• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS sold (MC: 207k, Enterbrain: 215k) last week in Japan due to price drop

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
So this pushes 3DS well above the "early PSP" hardware line it has been close to lately. (On Kindle now, so no fancy imagery demonstrating this.)

Internet on the Kindle? You're a braver man than I. Even using the Wii, PS3, or 3DS is a saer bet :p

Akainu

Serenade said:
He's posted before that he's not into the 3DS.
I'm not into his horrible Monster Hunter ideas. But yeah that too. Unless a orange on comes out.

SwiftSketcher said:
I just want my Ape Escape 4 :c
oPGlq.jpg

onken

Great sales, I've seen very few sell-outs so they must have had mad stock on stand-by. Now for the coming weeks..

I like this position Nintendo is in, one where they take a hit per console. I know it sounds like a hater thing to say but I'm interested to see a Nintendo that fights for their consumers. Time to get scrappy and keep the momentum alive. Like Sony did for a long while to keep the PS3 momentum strong, it's time to unleash the fury of games and get the marketing engines revving again, get people excited. I kind of miss that from them.

Should be interesting to see how balls out serious they are in making this thing skyrocket. Guess we wont find out until 2012 though, since the 2011 lineup is pretty much set in stone (and is looking good).

Zen said:
Not that a 40% price drop wouldn't stimulate sales in the first place but the Pokemon game did also come out on the same day. Of course sales will go up with the device having a massive price drop, but that doesn't mean that a lack of compelling software, not price, was the primary factor in the sluggish 3DS sales before hand.
There was a huge spike in sales caused by the release of a new color, but I think that was cut short by the news of a price drop. If they have a bunch of new colors, they could probably keep sales numbers up without needing compelling software immediately.

Busaiku

Jinfash said:
What's the next wave of software releases with a potential to sustain these sales?
There's actually nothing big in Japan until Super Mario 3D Land.
Unless Ninja Boobs takes off.

Excellent. Bundle Pilotwings for Xmas.
Activate God Mode sales and get JPN development cracking in time for 2012 to be a killer second wave like DS 2005.

The Return of the King posts made me LOL. Awesome work, guys!

I hope the price was enough to get people to start flooding in, but it may take something like Mario Kart or a new franchise to get the masses.

cvxfreak

These are fantastic sales and can only get better once Nintendo's big hits come out.

I'm not yet convinced that Nintendo can pull off 1.5 years of 100K+ weeks, but I'm not sure if anyone is expecting that at this point.

Emitan

Stumpokapow said:
Internet on the Kindle? You're a braver man than I. Even using the Wii, PS3, or 3DS is a saer bet :p
I was posting on here when I had no internet access but a Kindle for a week. Fucking terrible. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO BROWSE THE INTERNET ON A BOOK?

pieatorium said:
It's not like Sony, Microsoft, Steam/DD, random company or game threads aren't also full of crazy lol

Yeah, but Nintendo brings out a special kind of crazy...
I mean, it got a mod demoted!

Erethian

Boney said:
If we're talking Japan, what are the heavy hitters? Hot shots golf is probably the biggest right? Is gravity daze planned for launch and how does the wipeout series usually do?

Hot Shots should do decently, but it also seems to be a series on decline. So it's hard to know.

Here's the only Wipeout game I could find in Joshua's database.

464+-+Wipeout+Pure+-+PSP

Can't really think of any other Japanese-centric titles that stand out.

Alrus

nckillthegrimace said:
Are any of the myriad of Level 5 3DS games slated to come out this year? Those should be big sellers, right?

I think Inazuma Eleven is coming out in November unless it was delayed. With the new price it should sell pretty well yes. Layton is already out but it'll probably get a boost now the price is affordable for the mass.

For the rest of their game, no idea. Some of them are probably gonna be delayed for years too, so don't get to excited. Level 5 likes to announce a bazillion projects each year, then take years to finish them. Layton and Inazuma are the only franchise they release with consistency...

StickSoldier said:
I bet that game flies off the shelves.

It'll be quite fun if it actually does sell well. I'm pretty sure it won't though :(

Trike

Akainu said:
I'm not into his horrible Monster Hunter ideas. But yeah that too. Unless a orange on comes out.

What ideas were terrible? I mean, jumping is the feverish dream of a madman in Monster Hunter, but the others would be obvious. Well, Gyro camera control seems stupid, but other than that.

Alrus said:
It'll be quite fun if it actually does sell well. I'm pretty sure it won't though :(

Lol, it would be crazy. I could see Nintendo trying to get a NSMB game out sometime next year. They always seem to sell monstrous amounts. That, plus a new Pokemon generation would absolutely make 3DS a huge hit.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Busaiku said:
Nothing has a date yet.

IE GO has been confirmed for this holiday season by Hino. They also have Cinderella Life (?)....and probably Fantasy Life. Though i expect Fantasy Life to hit in spring 2012.

midonnay

uchihasasuke said:
so, this means Wii U is going to launch at a pretty competitive price instead of a "let's milk the early adopters and rack mad profits" price?

I hope they've learnt their lesson..... noone cares about software when the price is so exorbitant.

Inazuma Eleven should be kind of a big deal. Biggest thing of the DS/PSP generation that wasn't Nintendo, Monster Hunter, or Dragon Quest.

Re: Kindle browsing, I usually use it for simple stuff like Twitter and Gmail. Only try GAFing if I catch wind of something I'm impatient to hear more about.

Top Bottom