• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Community |OT4| God Bless the Chopper!

I've been replaying the series for the first time in probably a decade and while I grasp what MGS2's story is getting at I'm hoping someone can clear up a plot point for me.

So The Patriots (who are now essentially the AI constructs Zero desired to succeed him) concoct a plan (S3) to test their latest AI system, GW, by manipulating Solidus into a terrorist act aboard the Big Shell (which is just a cover for the final stages of development of GW and the Arsenal project). Ok cool so far.

They send in Raiden to see if GW can manipulate him into doing their bidding by selectively feeding and denying him info as well as faking scenarios and contacts (the Colonel) throughout therefore testing GW's capability of doing the same with digital info on a global scale.

Why then does the GW AI itself allow Raiden to gather Emma Emmerich and her digital Foxdie worm cluster and use it to effectively destroy GW (itself!)? It makes no sense. The protection of the Wise mans Committee's identity is moot as it's an "half truth" (like what you did there Kojima!). It never really needed the cluster to vector the deletion of that information as it was another misdirection.

The secondary AI mentions (prior to the final Solidus/Raiden battle) something about completing GW with the inclusion of the worm cluster, but that can't be as, as of MGS4 GW is in ruin and is the very thing re-purposed by Ocelot to finally bring down the AI constructs.

It's seems that the entire purpose of the S3 plan to test GW was pointless as the other AIs essentially destroyed the very system they were testing/supplying test data to.

What?! Why?!

Tested what the AIs can ultimately do, but destroyed GW so Solidus, or anyone else, can't take advantage of it. It mostly took down the Patriot's data from it, and negated Solidus' control over Arsenal and the military AI. It was the AI's ultimate way of saying "you can't touch me" to everyone in the story.

I honestly think that the MGS story was going a totally different way from what we got in MGS4, GOTP retconed the master story that MGS2 (and even 3) was.

I mean, The Patriots were such a mythical entity, but then MGS4 went and said "uhhhhh do you remember the comedic relief of MGS3? uhhh yeah yeah, well, THEY are the Patriots"

Kindekuma

Banned
Never used mods before, is this hard to install?

It's extremely easy. Find the latest version of the SnakeBite mod installer, run the exe, then just give the app the path to the mgstpp.exe.

Installing and removing mods are very straight forward and painless.

NoFoX

If someone is interested in replaying MGO2 again for PS3, it's available from the 12th June for OFW PS3 and ASAP for CFW PS3

Original Message from GHz Gangster:
In case you didn't get the hint... MGO2 1.36 for OFW is back June 12th. CFW coming out ASAP.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/savemgo/status/867984077609082880[/tweet]

Probably old news but i just read this great article debating on the canonicity of PO and Rising.
http://thesnakesoup.org/myth-articles/myth-hideo-kojima-said-portable-ops-rising-canonical/
They are still canon to me :(
The way I see it, regardless if Kojima considered the core broad story theme of PO canon or not, is that a similar event had to of occurred. PO is essentially where Outer Heaven is born. PW is more where it comes into reality for the first time, but the wheels of Outer Heaven have begun to turn by then. PW is more where Snake accepts becoming Big Boss. So, whether it's in PO or not, there had to have been an event similar to PO that caused him to see the plight of foreign soldiers, hired soldiers, abandoned soldiers, and likely also even some sort of namesake inspiration (Army's Heaven to Outer Heaven).

You could see PO as a second hand interpretation of what happened. Sort of how the X-Men comic books are portrayed in Logan. Did it all happen? No. It's not directly from Snake/Kojima. But the broad strokes, influenced by myths and legends and compiled by a third-party, are brought together to try tell the story about what the world 'thinks' happened in PO and how Outer Heaven was born. A sort of 'story' about the legend of Big Boss from an outside source.

Can someone help me because I think I may be going crazy with this.

So I put a good 300 hours into MGSV on xb1 before getting a ps4. Now I bought the physical version of the Definitive edition on ps4 and started playing it yesterday.

But something seems weird. There's a constant mini stutter that happens every second (I timed it) when I'm just running around the world or mother base.

I don't remember this being in the xb1 version and it's kind of frustrating me. I'm on a slim ps4 that's only about two months old.

Is this a known issue?

I recorded a video of it but it doesn't seem to show up that well if at all.

Was bored and looking up stuff on metalgeartimeline.com, found this gem:

During the Cold War a Soviet woman dies giving birth to her son. One day this kid – named Tretij Rebenok - acknowledge his psychic power after managing to read his dad's mind. He discovers that his dad hates him to death. Angered, the kid kills his dad burning down his entire village.

I'm betting this whole thing needs a grammatical once-over, not to mention some outright re-writes.

Embearded

Can someone help me because I think I may be going crazy with this.

So I put a good 300 hours into MGSV on xb1 before getting a ps4. Now I bought the physical version of the Definitive edition on ps4 and started playing it yesterday.

But something seems weird. There's a constant mini stutter that happens every second (I timed it) when I'm just running around the world or mother base.

I don't remember this being in the xb1 version and it's kind of frustrating me. I'm on a slim ps4 that's only about two months old.

Is this a known issue?

I recorded a video of it but it doesn't seem to show up that well if at all.

I own the day one edition and i haven't noticed any stuttering. I've spent a good amount of time on mother base hunting diamonds and fooling around. Maybe try reinstalling it?

Okay, so now having had a few more sessions with the game the stuttering has completely vanished. Weirdest thing. Not that I'm complaining. Maybe it was some sort of caching issue early on with the hard drive? I'll be making it Africa shortly so it'll be a good way to see if the issue repeats itself.

edit: oh my god it came back :/

going to re-install

edit 2:

it worked fine for a while then started again. I've contacted Konami support.

Franziska

Is it possible to go full Rambo in MGS1-4? And how does the normal stealth gameplay compare to MGRR?

I'm a huge Revengeance fan, but didn't really enjoy the stealth sections. However I did enjoy stealthing my way through DE/DE:HR, Thief (Non-reboots) and parts of The Witcher 2.

I'm planning to give my PS3 away soon and need to decide if I should buy the legacy collection or not.

Is it possible to go full Rambo in MGS1-4? And how does the normal stealth gameplay compare to MGRR?

I'm a huge Revengeance fan, but didn't really enjoy the stealth sections. However I did enjoy stealthing my way through DE/DE:HR, Thief (Non-reboots) and parts of The Witcher 2.

I'm planning to give my PS3 away soon and need to decide if I should buy the legacy collection or not.

it's a bit easier to rambo in mgs4, but not so much in 1-3. the mechanics are just not meant for that. the stealth in mgs 1-4 is sublime once you get the controls down. much better than in revengeance. really not any comparison. having said that, the controls are very, very different in 1-3 compared to modern games and will definitley have a steep learning curve

Going rambo in Subsistence is somewhat OK.... the new TPS camera makes it a bit more manageable since the first-person aiming in the original is so unmanageable. Still not as good as Peace Walker even, let alone 4 or V... but you can kinda manage it at least.

That said, it also reveals just how small the maps are and how designed they are for top-down stealth, that even if I do play MGS3 rambo-style I still avoid the new TPS camera. I think it ruins the tension and atmosphere of the game, and that sort of purposefully constrained vulnerability of the classic MGS camera.

Snake Eater is still great to go rambo in if only because Naked camo + Zombie facepaint is the GOAT hhh

TheBoss1

Anyone still play MGO3 in here? At this point it seems like I can remember everyone who plays because the userbase is so tiny now.

NoFoX

Since english isn't my nativ language, someone can open one as soon as it's back online.
I think it's a good idea to get people back on it!

aember

So it seems like Konami is shutting down MGO3 this year.

I'm in the discord channel for MGO2R and this was just posted:

We regret to inform you that online services for "METAL GEAR ONLINE" (MGO3) will draw to a close on October 6, 2017, 6:59:59 (PST) Thank you to everyone for all of your loyal support for "MGO3".

The message came from a link that has apparently been brought down now, just gives a 404, that you can find by going here and clicking on "Server Operating Status & Maintenance info."

Obviously, take it with a pinch of salt, but I'm not really that surprised.

-Deimos

The message came from a link that has apparently been brought down now, just gives a 404, that you can find by going here and clicking on "Server Operating Status & Maintenance info."

I know it wasn't doing well but that's still surprising. At least MGO2R is coming soon.

Long overdue. MGO3 is the weakest offering in the entire series, including the touchscreen game. It was a free add-on to an amazing game yet it still found a way to be a bad value proposition.

TheBoss1

Damn and I still play it to this day.
Long overdue. MGO3 is the weakest offering in the entire series, including the touchscreen game. It was a free add-on to an amazing game yet it still found a way to be a bad value proposition.
If you are referring to content and support then I completely agree with you. The gameplay on the other hand is stellar.

I have a potentially dumb question but here goes.

So I have the Def. Edition on PS4 physical copy. I remember reading that TPP saves carry forward to the Def. Ed. Also includes all DLC.

Now, the base digital version of TPP is on sale for $13 on PSN, and I kind of want to have just sitting on my hard drive.

If I download the standalone TPP is there any likelihood that my Def. Ed progress will carry over/backward to TPP? And possibly the DLC?

I know it's a really fucked situation. I think I might just say fuck it and try it. $13 isn't really a huge gamble.

Erigu

If I download the standalone TPP is there any likelihood that my Def. Ed progress will carry over/backward to TPP? And possibly the DLC?
I really don't think that would work. I believe it's not so much that the save carried forward to the definitive edition, but rather that the definitive edition allowed you to convert your old save. I imagine you'd need some other tool to then convert it back, and Konami just hasn't provided that. In fact, I seem to remember the official site actually asks you not to play the original version of the game again if you've been using the definitive edition.

I really don't think that would work. I believe it's not so much that the save carried forward to the definitive edition, but rather that the definitive edition allowed you to convert your old save. I imagine you'd need some other tool to then convert it back, and Konami just hasn't provided that. In fact, I seem to remember the official site actually asks you not to play the original version of the game again if you've been using the definitive edition.

That's fair. I"ll take your word for it. What I might just do is buy TPP anyway since it's so cheap and just leave it not downloaded for when/if I ever get rid of my Def. Edition physical copy. Then I'd just erase the save data and start over with vanilla TPP.

MGO3 could have been something special. On it's initial release my group of friends played it on a fairly regular bases. I guess the lack of support kind of killed interest for it. Even though I don't really have praises to sing for mgo2 atleast you can look at it and say they tried for a while.

On the topic of Rambo'ing I guess it really depends if you're willing to play on the easier settings. Up until you pick up Automatic weapons in 1-3 I'd say it's not really fun. Subsistence probably being he best among the 3 for real shooting. More of a test of patience since you can't aim and move in fpv, you can in tpv but it's a little cumbersome MGS4 onwards you can mop up real easy. I've had playthroughs of mgs4 with nothing but a pistol and i do still thing the shooting feels fun. MGSv of course is the king for Gun-a-blazing.

ironmang

Probably a long shot but I guess I'll ask here. I'm currently playing MGS3 on Vita but the controls are making it REALLY hard to play. Like, for some reason, when I take a couple shots with the AK it just lowers. All I'm doing is holding R1 and pressing Square, not touching back or front pad, not touching any other buttons, nothing. The gun just decides to lower when I'm in a fight even when I'm not being hit.

From the animated film "Your Name":
l17kmnxsbqbz.jpg

I'm looking for an original english pdf file version of the Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - The Complete Official Guide - Collector's Edition

41DkpZBANtL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

If anybody has a link to download this version of the strategy book please send me a message,

Thanks.

Kindekuma

Banned
I'm looking for an original english pdf file version of the Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - The Complete Official Guide - Collector's Edition

If anybody has a link to download this version of the strategy book please send me a message,

Thanks.

A PDF version even exists?

From mgsreddit fan made poster (The Boss in WW2):
Damn....

My dream Metal Gear games from Konami, assuming the following:
- they'd be open world 'army/base building' Ubi-esque 'Diamond Dogs/Militaires Sans Frontieres' style games
- they'd have to have sort of of microtransaction/progression system because Konami wants monies

Are either a Metal Gear Venom: basically MGS V but a few years later in 2 new maps where you basically do the exact same stuff to send resources to Outer Heaven and build up the Reputation of Big Boss

Or Metal Gear Cobra... maybe like a sort of Metal Gear GR Wildlands where your Cobra Unit goes around Europe taking out Nazi leaders haha.

Wish we had got the former instead of Metal Gear Survive o.0

Man, for all the hate I give MGSV I still can't get over how much I loved that intro.
Absolutely love hearing that song on the radio every now and then.

oldmario

Thanks.

wouldn't that be considered piracy?

So I booted up the Definitive Edition on PS4 after a couple weeks hiatus and had to get it patched to 1.03. I googled it but no results. Anybody know what it does?

Body_Hammer

Neo Member
I got the HD collection on PS3 because I felt like replaying MGS3, but the framerate shits the bed during the opening briefing cutscene. I read this is a problem with the UK/EU version.

Anyone else experienced this? I've ordered an US copy to see if that works better buy it'll be a few weeks until it arrives.

The Secret Nuclear Disarmament Event - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

In addition to Mission 46, there is another important secret in *Metal Gear Solid V*: a hidden event that can only be unlocked when very specific conditions are fulfilled.

1. You must have completed Mission 31.

2. You must not own or be currently developing a nuclear weapon. If you have any nukes in stock, you must dismantle them.

3. Certain conditions related to nuclear proliferation must be met on the regional server for your corresponding gaming platform (PS4, Xbox One, PC, PS3, Xbox 360).

4. All nuclear weapons on the regional server corresponding to your console or platform must have been dismantled. In other words, the amount of nukes on your platform's server must be equal to 0.

If all four conditions are met, you will automatically trigger the secret nuclear disarmament event when you return to Mother Base or after you complete a main mission. Should new nukes be developed after conditions 3 and 4 have been fulfilled, this event can be repeated by fulfilling all four conditions again.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - The Complete Official Guide - Collector's Edition

Sample pages - Walkthrough (Mission 46) download link (pdf file password: Quiet)

Top Bottom