• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide

Sai-kun

Banned
Man Ive had this thread opened on my phone since Friday. Every morning and every evening I come in, do a refresh and read new comments. I guess this is the last thread about Chester Bennington I'll ever read and its a way of me holding on to his memory by not closing this tab. Still, comments are getting thinner and I'm sure I'll have to close it soo which will be its own kind of sad.

Me too man, I'm right there with you.

Official statement posted just a short while ago:

Dear Chester,

Our hearts are broken. The shockwaves of grief and denial are still sweeping through our family as we come to grips with what has happened.

You touched so many lives, maybe even more than you realized. In the past few days, we've seen an outpouring of love and support, both public and private, from around the world. Talinda and the family appreciate it, and want the world to know that you were the best husband, son, and father; the family will never be whole without you.

Talking with you about the years ahead together, your excitement was infectious. Your absence leaves a void that can never be filled—a boisterous, funny, ambitious, creative, kind, generous voice in the room is missing. We're trying to remind ourselves that the demons who took you away from us were always part of the deal. After all, it was the way you sang about those demons that made everyone fall in love with you in the first place. You fearlessly put them on display, and in doing so, brought us together and taught us to be more human. You had the biggest heart, and managed to wear it on your sleeve.

Our love for making and performing music is inextinguishable. While we don't know what path our future may take, we know that each of our lives was made better by you. Thank you for that gift. We love you, and miss you so much.

Until we see you again,

LP

Visit Chester.LinkinPark.com

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Been listening to their albums after Meteora since Friday. I'm about finished with Living Things. A Thousand Suns was my least favorite one but I still enjoyed some tracks. I never really gave their new material a chance because I foolishly thought I'd want their new material to be like Hybrid Theory and Meteora, but that wasn't fair of me. Artists evolve over time and I was chasing a feeling I had in high school when I heard some of their new music, which made me shut it out.

Now in the wake of Chester's death, I've developed an appreciation for their newer albums. That's not to be read that I'm pity-enjoying these albums, if that's even a thing. I mean that I really like what I'm hearing. I can't provide an opinion on the albums after Living Things because I haven't heard them yet, but Minutes to Midnight and Living Things have been spectacular. Some very powerful songs in them. I even like Minutes to Midnight more than their first two albums, and I wouldn't have known that if I didn't actually sit down and listen to it. <3 In Between.

Now I'm full of regret for not seeing the band when Chester was alive. This band helped me get through middle school and high school. It's sad when I think that his and the band's music helped so many people like me but he himself couldn't get the help he needed In The End.

RIP.

Realeza

Banned
It will be so sad to see Linkin Park disappear after this. Even though Chester is irreplaceable, I hope they continue somehow. Mike and the other guys are incredibly talented to stop so early.

Strakt

https://linkinpark.com/news/news/448101/dear-chester
o4h2d7rvrjbz.png

Ruze789

Also, 1Stp Klosr > One Step Closer

So good.

I love the whole Reanimation album, but that's definitely my favorite track on it.

One of the LP shows my wife and I went to was the Projekt Revolution tour with Korn and Snoop Dogg. They played the regular version of One Step Closer but Jon came out during the bridge and did his part onstage and stayed through the rest, and that's one of my favorite concert moments ever.

I had no idea during the entire show if that was something they did on this tour or not, but I was waiting for it the whole time. They're two of my favorite singers, and to see them together up there was really awesome.

SealedSeven

Neo Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOnp32WlU3U

so good..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeGEFSLDB2s

his last performance of crawling.. you could tell he knew it was his last one by his body language.. :(

Chester has done this at multiple shows, so he might have known/made his mind yet. Yea, people can look at his body language and think that he might have, but people are saying similar things of the latest album being a goodbye message yet that was Mike writing a lot of the songs. Also past songs too could be interpreted as well. It's all speculation at this point. Cornell's lead up to his was (sadly) more obvious as he stated multiple times during the show clues leading up to that night.

Sadly we'll never know what was going through his head the time leading up to the day. The main point we do need to take out of this is Depression is a real thing that needs to be taken seriously and looked at to hopefully stop further lives being taken from it.

Like many others I too have been listening to throwback Linkin Park since the suicide. Hybrid Theory, Reanimation, Meteora and Collision Course are the only albums I really love. I was just listening to Reanimation today and was wondering why no one really ever talks about that album. I click on this thread and low and behold people are.

Like many others I too have been listening to throwback Linkin Park since the suicide. Hybrid Theory, Reanimation and Meteora are the only albums I really love. I was just listening to Reanimation today and was wondering why no one really ever talks about that album. I click on this thread and low and behold people are.
Those are the three I've been listening to the past few days and I think reanimation is the best. I only discovered the album last year but god damn is it so good.

Loved Reanimation back then.

Their EP, Hybrid Theory, has some outstanding tracks on it too not available elsewhere. It was only available to those who signed up to their fan club or something. Lost the CD but still have their shirt somewhere.

Been listening to their albums after Meteora since Friday. I'm about finished with Living Things. A Thousand Suns was my least favorite one but I still enjoyed some tracks. I never really gave their new material a chance because I foolishly thought I'd want their new material to be like Hybrid Theory and Meteora, but that wasn't fair of me. Artists evolve over time and I was chasing a feeling I had in high school when I heard some of their new music, which made me shut it out.

Now in the wake of Chester's death, I've developed an appreciation for their newer albums. That's not to be read that I'm pity-enjoying these albums, if that's even a thing. I mean that I really like what I'm hearing. I can't provide an opinion on the albums after Living Things because I haven't heard them yet, but Minutes to Midnight and Living Things have been spectacular. Some very powerful songs in them. I even like Minutes to Midnight more than their first two albums, and I wouldn't have known that if I didn't actually sit down and listen to it. <3 In Between.

Now I'm full of regret for not seeing the band when Chester was alive. This band helped me get through middle school and high school. It's sad when I think that his and the band's music helped so many people like me but he himself couldn't get the help he needed In The End.

RIP.

That's exactly how I feel too.

Man, why didn't I at least see them live once? Considering how much I loved them so many years ago.
Looking at live videos on YouTube they seem to put on a really good show and Chester getting so close to the fans is really cool.

This news hit me and my wife like a brick on Friday, a major voice of our teenage to young adult years is now gone.

Hybrid Theory, Meteora & Thousand Suns are still amazing to me although some stuff like Crawling and Points of Authority are now pretty painful to listen to. Robot Boy actually made my cry listening to Thousand Suns over the weekend as it's such a beautiful and hopeful song in contrast to the more dark and tormented lyrics from alot of songs from the first two albums.

RIP Chester :(

zulux21

Official statement posted just a short while ago:

it's a nice statement.

Our love for making and performing music is inextinguishable.

That line leads me to think that the band is leaning towards continuing eventually, but the next line
. While we don’t know what path our future may take,

makes it clear they don't know in what way yet. Not that I can blame them. I'm still depressed and in disbelief that he is really dead, I can only imagine how people who actually were close to him feel.

Durden77

This still sucks. Bad. Celeb deaths don't usually hit me too hard, but this one's different. Linkin Park defined so much of who I am.

janoDX

it's a nice statement.

That line leads me to think that the band is leaning towards continuing eventually, but the next line

makes it clear they don't know in what way yet. Not that I can blame them. I'm still depressed and in disbelief that he is really dead, I can only imagine how people who actually were close to him feel.

We have to give the rest of the band some time, continuing without even let this heal would have been bad.

But I see down the line two things:
1. A full compilation of all the hits and singles and some fan favorites.
2. A remix album of One More Light.

Garlador

I really do hope they continue. They're all too creative and talented not to. It's going to be tough, but LP has proven time and again they can evolve. I'm saddened by the loss, but I'm also hopeful for their future.

LycanXIII

I could see them bringing in more guest artists for future albums if they continue, but there would still be a problem with touring. :(

joetachi

On thing is for sure now linking park discography is a hard listen. I thought the music was a bit introspective before but now its legit sad.

Ramsiege

I hope they continue to make music and keep touring. I think it'd be cool if each album they have a different lead vocalist and mix it up with some female singers as well.

LycanXIII

I hope they continue to make music and keep touring. I think it'd be cool if each album they have a different lead vocalist and mix it up with some female singers as well.

I'd like to see a remix album of sorts with singers who were influenced by the band, a tribute of sorts to Chester.

Their EP, Hybrid Theory, has some outstanding tracks on it too not available elsewhere. It was only available to those who signed up to their fan club or something. Lost the CD but still have their shirt somewhere.
Opposite for me, still have the CD but I have no idea what happened to the shirt. But man, that was my favorite shirt, I wore it all the fuckin' time. Wore it to my first concert ever when I was 13 on the Meteora tour (and sadly the only time I would ever see LP live).

I still have this Reanimation shirt that was only available for purchase exclusively to LP Underground members. The print is cracked, the shirt is stretched, it's tattered, and it was way too big for me from day one, but I adore it, and will never get rid of it.

I've said nothing on social media for fear of being tacky, but Chester's death has devastated me. I've been listening to LPs discography on repeat since the news broke. I was in tears after listening to Leave Out All the Rest 2 nights ago. I just rewatched their performance of One More Light on Jimmy Kimmel, and it broke me again. When I'm not listening to their songs, Chesters lyrics are in my head on repeat. This has been so hard to get over, but reading this thread and listening to their music has been cathartic, so keep showing the love guys.

Dead

well not really...yet
I listened to A Thousand Suns and was quite surprised with the album in comparison to what I know the band from (HT and Meteora). There's some pretty strong material on there. The last song in particular is quite sad in light of Cheaters suicide.

Crispy

I've said nothing on social media for fear of being tacky, but Chester's death has devastated me. I've been listening to LPs discography on repeat since the news broke.

Same here, also kicking myself for not seeing them live last month. Like many others, the band lost me after Meteora, which I thought was great. Listening to Minutes to midnight now, I don't really understand why I didn't like it, or thought it was 'soft'....that scream in given up... :O !!!

Sadly, now I'll never get to hear Chester live. I'm really taking this to heart as a lesson that if you really want something, but don't do it because of reasons, try to go out of your way to do it anyway. You never know when you won't be able to do or experience something, or in this case someone, anymore.

Hey there. Another fan who is also checking in on this thread from time to time. I still can't get over it. I was at his last concert and its really got to me emotionally.

Anyway I recorded a load of the songs from that gig, and whilst I'm on the upper floors so not really near the stage, the sound quality from my S7 edge is really good. So if any of you guys want to check them out head over here...

https://youtu.be/ThUdADaH6sA

If you go to my channel there are loads of songs from the gig. Just sharing the love.

RIP Chester :'(

Top Bottom