• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Police Easily Startled" Warning Signs Appear in Twin Cities

The Kree

Banned
If there were some hot dog vendors who were known for getting away with poisoning people, and the wider community of hot dog vendors and their unions worked tirelessly to help them escape punishment, we'd be like "Fuck hot dog vendors."

This is not that complicated.

Brannon

I wonder how many signs are up to make this a problem for public works folks. Got a number?

Not even a negative; put them next to potholes and broken street signs/lights/power poles and areas infested with other illegal signs (We Buy Ugly Homes, Kash 4 Kars, etc). If the public works people are going to be out there anyway, they can fix the other problem that's right there and has been there far longer than some twee-but-true sign.

It would be funny that they are able to run out to take down a sign while said pothole's been there for weeks with constant call-ins but no effort to fix it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
If there were some hot dog vendors who were known for getting away with poisoning people, and the wider community of hot dog vendors and their unions worked tirelessly to help them escape punishment, we'd be like "Fuck hot dog vendors."

This is not that complicated.

Yes, but what about the millions of hot dog vendors that don't poison people??

This war on hot dog vendors must stop. If you don't want to be poisoned, then don't buy the hot dogs, plain and simple.

Nista

I need a customizable version of this for printing or something, so I could put one out on our street.

Though Irvine cops aren't really known for random shootings, so maybe it'd have to be "easily bribed" or "hate homeless" or "mostly useless".

Do you talk with each and every one of your shitty co-workers? Or do you just try to do as good as you can in the confines of a shitty situation? Let's be fair, a 'good cop' isn't being remarkably evil by doing the latter - just the same as 95% of people.

When the new guy fucks up in my office the chances of someone ending up with bullets in them is really small.

Miss me with this junk, bruh

norm9

I need a customizable version of this for printing or something, so I could put one out on our street.

Though Irvine cops aren't really known for random shootings, so maybe it'd have to be "easily bribed" or "hate homeless" or "mostly useless".

Perhaps just a beware of police like beware of dog.

DiscoJer

yeah thats.. genius.

would piss me off if i was a responsible cop and saw those though, lol.

One of the core problems though is that police are trained not to be responsible. They are trained to believe that there are people out there in every shadow and behind every door just waiting to kill them if they let down their guard for a second.

We've all seen those gun training exercises where targets of crooks and ordinary people pop up on a gun range and the cop has to decide which is okay to shoot and which is not.

But that these sort of exercises exist is the problem in the first place. The chances of a bad guy ever popping out of nowhere and killing a cop is about like getting hit by lightning. It's a finite chance and it happens, but very, very rare. Most police deaths are in auto accidents because they don't wear seatbelts because they think they need that extra 5 seconds to get out of the car (even though they don't)

The problem with police in this country isn't just a few bad cops. It's the entire philosophy of policing that is rotten.

Dynasty

If the was such a thing as a good cop the first thing he'd do at the beginning of a shift would be to arrest most of his co workers
Not sure if you are being serious
This childish logic is so fucking stupid because there are cases when cops do the right thing, and are punished for it. These good cops stay silent because they have families to take care of, they would no longer be able to rely on backup when they call and that is if they keep there jobs.
If a cops was to arrest there collegues, they would be fired, there collegues would be set free and they would probably get harrassed if by some miracle they keep there jobs. And what does that result in? One less responsible cop on the force and is replaced with potentially another bad cop.

I leave this post her, I would say this man was a good cop, he did the right thing and got fucked over for it.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ny...-rat-police-brutality-claim-article-1.2077632

Maximo

Do you talk with each and every one of your shitty co-workers? Or do you just try to do as good as you can in the confines of a shitty situation? Let's be fair, a 'good cop' isn't being remarkably evil by doing the latter - just the same as 95% of people.

IDK my coworkers aren't shooting people for sport.

One of the core problems though is that police are trained not to be responsible. They are trained to believe that there are people out there in every shadow and behind every door just waiting to kill them if they let down their guard for a second.
Cops are trained to fear everything. Their overriding programming out on the streets is to get home safely. This is what leads to a lot of these incidences.

Lowmelody

This childish logic is so fucking stupid because there are cases when cops do the right thing, and are punished for it. These good cops stay silent because they have families to take care of, they would no longer be able to rely on backup when they call and that is if they keep there jobs.
If a cops was to arrest there collegues, they would be fired, there collegues would be set free and they would probably get harrassed if by some miracle they keep there jobs. And what does that result in? One less responsible cop on the force and is replaced with potentially another bad cop.

Sounds like the entire institution is corrupt and complicit in mass murder of minorities. Also, someone should warn people about such a bloody cabal. hmm

I leave this post her, I would say this man was a good cop, he did the right thing and got fucked over for it.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.ny...-rat-police-brutality-claim-article-1.2077632
If what you're saying is true, that a good cop can't be a good cop because of all the bad cops, then the whole thing is corrupt to the core and needs to be disbanded, re-organised, re-structured and placed under significantly more public scrutiny then it currently is. Essentially you proved the point - the Police force is a mess, a corrupt, stinking mess.

Mael

Idiots in here treating a job like a class, I know it's summerfiesta time but stop playing Final Fantasy for a moment.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I do talk to my shitty coworkers because their shitty attitudes and issues often negatively effect my work output and it looks badly on me as well.

NoName999

Nice to know that the tone police is here defending the integrity of the "good" cops.

Here's an idea: Tone police the actual police because they're the ones whose emotions are more likely gonna lead to them carelessly shooting someone.

And for added bonus, tone police the "good" cops by saying that they should get a goddamn tone and fight against the corrupt system they work in.

But alas, won't someone think of the poor cops? A bunch of nobodies on a gaming forum is saying mean things about them.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I'm saying that the blanket vilification of all members of any class based on (nigh-on) any characteristic or commonality is unjustifiable.

Being a cop is a job. Cops generally carry deadline weapons. Cops work together. Cops stand by each other. Cops not held accountable by each other. It's a system.

It's not tying a claim to an arbitrary category.

And yes this is awesome.
Scared cops are a total public safety concern.
These signs are educational and can save lives

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
When I was a kid cops would come and talk to our scout group or something and talk about how to behave around the police, about how you can get shot if you have a squirt gun, etc.

in my experience cops themselves push how easily startled they are, and should have no objections to these signs.

Brannon

Nice to know that the tone police is here defending the integrity of the "good" cops.

Here's an idea: Tone police the actual police because they're the ones whose emotions are more likely gonna lead to them carelessly shooting someone.

And for added bonus, tone police the "good" cops by saying that they should get a goddamn tone and fight against the corrupt system they work in.

But alas, won't someone think of the poor cops? A bunch of nobodies on a gaming forum is saying mean things about them.

But they can't do that, the good police have their hands tied so I guess things must remain the same. If only something would warn us of the result of this stagnancy, but it looks like that will nev...

AAoL8fK.img

...oh.

There's a warning. And it doesn't block streets or inconvenience football games or make any noise at all. Who could possibly have a problem wi...

...ooooooohhh...

huh.

My shitty coworkers get fired, but I'm not a cop

Jaeger

Yea, so me being born a black man with brown skin in racist ass America =/= fucking choosing to be a cop.

Fuck out of here with that bullshit.

_Nemo

Great passive aggressiveness showing how much of pussies cops* are lol. Love it.

Edit: *American cops ofcourse. Didn't mean to lump in the other countries with these shitheads.

Dynasty

If what you're saying is true, that a good cop can't be a good cop because of all the bad cops, then the whole thing is corrupt to the core and needs to be disbanded, re-organised, re-structured and placed under significantly more public scrutiny then it currently is. Essentially you proved the point - the Police force is a mess, a corrupt, stinking mess.

I agree the police is a mess, a corrupt, stinking mess, just dont think asking for unrealistic stuff as solutions is having a productive convo. Expecting some hero cop to lock up all the bad cops is unrealistic and stupid. Expecting the entire system to be dismantled and reconstructed, while yes is the best way to solve the problem isnt something that can happen. What can happen and help is the reconstruction of some major systems that result in these situations, for example as bought up in this thread Police Training needs so serious reform. Body cams has allowed BLM to raise the awareness of police brutality, so Body cams are a step in the right direction(which eliminates the need for good cops to 'rat' out there collegeues to some extent), now we just need these cops to be held accountable in the court of law.

Saganator

This sign should be everywhere.

The police easily being startled reminds me of an interaction I had with the police about 15 years ago. I was walking to the store at night, wasn't super late, probably 9:30-10 PM. Some cops were hanging out by a car, looked like they were going to have it towed. The cops were across the street and I was crossing the intersection (legally) coming towards them. The walking signal turned into the flashing hand thing and I was only half way across the intersection, so I started to jog across. The police, who had their backs turned, heard my footsteps and next thing I know it, one of them has a gun pointed at me. Dude was like Billy the Kid, he drew so fast. I threw my hands up and said, "Whoa man! I'm just crossing the street!" The cop never said sorry or anything, just said I scared the shit out of him. After it happened, while reflecting on what happened, it blew me away that his first reaction was to whip out his gun.

Ever since then I assume every cop is paranoid as fuck, I always tell them what I'm going to do before I do it and if I happen to be approaching one from behind, I'll make some noise on purpose to try not to startle him/her.

This sign is great. I hope it spreads across the country.

Smh at the "this isn't the way" arguments. Let us know when you've constructed a better way for us to make our voices heard, fam.

I agree the police is a mess, a corrupt, stinking mess, just dont think asking for unrealistic stuff as solutions is having a productive convo. Expecting some hero cop to lock up all the bad cops is unrealistic and stupid. Expecting the entire system to be dismantled and reconstructed, while yes is the best way to solve the problem isnt something that can happen. What can happen and help is the reconstruction of some major systems that result in these situations, for example as bought up in this thread Police Training needs so serious reform. Body cams has allowed BLM to raise the awareness of police brutality, so Body cams are a step in the right direction(which eliminates the need for good cops to 'rat' out there collegeues to some extent), now we just need these cops to be held accountable in the court of law.
Civilian review boards that can subpoena cops would help out, too

Unless you are a purposefully ignorant person or someone with a vile hatred of people expressing concerns and asking for improvements to our country, you shouldn't have a problem with a humorous, informal, harmless sign like this.

Kettch

Yes, but what about the millions of hot dog vendors that don't poison people??

This war on hot dog vendors must stop. If you don't want to be poisoned, then don't buy the hot dogs, plain and simple.

The media never talks about the good hot dog vendor stories!

Anticol

Banned

Well I am sure if his co-worker would be out there killing people just cause or planting drugs on other people so they can be imprisoned he would talk instead of stay quiet and laugh at it.

ZOONAMI

How many people in the US are killed by police annually?

Approx 1000, although 70%+ of those the victim and/or perp has a weapon. But it's kind of debatable in a lot of cases how much of a threat that weapon actually is and if lethal force is required (or if there really even was a weapon). A strange one I've always thought is they are trained to shoot people weilding knives if they are approaching them at like a distance of 15 feet, which seems ridiculous. If someone is closing on you with a knife, and you have room to move, why don't you increase the distance between yourself and them, maybe deploy a tazer or mace/pepper spray if necessary, but just shooting someone without trying to create distance and deescalate is insane.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/

J-Rzez

Yes, let's make it a hip thing to insult the million+ US officers that actually do the right thing. That'll show 'em.

It shows a genuine, true immaturity from these people and the many here that somehow continue to get away with "fuck the police" stuff all the time. Because I'm 100% positive that every, single person posting that stuff here run into only bad cops all the time.

J-Rzez

Approx 1000, although 70%+ of those the victim and/or perp has a weapon. But it's kind of debatable in a lot of cases how much of a threat that weapon actually is and if lethal force is required (or if there really even was a weapon). A strange one I've always thought is they are trained to shoot people weilding knives if they are approaching them at like a distance of 15 feet, which seems ridiculous. If someone is closing on you with a knife, and you have room to move, why don't you increase the distance between yourself and them, maybe deploy a tazer or mace/pepper spray if necessary, but just shooting someone without trying to create distance and deescalate is insane.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/

Because these cops are people too? Unless you're under the assumption that if someone becomes a police officer they forfeit their right to live? Tazers and pepper spray are not 100% effective. And who serves a greater purpose to society, those serving the people, or those that are a threat?

Once you understand that, you'll get why its not "strange."

It shows a genuine, true immaturity from these people and the many here that somehow continue to get away with "fuck the police" stuff all the time. Because I'm 100% positive that every, single person posting that stuff here run into only bad cops all the time.

It shows a genuine, true intellect from these people and the many here that somehow continue to get away with #notallcops stuff all of the time. Because I'm 100% positive that every, single person posting that stuff here don't deal with an oppressive system all of the time.

Our main issue is that the system is shitty, racist, and regressive and the cops are either perpetuating it or not doing anything about it. The issue is systemic.

Top Bottom