• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG dev Bluehole concerned over Fortnite's Battle Royale [Up: Background Both Sides]

HiiiLife

Surprised it took so long for battle royale games to take off.

FFA with more than 6-8 people always seemed like it'd attract a crowd.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bluehole was a company literally founded by the developers of Lineage 3 stealing the code and art assets from NCSoft and making their own game TERA with it. Afterwards, they made Diablo clone Devilian.

Pooya

They should, it's a complete rip off. There is a difference being in same genre and a rip off like fortnite. Even some of the animation or UI elements is exact copy.

Bluehole licenses Unreal Engine 4 from Epic Games...creates megahit PUBG
Epic Games rips off PUBG by implementing battle royal mode in Fortnite using Unreal Engine 4
Epic Games mentions PUBG in advertisement for Fortnite without discussing first with Bluehole

IMO, Bluehole is right to be concerned.

Building a game for UE4 doesn't imply some sort of super special secret relationship with Epic anymore. It's a pretty open engine.

Bluehole was a company literally founded by the developers of Lineage 3 stealing the code and art assets from NCSoft and making their own game TERA with it. Afterwards, they made Diablo clone Devilian.

Yeah it's a company with that history plus the fact that PUBG is so heavily indebted creatively to its predecessors like Dayz, H1Z1, and the Battle Royale film that it's laughable that they have the balls to insinuate some sort of violation on Epic's part.

Pastry

Banned
This is why the marketing idea with MS was short sighted. They’re going to be beaten to the PS4 by multiple devs so they can chase a marketing deal for the XBX? I just don’t get that decision, it was really fucking stupid. If you’re making money hand over fist you put it all into getting on the console with the larger user base as quick as possible.

I mean, guys, you were first, but given the tech side of your game is not there yet, it's a given a major player will come in and make it far better.

If I were PU, I'd be investing my profits right now, for they won't last long.
Lol. 1.3 million concurrent players aren't going to suddenly disappear. Not even when Ubisoft or someone else copies PUBG.

Kolx

If Red Dead Redemption 2 Online has a Battle Royale mode than PUBG has no chance on consoles.

Anyway, could Epic revoke the license of UE4 to Bluehole or refuse to renew it?
Wouldn't that fuck their reputation and drive developers away?

of course they'd feel this way then. cheaters are always the most paranoid someone is gonna cheat on them.

They should, it's a complete rip off. There is a difference being in same genre and a rip off like fortnite. Even some of the animation or UI elements is exact copy.

Hmmm.

So Fornite rips off PUBG rips off H1Z1. I'm sure it goes back further than that...

Point is, nothing is original. Fortnite does more to distinguish itself from PUBG than PUBG does from H1Z1.... from what I've seen at least.

I'm not a fan of creatively broke copy cats never been so i can see why bluehole is pissed. Epic basically stole the games whole formula including Animations ui etc they should sue

Blam

lol do they think they own the Battle Royale brand. Still tho EPIC shouldn't be using the name of another game in their marketing.

FyreWulff

Bluehole licenses Unreal Engine 4 from Epic Games...creates megahit PUBG
Epic Games rips off PUBG by implementing battle royal mode in Fortnite using Unreal Engine 4
Epic Games mentions PUBG in advertisement for Fortnite without discussing first with Bluehole

IMO, Bluehole is right to be concerned.

Local Game Made In Same Engine As Other Game Finds It Easy To Replicate Other Game's Gameplay

NeOak

of course they'd feel this way then. cheaters are always the most paranoid someone is gonna cheat on them.
True. But those developers left after the lawsuit. And TERA went downhill in quality of content due to that.

Playing TERA since open beta, it was noticeable how suddenly art direction and what seemed to be planned was scrapped.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Isn't it similar to MOBA? I mean DOTA, HON and LOL all look similar and there are no lawsuits there. I don't know if they have any ground here.
Ignoring that your argument is correct in that lawsuits over games styles rarely occur for good reason. No one really owns dota so there's no aggrieved party. It started off as a mod for Warcraft 3 so blizzard has certain rights but it's not creatively there's. It's a bit of a legal mess but there's a reason why Dota 2 isn't called defense of the ancients 2.

Tiops

LMAO at the title change.

And they're stupid about complaining about this. Successfull games are "copied" all the time. Hopefully one of those copies can run at more than 15 FPS when running the game at Medium configuration.

Sounds like a great way to stop people using your engine.

Wouldn't that fuck their reputation and drive developers away?
I'm not saying that they should or even would, I am just curious if it's within their rights to do so.

The ๖ۜBronx;249656565 said:
I like the way you think.
It's almost a certainty. If one game can toss PUBG in the dustbin on consoles, it's RDR2.

GodofWine

No we don't? lol. Reason why people play CSGO on those settings is because they copy pro csgo players when they are using settings from 1999 to get the most framerate and they win with it. We don't spend thousands of dollars to not get polish and bling lol

OK, in competitive type games. Or maybe I meant to say PC Communities also last longer despite new games coming out. I can play COD 2 right now on PC, because people still like it (not many though :) ) , or an older BF, but console moves on fast to the next shiny thing.

I had a point damnit :) , A pro-pc point, I swear I did.

z0m3le

Banned
Beyond PS4 users, I'm not sure it matters.

As long as PUBG continues to update its game. It is the leader of the pack and because there will be dozens of clones, none should challenge the one already in place.

Counter Strike is still Counter Strike, even if Battlefield and Call of Duty copied it's gameplay a decade and a half ago.

If Red Dead Redemption 2 Online has a Battle Royale mode than PUBG has no chance on consoles.

I can't even imagine. That Xbox deal would be literally for nothing. Hell it'll probably still be for nothing. The PS4 will get its AAA clone in only a matter of time.

mnannola

Anyone that is saying PUBG has a right to be pissed, does this mean H1Z1 devs have a right to be pissed about PUBG stealing a ton of what makes King of the Kill fun? Unless Bluehole has some kind of rights to King of the Kill, there is a metric ton of similarities between those two games, and King of the Kill did it first.

I also think it was a mod on ArmA first, but I don't think it was a paid mod so that may not matter.

Venfayth

Where was this concern for the other Battle Royale like games?

PlayerUnknown was involved with all of the major ones (Arma 3 BR, H1Z1 KOTK, and now PUBG)

This concern is now emerging because PUBG is the biggest game on Steam and Twitch right now, and Bluehole wants to protect that revenue.

Anyone that is saying PUBG has a right to be pissed, does this mean H1Z1 devs have a right to be pissed about PUBG stealing a ton of what makes King of the Kill fun? Unless Bluehole has some kind of rights to King of the Kill, there is a metric ton of similarities between those two games, and King of the Kill did it first.

I also think it was a mod on ArmA first, but I don't think it was a paid mod so that may not matter.

I don't think anyone has a right to be pissed about genre ideas, but see my above comments, all of these games share a common author.

NotLiquid

Until Konami learns what netcode is please don't. Mgo is bad because of it and the player count is 16.

I'm speaking in an ideal world where the netcode of the game would be good of course.

Unfortunately we don't live in that ideal world, because more than just not having good online functionality, Konami are just allergic to good ideas - such as an MGO with a Battle Royale mode that would actually justify MGSV's dumb as hell oversized map.

How is pubg different from day z

Genuinely asking because i dont understand its success if theyre all the same concept

Id really like to see Last of Us do it as the mechanics are all there

Top Bottom