• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's stock drops 50% after earnings implosion, [Tanks 22%+ again, worth $7.95M]

The writing's been on the wall for some time. It's sad because they have some very interesting IP's that should have done good, if they were handled properly.

THQ owns:
  • Darksiders
  • Saint's Row
  • Red Faction
  • Metro
  • Warhammer

Those seem to be some good IPs that could be purchased on the cheap by Sony, MS, Nintendo, Acti, EA, Ubi, etc. If I were in a position of charge in one of the above companies, I would look into that.

Nintendo will buy it.

Would be a great idea for them, but what happens to a company's debt when bought out by another company..? No idea how these things work tbh.

They've got some very strong IPs too including Saint's Row, WWE, Red Faction, Darksiders and Metro.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How did this happen? I remember the time when they made good profits with movie license games and lots of casual games. I understand the industry was tough for them (casuals moving to smart phones), but still...

1 item

uDraw HD

What a disaster that shit was

kms_md

How did this happen? I remember the time when they made good profits with movie license games and lots of casual games. I understand the industry was tough for them (casuals moving to smart phones), but still...

IIRC they abandoned the licensed gaming business (or other companies brought it in-house) and pushed their own IPs under Bilsen. This is probably a gross over simplification. And, oh yes, the uDraw.

That's exactly it, the shovelwhare emporiium collapsed harder than anything I've ever seen and 99cent games don't bring in nearly as much revenue. Thus the core games initiative over the last few years but they didn't have an established base of IPs to work with like EA with Battlefield and the sports games.

1 item

uDraw HD

What a disaster that shit was

Oh yeah and combine that with uDraw HD being a miserable failure and you have a company that will be bankrupt any day now.

Jhriad

THQ owns:
  • Darksiders
  • Saint's Row
  • Red Faction
  • Metro
  • Warhammer

Those seem to be some good IPs that could be purchased on the cheap by Sony, MS, Nintendo, Acti, EA, Ubi, etc. If I were in a position of charge in one of the above companies, I would look into that.

THQ doesn't own Warhammer.

Couldn't Matt and trey or comedy central self fund the game and find a new publisher? I'd think they easily have 30 million laying around. You'd have to think the game will be successful enough to make their money back at least.

They might be able to find a publisher and transfer the publishing from THQ but I doubt they are willing to buy THQ.

What are their debt levels like?

100 million.

2013 is going to be THQ's last year. At least, be alive enough to release the South Park RPG. :(

They don't have enough cash to make it to calender 2013. Unless they've paid Obsidian all they need to finish it and plan for it to be released for downloads only. Its not going to happen

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, in 2007 EA proclaimed that EA was on a burning oil platform due to the licensed games industry imploding and having no worthwhile owned IPs, so they rebuilt with a focus on owned IPs, higher quality games, and profitable online components/services like DLC.

THQ stayed on the platform much longer and had way less cash to absorb the cost of shifting.

EA had the cash reserves to spend $2 billion making this shift while still having billions left over for example. THQ has like $20-$30 million left.

foladar

I really don't even know what games they have on the horizon right now. Is that Saints Row 3 expansion/sequel still in the works? I know they canned that Insanity game and have said they are done with Red Faction. What's the next release THQ has lined up? It seems like it may be worth buying just as some sort of historical document.

They cancelled it in favor of Saints Row 4, but they're releasing (or were) Saints Row 3 with all the DLC.

THQ owns:
  • Darksiders
  • Saint's Row
  • Red Faction
  • Metro
  • Warhammer

I could see either Square or Warner picking them up. They have the most to gain from getting teams like Volition and Vigil.

Pooya

THQ owns:
  • Darksiders
  • Saint's Row
  • Red Faction
  • Metro
  • Warhammer

Warhammer is licensed.
Red Faction is dead and worthless. (same as Metro I'd say, hardly any value)
Darksiders, without the studio and the comic artist attached seems pretty worthless too, it was never profitable
The only good one is Saints Row.
Relic IPs (CoH, Homeworld), don't think anybody will find PC RTS attractive these days. they were never big either.
Homefront, this is same as MoH imo, the original sold some decent numbers on top of aggressive marketing (even then it didn't break even) but I think people learned they lesson even if the sequel is great.

Jackano

Would be a great idea for them, but what happens to a company's debt when bought out by another company..? No idea how these things work tbh.

They've got some very strong IPs too including Saint's Row, WWE, Red Faction, Darksiders and Metro.

At this point they need cash to finish up their games and release it. More than a global buy, they should search for consoles exclusivity, to be sure the games will be finished, and market them at a low cost. IMO that's were it makes sense for MS, sony and/or Nintendo to take a look.

conman

Let's not forget Patrice Desilets' still-unannounced mega project at THQ Montreal. It would really suck to see that go under in the midst of all of this.

MYeager

There are a lot of reasons, but basically it boils down to mismanagement. Overspending on expensive long term licensing fees, including licenses that they were not actively making games on. The uDraw tablet fiasco. Spending far too much money to try and become play with the big boys with their attempt at a AAA FPS developer with Homefront. Spending far too much on studio aqcuisition to the point where between on year and the next their staff ballooned to three times as many employees as the year before.

Any of these would be bad mistakes. Most of these mistakes were made right around the same time as each other. The fact that Farrell is still CEO astounds me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
nuclear-explosion.jpg

please. it's more like a 'poof' at this point.

Bruno MB

Poor THQ, I remember when they were the only ones who keep developing (distributing) games for my beloved Nintendo 64 (unfortunately most of their games were completely garbage).

stuminus3

Doomed. I only hope their IPs and the talent that creates it somehow ends up in the hands of smarter people.

Strike

Wow. I honestly thought it would've been at least another year or two before this happened. Good luck to everyone there.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't care that much about South Park game but I hope Metro will be released.

lantus

Sucks, but I'm not really surprised. They don't really have an identity when it comes to any game franchises. I hope they pull threw long enough to get South Park out, I would love to buy that game.

Fuck you Bilson!!!!

I really don't want THQ to fold, I love Relic and Volition too much, god I hope they pull through or are bought out. Really don't want great studios like that to be ripped apart :/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo isn't dumb enough to blow their money on something that will lose them money. They should think about some IP and studio acquisitions (Darksiders?)

Oh and I said THQ wouldn't make it through the end of next year, well now I'm not sure they will make it through the middle of next year.

I think it was a really bad idea to pass on Big Huge Games, and they'll probably pass on Vigil and Volition. Getting some talented western studios under their belts is the only way they're going to get big, quality western exclusives. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc aren't going to do it, and multiplatform games are not going to sell WiiUs in NA over PS4s and Xbox3s.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft or EA leads on picking THQs corpse or outright buys them for the studios and IPs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yes, but Metro is so close. We're only a couple months away! I need more Metro 2033 in my life.

Well, I mean, any project that is basically finished will make it to market by one publisher or another.

It's things after these next three games that are at danger (along with the existence of the studios).

Top Bottom