• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

prwxv3

Pretty much the biggest problems I have with these kind of games (like smash bros) are the clone characters that are just there to increase the roster. I would rather have a smaller roster with characters that play differently.

Izick

Pretty much the biggest problems I have with these kind of games (like smash bros) are the clone characters that are just there to increase the roster. I would rather have a smaller roster with characters that play differently.

I've never had a problem with it. Basically if you're giving me 25 unique characters, and like 10 clones, then I'm fine with that. People want to see more characters, and sometimes it's impossible to try and balance all those characters. Having clones allows you to put in characters without risking balance. I could understand if there's a large amount of clones though, but if there aren't then I think it's fine.

prwxv3

I've never had a problem with it. Basically if you're giving me 25 unique characters, and like 10 clones, then I'm fine with that. People want to see more characters, and sometimes it's impossible to try and balance all those characters. Having clones allows you to put in characters without risking balance. I could understand if there's a large amount of clones though, but if there aren't then I think it's fine.

I can see others not being bothered by it. But in the next smash bros I would like more crazy unique characters like Olimar.

prwxv3

It is great that they are giving players the option to play using the D-pad along with the analog stick. I know a ton of fighting game fans that dislike using the analog stick for smash bros. Hopefully the fighting stick rumor is true as well.

shaowebb

I can see others not being bothered by it. But in the next smash bros I would like more crazy unique characters like Olimar.

Olimar took so much work to use he was a joke to most players outside of tourney dudes though. I loved his unique premise and I'm impressed by those who can use running away and such to slowly inch that victory with the guy, but to be honest I hope no characters like Olimar end up in this game. Not saying I don't want original and distinctive movesets on characters because I'd be insane to ever want that. I'm just saying I don't want to play anything like Olimar again in games of this genre.

I WOULD like if they give some of his tools to movesets with more options though.

I'm betting Ratchet & Clank make it into this along with Jak and Daxter and Nathan Drake. I cannot wait to see which weapons Ratchet and Clank get in their toolset and how many items from their games eventually make it into this. Cmooooooon discoball.

Loudninja

It is great that they are giving players the option to play using the D-pad along with the analog stick. I know a ton of fighting game fans that dislike using the analog stick for smash bros. Hopefully the fighting stick rumor is true as well.
Looking at the pics you can see them playing on them.

KevinCow

Banned

Clones are a tricky question.

All else the same, I'd always prefer original characters. I think it's messed up in Brawl how there are characters who had about as much work done as an original character - new model, new animations, all that - but still felt like clones.

On the other hand, in Melee, the clones were tossed in kinda last minute. They just slapped existing animations on new character models and changed some of the numbers. In that case, I didn't really mind.

I guess it comes down to how much effort a new character takes versus a clone. If they took the same effort, I'll take the new character any time. If they could do two clones with the effort it would take to make a new character? I'll still lean towards the new character. Three? Eh... you've almost got me, but I'll still say new character. Four, five, six? Okay, I think you've got me, send in the clones.

On the other hand, I'm not really sure what clones would work for this game.

Zen

Banned
Of course. That's why PaRappa is in there. Sony reminding everyone of one of their big early flops is like Kevin Costner telling everyone he was prominent in The Postman. I don't think he does that.

Yeah, selling 1.4 million in japan alone is a total flop.

Ploid 3.0

All else the same, I'd always prefer original characters. I think it's messed up in Brawl how there are characters who had about as much work done as an original character - new model, new animations, all that - but still felt like clones.

On the other hand, in Melee, the clones were tossed in kinda last minute. They just slapped existing animations on new character models and changed some of the numbers. In that case, I didn't really mind.

I guess it comes down to how much effort a new character takes versus a clone. If they took the same effort, I'll take the new character any time. If they could do two clones with the effort it would take to make a new character? I'll still lean towards the new character. Three? Eh... you've almost got me, but I'll still say new character. Four, five, six? Okay, I think you've got me, send in the clones.

Maybe good Cole MacGrath and evil Cole MacGrath from Infamous. Would be cool if you could become good or bad during the fight though, making it one character.

prwxv3

I think it would better if they avoided clone characters for the first game. Personally I would rather have joke characters.

cyborg009

Banned
Close enough ....

jNyxI.jpg

Ploid 3.0

That would be really awesome if they pulled it off right. Great idea.

Do lv 2 become merciful and thought of as good, be rewarded with a good Cole power, it will be accurate but target a select area not wanting to harm innocent bystanders.

Save up to level 3 and your wrath is evil, premeditated murder type of bad. You would be evil Cole for standard transform time with a heck of a lot of destruction with little care for life hitting whatever and aimlessly (get lucky and hit people. There's a good chance you will).

Level one is normal Cole doing a good shock ability or something, maybe a counter which grabs someone and shock them to death.

KevinCow

Banned
That would be really awesome if they pulled it off right. Great idea.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread:

You know what would be cool?

Square: Good attacks.
Triangle: Evil attacks.

The game keeps track of which you've used more, and Cole's appearance changes to show this. Then your special attacks on O have different properties based on your alignment. When good, grenades will stick to opponents; when evil, they'll split into three.

Endo Punk

What just hap... that was weird :\

Anyway if there are 24 characters I am guessing they will reveal 6 at E3(of course) with more American developed characters which includes Cole. 6 more will be revealed at Gamescom with more Euro developed characters like Sackboy and Jennifer Tate(I swear if shes not in Im gonna be pissed). And the final 6 at TGS with more Japanese centric characters like Toro and Spike.

And seeing as how there will be bonus 3rd party characters they will probably get all the events in between like PAX and Comicon.

I still own the disc featuring that and the mantra. Blew me away as a kid, moving onto the Playstation from a Mega Drive/Snes. The music accompanying the mantra demo is still ace, not to mention incredibly evocative.

Heh, i still remember showing off the T-Rex and manta demos to impress friends when they came over to check out the console. :)

shink

I kinda hope they don't reveal all the characters in the game. I would like there to be a few secret unlockable characters to keep a bit of mystery.

I guess I could just media blackout this game until it's release but I don't think I'll be able to resist the temptation to check.

Would really love to play this on a Vita.

If it ever gets confirmed, I'll buy both the PS3 and Vita versions.

Vita would be really nice to play thanks to the awesome dpad. Wish the PS3 controller had that dpad.

Would really love to play this on a Vita.

If it ever gets confirmed, I'll buy both the PS3 and Vita versions.

Vita would be really nice to play thanks to the awesome dpad. Wish the PS3 controller had that dpad.

Honestly, at first I was begging for a VITA version but with how much is going on and how small the VITA screen is.. I dunno if it could work. I mean I love my VITA and everything and I want to get practically everything for it but I think this type of game that has tons of characters, animations and stuff going on with the camera zooming in and out all the time might not translate well to a smaller screen.

I remember getting super mad playing SSBB on a small SD tv at my friend's house, or even worse, a HDTV, because SSBB was terribly pixelated on it :(

cyborg009

Banned
Honestly, at first I was begging for a VITA version but with how much is going on and how small the VITA screen is.. I dunno if it could work. I mean I love my VITA and everything and I want to get practically everything for it but I think this type of game that has tons of characters, animations and stuff going on with the camera zooming in and out all the time might not translate well to a smaller screen.

I remember getting super mad playing SSBB on a small SD tv at my friend's house, or even worse, a HDTV, because SSBB was terribly pixelated on it :(

If you had CFW PSP you could have played SSB on your PSP and see how it looks

Ploid 3.0

GAF -> Internet -> GAF

Can't really see Yorda being a playable character though. She's so helpless in ICO and Superbot seem to only have one character from each series so shes's probably part of Ico's super.

Fat Princess was helpless in her game too though. At least Yorda had some magic stuff going on.

Fat Princess was helpless in her game too though. At least Yorda had some magic stuff going on.

I think the difference is that people have very little attachment to Fat Princess as a character, while Yorda is from one of the most well loved PS games ever. So it's possible that you'll have people that aren't particularly happy with them changing Yorda just for a fighting game.

Drencrom

True, forgot that. But doesn't that mean that both Ico and Yorda will be playable or maybe they picked Yorda over him? Makes more sense that Ico comes to the rescue in a super haha.

But I still doubt that she will be playable, doesn't feel right to have her fighting.

Drencrom

Ico and Yorda run around holding hands.

And then Ico swings Yorda around as a weapon.

Thought about that too but it would probably look and play weird. Yes, I know that the ice climbers work well in SSB but here Ico will be dragging Yorda around.

Would be kinda adorable

bakedpony

Thought about that too but it would probably look and play weird. Yes, I know that the ice climbers work well in SSB but here Ico will be dragging Yorda around.

Would be kinda adorable

Maybe they have something creative for Ico+Yorda. Ico drags Yorda but if they're separated, the shadows come out for Yorda and Ico must rescue her. The Shadows of course will attack all characters.

Majestros

You can't handle the truth!
He is? Has he posted in this thread?
Hi.

Um, honestly there's not much i could add to this thread. NeoGAF is unbelievably good at tracking down every bit of pre-release info available anywhere.

Just wanted to say thanks for the support and for giving us the benefit of the doubt.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nope. Do share.

A lot of it's from this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453368
But lo-ping organized it.
http://www.lo-ping.org/2011/11/28/sony-smash-bros-kerfuffle/

MOURED CHARACTER LIST (SOME ARE CONFIRMED/WITH PROOF)
3rd Party (12 Characters)
Chell (Confirmed)
John Marston (Based on a dev image saying “Marston. J” in characters)
James Bond (Confirmed)
Isaac Clarke
Captain Price
The Prince (Katamari)
Altair
Paul Phoenix
Rayman
Lightning
Old Snake
Agent 47 (NO info suggesting this yet)
1st Party (26 Characters including double teams)
Clank + Daxter Team
Parappa + Lammy Team
Bentley + George Team (Sly Cooper) (Unknown if true)
Spike + Ape Team (NO info suggesting this yet)
Rico (Killzone) (Confirmed)
Radec (Killzone) (Confirmed)
Nathan Drake (Confirmed)
Sir Daniel Fortesque
Toro (Japanese Sony Mascot)
Chimera Grunt
Cole Mcgrath (Confirmed)
Noby Noby Boy
Sackboy (Confirmed)
Ratchet
Jak
Sweet Tooth
Kratos
Buzz
Unnamed Starhawk Character (Confirmed)
Gabe Logan
Fat Princess (Confirmed)
Modnation Racer Mod

Nothing out there seems too farfetched except for like.. Agent 47. I'm a bit surprised at Lightning instead of Sora if there's Square representation, but I remember reading that Disney owns Sora or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom