• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC asked 253 critics to determine the best comedies ever made. The results are...

Elandyll

Banned
I'm surprised "A Fish Called Wanda" (36) is so low in a British ranking tbh

Groundhog Day represent (my all time #1).

No Borat, Pineapple Express, Dodgeball, that Funeral movie, 21st Jump street, Hot Fuzz etc makes me not trust the critics at all.

Makes me trust them more, as those moves were fucking awful.

Hot take: old movies aren't funny any more. Good luck laughing at anything before 1980.

Different strokes. I can't remember the last recent comedy that actually had me laughing aside from Mean Girls, and that was only because the Bus Scene was so out of nowhere.

does it make a critic just not cool if they include anything from the year 2000+?

great movies in the top ten, i just always find these lists weird, as if they are saying nothing that tops those movies has come out in like 30 years. idk about that

Top ten:
1 from the 20's,
1 from the 30's
1 from the 50's
2 from the 60's
2 from the 70's
2 from the 80's
1 from the 90's

There's a 70 years old range there. It's a very diverse top ten list time-wise.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tons of shit not on the list post 85. Not that all of this would make a top 100 list, but basically none of this made the list.

Bill & Ted
Wayne's World
PCU
Tommy Boy
Ace Ventura
Clerks
Malrats
Friday
American Pie
Road Trip
40 Yo Virgin
Old School
Dodgeball
Napoleon Dynamite
Hot Fuzz
Pineapple Express
Superbad
Zombieland
21 Jump Street

Life of Brian and Duck Soup are #1 and #2 for me.

Good list overall but -don't hurt me GAF- having tried to rewatch Airplane recently, it doesn't hold up super well nowadays. Still a good movie of course but I don't think it belongs in this conversation.

Hot take: old movies aren't funny any more. Good luck laughing at anything before 1980.

Clever to put your cutoff date on the year Airplane came out but The Producers, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles and most of Monty Python are great.

...So Mel Brooks and Monty Python basically.

When you've watched comedies since the 1920s, like comparing Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton and Billy Wilder and Mel Brooks to post-2000 comedies, and the age of the critics not being under 25 and a lot of them from being around the whole world instead of just English speaking countries, makes a lot of sense. There are people here who would consider Shaun Of The Dead (2004) as part of their growing up so they would place it higher than some of these critics.

I've never seen Some Like It Hot, but now I will. Glad to see Airplane! and Withnail And I so high. Great list. I need to see more Buñuel films.

Bread

Banned
The idea that someone would actually top Kek at Duck Soup or Jacque Tati stretches credulity. Seems like a cred measuring contest. Life of Brian and Some Like it Hot are genuinely deserved though. Pulp Fiction? Gtfo
...duck soup is one of the funniest movies i've ever seen tho

Leynos

The Big Lebowski being a no-show in the top ten is pardoned by the inclusion of Raising Arizona on the list.

nkarafo

As far as Bill Murray comedies go i would rate Ghostbusters higher than Groundhog Day. Both are great though.

Blader

The most galling thing might be The Hangover at 98 over The King of Comedy at 100. And I liked The Hangover.

This is probably what killed Jerry Lewis

Dalek

Based on the GAF feedback in this thread-I'm not sure if I should complain about the lack of Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein from those lists.

Guess my humor skews old.

The Big Lebowski being a no-show in the top ten is pardoned by the inclusion of Raising Arizona on the list.

Raising Arizona was a classic. I watched it again recently...teh funny was definitely lacking.

edit: No Home Alone either? Whew.

edit: No Uncle Buck either? Yea I'm out. This is some bullshit.

Richie

Groundhog Day was a hell of a ride, but it struck me more as a dramedy if anything. Doing the 50 movies' challenge this year so this is a handy list to have.

Top Bottom