• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

SalvaPot

Want to get into this series, but haven't watched Season 1? Feel free to ask! Or you can just go to the OT for the first season right here

Want to talk about the manga and spoilers of any kind? Click Here

p3vkWHH.jpg

5Cm9kjW.gif

It's fine now. Why? Because I'm here!!!

Midoriya Izuku, nicknamed Deku, finally realized his dream of joining the most prestigious Hero Academy, U. A., where he will learn the abilities needed to become the No. 1 Hero in the world!

The sports festival is coming up and its a prime opportunity for an aspiring Hero to show off their potential, get sponsors and gain fans! Exciting activities are broadcasted live, pitting the students one against the others in not-so-friendly competitions to come out on top!

But in the background, dangers old and new take form as Villains bide their time. Will their paths cross with our heroes? Of course they will! Go beyond! PLUS ULTRA!

Studio: BONES (Fullmetal Alchemist, Eureka Seven, Space Dandy)
Based on the Manga by Kōhei Horikoshi published in Weekly Shonen Jump.
Directed by Kenji Nagasaki
Written by Yōsuke Kuroda
Music by Yuki Hayashi

When and where to watch
Simulcast in both English Dub AND Sub, 1 hour after the Japanese release for the first 6 episodes (FunimationNow)

Funimation

Crunchyroll

Saturdays at 5:30 p.m (JPT) / 1:30 am (PST), 3:30am (EST), 8:30am (UTC).

Promo pics, previews and stuff:

Rules and Suggestions

1) Manga Spoilers should go to the Manga Thread and are not allowed in the Anime thread. If you have the need to discuss manga spoilers in relation to the anime, go to the Manga thread right here.. A good Hero is always mindful of others.

2) Everything aired is fair game and there is no need to spoiler tag it. If you haven't watched the most recent episode yet, avoid this thread until then. A good Hero is always well informed.

3) Avoid sexually explicit pictures, remember some of us are at work or with grandma. If its something you wouldn't show grandma, you really should consider not sharing it here. A good Hero is always looking out for his peers.

4) Do not link to any sites where you can watch the show unofficially and also do not discuss anything related to said sites. This is basic NeoGAF ToS, sames as scans. A good Hero always upholds the law.

Wall of Glory for Season 1 OT
4o8HNRd.png

Here we go again!
tumblr_o52089FunD1qaib74o1_500.gif

cntr

Banned
I'd include the UTC time too, that's easier to calculate from if you're outside the US.

(the episodes are out 8:30 UTC)

This show looks pretty cool. Saw it advertised ...think I'll go ahead and give it a watch later from season 1! Thanks for the thread. Art style is really cool.

mdubs

Banned
Yay! I can't wait, and the simuldub happening now is great!

This is going to be such a great season especially if they get to *the fight*

cntr

Banned
Apparently, the reason they're able to do a simuldub is because Bones is really far ahead with the production schedule this time. So looks like Season 2 isn't gonna have any of the pacing or animation problems of Season 1.

SalvaPot

I'd include the UTC time too, that's easier to calculate from if you're outside the US.

(the episodes are out 8:30 UTC)

That is am, correct? Added it to the OT.

Also I am taking suggestion if there is anything we need to add to it, I was planning on adding the characthers but I figured most people know them from S1.

Trojita provided that sweet OT Title.

This show looks pretty cool. Saw it advertised ...think I'll go ahead and give it a watch later from season 1! Thanks for the thread. Art style is really cool.
Welcome! Share with us your impressions if you decide to give it a go x), this show has an active GAF community (specially the manga side) and we like to talk. A lot.

Nightbird

Im-In-gif.gif

Today is a good day

Apparently, the reason they're able to do a simuldub is because Bones is really far ahead with the production schedule this time. So looks like Season 2 isn't gonna have any of the pacing or animation problems of Season 1.

Really? Thats really good to hear

SalvaPot

Aw, Crunchyroll only tells me it airs in 1 hour and 15 minutes :'(

That is because the simulcast is an hour after the Japanese release, I made a mistake on the OT, its fixed now x).

So yes, subbed/dubbed is in an hour (and 6 minutes)

cntr

Banned
also wait, isn't the EST time listed wrong? it should be 4:30 am, right?

Season 3 when

How many episodes are they airing?
they're probably doing 25 or 26 episodes

and if they do, and do the pacing right, season 3's gonna take forever since they'll be pretty much caught up to the manga. (the ideal endpoint is chapter 95, the manga is currently on chapter 132)

Ill actually scream if they get up to 95.
Honestly i was only expecting the next 2 arcs to be animated then another long wait dont F this up BONES!

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
So happy to have crunchyroll sub right now, will be watching this in 3 minutes! :)

What are the spoiler rules of the thread? Is everything fair game after airing or is there a grace period?

Until I know for sure I'll just spoiler tag this for know. Episode 14 reaction:
With All Might's condition there was really no avoiding passing the torch sooner rather than later, but man... how can Midoriya be ready in time to bear it? Being the symbol of hope is kind of a big deal. Also paints a giant target on your back, which is kind of a problem for someone who breaks a limb every time they use their power. Maybe we'll get a good ole fashioned shonen training action happening to whip our boy into proper fighting form.

Oh boy.
Almost the first half was recap. Rip
Even still i got chills from it and the animation looks better aswell.
Honestly the beginning recap with Deku in ofa was hype.

Bones added a lot more character interactions which redeemed it for me. I liked when ashido leaned backwards she almsot fell and Tsuyu stabalised her.

Ochako still the best

The OP and ED are great.
I like it better than Season 1s!
The ED is super cute

Also mayb its me but Kaminari looks "hotter" in some scenes🤔🤔🤔

Edit:
They absolutely nailed those action lines at the end i cant wait for future moments with them

Nightbird

I hope they do cut back on the Flashbacks and recaps with the future episodes. >.>

Other than that, this was a very strong first episode! Glad to see MHA back!

Also: There's a new best Girl in town

cntr

Banned
Hm. Serious mixed feelings about this episode.

The animation, pacing, and direction improved a lot from Season 1. Especially the pacing. They even started using sound effects like they should, both English and Japanese! That's something should've been doing from the beginning.

But...they covered one chapter in this episode. One. Like, there's still a chance they're doing that to smoothen out the flow and not end at a weird point, and most of the episode was essentially recap anyway, but fuck the season is going to be bad if they don't shape up. It just wouldn't work, especially once they go beyond this arc.

On the other hand, aside from the very end of the episode, the pacing was fairly good. The added scenes and interactions were really good, and way better than the flashback spam of Season 1, but even what flashbacks they had weren't jarring and flow-ruining like Season 1's. Even the recaps were fairly well paced and placed. That overdramatic sequence at the end though, oof.

So whether this season is shit or not depends on whether they shape up the chapter:episode count in the next few episodes and if they don't, fuck that, just read the manga. We're talking Toei fucking up One Piece-tier horseshit at that point.

(also, Ochako felt really Kill la Kill Mako this episode, which was weird.)

Didn't know this was coming back so soon.

While I wasn't the biggest fan of the first season, it did pick up for me at the end so I'm looking forward to watching more.

StayDead

I'm mostly up to date with the manga, I still haven't watched the anime yet though.

Is the anime good as well? Usually I try to avoid reading/watching the same things as watching something I've already read can be quite samey.

cntr

Banned
I'm mostly up to date with the manga, I still haven't watched the anime yet though.

Is the anime good as well? Usually I try to avoid reading/watching the same things as watching something I've already read can be quite samey.
Season 1 was almost garbage. They adapted an average of 1 to 1.5 chapters per episode (21 chapters in 13 episodes), with an A-team of animators putting in a B-team level of work. If you've read the manga, don't bother. (And if you watched the anime, read the manga instead.)

Whether Season 2 goes down the same route or not remains to be seen, but it's not looking good at the moment.

The music was and is gonna be pretty good, though.

I completely disagree with cntr. The anime is excellent! Do watch it. The key moments were so good I was legit crying of fanboyism at times. Easily one of my favorite adaptation! and you know what Season 2 starts STRONG!

My Hero academia S2 ep.1

Wow....this first episode! Everything to start to finish was sooooooooooooooooo good! And it had like 5 minute of recap! BUT WOW!
First just how the show introduction, with a lone Deku standing alone as a last hope before a huge group of villain in a dark environment. This was for me such a cool call back to him saying at the start of season 1 that this was the story of how he became the greatest hero. From him standing up to activating OfA to the villain running toward him...just that first minute got my blood pumping!
BUT THEN...if things weren'T enought the OP starts and OMG. This screamed to me shit is going to go down so much. From starting on a shot of All Might jumping in the background to seeing each character strech to prepare for the grand day and then cut to the tournament stating with Deku and Todoroki. Then the wuick shot of All Might landing and seeing everyone rapidly...this was great.(Damn you dimming!)

Queue the episode. Little flashback starts, but the way they handle it imo was great. The extra anime scene with Deku in his room showing how he personnaly himself deal with the huge event that just came to past was very well done. While short it showed what I appreciate the most out of MHA the SoL part of every character. Him watching All Might on his computer, while doing some weight training to get his thoughts together was on point. Income his cute Mom calling him for supper and both of them exchanging a smile. Small detail, but what a great family.
As for the rest of the episode it was mostly character animation, but everything about them made me smile. Every single one of them has such expressive animation. All Might writing to someone? teases us for things to come. How they handle the Tomura incident identifying him as a the man-child and All Might be scared about a possible mastermind. Then the students themselves....What a fun bunch! From Iida weird little entry, Jirou making fun of Kaminari, Tsuyu slapping Mineta so fast as he was about to make a dirty comment, Ochako suddenly becoming so serious and Ojiro making obvious comment to invisible girl. Their intreraction are so lively! I love it.
Follow that up with the cutest baby Ochako ever, to All Might acting like a young school kid and asking Midoriya for lunch. Those were both so heartwarming and Hilarious.
That ending tho! *Young Midoriya! I want you to tell the world....I AM HERE!* gets me everytime. I loved the visualisation of the pressure that put on Deku.

This was an amazing first episode, just a little recap to make new viewers more comfortable and some great expositions for things to come!

Ascheroth

Depends on how much you like the manga.
Season 1 doesn't really add much to the manga and is quite slowly paced.
They totally nail the emotional and hype moments though. OST is phenomal as well.

cntr

Banned
Oh, yeah, the added scene at the beginning was pretty good.

Season 1 might be decent if you've read the manga and want to see a few scenes animated, but as an introduction to the series, it was an atrocity.

Just get a copy of the OST, and you'll get 90% of what's good about Season 1.

Baby Ochako needs to be protected.
-------------------------

BTW the english dub is still soooooo on point! I just can't get over the fact that we already have a english dub. Such a great morning.

StayDead

Depends on how much you like the manga.
Season 1 doesn't really add much to the manga and is quite slowly paced.
They totally nail the emotional and hype moments though. OST is phenomal as well.

I like the manga a lot more than I thought I would. I'll give it a watch.

cntr

Banned
Hmm.

On consideration, I'd say that the episode was really good. The concern over whether they're going to improve the chapter to episode ratio is not, but the episode itself was more than fine.

Top Bottom