• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lost art of Final Fantasy IX (Mama Robotnik Research Thread)

arcath-

Neo Member
From the screenshots of the upcoming pc port, it doesn't look like they worked too much on the backgrounds.

Hopefully with the way they are modding FF5/6 now finally, maybe there is a chance to mod it in manually though.

Problem is it's only a small part of the background images. Unless someone managed to unearth more or Square mysteriously finds it in some files, I doubt we will get all of them. At least the bigger more 3D areas with textures will be easy for modders.

nimbusstev

Neo Member
Probably a long shot, but since a lot of that work was done by American freelancers, do you think there's any way modders can get in touch with them to get some of the files? I don't know if they'd still have the files or if they'd even legally be allowed to share them, but since we know who designed most of these backgrounds, maybe they can lend a hand in getting the large scrollable images.

I finally checked out all the links. A few more on those than what she had posted. That art of the Evil Forest with the mushrooms looks glorious. Too bad it won't let me right click and save these.

Rosenskjold

Revisiting this thread makes me hope so bad that there will be mods for FFIX with the original backgrounds and other detail they had to scrap for the psx.

Ichisuke

Neo Member
What about the original full motion videos? Did they lost those too? Because if you search carefully you'll find "HD" resolution (1280*768) of official Squaresoft wallpapers that I suppose are taken from those FMVs. They were on the original US(and japanese I think) website back at the time.
http://www.ffshrine.org/ff9/ff9_wallpapers.php
Look at the one with Vivi on the floor, Steiner or Bahamut with Alexander, you can clearly see that those are not upscaled screenshots.
There are some little different details(most noticeable the missing moon in the Bahamut fight with Alexander). Or maybe those were just "mockups" for marketing?

Qwark

Apologies for the late bump, but I was looking through this incredible art and it got me wondering about Blank. Does he have some kind of backstory to explain why he looks the way he does? Why is he so stitched up, is he some kind of Frankenstein thing? I don't recall them ever really explaining that in the game, and with the limited detail at the time it was difficult to really even see his stitches.

Top Bottom