• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(09-06-2017, 04:49 AM)
More_Badass's Avatar


Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links




Darkest Dungeon

Cat Quest

Nobleman: 1896

Shadow Fight 2: Special Edition

Strike Team Hydra

Cat Bird

Super Phantom Cat 2

Technobabylon

Power Hover: Cruise

Swim Out

Max & The Magic Marker Remastered

Piece Out

Bitgram

The Knight Watch

More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(09-06-2017, 04:49 AM)
More_Badass's Avatar


Minos Strategos - September 1st

The Guides Axiom - September 5th

Iron Marines - September 14th

Grapple Gum - September 14th

Through The Ages - September 14th

Morphite - September 20th

More releases to be added soon
___________________________________________________________________________



iOS Gaming August 2017 | Better Layton Never
iOS Gaming July 2017 | A day late, and 32 bits short
iOS Gaming June 2017 | What Would Apple Do (WWAD)
iOS Gaming May 2017 | Got 99 problems but 32 bit ain't one
iOS Gaming April 2017 | Canceled due to backlog
iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS
iOS Gaming February 2017 | Providing escapism since 2008
iOS Gaming January 2017 | Swipe Right Into The New Year

Visit the January 2017 thread for links to all 2016 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2016 thread for links to all 2015 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

___________________________________________________________________________





Originally Posted by Pray For Death

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

___________________________________________________________________________


Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Saucycarpdog for this month's thread title, as well as Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads
Saucycarpdog
Member
(09-06-2017, 04:55 AM)
Saucycarpdog's Avatar
I should really say this more: thank you so much for these threads M_B! I think everyone here appreciates the effort and time you put into them.

Looking forward to Iron Marines and Through the Ages this month. Potentially Morphite as well if the controls are good.
More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(09-06-2017, 04:56 AM)
More_Badass's Avatar

Originally Posted by Saucycarpdog

I should really say this more: thank you so much for these threads M_B! I think everyone here appreciates the effort and time you put into them.

Looking forward to Iron Marines and Through the Ages this month. Potentially Morphite as well if the controls are good.

I'll be adding the usual details over the weekend, just wanted to get the thread up for now
bonesquad
Member
(09-06-2017, 06:06 AM)
bonesquad's Avatar
Great (start to a) thread! Most of my gaming time lately has been on Switch, and so did I miss the news Playdek sold some of their games to Asmodee? Or is Playdek completely done now?

I saw Stately Play tweet that both Ascension and Twilight Struggle list Asmodee as the publisher on the App Store. Asmodee has had some good games, but not multiplayer-wise like Playdek was once king at. Ah, Playdek. Once so great, but they reached for that golden apple and failed. Hard.
Rodney McKay
Member
(09-06-2017, 06:27 AM)
Rodney McKay's Avatar
Ooh, that Morphite game looks pretty cool.

I think I remember it around when No Man's Sky was coming out and thinking it had some things in common.
Might see how it is on Switch since it's listed on their site, but it would be cool to have on my phone or iPad.
RustyO
Member
(09-06-2017, 06:34 AM)
RustyO's Avatar
Thanks again / as always More_Badass. Always appreciate the time and effort you put into these monthly threads.

Fairly safe bet I'll be up for Iron Marines when it arrives.
killercow
Member
(09-06-2017, 08:15 AM)
killercow's Avatar
Thanks for the thread!

In other news: Radiangames' catalog is back on the App Store and they'll all be updated to 64bit (+ hi-res). Everything's on sale for $1.
Ferulci
Member
(09-06-2017, 09:20 AM)
Ferulci's Avatar
Thanks for the thread and thanks for the plug (I'm the dev of the Knight Watch)
The Guides Axiom and Minos Strategos look awesome !
Oynox
Member
(09-06-2017, 09:21 AM)
Oynox's Avatar

Originally Posted by killercow

Thanks for the thread!

In other news: Radiangames' catalog is back on the App Store and they'll all be updated to 64bit (+ hi-res). Everything's on sale for $1.

Everyone should pick up at least Super Crossfighter which is an absolutely great take on the space invaders formula due to the switching sides portion.
killercow
Member
(09-06-2017, 09:59 AM)
killercow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ferulci

Thanks for the thread and thanks for the plug (I'm the dev of the Knight Watch)
The Guides Axiom and Minos Strategos look awesome !

The Guides Axiom:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-...265157039?mt=8

Minos Strategos:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mino...256647127?mt=8
Matt Frost
Member
(09-06-2017, 10:31 AM)
Matt Frost's Avatar

Originally Posted by killercow

Thanks for the thread!

In other news: Radiangames' catalog is back on the App Store and they'll all be updated to 64bit (+ hi-res). Everything's on sale for $1.

Super Crossfighter, Crush! and Inferno+ are must haves for that price
awp69
Member
(09-06-2017, 10:58 AM)
awp69's Avatar

Originally Posted by killercow

Thanks for the thread!

In other news: Radiangames' catalog is back on the App Store and they'll all be updated to 64bit (+ hi-res). Everything's on sale for $1.

Wow! Was just talking about them in the last thread. Fantastic news. All awesome games.

Looks like just Inferno 2 ($1.99), SideSwype and Devastator are 64-bit as of now. But great that they will all be updated.

Also looks like weíll need to re-buy them all but Iím fine with that. Well worth supporting this dev.

Thanks MB for the thread!!!

Edit: Well, this is odd. Strangely looks like the radiangames games can be redownloaded on iOS 10 but not on iOS 11. Glitch?
Last edited by awp69; 09-06-2017 at 11:14 AM.
killercow
Member
(09-06-2017, 11:13 AM)
killercow's Avatar

Originally Posted by awp69


Also looks like weíll need to re-buy them all but Iím fine with that. Well worth supporting this dev.

Are you sure about that? Those are apps from 2014, thus you shouldn't need to buy them again once they are updated.
awp69
Member
(09-06-2017, 11:15 AM)
awp69's Avatar

Originally Posted by killercow

Are you sure about that? Those are apps from 2014, thus you shouldn't need to buy them again once they are updated.

Just updated my post. For some reason it shows a price on iOS 11 but not on iOS 10. Let me see what happens if I ďpurchaseĒ one on 11.

Edit: Yep, itís asking me to buy it. Must be a glitch on the App Store. Because I can still download it again on my iPad Mini 2 on iOS 10.3.
baconcow
Member
(09-06-2017, 11:15 AM)
baconcow's Avatar
Card Thief received update 1.2 and a price increase to $2.99 USD ($3.99 CAD).

Whatís new?

+ Added: The hideout with 10 new thieves
+ Added: Stolen Goods
+ Added: Replays for the Daily Heist
+ Added: Chest cards for Daily and Contract
+ Changed: Blinded enemies are always free to sneak past
+ Changed: The rope arrow wonít attract enemies
+ Changed: Owls canít be shadow stepped
+ Fixed: Blind effect is cancelled when attracted by Noise-Arrow
+ Fixed: Cloud save conflict state
+ Fixed: several smaller bugs and issue

killercow
Member
(09-06-2017, 11:20 AM)
killercow's Avatar

Originally Posted by awp69

Just updated my post. For some reason it shows a price on iOS 11 but not on iOS 10. Let me see what happens if I ďpurchaseĒ one on 11.

Edit: Yep, itís asking me to buy it. Must be a glitch on the App Store. Because I can still download it again on my iPad Mini 2 on iOS 10.3.

It happens sometimes but I'm sure that if you press purchase it'll say that you already own it and let you re-download it for free.
awp69
Member
(09-06-2017, 11:22 AM)
awp69's Avatar

Originally Posted by killercow

It happens sometimes but I'm sure that if you press purchase it'll say that you already own it and let you re-download it for free.

Yeah, just did. First time thatís happened to me on iOS 11.

Sorry for the false alarm!
jon bones
hot hot hanuman-on-man action
(09-06-2017, 11:35 AM)
jon bones's Avatar
kill XCOM a month before iPhone 8

only make best games like Darkest Dungeon on tablet

what will justify the i8? Planescape Torment maybe?
Jarsonot
Member
(09-06-2017, 02:33 PM)
Jarsonot's Avatar

Originally Posted by jon bones

kill XCOM a month before iPhone 8

only make best games like Darkest Dungeon on tablet

what will justify the i8? Planescape Torment maybe?

Maybe they'll showcase VR?
ChackanKun
Member
(09-06-2017, 02:39 PM)
ChackanKun's Avatar
Wow, Iron Marines look stunning!
killercow
Member
(09-06-2017, 03:04 PM)
killercow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jarsonot

Maybe they'll showcase VR?

Nah, AR's going to be the focus with iOS11 and I'm guessing some games will be shown. They don't always show graphically intensive games for new hardware.
Ferulci
Member
(09-06-2017, 03:26 PM)
Ferulci's Avatar

Originally Posted by killercow

The Guides Axiom:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-...265157039?mt=8

Minos Strategos:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mino...256647127?mt=8

Thanks !
PittaGAF
Member
(09-06-2017, 03:49 PM)
PittaGAF's Avatar

Originally Posted by bonesquad

Great (start to a) thread! Most of my gaming time lately has been on Switch, and so did I miss the news Playdek sold some of their games to Asmodee? Or is Playdek completely done now?

I saw Stately Play tweet that both Ascension and Twilight Struggle list Asmodee as the publisher on the App Store. Asmodee has had some good games, but not multiplayer-wise like Playdek was once king at. Ah, Playdek. Once so great, but they reached for that golden apple and failed. Hard.

There should be an official statement by Asmodee soon.
'Soon' being the publisher/dev version of 'soon', so I'm not sure if this year :P

I'm being told Playdek is alive and kicking and this should be a great news (after the Unsung story debacle I was really worried myself).

An interesting note.
The change of publisher/owner was absolutely SEAMLESS.
In the past, every publisher that acquired other devs properties always told me it was impossibile to change ownership, so you had to buy again the apps most always.
It's obviously not the case.

So either Apple changed things or it was bullshit.
Interfectum
Member
(09-06-2017, 03:59 PM)
Interfectum's Avatar

Originally Posted by jon bones

kill XCOM a month before iPhone 8

only make best games like Darkest Dungeon on tablet

what will justify the i8? Planescape Torment maybe?

Animal Crossing and Zelda on stage.

*crosses fingers*
killercow
Member
(09-06-2017, 04:08 PM)
killercow's Avatar

Originally Posted by Interfectum

Animal Crossing and Zelda on stage.

*crosses fingers*

Animal Crossing has to be shown now, it's been so long since it was announced. Wouldn't be too surprised to see Nintendo on stage tbh.
bonesquad
Member
(09-06-2017, 04:27 PM)
bonesquad's Avatar

Originally Posted by PittaGAF

There should be an official statement by Asmodee soon.
'Soon' being the publisher/dev version of 'soon', so I'm not sure if this year :P

I'm being told Playdek is alive and kicking and this should be a great news (after the Unsung story debacle I was really worried myself).

That is good news. I haven't played Ascension online in ages so whatever, but if Playdek can get back to making games that are released that is a positive.


Originally Posted by baconcow

Card Thief received update 1.2 and a price increase to $2.99 USD ($3.99 CAD).

I should give this game another shot. I felt I understood the rules but could never put them into practice. The game felt like a random mess. Which maybe means I didn't understand the rules...
More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(09-06-2017, 04:34 PM)
More_Badass's Avatar

Originally Posted by bonesquad

I should give this game another shot. I felt I understood the rules but could never put them into practice. The game felt like a random mess. Which maybe means I didn't understand the rules...

Card Thief is anything but random, you can see the outcome of every move and fine-tune and experiment until you have the perfect route. There is an element of randomness, but the rules are able to be learned and mastered
jon bones
hot hot hanuman-on-man action
(09-06-2017, 04:35 PM)
jon bones's Avatar

Originally Posted by Interfectum

Animal Crossing and Zelda on stage.

*crosses fingers*

i mean thats still not a reason to upgrade, as my Switch will get the real Animal Crossing

i just wish some of these pc ports like FTL, Darkest, XCOM etc would come (and stay) on iPhones
Last edited by jon bones; 09-06-2017 at 04:44 PM.
bonesquad
Member
(09-06-2017, 05:16 PM)
bonesquad's Avatar

Originally Posted by More_Badass

Card Thief is anything but random, you can see the outcome of every move and fine-tune and experiment until you have the perfect route. There is an element of randomness, but the rules are able to be learned and mastered

I guess I meant it felt random more than the game actually is random. Every turn rather than feeling like I was trying to make the best move or set up a good move, the game felt like I was trying to make the least crappy move. So trying to get a better score felt like luck of the draw. But again I'll admit that could be the fact I just suck at the game.
Tunesmith
formerly "chigiri"
(09-06-2017, 07:16 PM)
Tunesmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by jon bones

kill XCOM a month before iPhone 8

only make best games like Darkest Dungeon on tablet

what will justify the i8? Planescape Torment maybe?

Infinity Blade IV #Believe
baconcow
Member
(09-06-2017, 07:26 PM)
baconcow's Avatar

Originally Posted by jon bones

kill XCOM a month before iPhone 8

XCOM will be back.
PittaGAF
Member
(09-06-2017, 08:21 PM)
PittaGAF's Avatar
Warhammer Quest 2 hype ramping up.

http://statelyplay.com/2017/09/06/ye...n-the-details/
jon bones
hot hot hanuman-on-man action
(09-06-2017, 08:28 PM)
jon bones's Avatar

Originally Posted by baconcow

XCOM will be back.

too late already bought 2 + expack

if they announced THAT id have pre ordered the 8 already

who am i fooling i will still get it for oled giant bomb east vids on my commute 😭
One Foul Note
Member
(09-06-2017, 09:42 PM)
One Foul Note's Avatar

Originally Posted by PittaGAF

Warhammer Quest 2 hype ramping up.

http://statelyplay.com/2017/09/06/ye...n-the-details/

Sounds top, I look forward to that one. Interesting to see the response to the multiplayer question, although it won't be in the game the dev does express interest in perhaps pursuing it in future.
Mario
Sidhe / PikPok
(09-06-2017, 10:48 PM)
Mario's Avatar

Originally Posted by PittaGAF

An interesting note.
The change of publisher/owner was absolutely SEAMLESS.
In the past, every publisher that acquired other devs properties always told me it was impossibile to change ownership, so you had to buy again the apps most always.
It's obviously not the case.

So either Apple changed things or it was bullshit.

So, app transfer has always been seamless EXCEPT where a game supports iCloud. In that case, there is some technical blocking factor that has made it impossible to transfer apps.

That always felt like an odd and presumably unintentional limitation but I can understand how it could happen. But that is actually a real limitation we faced when trying to transfer one of our apps to another company. It's possible there are other things which are iCloud-esque which also create a problem (and possible this limit has recently been removed too).

App transfer is therefore only seamless sometimes.
PittaGAF
Member
(09-06-2017, 11:02 PM)
PittaGAF's Avatar
Thanks for the insight.

Asmodee may don't know how to properly do some things (like proper async :P) but they sure know how to acquire apps property.
Now that I think about it, they got also Pathfinder from Obsidian.
Tunesmith
formerly "chigiri"
(09-07-2017, 12:47 AM)
Tunesmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by One Foul Note

Sounds top, I look forward to that one. Interesting to see the response to the multiplayer question, although it won't be in the game the dev does express interest in perhaps pursuing it in future.

Rodeo-legacy games will never have multiplayer. Ever.

The developer(s) have promised multiplayer as coming in some form for every game since they released Hunters 1.
Matt Frost
Member
(09-07-2017, 01:44 AM)
Matt Frost's Avatar
I bought all Radiangames before and when i go to download some it says that i have to buy them, as in i never bought them... very strange???
awp69
Member
(09-07-2017, 01:59 AM)
awp69's Avatar

Originally Posted by Matt Frost

I bought all Radiangames before and when i go to download some it says that i have to buy them, as in i never bought them... very strange???

Brought this up earlier. If you go to purchase them, itíll then say you wonít be charged because you already purchased the item.

Remember this happening occasionally in the past but not in a long while and not on iOS 11 at all. But they should be ďfreeĒ despite the price.
awp69
Member
(09-07-2017, 05:44 AM)
awp69's Avatar
Wow. Lost Socks just got a HUGE update including level improvements, rebalanced game economy and checkpoints!

I absolutely adore the game but embarssed to admit I have not finished it because it is damn difficult. But looking forward to getting back into one of my favorite iOS games of all time!!!

Edit: Wait!!! It went F2P! :(

Not sure if the balance was tweaked for the worst in the process but time will tell.
Last edited by awp69; 09-07-2017 at 06:28 AM.
PittaGAF
Member
(09-07-2017, 10:40 AM)
PittaGAF's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tunesmith

Rodeo-legacy games will never have multiplayer. Ever.

The developer(s) have promised multiplayer as coming in some form for every game since they released Hunters 1.

While sadly true, to be fair I actually played Deathwatch multiplayer during the beta, so they could deliver or at least they did try (as far as I remember DW was the only title that officially should have had multiplayer, the others where wishes).
It was really stellar and super fun (you fought squad vs squad against friends in special, very cool, maps...with proper async too that seamlessly switched on realtime if both players where online).
Unfortunately, the week before it was supposed to go online, Apple updated iOS and Game Center had all kind of issues for months, and Rodeo stopped its activities (for new content, they recently updated WHQ to 64 bits) before they could patch it.

It still stings....because during the beta I had really a TON of fun with the mp and would have guaranteed a much stronger staying power to the game.

TD:DR I actually think it will never come, and I think especially the WHQ franchise is less suited to mp and more focused on a solo experience, but eventually they could do it.
At least I hope :)
Moreche
Member
(09-07-2017, 11:09 AM)
I've sold my Xbox One and PS4 and purchased an iPad Pro as I just don't have the time and enthusiasm for consoles anymore.
I know iOS gaming was huge a few years ago but is it still as healthy nowadays or is it dwindling?
Thanks.
8sanders
Murderer's Gut Feelingô
(09-07-2017, 12:41 PM)
8sanders's Avatar

Originally Posted by Moreche

I've sold my Xbox One and PS4 and purchased an iPad Pro as I just don't have the time and enthusiasm for consoles anymore.
I know iOS gaming was huge a few years ago but is it still as healthy nowadays or is it dwindling?
Thanks.

Stronger than ever! I recommend a good MFi controller. Really should be able to satisfy your gaming itch.
Moreche
Member
(09-07-2017, 01:14 PM)

Originally Posted by 8sanders

Stronger than ever! I recommend a good MFi controller. Really should be able to satisfy your gaming itch.

Thanks, much appreciated.
awp69
Member
(09-07-2017, 01:35 PM)
awp69's Avatar
Atomine is out. $2.99

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...084537215&mt=8

Edit: After playing a bit, might want to hold off on this. Itís a good, stylish dual stick shooter but the frame rate isnít great. I know there is some distortion thatís part of the whole hacking / cyber theme. But thatís not the issue (iPhone 6S Plus, iOS 11).

Iím off to work but will play more later.
Last edited by awp69; 09-07-2017 at 01:51 PM.
PittaGAF
Member
(09-07-2017, 02:39 PM)
PittaGAF's Avatar
L.A. Noir has been announced for Switch with gesture touch controls.
I wonder if somehow they can port it to iOS too.

Would be cool.
killercow
Member
(09-07-2017, 02:42 PM)
killercow's Avatar

Originally Posted by PittaGAF

L.A. Noir has been announced for Switch with gesture touch controls.
I wonder if somehow they can port it to iOS too.

Would be cool.

They could. The Switch is technically inferior to the latest iPads (and soon iPhones) but the market still isn't there so we won't see it for a number of years if at all. The next game from Rockstar on iOS is going to be interesting, they are starting to get to bigger and bigger games after Bully and it could be GTA IV (would be quite impressive). But we also could see Manhunt or Max Payne II.
awp69
Member
(09-07-2017, 04:30 PM)
awp69's Avatar
The dev of Lost Socks wrote a long post over on TA in regards to the switch to F2P. Basically, nothing was changed in terms of difficulty and, in fact, the game is probably easier due to the addition of checkpoints. The changes fix other things but added the ability to earn coins through IAPs or watching ads. Sounds like they did a lot to improve the game and also make it painless to existing buyer. No timers or energy, etc.

I, personally, am loving the checkpoints!
Oynox
Member
(09-07-2017, 04:36 PM)
Oynox's Avatar

Originally Posted by awp69

The dev of Lost Socks wrote a long post over on TA in regards to the switch to F2P. Basically, nothing was changed in terms of difficulty and, in fact, the game is probably easier due to the addition of checkpoints. The changes fix other things but added the ability to earn coins through IAPs or watching ads. Sounds like they did a lot to improve the game and also make it painless to existing buyer. No timers or energy, etc.

I, personally, am loving the checkpoints!

Did they change the coin balance regarding buying skills etc.?

Thread Tools