voiced by Ashly Burch, but sounds like a new VA does a pretty good job. Looking forward to checking it out.

It hurts me to see this game out without Burch. Absolutely loved the first. Was one of my fave games that year. Just can't bring myself to support things like this.

Rosa Lilium

Neo Member
Do you need to play the original first?

Not based on episode 1. However, people won't fully know till all three episodes and the bonus episode are released. Still, Deck Nine says that they're trying to make it so it doesn't matter what order you do it in:

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/08/07/life-is-strange-before-the-storm-length-explained

Finally, here’s some insight on whether or not to play the original Life is Strange before the prequel:

It’s really intentional for us that no matter which title you come to first, you can play through it, enjoy it, and then go play the other title. Nothing in our game will spoil anything from the original game.​

carlsojo

Sounds like Storyforge aligned really well with Life is Strange. Apart from tech, the writing seemed strong in this first episode. The dialogue seemed fitting and natural given the circumstances, for the most part. The whole section at the
junkyard (incl. the dream sequence)
was perfect.

One of the highlights of this episode, really. I didn't think that sequence would go on for that long (even expected a fade to black) but it actually did the whole thing and I was impressed afterward.

Looking at the statistics
many didn't know to put money into Joyce's purse... me neither, unfortunately. Did I really miss this or did I just not get a prompt?!

Some general comments:
Upon announcement of Before the Storm, I didn't think a game starring Chloe was all that relevant due to seeing so much already. However, the first episode already nicely showcases the relationship that was there with Rachel Ambers and reveals missing pieces that were alluded to but never really explained in the first game. I'm glad in hindsight for fleshing out the backstory of both Chloe and Rachel especially; it makes the events that followed them all the more tragic and meaningful.

Haven't gotten to the end yet to see the statistics but if you're like me
you spent your stolen money paying back Frank and buying weed in the beginning so you wouldn't have it to put in Joyce's purse.

NeoRaider

What a fantastic launch for Life is Strange: Before the Storm on Steam.
Already ~100k copies sold and overwhelmingly positive reviews (96%).

wrowa

But only 2 pages on GAF. Odd.

I liked it. Started off weak but got a lot better.

Yeah, I'm surprised this thread is so slow. I thought a lot of people here were really into Life is Strange.

But then again, I can't say I really care for Before the Storm either. We've only bought it, because my gf wants to play it. Personally, I can't shake the feeling of a fan fiction off of me.

Musolf815

What a fantastic launch for Life is Strange: Before the Storm on Steam.
Already ~100k copies sold and overwhelmingly positive reviews (96%).

I'm so happy this is doing well. I felt like I had to tell everyone that played games to check out the first one.

carlsojo

I just finished the episode. Thinking back to the original game I remember
that people wondered if Rachel had powers herself and that accounted for her having such an impact on everyone's lives. Everyone described her as "special". I don't know if Before the Storm explicitly showing that Rachel has powers diminishes the impact of LiS. It's hard to say without playing through the whole thing!

I'm waiting until all of the episodes are released, just like I did with the first one. You're not gonna get me to suffer the waits between each one.

IMO a lot of the fun was had between episodes speculating with reddit and gaf what would happen in the next one, but I totally get wanting to wait for the whole thing to play through it all at once.

This was awesome. So glad to be back with these characters and their world.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Especially
the whole scrap yard scene was amazing.
The part with the car was incredible
The soundtrack is again top notch. Really looking foreward to EP2. Any estimation on when we could expect it?

SE Toby

Neo Member
I got the deluxe edition, but it still says purchase full season in the episodes menu, this the same for anyone else?

It says the same for me! I thought I was the only one

This is a known display issue on our side that we're looking in to - If you purchased the Deluxe and still see this, rest assured - You do indeed have the Deluxe and all it's contents (Outfits in Chloe's Room, Mixtape Mode in the Extras Menu, Farewell coming later).

Wilson

Neo Member
This is a known display issue on our side that we're looking in to - If you purchased the Deluxe and still see this, rest assured - You do indeed have the Deluxe and all it's contents (Outfits in Chloe's Room, Mixtape Mode in the Extras Menu, Farewell coming later).

Can you please prod the dev team about adding proper 21:9 support? They confirmed support during the AMA but the game is just pillarboxed 16:9. Thanks.

FinalAres

So is there an engrossing plot, or is it more exclusively a character story? I got the feeling the latter from the trailers.

The spoiler and review threads went off before the OT thread was made.

To add to that, no one claimed an OT for the game in the OT coordination thread. So that's why there was no OT posted at launch. I only claimed it once realised and put together something a bit bare bones. Give it some time yet for it to pick up.

Necron

So Karak tells me it looks worse than the first game and feels worse too. Is that right?

Hard to say based on a singular episode that's approx. 2.5 hours long but it's good so far (even to those that didn't like Chloe all that much, I'd say). The animations (and lip-sync) are definitely better than before.

So is there an engrossing plot, or is it more exclusively a character story? I got the feeling the latter from the trailers.

I'd say the main focus is on the characters themselves (i.e. Chloe and Rachel) but there is an overarching plot, one I'm imagining will explain several events leading into Life is Strange.

Akai__

Episode 1 is pretty nice. I kinda like that you don't get to immediately undo the "wrong" choices that you have made. I'll stick with them, until the end and then I will do an other playthrough with different choices.

I'll do the remaining Graffiti's in the Collector Mode and then it's waiting time for the next episode(s).

So Karak tells me it looks worse than the first game and feels worse too. Is that right?

In terms of feels, the controls are a bit stiffer than I remember. But looking worse? Nah. If anything, it looks better. Animations and lip syncing that plagued the first LiS is gone.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Give the developer love for this scene on Twitter, it was a big highlight of the game for me.

Mild spoilers for the scene

Thanks for that, I tweeted praise but also asked him if it was a
reference/inspired by the last Freaks & Geeks episode, Discos and Dragons.

My favorite part of the ep.

It's mostly about two characters getting to know eachother. I'm guessing that it'll expand to a more involved story in later eps, but I wouldn't mind it just being a series of vignettes about Chloe and Rachel. It doesn't have the supernatural element of LiS, and I feel like that's an asset more than anything. Feels even more like a slice of life.

are episodes longer? i've seen people mention it can take up to 3 hours. maybe my memory is going but i don't remember LiS being that long per episode. i swear it was like 40-60 minutes.

There is one optional segment that adds quite a bit of time, but no one should skip it. You can also waste a lot of time by inspecting everything and talking to everyone. My playtime was definitely 3+ hours.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
are episodes longer? i've seen people mention it can take up to 3 hours. maybe my memory is going but i don't remember LiS being that long per episode. i swear it was like 40-60 minutes.

Nah, every episode of LiS 1 was never in the hour long ball park. The first three were around an hour-and-a-half to two hours with episodes four and five being around two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half hours long.

As for episode one of Before the Storm, I finished it in roughly two-and-a-half hours.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Nah, every episode of LiS 1 was never in the hour long ball park. The first three were around an hour-and-a-half to two hours with episodes four and five being around two-and-a-half to three-and-a-half hours long.

As for episode one of Before the Storm, I finished it in roughly two-and-a-half hours.

ah ok. my memory is going then :) thanks.

a thought:

(spoilers for the end of episode 1)

How the hell did Rachel's scream cause a gust of wind to appear out of nowhere? Is it possible that she, like Max, has some kind of weird ability? We never got an explanation of how Max got her powers and I wonder if there aren't more people like her out there. I mean, I'm certain there are, or maybe I'm reading into this too much and the wind was just for dramatic flair, but I dunno. Food for thought.

I'll do the remaining Graffiti's in the Collector Mode and then it's waiting time for the next episode(s).
I encountered a problem with collector mode. When I went back to find the last graffiti (which was early in the game) it erased my later choices. So I had to play through the episode again :/

Akai__

I encountered a problem with collector mode. When I went back to find the last graffiti (which was early in the game) it erased my later choices. So I had to play through the episode again :/

But that's what the Collector Mode is for. It shouldn't overwrite your choices?

a thought:

(spoilers for the end of episode 1)

How the hell did Rachel's scream cause a gust of wind to appear out of nowhere? Is it possible that she, like Max, has some kind of weird ability? We never got an explanation of how Max got her powers and I wonder if there aren't more people like her out there. I mean, I'm certain there are, or maybe I'm reading into this too much and the wind was just for dramatic flair, but I dunno. Food for thought.

I'm pretty sure Rachel got powers

I only just heard Daughter composed all this music for the game, and it has me super stoked. Love when collaborations like this happen.

Top Bottom