• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pirating 'The Talos Principle' Will Trap You in an Elevator

Still the best:

Buyitordie.png

I heard that one was actually put in by the people that dumped the game.

Adnor

Banned
I can't believe they go ask in the Steam forums, where everyone can see if they own the game or not.

EDIT: I forgot they can make their profile private.

Interesting, how did people pirate Snes games back in 1994?

Cartridge "backup" devices. You'd rip the cartridge, then play back, essentially, the ROM file with the device serving as the cartridge. Anti-piracy against these devices tended to work by checking against memory addresses and other elements of the physical hardware that weren't strictly duplicated by the simple ripping process.

I don't think I've ever seen a documented case of this happening.

It's not uncommon at all. Jenn Frank wrote an article about it a couple years ago. It's extremely difficult to write algorithms for these things that are completely reliable, just like it's extremely difficult to write software that does anything and is extremely reliable.

MUnited83

For you.
I can't believe they go ask in the Steam forums, where everyone can see if they own the game or not.

EDIT: I forgot they can make their profile private.

Actually, you can still see if they own the game. See the small mouse symbol that first guy replying has next to his name? That indicates that he owns the game. The guy who made the thread doesn't have it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Not as good as Croteam's Serious Sam 3 having an unkillable scorpion monster that followed you around forever if you pirated the game

I dunno, I like the subtle things that can be mistaken as bugs, especially when people make posts to complain about them like above lol

yatesl

I'm trying to remember the developer, but someone talked about this happening a couple years ago -- they implemented an anti-piracy mode that basically made the game seem much buggier than it normally was, which meant the game was widely reported as being super buggy. If you're gonna do this kind of thing, you want to make it really, really obvious.

I think it was Far Cry 4? I didn't read in to it, but I think I remember it having some graphical error.

The only problem was they did it by releasing a day one patch for 'legit' customers, so when people got the game early (but didn't pirate), it still happened.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the DS version of Dragon Quest V had a -magical- troll. If you were playing on an R4, a boat you ride after a couple hours of gameplay will just keep sailing... and sailing... and sailing... forever.

squall23

The devs of This War of Mine did the reverse of something like this. They went to the most seeded torrent on piratebay and actual gave out legitimate copies.

Haha, fantastic. I seem to remember Codemasters implementing something similar in the early 2000's.

My buddy had a ripped version of Colin McRae Rally 2.0, and the game would let you pick a car and a course but would freeze at the loading screen. The ultimate frustration. Served him, I suppose!

LayLa

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the DS version of Dragon Quest V had a -magical- troll. If you were playing on an R4, a boat you ride after a couple hours of gameplay will just keep sailing... and sailing... and sailing... forever.

Ahaha, that's amazing! The DS version of Umihara Kawase had an anti-piracy measure where after 10 minutes or so the hookshot would stop gripping to walls and would even snap off! iirc this even applied to the tutorial cutscenes lolol.

I am in two minds about these kind of things. Sure it is kinda cool to "expose" pirates like this. However it can also effect legit owners of the game. I have had experience of it myself with GTA 4. If you pirated GTA 4 you would get a drunk cam kicking in and would be unable to use the computers in the internet cafes. Unfortunately this "protection" would kick in at a drop of a fucking hat and many users with legit copies experienced it.

Naturally the minute you went on a board complaining of drunk cam and non-working computers you were instantly labelled a "pirate". Not for one minute did it occur to anyone that person could be a legit customer and it is the copy protection fucking up because as we all know developers are 100% perfect and everything they do works 100% of the time so that must mean the guy was a pirate.

I am in two minds about these kind of things. Sure it is kinda cool to "expose" pirates like this. However it can also effect legit owners of the game. I have had experience of it myself with GTA 4. If you pirated GTA 4 you would get a drunk cam kicking in and would be unable to use the computers in the internet cafes. Unfortunately this "protection" would kick in at a drop of a fucking hat and many users with legit copies experienced it.

Naturally the minute you went on a board complaining of drunk cam and non-working computers you were instantly labelled a "pirate". Not for one minute did it occur to anyone that person could be a legit customer and it is the copy protection fucking up because as we all know developers are 100% perfect and everything they do works 100% of the time so that must mean the guy was a pirate.

Luckily for Steam, the mouse icon makes it pretty clear who owns the game legitimately and who doesn't :)
ibmhaqbw3kk9jI.png

Luckily for Steam, the mouse icon makes it pretty clear who owns the game legitimately and who doesn't :)
ibmhaqbw3kk9jI.png

GTA 4 isn't a steam game. I used to be a huge fan of GTA and bought my PC copy retail which doesn't use steam. So naturally because I couldn't "prove" I bought it off steam (because you know everyone buys every damn thing off steam) I must be a pirate.

At the end of the day these bullshit bugs devs put into the game are a form of DRM that hurt paying customers just as much as pirates. Infact it probably hurts paying customers more cos they are stuck with it but pirates can easily release a crackfix to negate it.

GTA 4 isn't a steam game. I used to be a huge fan of GTA and bought my PC copy retail which doesn't use steam. So naturally because I couldn't "prove" I bought it off steam (because you know everyone buys every damn thing off steam) I must be a pirate.

At the end of the day these bullshit bugs devs put into the game are a form of DRM that hurt paying customers just as much as pirates. Infact it probably hurts paying customers more cos they are stick with it but pirates can easily release a crackfix to negate it.

Why would legitimate customers encounter these pirate bugs? Is your example of GTA 4 pirate bugs affecting legit customers something able to generalise for your argument or just a rare instance?

At the end of the day these bullshit bugs devs put into the game are a form of DRM that hurt paying customers just as much as pirates. Infact it probably hurts paying customers more cos they are stuck with it but pirates can easily release a crackfix to negate it.

I wonder how common it is for these piracy measures to bleed over in to paying customers? In The Talos Principle's case it is only available via Steam, so that's the DRM there. Pretty much ensures that you're not going to get any "anti-piracy bugs" if you're playing legit. It really cannot happen unless you've downloaded the cracked version in this case. It would take a major fuck up for it to be even possible.

Why would legitimate customers encounter these pirate bugs?

Because developers are NOT infallible shit they make breaks or doesn't do exactly what it is supposed to do. Hell half the time we are lucky if the bloody game even works as advertised never mind encountering bullshit bugs INTENTIONALLY put into the game. I really love how some on here think anti-piracy measures are 100% accurate all of the time and that if you are experiencing these measures it must be because you are an evil pirate and not because the anti-piracy measures are fucking up.

I own GTA 4 on retail disc and I have encounted Rockstars anti-piracy mechanisms in my retail purchased copy. It happened that bloody often I went to search for help in trying to solve my issues. I couldn't get a single shred of advice other than "herp derp buy the game you evil pirate"

Cartridge "backup" devices. You'd rip the cartridge, then play back, essentially, the ROM file with the device serving as the cartridge. Anti-piracy against these devices tended to work by checking against memory addresses and other elements of the physical hardware that weren't strictly duplicated by the simple ripping process.

It's not uncommon at all. Jenn Frank wrote an article about it a couple years ago. It's extremely difficult to write algorithms for these things that are completely reliable, just like it's extremely difficult to write software that does anything and is extremely reliable.

Stuff like this was pretty popular here in Italy

Cool thanks!

In EB's case, there's 5 layers of copy protection that get passed when you start playing the game:

-Region Check (Are you playing on a PAL/EU console?)
-SRAM Check (Checks if the game has 8KB of SRAM. If this fails, you get stuck.)
-Programming Check (If the game's programming is modified, the game heavily increases the number of random enemies on the screen.)
-Secondary Check (Random stuff mostly including another SRAM Check)
-Final Boss Check (Assuming you passed all of the above checks, if you're still playing on a pirated game, the game freezes up during the Final Boss fight, deletes all save data, and then resets the game.)

EB Zero (Mother 1) has some similar checks in that if you try to load up a pirated game, you get an Anti-Piracy screen and bits get changed in the Save RAM which then bricks the cart.

That's quite amazing. So if for example I tried to play it on an emulator would these checks kick in? (For the record I'm not actually going to, my backlog is huge enough as it is. Just genuinely curious).

Phreak47

Alan Wake's anti-piracy was actually cool. Remedy are a bit too relaxed about piracy.

alan-wake-eye-patch-610x343.jpg

SOWKh.jpg

Was going to bring up that one. And yes, a "patch patch" was released too, in case you were a pirate that felt offended even by this measure.

If I remember correctly, on the loading screens there were also messages along the lines of "If you buy the game, blah blah"/

Here's the thing... devs don't HAVE to write code designed to check if a game is pirated or not... They can just do what Game Dev Tycoon did and released the modified game themselves. Release your 'cracked' version day one (the same day most cracks appear) before the scene devs get their version out.

You poison the waters by having your broken version out first which will inevitably get more downloads and hit when your game is most vulnerable to loss of sales (the first few days).

After the issues are reported, you let everyone know that was your anti-piracy to shame the hell out of the pirates and then you reap the positive PR because everyone likes to laugh at dirty pirates.

How does stuff like this work? As in, how does the game recognize that it's a pirated copy?

Lots of ways, amongst the simplest is to just do an MD5 check of your main executable and see if it's been modified. If it doesn't match, turn on hilarious anti-piracy measure X.

Five

Banned
How does stuff like this work? As in, how does the game recognize that it's a pirated copy?

Usually via file checksums. Run a hashing code over the game binary to generate a semi-unique hash and compare it to a known value that the hash is supposed to be. It can be gotten around either by hacking out the checksum code or by manipulating the binary so it outputs an identical hash, but both of those things are hard to do.

After the issues are reported, you let everyone know that was your anti-piracy to shame the hell out of the pirates and then you reap the positive PR because everyone likes to laugh at dirty pirates.

I feel like you shouldn't shame people for acquiring a file that you deliberately distributed, especially since at that point it's no longer illegal.

I'm trying to remember the developer, but someone talked about this happening a couple years ago -- they implemented an anti-piracy mode that basically made the game seem much buggier than it normally was, which meant the game was widely reported as being super buggy. If you're gonna do this kind of thing, you want to make it really, really obvious.

There are a few that come to mind:
Black Sigil (DS) - The publisher (Graffiti Entertainment) claimed that the game-breaking bugs were an anti-piracy measure, but considering that A) Plenty of people with confirmed legit cartridges were experiencing the bugs, B) The devs themselves had no idea of what Graffiti was referring to (and IIRC the devs mentioned that Graffiti had published an older, buggier build instead of the final build), and C) No signs of Anti-Piracy code could be found by ROM hackers, it's most likely that the publisher was lying.

Titan Quest - This is probably the one that you were thinking of, as I believe the dev has gone on record saying that the anti-piracy measures made the game buggier for pirates, which negatively affected the game's word-of-mouth, as people thought it was buggy, contributing to the game's failure.

Bodom78

Wow, these are really cool. Nice to see the devs messing with the pirates. If you can't stop it, at least have some fun toying with them.

You know what would have been really horrible? Putting in one of those sigil puzzles that didn't have the right pieces to be solved, making it impossible.

q0ApiYB.jpg

I feel like you shouldn't shame people for acquiring a file that you deliberately distributed, especially since at that point it's no longer illegal.

If your only distribution was via websites that intentionally only deliver pirated games... Yes, they should be able to shame them. It's not like they put it on the main page of their website and said "Free $60 game here! Hah you guys are chumps for believing that!"

It's also not illegal for them to do that with the software they own.

Five

Banned
If your only distribution was via websites that intentionally only deliver pirated games... Yes, they should be able to shame them. It's not like they put it on the main page of their website and said "Free $60 game here! Hah you guys are chumps for believing that!"

It's also not illegal for them to do that with the software they own.

Piracy is the unauthorized use or reproduction of software. Distributing the software yourself, even if on a site called the pirate bay, is authorizing use and reproduction, so does not count as piracy.

Why would legitimate customers encounter these pirate bugs?

Because computers aren't magical? If you want to detect that someone is running software illicitly you can't just deduce that from nothing, you need to define a system by which that detection is performed -- which means carefully identifying elements of the game install or the system that should look like X, but when pirated look like Y instead. The problem with this is that computers have a ton of variance in all kinds of things (different OSes, different updates installed, different filesystems, different hardware, different directory structure, etc. etc. etc....) and all kinds of things you might think will "definitely" look like X could very well fail to do so on a given system.

Certainly it's possible to do better or worse at this. If you're conservative, you can keep false positives very low (although then you won't hit most actual pirates either.) But there's always going to be a risk that you misidentify your illicit customers.

Chrono Trigger DS has a similar measure. You know the short, trippy animation that plays whenever you do a time warp? If you were playing from a flashcart, the first time you go through the time warp, it loops endlessly.

Falcs

Banned
Not sure if anyone is familiar with the puzzle platformer game 'Puggsy' from Travellers Tales back in 1993. I had it for the MegaDrive. Pretty great game! Anyway, playing it on an emulator will work fine for the first few levels, then you're greeted with this:

Puggsy005.jpg

Amazing, considering the year it was released. Not quite sure how this would have been triggered back in the day. Either way, cool!
Wholey shit!! I played this game at a friend's house when I was a kid and I really liked it. I never knew what it was called and I've thought about it every now and then for the past almost 20 years and wondered what game it was. Now I know what it was!! Thank you! Now if only I could somehow get my hands on it.

Eddie Bax

Could SNES games even fit on a floppy?

Most could, yes, barring some big RPGs.

IIRC, the single biggest SNES/Super Famicom game (storage-wise) was Tales of Phantasia, at 48 megabits, or 6 megabytes. The smallest ROM size available was 2 megabits, or about 250 kilobytes.

16-bit games, barring those on CD with FMV/redbook audio, are tiny.

Top Bottom