• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Man, Capcom was not to be fucked with on PS1.

7879898.jpg

36625-Breath_of_Fire_IV_%5BU%5D-1.png

Strider2+Screen2.jpg

megadetermined.jpg

1090000-sg1_a.jpg

(Breath of Fire III & IV, Strider 2, Mega Man Legends & Star Gladiator, respectively)

I miss old Capcom. :(

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
One of my favorite systems growing up. Much like the SNES before it, I stupidly got rid of it as a teen to get newer and shinier games, and am having to go pack and recollect stuff.

My collection is pretty small right now, but I'm focusing on my SNES games for the most part (only 7 games to go on that one) and then I'll focus on my PS1 stuff.

9w0qFSS.png

Want to take a guess at what dev/publisher I was a fan of in those days? (In my defense, in the remaining 37 PS1 games I have left to buy, only 6 of them are squaresoft >.> Squaresoft titles just seem to be the easiest to find at my local mom & pop store)

liquidtmd

Banned
Amazing console and very good memories. Probably hit me in my key gaming phase but Sonys attitude was amazing. I hope they can get some of that earnest nature back for the PS4 - their courting and acquisition of devs in the PS1 era was stunning. I bought the PS1 day one in the UK having saved for a year and almost opting for a Sega Saturn when it was released a few months before it.

Glad I held fire. The PS1 ties with the Genesis in terms of memories and good times - often dodgy having to turn it upside down to get it to work included.

The games I spent the most time on? Almost too many too mention. Best of the rest, some cliched but SO good:

street_fighter_zero_3_05.jpg

$T2eC16RHJIYE9qUcOQF3BQLt)mIlQw~~60_35.JPG

images

FFVII_Japan_Cover.jpg

925710-681ivjc.jpg

images

Wipeout-2097-Wipeout-XL-Codes-PSX-2.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I didn't realize all PS3s could read PS1 discs... weird.

Well, updated. Thanks, guys.
Yeah, because its emulated, so it's free to implement (unlike PS2, which required hardware inside launch PS3s to run)

But it's a good emulator! No problems there.

Here's a little tidbit for collectors that I recently learned. There are three variants of Silent Hill. The regular/common copy, the greatest hits release, and a "shiny" version that was only available to those that purchased it day one.

group.jpg

There is not difference in price between the two versions. This is mostly because people are not aware of the variation.
I never knew that at all. I guess I have the regular version. I'm fine with it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm still wondering why you wouldn't recommend it...

Because of the random issues that pop up in a fair number of games. Final Fantasy VII had some major graphical glitches when I played it on there. R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 had issues playing the music. Final Fantasy Origins tended to crash. Chrono Cross hitches up when you cast certain spells. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I've had enough issues playing random games on the system that I don't even bother with it anymore.

Rapstah

It's not like PS1 games run perfectly on PS2 either. Isn't there this whole mess where you need a PS1 memory card to be able to save, too?

BocoDragon

It's not like PS1 games run perfectly on PS2 either. Isn't there this whole mess where you need a PS1 memory card to be able to save, too?
The list of PS1 games that have issues on PS2 is very small. I think it was less than 10 of them.

Yes, you need a PS1 memory card.

Tain

I got IQ Final a few weeks back, seems like it's easily the best version of the game. 60 fps throughout the single player modes (unlike the PSP games), and 2-player Survival mode at fast speeds turns it into some intense TGM/Puyo/Twinkle Star versus shit.

Other than that, my most recent PS1 purchase was R-Type Delta (also JP) a little bit ago, which I still need to really dig into.

I can't get behind PS1 games on PS3, especially action games, because it will give you three frames of lag on top of whatever your HDTV's native lag is.

Regarding disc based BC on PS3, IIRC

- Chrono Cross has some freezing problems
- Disc 4 of FFVIII may or may not boot up
- FFV is straight up unplayable (It also has a garbled save menu when played on a PS2)

I remember reading somewhere that the greatest hits version of FFVII runs better on PS3 while the black label release tends to lag/glitch out.

Any recommendations for a PS1 emulator? Still have my games around but the PS1 is broken.

ePSXe is pretty great.

BocoDragon

I can't get behind PS1 games on PS3, especially action games, because it will give you three frames of lag on top of whatever your HDTV's native lag is.
Is that a fact? I know people say that about PS2 games on PS3, but PS1 might be different because its emulated.

androvsky

Regarding disc based BC on PS3, IIRC

- Chrono Cross has some freezing problems
- Disc 4 of FFVIII may or may not boot up
- FFV is straight up unplayable (It also has a garbled save menu when played on a PS2)

I remember reading somewhere that the greatest hits version of FFVII runs better on PS3 while the black label release tends to lag/ glitch out.
How long ago were these problems noted? The emulator in the ps3 has been updated many times, especially when a major ps1 game like a final fantasy hits pan.

BocoDragon

I've heard that it's just PS2 games that have the extra lag, not PS1 games. But I haven't confirmed that, personally.
Seems to me that if its software, there's no reason to expect lag unless the emulator is bad.

How long ago were these problems noted? The emulator in the ps3 has been updated many times, especially when a major ps1 game like a final fantasy hits pan.
Yeah that's right. The ones on PSN are just rips from the game, so the emulator would have been updated, allowing play of the discs too.

Tain

I always heard that it was both. I, at the very least, remember shidoshi talking about noticing lag in PS1 games, though I haven't done any SDTV + 60fps camera testing myself.

In the end the PS3 has to deinterlace all of them, it would make sense if it handled them all in a similar way.

Quick googling gives me Fudoh at Shmups saying "The lag is about 40ms and it applies to both PSN titles and real PS1 CDs." Not sure exactly where he got that figure, but that's nearly three frames.

BocoDragon said:
Seems to me that if its software, there's no reason to expect lag unless the emulator is bad.

Actually, due to differences in refresh rates, something often has to give. Software-based emulators on PC most commonly leave you choosing between a smooth and laggy image or a tearing and responsive one. I'm guessing PS3's backwards compatibility went with the former.

BocoDragon

I always heard that it was both. I, at the very least, remember shidoshi talking about noticing lag in PS1 games.

In the end the PS3 has to deinterlace all of them, it would make sense if it handled them all in a similar way.

Quick googling gives me Fudoh at Shmups saying "The lag is about 40ms and it applies to both PSN titles and real PS1 CDs." Not sure exactly where he got that figure, but that's nearly three frames.
Well, I wouldn't doubt Fudoh...

In any case, I play PS1/PS2 on a modded PS2 slim. No bullshit ;)

Danny Dudekisser

I always heard that it was both. I, at the very least, remember shidoshi talking about noticing lag in PS1 games.

Actually, due to differences in refresh rates, something often has to give. Software-based emulators on PC pretty much always leave you choosing between a smooth and laggy image or a tearing and responsive one. I'm guessing PS3's backwards compatibility went with the former.

I trust whatever Fudoh says. Dude knows his shit.

Huh, that's a good question. I know that at the very least, Chrono Cross still tends to freeze these days, but I'm not sure if it'll hold true for the other games now.

Kukuk

Banned
- Chrono Cross has some freezing problems.

I think Chrono Cross was fixed. I recently replayed it on my PS3 and didn't have a single freeze. When I had played it a few years ago, I couldn't get past Viper Manor without it freezing, but this time it was perfectly smooth sailing.

Any recommendations for a PS1 emulator? Still have my games around but the PS1 is broken.

If you have a monster CPU and want nice gfx enhancements + high accuracy:

PCSX-R (emu) + gpuBladeSoft (gfx plugin) + P.E.Op.S 1.10/Eternal SPU 1.5 (sound plugin)

If you want accuracy with minimal performance hit:

Xebra

If you want nice emulation for general performance + gfx enhancements without much performance hit:

ePSXe/ PCSX-R (emu) + Pete's OpenGL 2.9 (gfx plugin) + P.E.Op.S 1.10/Eternal SPU 1.5 (sound plugin)

jstripes

Banned
Having been in gaming since the NES, the PS1's generation is the only generation where the graphics don't hold up.

NES and SNES era had their charming pixel art. PS1 had janky polygons and horrid, misaligned textures. (N64 was equally as bad.)

Everything after that generation is good, though.

Carnby

I never knew that at all. I guess I have the regular version. I'm fine with it.

The hard part about finding a copy is that even the seller doesn't know which variant they have. Nor are they aware of the variant. I found mine in a mom and pop game store, with a little help from pure luck. I purchased it and pointed it out to them. They thought it was cool, but again, they had no idea about it before.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Came to post Einhander and Tobal 2, they're in the OP and I am stoked. I really which T2 got an english release, one of the best fighting games in that generation imo. The grapling system was fantastic.

I have all of Squares non rpg games on the PSX, except one of the Bushido games but I can't remember if it was #1 or #2.

*edit*
That's right, they added projectiles in #2, but still...

BocoDragon

Having been in gaming since the NES, the PS1's generation is the only generation where the graphics don't hold up.

NES and SNES era had their charming pixel art. PS1 had janky polygons and horrid, misaligned textures. (N64 was equally as bad.)

Everything after that generation is good, though.
So untrue IMO.

First of all it was the era of the pre-rendered background, which is a dead artform unique to that era. So many beautiful CG (and hand drawn!) vistas.

The other thing is that simple polygons have an abstract charm. Think Mega Man Legends.

I think Chrono Cross was fixed. I recently replayed it on my PS3 and didn't have a single freeze. When I had played it a few years ago, I couldn't get past Viper Manor without it freezing, but this time it was perfectly smooth sailing.

Weird, I tried playing a few weeks ago, and got a freeze after the boss fight against
Miguel
. Weird thing is that I've heard that particular instance happens infrequently with the PSOne Classics version as well.

If you have a monster CPU and want nice gfx enhancements + high accuracy:

PCSX-R (emu) + gpuBladeSoft (gfx plugin) + P.E.Op.S 1.10/Eternal SPU 1.5 (sound plugin)

If you want accuracy with minimal performance hit:

Xebra

If you want nice emulation for general performance + gfx enhancements without much performance hit:

ePSXe/ PCSX-R (emu) + Pete's OpenGL 2.9 (gfx plugin) + P.E.Op.S 1.10/Eternal SPU 1.5 (sound plugin)

Thanks gonna try these.

BocoDragon

Came to post Einhander and Tobal 2, they're in the OP and I am stoked. I really which T2 got an english release, one of the best fighting games in that generation imo. The grapling system was fantastic.

*edit*
That's right, they added projectiles in #2, but still...
There is a fan translation! Rip, patch, burn.

Not the same as getting to play it back in the day, but you can play it now..

Raist

Banned
It shames me that I never actually tried my PS1 games on PS3, one question are they region free?

Discs aren't. PSN versions are 9but if you're playing PAL games on a US console it's likely your TV won't like it, unless it supports 576i.

daveo42

Banned
Even though I got in on the PSX kind of late (didn't have a fully functioning one till 1999), I had a lot of fun on the thing. I wish my physical catalog for it was larger and that I wasn't missing copies of FFVII and FFVI (former roommate most likely).

I had mine recently hooked up and played through almost the entirety of Xenogears and started up FFIV till my old CRT broke. I really should go out and find a new one.

Crazy thing I did learn is that you can't play PSX games on the PS2 if you're connected by Component cables. You'll get audio, but no video. Have to use composite if you want to play on the PS2, which has better emulation than the PS3 and doesn't occasionally have weird bits of slow down (FFVII I know had this a few years ago, especially during some of the summons like KotR).

Vita is definitely the way to go for anything that's currently available and compatible.

BocoDragon

The hard part about finding a copy is that even the seller doesn't know which variant they have. Nor are they aware of the variant. I found mine in a mom and pop game store, with a little help from pure luck. I purchased it and pointed it out to them. They thought it was cool, but again, they had no idea about it before.
Even I'm not sure that I care much, and I love SH.

But if you spread word of it, some collectors will notice. A local game store charges extra for the stupid misprint on the back of the first run FFVII (a letter is out of place).

C-Jo

I'm dying for a copy of Mega Man Legends 2.

I have the first game as well as Tron Bonne, but eBay prices for 2 are a little out of hand. I keep hoping to fall ass backwards into a copy somehow, but no luck so far.

Crazy thing I did learn is that you can't play PSX games on the PS2 if you're connected by Component cables.

I'm almost positive this isn't true. Sounds like a compatibility issue with the specific model of TV.

jett

D-Member
The pre-fight loading time in Chrono Cross is unbearable. It has unfortunately rendered that game unplayable for me.

As far as 3D games go Tobal 2 has aged the best. That is still a quality 3D fighter by today's standards. Second place goes to Mega Man Legends 2, a forward thinking game that offered dual stick controls.

I think, overall, Symphony of the Night truly is the console's best game.

zeelman

I was going to buy Tales of Destiny 2, but $140 for it is just too much. I guess I shoulda bought it when it was $70 a few years ago. I guess I'll buy the PSP version, seeing as its only $50.

I didn't think there was really much interest in that game.

Danny Dudekisser

There is a fan translation! Rip, patch, burn.

Not the same as getting to play it back in the day, but you can play it now..

Tobal 2 is one of the few 3D PS1 fighters that's still really fun today. It's pretty different. Sweet soundtrack, too.

Actually, Tobal 2 was the game that first got me into importing games. I was in fifth grade at the time and was amazed that there were all these games that existed in Japan that I'd never even heard of... and the whole "ZOMG 200 characters" thing in Tobal 2 was the coolest thing in the world at the time. I could never understand the RPG part of the game well enough to earn many of them, though :(

BocoDragon

Crazy thing I did learn is that you can't play PSX games on the PS2 if you're connected by Component cables. You'll get audio, but no video. Have to use composite if you want to play on the PS2, which has better emulation than the PS3 and doesn't occasionally have weird bits of slow down (FFVII I know had this a few years ago, especially during some of the summons like KotR).
That's not true at all. You either have a defective console, or most likely, your TV doesn't like 240p or 480i through component. My new Panasonic will play a PS1 game through component. Most TVs will.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I didn't realize all PS3s could read PS1 discs... weird.

Well, updated. Thanks, guys.

Don't know about NTSC but there are a few issues with some PAL games. I can't get Wipeout 3 to work at all. I think it loads the first race then locks up or Black Screen or something from memory. Also had trouble with Tempest X but I think that worked with the smoothing off or something.

Only tried a couple of my games as a majority of nmy favs are NTSC imports and my PS3 is PAL.

BocoDragon

Tobal 2 is one of the few 3D PS1 fighters that's still really fun today. It's pretty different. Sweet soundtrack, too.

Actually, Tobal 2 was the game that first got me into importing games. I was in fifth grade at the time and was amazed that there were all these games that existed in Japan that I'd never even heard of... and the whole "ZOMG 200 characters" thing in Tobal 2 was the coolest thing in the world at the time. I could never understand the RPG part of the game well enough to earn many of them, though :(
The fact that you could play as a Chocobo blew my mind, in a way that's hard to appreciate now ;P

Teknoman

And another to sub.

Whats the best way to play imports, because i've been using my PS2/PS3 to play PS1 games.

But I actually found a PSone for like 4 bucks. Havent tested it yet, but Panzer Bandit and Gunners Heaven both look pretty good. That and i'm sure Einhander is much cheaper imported.

That's not true at all. You either have a defective console, or most likely, your TV doesn't like 240p or 480i through component. My new Panasonic will play a PS1 game through component. Most TVs will.

Truth. My Wega and even our main LG HDTV (LCD 37LG50) plays PS1 on PS2 just fine via component.

EDIT:

Never ran into this issue either...unless you arent talking about the Greatest hits FFAnthology release.

daveo42

Banned

Well damn. I hope it's the TV and not the console. I have an older Sony Bravia that doesn't like the composite inputs from my PSX either. I do notice the screen gets a bit darker then lighter on some games. I could probably do with a new TV and a CRT for older games. Probably get a Plasma this time around as well.

If it's the PS2, I might have to start searching for a replacement. Please oh please let it not be the console.

Top Bottom