• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Beer for women' launched by Czech brewery sparking sexist outrage

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/beer-for-women-aurosa-czech-brewery-sexism-gender-advertising-respose-a7852456.html

Feminism is making progress, people.

In 2017, women have the right to work, vote, eat Yorkie bars and now…wait for it… we can even drink beer.

Not just the pale ale consumed our male comrades, oh no.

Aurosa, a Czech Republic-based brewery, has launched “beer for her”, a premium lifestyle beer which aptly comes in a totally non-generic, non-stereotypical, pink marble bottle. Because women like shiny pink things, duh.

Marina Smirova, the brand’s founder, claims that the beer is a “representation of a woman’s strength and a girl’s tenderness” – because who knows what would happen if strong and tender women drank Corona? Or worse… Guinness?

What’s next? #RoséForHim?

The website adds: "Aurosa was born to prove that women can succeed anywhere without having to adapt and sacrifice their natural femininity".

Quite right, why should women have to sacrifice their womanhood to pints?

How has it taken so long for someone to put an end to this beer-deprived quackery?

With the brand being made available in London last week at just over £8 a bottle (a bottle of Heineken costs £2, fyi), social media users have been quick to call out the brand for its fundamentally sexist branding.

Aurosa were quick to defend themselves, posting on their Facebook page: “Aurosa was never intended to take part in sexism, feminism or the like.

“We are simply a brand that wants to offer beer in an elegant and beautiful bottle, something that has not been done before, for those women who want it and who’s lifestyle we fit.”

Perhaps the most baffling aspect of #BeerForHer though, is Aurosa's genuine promotion of it as an empowering product, with limited edition bottles being sold in "Woman Power" tote bags.

Plus, their social platforms are littered with “pro-women” memes, including the bizarre: “A well read woman is a dangerous creature”.

So far the post has acquired three likes.

The image is part of an album entitled "#MondayInspo from Aurosa".

The kind of response that the brand intended to perpetuate by loosely paraphrasing Disney's sexist pin up - Gaston from Beauty and the Beast, in case you're wondering - remains unclear.

Other philosophical pearls of wisdom in the album include "Closet like Carrie, money like Big", "Life is tough my darling, but so are you" and the existential "Don't assume a door is closed, push on it." #GirlPower

Why is it sexist to market a product or brand at just one sex? I buy shampoo for men even though its formula is the exact same as the womens brand. There is that vodka brand that is marketed heavily at women, energy bars and drinks, yogurts, etc. Not all women want girly packaging or different flavors but some do, seems kind of weird to say you shouldn't do that.

Ahasverus

There are deodorants for women, shampoo for women, I don't know what's different here.

There was this beer marketed at women here in my country, surprisingly, it became a very popular beer with the male group too.

This is not new and I fail to see the outrage.

grumble

I don't really see the big deal. Women aren't presented with this as their sole option. If they choose something else, no one is upset. If they like the branding, then great - it's good to have options.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Thought this was a Jezebel article at first.

edit: We need another giant war or alien invasion or something so people can stop freaking out over stuff like this. I mean honestly, who gives a fuck? If you don't like it don't buy it. The end. What a dumb article.

There are deodorants for women, shampoo for women, I don't know what's different here.

There was this beer marketed at women here in my country, surprisingly, it became a very popular beer with the male group too.

Deodorants and shampoo for women are specifically balanced for body chemistry. They are objectively geared towards women. Beer is just an alcoholic drink. There's nothing to be tuned in it to suit women better than men.

And there's a difference between being marketed towards women (like Zima and wine coolers) and being marketed as for women.

Edit: before someone reads me wrong I'm just pointing out the difference. In all honesty I don't mind this too much, as long as it isn't just repackaged light beer.

EGM1966

Reminds me of Sweetheart Stout which IIRC was stout "for the ladies" in Scotland.

beer_18400.jpg

Odd that they didn't take the opportunity to be like "it's the same damn beer, stupid"

Was hoping it was supposed to be tongue in cheek but apparently not. Damn shame and hopefully reflected in sales.

Why this outrage, whats wrong With branding or marketing towards a particular gender, theres nothing to stop a man buying it if he wants

I suppose it could be that there is no beer for men in terms of labeling. (Mind you, I think this is flawed, too; see below).

With a lot of body products, there has long been a clear distinction of products for both genders. E.g. Deodorant for Men, Deodorant for Women. In this case, there's just Beer, and Beer for Women.

That said, that's not entirely uncommon either. It's actually common for a lot of stereotypical women's products. E.g. There's no Clinique facial products "for women." There's just Clinique exfoliator, or Clinique exfoliator 'For Men' in a more manly gray bottle. There's no Kiehl's for Women, just Kiehl's moisturizer, and then the exact same product (check the ingredients) in manly dark green bottle called Kiehl's for Men.

So beauty products have done this for men for ages.

Gender branding on toiletries make business sense in so far as there are scents that many identify as masculine or feminine, for better or worse. There is already a beer to suit every conceivable palate on Earth, so all they can offer is some stereotyping in packaging and marketing. Personally, this doesn't much bother me one way or the other, but imagine it will go over about as well as when Bic decided the thing that adult women really wanted was gender branded ballpoint pens.

grumble

Deodorants and shampoo for women are specifically balanced for body chemistry. They are objectively geared towards women. Beer is just an alcoholic drink. There's nothing to be tuned in it to suit women better than men.

And there's a difference between being marketed towards women (like Zima and wine coolers) and being marketed as for women.

For deodorants, at least, the only difference is the scent. Kind of like how the only difference here is the bottle. All marketing,

Seriously, I don't see what the issue is. Women aren't being denied anything. Anyone can buy any beer they want. More options is good. I'm assuming she hates 'girly' marketed wines, coolers, spritzer, or any other products where they think they can gain an edge by stereotypically gendering it?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've never been big on the "for women/for men" branding, but it's obviously related to trying to find a target audience as marketing is big on appealing to certain age groups and genders. However it's there for the reason I guess targeting a certain demographic can work, and it's not like this is a new thing it's existent in so many products already and there's already been beers targeted at men and women that already exist.

I'm not big on it, but I don't think it's outrage worthy nor really speaking a lot of outage.

For deodorants, at least, the only difference is the scent. Kind of like how the only difference here is the bottle. All marketing,

Seriously, I don't see what the issue is. Women aren't being denied anything. Anyone can buy any beer they want. More options is good. I'm assuming she hates 'girly' marketed wines, coolers, spritzer, or any other products where they think they can gain an edge by stereotypically gendering it?

I'm just saying it's weird, especially considering how long beer has been around and how widely it's consumed by both men and women.

Dervius

Lots of people saying how being angered by this is stupid.

Is this was "Watermelon flavoured beer for Black people" you might be more likely to understand the problem.

Yes, women can like pink things if they wish, but to market a product in this way, to allow women to "maintain their femininity" is ridiculously patronising to the point of being prejudicial. It perpetuates a highly damaging stereotype and encourages institutional sexism.

Laiza

Is this was "Watermelon flavoured beer for Black people" you might be more likely to understand the problem.

Yes, women can like pink things if they wish, but to market a product in this way, to allow women to "maintain their femininity" is ridiculously patronising to the point of being prejudicial. It perpetuates a highly damaging stereotype and encourages institutional sexism.
+1

It might sound harmless on the surface but reinforcing idiotic stereotypes is never the way to go.

Is this supposed to be a problem because it's beer? There are a lot of products marketed specifically to men and women. GAF is going to self-destruct if it tries to get upset about all of them.

BriGuy

It's kind of like those Bic pens "for women" the internet tore apart a few years back. Not because of outrage, but because it was fucking stupid and ripe for mockery.

Ok I completely dropped the ball on reading this one. I gathered it was the other side being angered.

After checking the article, I totally get it.

I do think it's funny they tried the "Well it's for women who would like something like this" crap.

Mailbox

I'm just saying it's weird, especially considering how long beer has been around and how widely it's consumed by both men and women.

To me it just seems like someone trying to take advantage of the "beer is a man's alcoholic drink" stupid stigma to market a luxury product.

From a marketing perspective, it's actually understandable why this company did this, but this is such a horribly hamfisted and bad way of going about it.

There's nothing wrong with marketing a brand of beer to women, but this was just dumb.

Not nessisarily "offensive"(unless you count the price, holy hell) or "sexist", just fucking dumb.

If this was "Watermelon flavoured beer for Black people" you might be more likely to understand the problem.

Yaaaaaaa, no.
Not even close to the same thing.

So if a watermelon flavoured beer ever came out i guess any advertising would have to not have black people in it?

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?

edit: fuck it. I don't want to get involved.

okno

For those asking why this is sexist: products such as this package a generic product in a feminine shaped bottle with feminine colors and motifs, and charge more for the product. It specifically pushes female stereotypes that are dictated entirely by corporations and have come from no natural place. Take a look at many "for Her" and "for Him" products, and you'll notice the products are largely the same, but with different scents applied to the product, different colors used in their packaging, and the "for Him" will usually be significantly cheaper.

It's expensive to be a woman.

NewDust

I thought they already made beer for women and it was called Cider. :)

I know you're joking but... Cider has nothing to do with beer, and neither beer nor cider has anything to do with gender.

If anything we need less gender specific products, not more. From what I gather from the article it's just beer in a fancy pink bottle. 8GBP for a beer is outrageous even for a craft beer. Seems like you just have to pay extra for the stereotyped marketing of this product.

LQX

Seriously, how can you make the argument for soap and not alcohol? Isn't alcohol consumption levels very different for men and women? The effects of it on the different sexes is vastly different from shampoo or soap which some of you are making the argument for while saying this is different.

ascii42

Seriously, how can you make the argument for soap and not alcohol? Isn't alcohol consumption levels very different for men and women? The effects of it on the different sexes is vastly different from shampoo or soap which some of you are making the argument for while saying this is different.

On average, women process alcohol slower, and weigh less, so yeah, they tend to get drunk off of less alcohol. But I'm curious what your suggestion is. That there should be alcoholic beverages with less alcohol for women?

Top Bottom