• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Not in today's world, but when the press is just a rumor and falls in line with what the competition is doing, this kind of debate simply means more people will be interested in chatting about the PS4, regardless of which side of the fence you're on (or even if you're perched on top of it).

Except for those claiming that due to this they're going to or are canceling preorders. I think that is a very small percentage, but, you do not want people canceling preorder based on potential misinformation.

Kyoufu

Being better than Xbox One doesn't mean anything. Dev-tools early in a console's life is always 'rough around the edges.' Just because it's a new, friendlier architecture doesn't magically make them super tools.

And you think Sony can say "hey our tools are better than Xbox's?" They can't.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Perhaps this is the result of you trying too hard.

jayu26

its not. My only issue with this whole thing is the flex memory I am extremely curious about why they set that up. Without any context it makes no sense.

only two reasons I can come up with.

1. If devs want to use the flex memory some OS features cannot be used or are limited in functionality

2. (tinfoil hat) there is some architectural limitation on the amount of memory games can directly address.

Might want to read the article, flexible memory is 100% for games and has nothing to do with OS reservations.

Although you can frame the question like: why is it flexible not direct to begin with (if it is indeed 100% for games)? Why are they doing it that way? And what are the advantages/disadvantages of this?

Being better than Xbox One doesn't mean anything. Dev-tools early in a console's life is always 'rough around the edges.' Just because it's a new, friendlier architecture doesn't magically make them super tools.

And you think Sony can say "hey our tools are better than Xbox's?" They can't.

Actually, I believe some third party devs said that Sony's tools are more "mature", for the time being anyway.

Except for those claiming that due to this they're going to or are canceling preorders. I think that is a very small percentage, but, you do not want people canceling preorder based on potential misinformation.
This is NeoGAF. Only a few people would seriously consider cancelling their pre-order based on unconfirmed rumors. If they really want the system, they will get it. I doubt Sony "cares" either way, considering the mountain of existing pre-orders that currently stand above the One's numbers.

Plus, with the sour mood brought on by this news, it puts a shadow over the PS4 launch. It's the shadow that had been sitting firmly over the Xbone. Sony needs to change the focus fast, or the whining going on among the few will leak out to the many and may change public perception about which console is the one to buy.

Any press is good press, huh?

Not in today's world, but when the press is just a rumor and falls in line with what the competition is doing, this kind of debate simply means more people will be interested in chatting about the PS4, regardless of which side of the fence you're on (or even if you're perched on top of it)

Sorry I don't follow. Do you mean the fact that the DRM rumor/news that came out and then was confirmed by Microsoft themselves at E3 or?

Skin-Burn-Treatment1.jpg

yeah, go home and be a salary man.

Snakeyes

I have some news for all of you.

While I cannot make comment on the actual numbers (and the OS / features are probably still being developed anyway) I can tell you why Sony isn't going to "end this nonsense" that is going on within this thread and potentially a few others.

You're talking about the PS4. Even though most of it is uninformed speculation, you're talking about the PS4. The more you discuss it, the bigger it becomes in the mind's eye.

And it has the added bonus of making Sony look better in the public eye after they finally dispel the rumors.

Vestal

Gold Member
Might want to read the article, flexible memory is 100% for games and has nothing to do with OS reservations.

Although you can frame the question like: why is it flexible not direct to begin with (if it is indeed 100% for games)? Why are they doing it that way? And what are the advantages/disadvantages of this?
that is exactly my point. It makes no sense for the existence of flex memory without some of the reasons I posted

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
This is NeoGAF. Only a few people would seriously consider cancelling their pre-order based on unconfirmed rumors. If they really want the system, they will get it. I doubt Sony "cares" either way, considering the mountain of existing pre-orders that currently stand above the One's numbers.

Well, I'm not disagreeing it's a very small percentage of cancels based on this, but no company wants cancels based on misinformation. This is something they can address if they care or are actually listening. I generally agree with you though.

jayu26

that is exactly my point. It makes no sense for the existence of flex memory without some of the reasons I posted

Again, just because we don't understand it does not mean it make no sense. Obviously they did it for a reason. Wait for a tech savvy person to analyze this properly.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

I was thinking 512/512MB, or 1 gig in total, so that flex RAM can perhaps act as a buffer in swapping out game data, since there is a 4.5 gb ceiling.

My assumption:

Sony haven't finalized the amount of reserved RAM for the OS.
Because of this, they've given devs 4.5GB to work with, flexibile to 5GB (because they are sure about the 512MB system) and will give a better update later.

Though, because I'm not a sensationalist, I'm going to wait until I hear concrete numbers.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Perhaps this is the result of you trying too hard.

Why should Sony market to non-devs about the superiority of dev tools? It only matter to developers.

In terms of comparison with competition, no company will use variable elements like dev tools to compare because it's something that changes.

RayMaker

Banned
Seems weird there going with 3gb for OS, i would of thought they would of planned the OS partition with 4gb of total memory in mind, so when they new they could have 8gb the extra 4 gb was free space that could be used for games.

• "Direct Memory" is memory allocated under the traditional video game model, so the game controls all aspects of its allocation
  • "Flexible Memory" is memory managed by the PS4 OS on the game's behalf, and allows games to use some very nice FreeBSD virtual memory functionality. However this memory is 100 per cent the game's memory, and is never used by the OS, and as it is the game's memory it should be easy for every developer to use it.
So why isn't Flexible Memory part of Direct Memory if both are used for games and not the OS?

It's interesting that they're willing to explain the nuances between the two but unwilling to offer a figure of the OS footprint; the subject of the entire debate.

My assumption:

Because of this, they've given devs 4.5GB to work with, flexibile to 5GB (because they are sure about the 512MB system) and will give a better update later.

Though, because I'm not a sensationalist, I'm going to wait until I hear concrete numbers.

Well, good luck getting some concrete numbers.

Either we will hear developers complain about not enough ram or they are happy with the amount of ram they got.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
its not. My only issue with this whole thing is the flex memory I am extremely curious about why they set that up. Without any context it makes no sense.

only two reasons I can come up with.

1. If devs want to use the flex memory some OS features cannot be used or are limited in functionality

2. (tinfoil hat) there is some architectural limitation on the amount of memory games can directly address.

Nope. They explicitly stated that "flexible" memory is memory that is managed by the OS' memory system by a process called "paging". This is a stoneage-old feature of operating system. It basically means that memory address space is abstracted from physical memory. While your memory address for individual data is immutable, the actual physical memory holding the addressed data might change depending on the employed (in this case by the OS) management strategy.

That allows virtually coherent memory to be physically fragmented and/or distributed between many physical memory devices. One common use case is to extend the memory space to include physical memory on the hard drive. The operating system can then swap data between main memory and memory mapped onto the HDD without the application even noticing it since the memory addresses stay the same and are transparently managed to always refer to accessible data. Hence, the application can access more memory than the main memory alone actually provides.

That mechanism being provided by the OS is a huge benefit since the developer does not need to implement such paging strategies himself, while the OS can manage and optimize paging for a multitude of clients.

Tom Penny

Seems weird there going with 3gb for OS, i would of thought they would of planned the OS partition with 4gb of total memory in mind, so when they new they could have 8gb the extra 4 gb was free space that could be used for games.

Yep. Makes no sense that the OS suddenly got so much more enormous after a surprise upgrade in ram.

• "Direct Memory" is memory allocated under the traditional video game model, so the game controls all aspects of its allocation
  • "Flexible Memory" is memory managed by the PS4 OS on the game's behalf, and allows games to use some very nice FreeBSD virtual memory functionality. However this memory is 100 per cent the game's memory, and is never used by the OS, and as it is the game's memory it should be easy for every developer to use it.
So why isn't Flexible Memory part of Direct Memory if both are used for games and not the OS?

It's interesting that they're willing to explain the nuances between the two but unwilling to offer a figure of the OS footprint; the subject of the entire debate.
It's not physical memory, which is why they provide the distinction.

OS footprint has never been a public detail and I don't see why now it's magically supposed to become something we must know.

Dambrosi

Banned
So it's still just a rumour, after all this wailing and gnashing of teeth, and we're still nowhere nearer a resolution to this shitstain. And, even if it's true, it just means that the amount of memory devs can use is the same on both XBOne and PS4. So it's meaningless, since the PS4 is still superior to XBOne tech-wise and for other reasons, one of which is the lack of Ryse as a platform exclusive
HAH BETCHA THOUGHT I WAS GONNA SAY KINECT HUH

I've said it before - console wars never fail to bring out the full retard in GAF.

My assumption:

IMO, if Sony hasn't finalized the amount of RAM available to the games by now, they have major issues. These games need to be done around October. That's 2 months away. Any change (either way) to the amount of RAM at this point would cause problems for them.

So I would say that they have finalized it (probably long ago) but aren't disclosing it because they know it would be controversial.

The average gamer doesn't need to know how much RAM their favorite game is using, so why talk about it publicly? From Sony's perspective, all gamers should care about is if the games they love look and play well.

ElTorro

It's not physical memory, which is why they provide the distinction.

No, it is 512MB of real, unshared main memory. It is flexible, because this portion of main memory is managed by the OS to implement paging and, thus, allow the application's memory address space to be larger than 5GB.

IMO, if Sony hasn't finalized the amount of RAM available to the games by now, they have major issues. These games need to be done around October. That's 2 months away. Any change (either way) to the amount of RAM at this point would cause problems for them.

So I would say that they have finalized it (probably long ago) but aren't disclosing it because they know it would be controversial.

The average gamer doesn't need to know how much RAM their favorite game is using, so why talk about it publicly? From Sony's perspective, all gamers should care about is if the games they love look and play well.

Allocating more ram than they need would not cause them any problems. The OS footprint can shrink and more ram can be allocated as they improve it.

Launch games very typically work with lower than final specifications.

Why would anyone praise Sony for making a weaker system, especially one with even less of an advantage when it comes to multiplatform games than it had before? Developers CANNOT have been complaining about a missing 1GB of RAM. It makes no sense for Sony to make a huge deal about doubling the PS4's RAM, then turn around and only make 1GB of that actually usable. They got scared by Microsoft's 'goods and services' model and now we're paying for it with a weaker console.

PS4 is weaker now compared to the Xbone? ??

KuGsj.gif

Durante

I haven't read the entire thread (it seems terrible), just this page, but from those 2 points you are posting the difference and "nuances" seem clear enough. "Direct Memory" is what you get on embedded systems and previous consoles, but usually not on e.g. a modern PC: an address space which is guaranteed to reside physically in memory.

On the other hand, "flexible memory" seems to be what you would normally get if you allocate memory on any general purpose computer running a modern OS: A set of virtual pages, for which the operating system decides where exactly they manifest physically.

Vestal

Gold Member
Nope. They explicitly stated that "flexible" memory is memory that is managed by the OS' memory system by a process called "paging". This is a stoneage-old feature of operating system. It basically means that memory address space is abstracted from physical memory. While your memory address for individual data is immutable, the actual physical memory holding the addressed data might change depending on the employed (in this case by the OS) management strategy.

That allows virtually coherent memory to be physically distributed between many physical memory devices. The common use case is to extend the memory space to include physical memory on the hard drive. The operating system can then swap data between main memory and memory mapped onto the HDD without the application even noticing it since the memory addresses stay the same and are transparently managed to always refer to accessible data. Hence, the application can access more memory than the main memory alone actually provides.

That mechanism being provided by the OS is a huge benefit since the developer does not need to implement such paging strategies himself, while the OS can manage and optimize paging for a multitude of clients.

every modern OS has always managed paging. If it truly is for paging then its really not "fully accessible" to the game.

No, it is 512MB of real, unshared main memory. It is flexible, because this portion of main memory is managed by the OS to implement paging and, thus, allow the application's memory space to be larger than 5GB.
Oh ok so it's a virtual address space, in contrast to plain old swap style VM?

ElTorro

every modern OS has always managed paging. If it truly is for paging then its really not "fully accessible" to the game.

Why would that be the case? The memory is not "for paging", it is allocated to the game. But the management of it's fragmentation is managed, and, in addition, it is extended virtually to include virtual memory backed by the HDD.

But it is real memory dedicated to the game. It is not "bad memory" by any means.

Remember : TLOU was using 512 Mb - 50 Mb (OS Footprint ) = 462 Mb of RAM on PS3...

Now imagine that the Last of US could benefit of eleven times more ram, had it been available on PS4...

Ram amount will not be a problem with both consoles. Nothing to worry

Man just imagine how incredible TLOU would look on 1GB of Gddr5. Hell imagine it in 6.5 GB of gddr5, or 12 or even 17!

It would look much better on more RAM no doubt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom