• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Vf3T2u

Yeah....

This game can't come to the 3DS eshop soon enough. I prefer owning originals and all, but those prices...It's a decent game, but I got a car from a friend for less than those prices.

plc268

and now tomorrow, someone will make a thread on GAF "I can't believe how expensive Shantae is"

The funny thing is, is that I don't even like Shantae that much. I bought it off another guy here on GAF a little while back for a decent price, and I like having it in my collection.

Het_Nkik

The funny thing is, is that I don't even like Shantae that much. I bought it off another guy here on GAF a little while back for a decent price, and I like having it in my collection.

I like the dungeons but the "overworld" is way too much for a sidescrolling game imo.

Mzo

It's not that great a game. Too many blind jumps, enemies take too many hits, shitty hit detection on your hair attack, etc.

Eh, it has its good parts and it's really pretty. The monkey transformation almost makes it worth it.

Parallacs

Yeah, I didn't want to poop on it when I brought it up.

The reason I never really hunted for it was because I have the eShop sequel and I never played more than an hour of it. I just didn't like it at all.

Yeah, I didn't want to poop on it when I brought it up.

The reason I never really hunted for it was because I have the eShop sequel and I never played more than an hour of it. I just didn't like it at all.

Honestly, I borrowed the original from a friend for a year and never got far since the poor range you have makes it really hard to fight without getting hit. I love the platforming adventure genre, though, and I adored the (too short) sequel, so I want to give it another shot, but it really is frustrating.

That said, the monkey transformation was indeed great. I also loved the large world, the wealth of abilities, and what I played of the dungeons.

Roge_NES

I'm a HUGE GBA fan, it's my favorite console. :D

be00e510e95b11e190bd22000a1cdd09_7.jpg

Some of the collection, besides having 1 gameboy of every model I'm only missing the first gameboy, a play it loud and the Gameboy Light.

7a8b6084545511e2b7ea22000a1f9366_7.jpg

AGS-101, that back-lit screen.

6eddeca861ab11e28a5622000a1fbe35_7.jpg

1bdbae98f55211e1be981231380f620c_7.jpg

My favorite games.

f1a0b1aa51fe11e29b0e22000a9f12cb_7.jpg

a38f854209a911e291a022000a1e8839_7.jpg

Chinner

Banned
I've still got quite a few boxed games, links awakening, oracle of seasons, pokemon red and countless more.

does anyone remember dragon warriors: monsters ?that game owned.

I remember being slightly confused years and years ago when I saw Ghost Babel with an 'E' rating because I knew the console game (both titled as Metal Gear Solid in the US) was mature. Also, it's rather surprising that it didn't get a T-rating based on some uses of "damn" and one of the bosses committing suicide.

Also, I could not believe I found the game a few years ago (when I had actually played the games) at a gamestop for $5. It was just the cartridge, but I can't believe I found it there and at a low price. This was also when GBC games were getting phased out of their stores.

The only boxed gameboy games I own are two GBA ones: Final Fantasy VI Advance and Mother 3.

Chinner

Banned
^ i really want mario kart super circuit again, i swear i had it but it's gone lost in a house move. that game was SAFE.

canocha

I have a few CIB games:

GB/GBC:
  • Pokemon Yellow;
  • Pokemon Red;
  • Pokemon Blue;
  • Pokemon Pinball;
  • Pokemon TGC;
  • Pokemon Gold;
  • Pokemon Silver;
  • Pokemon Crystal;
  • Pokemon Puzzle Challenge;
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons;
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages.

GBA:
  • Metroid Fusion;
  • Metroid Zero Mission;
  • Golden Sun;
  • Golden Sun 2;
  • Boktai;
  • Boktai 2;
  • Breath of Fire 2;
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance;
  • Pokemon FireRed;
  • Pokemon LeafGreen;
  • Pokemon Ruby;
  • Pokemon Sapphire;
  • Pokemon Emerald;
  • Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire Pinball;
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red (Sealed).

Damn Shantae is god damn expensive!!

-KRS-

I'm kind of skeptical to re-releases making the price of the original drop in price. At least significantly. I don't think I've seen that happen myself. Chrono Trigger for example came out for the DS and it was still expensive on the SNES. Maybe it dropped €10-15 but nothing extreme. And then it went right back up again. Trip World came out on the 3DS VC, but it's still expensive. If anything it became more expensive because suddenly a whole bunch of new people heard about it. People still like to have the original. I have Ristar on Wii VC for examle, but I don't consider myself an owner of the game.

Edit: I think it can probably help with keeping the original from going up much more in price though. So if Earthbound had received a re-release it might not have become this expensive, but would have stayed at around $60-70 for a while longer.

Mzo

I kept my brick GB, GB Pocket and GB Color. Ever since Nintendo introduced L and R buttons, the R button has broken in every one of those systems for me. At that point I would just trade it in for the next one. Every single system from GBA up until 3DS. And I take damn good care of my stuff. It sucks.

I have a GBA SP+ that I've replaced the shoulder buttons on, a DSi XL and a 3DS XL. I figure with those three I can play any Nintendo handheld game at its best.

Oh, I did buy a white original GBA for boktai and boktai 2 since those are the only screens that properly reflect sunlight. Every one after is like a black hole that sucks in all light atound it.

-KRS-

A good thing about collecting OG (original greensta) Gameboys must be that they never break.

One thing I've noticed though is that the screen can get columns of dead pixels very easily, especially near the edges. I think I read somewhere that it's because the flat cable to the screen gets damaged or something. Going to flea markets looking for OG GBs I've found countless of such systems and hardly ever one that has a 100% working screen.

Parallacs

I'm kind of skeptical to re-releases making the price of the original drop in price. At least significantly. I don't think I've seen that happen myself. Chrono Trigger for example came out for the DS and it was still expensive on the SNES. Maybe it dropped €10-15 but nothing extreme. And then it went right back up again. Trip World came out on the 3DS VC, but it's still expensive. If anything it became more expensive because suddenly a whole bunch of new people heard about it. People still like to have the original. I have Ristar on Wii VC for examle, but I don't consider myself an owner of the game.

Edit: I think it can probably help with keeping the original from going up much more in price though. So if Earthbound had received a re-release it might not have become this expensive, but would have stayed at around $60-70 for a while longer.

Yeah it looks like Shantae and Earthbound have passed the point of no return. I doubt digital releases now would lower their price at all.

I guess I'm the worst kind of collector because I have Dracula X Rondo of Blood on both the PSP and Wii VC and yet I still hunt for the PC Engine copy of it along with the Turboduo. That is wasting a lot of money on something I already own haha.

One thing I've noticed though is that the screen can get columns of dead pixels very easily, especially near the edges. I think I read somewhere that it's because the flat cable to the screen gets damaged or something. Going to flea markets looking for OG GBs I've found countless of such systems and hardly ever one that has a 100% working screen.

Yeah at all the swap meets I go to, most of the gameboys are missing the protective cover and are covered in a yellow ooze. Terrible.

But aaaaaa is right in that the original gameboy is almost unbreakable. Just don't leave it in the sun and rain for 25 years.

Linkhero1

I'll post my collection when I can, but something I've always wanted but never had was Minish Cap CIB. It's too expensive for me at the moment :(

Macka

0072224251961_500X500.jpg

This game was surprisingly great. Huge improvement over the first game in the series, and even the sequel (Buu's Fury) wasn't as good. Also:

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising

What are some good prices on GBC/GBA games??

My local store prices most of them at $10 or $15, which I think is insane, would I better off on eBay? I just worry about shipping making it not worth it (im in Canada)

Linkhero1

0072224251961_500X500.jpg

This game was surprisingly great. Huge improvement over the first game in the series, and even the sequel (Buu's Fury) wasn't as good. Also:

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising

I remember spending hours competing with my brothers and friends to complete the game first.

-KRS-

haha yeah GBs without the protective cover. I still don't understand how that happens accidentally, but it seems pretty common with OG Game Boys. Not so much with Pockets and Colors though. Maybe the glue in the OG GB was really weak or something. :p

E: And Minish Cap CIB is expensive nowadays? I've never really been into the GBA, nor have I owned one, but I got MC when I bought my DS. It's a Zelda game though so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

haha yeah GBs without the protective cover. I still don't understand how that happens accidentally, but it seems pretty common with OG Game Boys. Not so much with Pockets and Colors though. Maybe the glue in the OG GB was really weak or something. :p

Probably all dried up after so many years of heat/cold (expansion/contraction)

I have a few in my collection but nothing worth showing. Must buy some more sometime.

Can anyone help me on a name of a game. You had robots that you collected and battled. Battle's where kind of like a 2D fighter. Used to play it a lot as a kid but lost the cart and forgot the name...

Linkhero1

I have a few in my collection but nothing worth showing. Must buy some more sometime.

Can anyone help me on a name of a game. You had robots that you collected and battled. Battle's where kind of like a 2D fighter. Used to play it a lot as a kid but lost the cart and forgot the name...

Wild guess is Metabots? What platform was it for GB, GBC or GBA?

Another GB DBZ game that's surprisingly good is Legendary Super Warriors, for Game Boy Color.

It's kinda hard to describe how the game actually plays, but it's kind of like a turn based RPG, but you use cards to perform your actions. Doesn't sound like much at first, but playing the game and getting every card/attack becomes incredibly addicting. The best part is New Game+, where you can use any character you have unlocked in any fight, with your levels and abilities carried over from your first playthrough, and finding all of the ways to unlock all of the characters (There's actually quite a few!) and their transformations. I must have played this game at least six or seven times straight, just to find all of the secrets. Such an underrated game.

mt1200

GBA SP brighter is the best GB+GBC+GBA player.

You guys have awesome collections, I only have like 6 boxed mint games, and 1 yugioh cart.

Advance wars 2 is getting expensive and scarce in ebay, gotta buy it fast.

-KRS-

Another GB DBZ game that's surprisingly good is Legendary Super Warriors, for Game Boy Color.

It's kinda hard to describe how the game actually plays, but it's kind of like a turn based RPG, but you use cards to perform your actions.

That sounds just like some of the Famicom DBZ games actually.

Parallacs

Advance wars 2 is getting expensive and scarce in ebay, gotta buy it fast.

ugh, I need to find this.

I lost my copy of it shortly after beating it five years ago. I remember that last mission was akin to being kicked in the beanbag every two minutes. It was like portable Homeworld 2 in terms of sequel-difficulty.

plc268

Not at all, probably the cheapest systems to get all the essentials for.

WarioWare Twisted is the most essential of all!!

Meh. I have a warioware twisted here, and it's like the stain of my collection. I absolutely hate that game.

To be fair, I find wario ware games in general to be dull anyway.

Mzo

Meh. I have a warioware twisted here, and it's like the stain of my collection. I absolutely hate that game.

Jesus H. Christ. It's ok to be less excited about them about the later games, but not liking the original or Twisted! is a crime.

I buy games to play, not to collect, so I tend to only buy one version of multiple version games. I only have Pokemon Red, Gold, Sapphire, LeafGreen, Pearl, etc. Same goes for the MMBNs after 2.

I need to beat MMBN2 so I can start MMBN3 and buy MMBN4 =X

I didn't keep my old cardboard boxes as a kid, so I don't have them for GB or GBC games. I did coincidentally end up with all the Wario games boxed, including VB Wario Land. Wahaha!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
GBA SP brighter is the best GB+GBC+GBA player.

I used to play all of my games on the GBA Player when I was younger, but I can't tolerate it now because of the border and the blown-up resolution. SP/Micro is the way to go.

JazzmanZ

My list

Gameboy/Color

• Super Mario bros. Deluxe
    Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
    Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
    Pokemon Pinball
    Oracle of Seasons
    Yoshi
    Bust a move
    Quest for Camelot
    The simpsons treehouse of horror
    Hamtaro

Gameboy advance

• Super Mario advance
    Super Mario advance 2
    Super Mario advance 3
    Super mario Advance 4
    Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
    Pokemon Fire red/ leaf green
    Mario & Luigi
    Hamtaro GBA
    Castlevania Circle of moon
    Castlevania Harmony of dissonance
    Castlevania Aria of sorrow
    Megaman & Bass
    Finding Nemo
    Spy kids 3D
    Rugrats go wild
    Wario ware Twisted
    Golden Sun 2

I'll think of more later.

-KRS-

Just won a GB Pocket on eBay for $12. I wish boxed handhelds weren't so expensive otherwise I'd collect them all.

The Japanese ones doesn't seem too bad. Here was one in basically new condition on a Swedish auction site that sold for 251 SEK (more or less €25) with 5 cartridges. I kicked myself when I saw that because I had just bought the two Pockets I talked about in my post with the GB picture for around €25 for both.

Linkhero1

The Japanese ones doesn't seem too bad. Here was one in basically new condition on a Swedish auction site that sold for 251 SEK (more or less €25) with 5 cartridges. I kicked myself when I saw that because I had just bought the two Pockets I talked about in my post with the GB picture for around €25 for both.

I'd go for those as well but I'm mainly trying to stay within NA for now.

-KRS-

anyone else prefer the gameboy consoles over the DS?
Well I'm definitely using my Game Boys more often than both my DS and 3DS these days, I can tell you that much. But that's just the way I am. I prefer retro games to new games in general because they're more my style.

I'd go for those as well but I'm mainly trying to stay within NA for now.

Ah fair enough. I think eventually though we will all have to opt for the Japanese versions of games and consoles when prices continues to go up. Then the Japanese will be angry at us stupid gaijin collectors who drives up their prices haha.

Parallacs

Sounds like someone who can't beat the end boss.

Just joking, but yeah the boss in twisted is up there with Dark Souls and Super Meat Boy.

I'll admit that the series has started to die after the brilliance of smooth moves.

I think I need a new Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. It doesn't always start up right away when I turn the system on. Have to keep inserting it. Maybe it's just dirty. Hmm.

Booter

gb.jpg.JPG

I have hundreds or thousands of GB/GBC/GBA, mostly GB, much of it EU/JP. this is a picture of the pile of 'games I'm trying after I've bought them'.

-KRS-

I couldn't buy big lots of games like that. I think it takes out a lot of the fun in collecting. It sure is a more economically sound strategy though. Especially if you sell whatever you don't want after picking out what you do want.

By the way, were there any official AC adapters for GB? Or more specifically for GBP/GBC (they use the same ones). I bought a Big Ben one last month but it introduces a lot of buzzing into the sound output, especially using the headphone out.

Edit: also if anyone is looking for flashcarts, I did a write-up on the EMS USB 64M Smartcard on my little blog. Don't worry there aren't any ads there, and I'm not promoting my blog (lol who would read it anyway?). Just thought I'd put that there if anyone is interested. I don't want to call it a review though, because it's basically just me rambling about the features and such, and it's very wordy.

Top Bottom